• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

KingGondo

Banned
what do you recommend to only loose fat/weight? Only Cardio X & Kenpo??
As recommended above, it's important to do all the workouts. I didn't lose a ton of weight on my first P90X run (about 10 lbs), but my body composition changed dramatically.

Give it your all for a month and I guarantee you'll notice a difference.

P.S. As far as the best cardio workouts go, I'd say Yoga X and Plyo are the best, though.

KingGondo

Banned
I do, and I tend to try a new recipe on the weekends. Sunday night is usually my cooking night. My main issue with food is on the weekends I want something different than the chicken, etc. that I've been eating all week, and I'm usually out of the house.

I'm trying to find stuff that I can buy and whip up quick to eat that doesn't take long for weekend lunches and stuff.

I think the diet on weekends is the last thing holding me back, it's just so hard to change because I'm such a person of habit. I get groceries every Thursday and buy a Sunday night meal, and then buy some item that I can eat for 3 meals on the weekend. Usually it's turkey dogs or something. I then end up eating that meal once, and eating out 3 times due to friends. :p

I'm getting there, but the holidays kill me too.
A slow cooker is your best friend. Lots of protein-centric recipes out there that will provide some variety from the standard grilled chicken grind. It's also super-convenient to come home to an already-cooked meal.

This chicken chili recipe is fantastic and there's really nothing bad in it (plus you'll have leftovers for a few days): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/.../slow-cooker-chicken-chili-recipe2/index.html

Also, I make this cashew chicken regularly and it is quite delicious over brown rice:

http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com/2009/12/day-336-cashew-chicken.html?m=1

nickcv

A slow cooker is your best friend. Lots of protein-centric recipes out there that will provide some variety from the standard grilled chicken grind. It's also super-convenient to come home to an already-cooked meal.

This chicken chili recipe is fantastic and there's really nothing bad in it (plus you'll have leftovers for a few days): http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/.../slow-cooker-chicken-chili-recipe2/index.html

Also, I make this cashew chicken regularly and it is quite delicious over brown rice:

the first chicken recipe sounds great... i wanna try that one.

do you guy can suggest other recipes for food to bring over to the office?
keep in mind that all i have here is a microwave, so it must be something that taste good if either cold or re-heated

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Hmm, good idea. I have yet to get a slow cooker. Maybe it is time.

KingGondo

Banned
Hmm, good idea. I have yet to get a slow cooker. Maybe it is time.
Just grab a cheap Crock Pot--some have built-in timers, or you can use an outlet timer (the kind you'd use for your lights on vacation) to turn the outlet on or off.

They're fantastic. You get the depth of flavor of a slowly-simmered meal with 1/10 the effort and supervision.

IrishNinja

3 days in, already wishing it was P30x heh

chest & back was worst so far (as far as soreness, cause i'd let that stuff slide), today was shoulders & tris, followed by ab ripper x which holy crap i think i did half of that, that bit is short but no joke

I've never completed p90x in my life but have half-assed it many times over. However, I just did my first workout after months of doing absolutely nothing, and... my god... my strength has completely left me. I am so angry with myself for being lazy.

At least now I know the repercussions of not training. I'm going to completely throw myself into p90x and do everything to the maximum of my ability.

KingGondo

Banned
I've never completed p90x in my life but have half-assed it many times over. However, I just did my first workout after months of doing absolutely nothing, and... my god... my strength has completely left me. I am so angry with myself for being lazy.

At least now I know the repercussions of not training. I'm going to completely throw myself into p90x and do everything to the maximum of my ability.
Good luck! And the best thing you can do is post often in this thread for motivation and accountability.

Good luck! And the best thing you can do is post often in this thread for motivation and accountability.
Thanks. My goal was to do the mass building schedule but I'm going to skip that because I can't do the workouts hard enough to build significant muscle tissue. So what I'm going to do is start p90x classic starting tomorrow and do every workout to failure/until my muscles feel like they're on fire.

Fat loss, strength and muscular endurance will be my goal.

Island

So P90GAF....

I will type up my progress/history/screenshots when I have more time but a quick question.

I completed the first 4 weeks of P90X (missed a couple yogas), was doing good but then the Christmas staff party happened, and then I got sick a couple days later. So I have missed an entire week now. My eating hasnt been the worst (but not the best either). Should I just jump back in with week 5? Or should I redo week 4? Today is the first day that I actually feel like I could do a workout, should I do it today? Or I just write the week off and start on Monday again?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So P90GAF....

I will type up my progress/history/screenshots when I have more time but a quick question.

I completed the first 4 weeks of P90X (missed a couple yogas), was doing good but then the Christmas staff party happened, and then I got sick a couple days later. So I have missed an entire week now. My eating hasnt been the worst (but not the best either). Should I just jump back in with week 5? Or should I redo week 4? Today is the first day that I actually feel like I could do a workout, should I do it today? Or I just write the week off and start on Monday again?

Week 4 is Recovery, so I'd advise to just start week 5 and do it now.

I'm also going to hold off on Yoga until the recovery week (because I remember I always used to be too wiped out from shoulders & arms the day before) and substitute Kenpo for the "strength and conditioning" workout from Rushfit. I could never take kenpo seriously and rushfit's workouts tend to be more generalised and hit the areas that I really need.

It sounds like a cop out but I'm well aware of the things that made me quit all of those times before and this time I want to succeed.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Diet's been bad lately. Thanksgiving, vacation, holiday parties, Christmas coming up, etc. I'm still working out hard but I'm eating poorly, and too much. I'm not going to forego a few holiday treats over the next few weeks, but I will be cutting back on carbs again. Time to start tracking nutrients again.

Started week 3 of P90X2 Phase 2 yesterday. I think that after this past month's poor diet I am going to stick with my plan and do Les Mills Combat when I finish X2. I need some more daily calorie burn.

Don't know how much is this can be attributed to stress, as I am going to school and work full-time, but it's something I have been thinking about. For the past few months I have really tried to up the ante with P90X - heavier weights for all resistance training (25lb and 20 for all curls), doing pull-ups without assistance, try to hit certain rep counts, like pull-ups (15), push-ups (30), etc.

And more and more I have found myself dreading working out despite having completed P90X and P90X2.

I remember back then, despite being terribly out of shape, I used to look forward to exercising. All I cared about was showing up and aiming for improvement. Nowadays I find myself really wanting to avoid the resistance workouts, really grimacing at the idea of doing pull-ups. All in all, getting ready for a workout feels like a major operation (making sure I have enough food in my stomach, enough rest, etc.) rather than just showing up and pushing play.

I have decided to change my approach for the next couple of weeks. I am going to let go a lot of the expectations mentioned above: lighten the weights, just do as much as pull-ups I can (or even do all assisted ones in the 2nd round), etc. I want to enjoy working out again. I think something is wrong when dread is the overwhelming emotion going into one.

I had major improvements in my last Chest & Back work out compared to a month ago :)

241 push ups -> 244 push ups (both were with push up bars)
55 pull up/chinups unassisted -> 63 pull up/chinups unassisted
514 calories burned -> 545 calories burned

I wonder how much of it was strength gains from a month of P90X and changing my creatine supplement. I also noticed I'm doing a better job of not holding my breathe when doing pull ups/chin ups which means I need less breaks during the set.

Les Mills Combat just came in. I'm heading to STL for my wife's family Xmas party but will be jumping in on Sunday. Packaging looks very similar to Insanity, but I'm going to enjoy having 2 rest days a week on the Basic program during the busy Winter/Holiday season. My wife got me the version with the MMA gloves; they look kind of silly but supposedly they help keep your firsts clenched and in proper form...we'll see.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Les Mills Combat just came in. I'm heading to STL for my wife's family Xmas party but will be jumping in on Sunday. Packaging looks very similar to Insanity, but I'm going to enjoy having 2 rest days a week on the Basic program during the busy Winter/Holiday season. My wife got me the version with the MMA gloves; they look kind of silly but supposedly they help keep your firsts clenched and in proper form...we'll see.

Let us know how it is. Program looks awesome as hell.

FOOTE

It's gonna be warmer than usual here for this time of year over the weekend. And yes please give us your thoughts about it when you start up. After Body Beast I'm going to need to cut some fat pretty quickly and it's going to be between Insanity (which I'd be fine with) or buying LMC (which I don't really know much about). Let us know!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
BeautifulMemory, it's hard to say for sure but my guess is that you just have too much on your plate right now. You're probably doing the right thing. You might also consider dropping your current routine completely for something different -- like maybe Insanity, Asylum or Les Mills Combat. Asylum is a good choice because it's only 30 days and you can get back to a strength program more quickly if that's your main goal.

I'd also suggest you evaluate your sleep schedule. Perhaps the duration and quality of your sleep gave declined since you started your new schedule. That'll definitely have an effect. Melatonin can help you fall asleep faster, and a pre-workout drink like Pharm Assault, 5 hour energy, or even just a b vitamin complex supplement can help to kick you into gear.

While I don't have all the equipement yet, I'm gonna go ahead and give ploycide a try today instead of doing regular cardio. I figure, why not? I'll report back after with my thoughts!

BeautifulMemory, it's hard to say for sure but my guess is that you just have too much on your plate right now. You're probably doing the right thing. You might also consider dropping your current routine completely for something different -- like maybe Insanity, Asylum or Les Mills Combat. Asylum is a good choice because it's only 30 days and you can get back to a strength program more quickly if that's your main goal.

I'd also suggest you evaluate your sleep schedule. Perhaps the duration and quality of your sleep gave declined since you started your new schedule. That'll definitely have an effect. Melatonin can help you fall asleep faster, and a pre-workout drink like Pharm Assault, 5 hour energy, or even just a b vitamin complex supplement can help to kick you into gear.

Thank you Steve.

yeah it has been a lot. I might even cut my workout days to 4 days next semester. Maybe just skip Chest/Back or Chest/Shoulder/Tris

Insanity/Aslyum is out of picture because I think you have told me before there are inevitable jump moves, and I live on the second floor of an old apartment. Les Mills Combat looks fascinating, but again I don't know if I have enough physical and mental energy to absorb all new routine right now. I will do more research on it though

And I think you are right on about the sleeping schedule. Regardless of my stress level it helps. I can't afford any pre-workout drink right now, but I will tell you that I am going to experiment to drink protein drink before resistance workouts to avoid any bonking.

Thanks again your feedback is really valuable, as I am re-evaluating my options.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So this week starts my 3 week holiday "plan" for P90x. I'll be doing mostly cardio as I'll be at the parents' place without weights. This week I'll be at my place for 3 days though, so I am requesting of you all what 3 workouts should I do?

I was thinking X2 Plyo today, Kenpo tomorrow, then cardio X Wednesday. Any other suggestions? I'll be doing something similar when I leave for the holidays.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So this week starts my 3 week holiday "plan" for P90x. I'll be doing mostly cardio as I'll be at the parents' place without weights. This week I'll be at my place for 3 days though, so I am requesting of you all what 3 workouts should I do?

I was thinking X2 Plyo today, Kenpo tomorrow, then cardio X Wednesday. Any other suggestions? I'll be doing something similar when I leave for the holidays.

I would always throw in at least one Yoga. It's quiet, and you don't need much space or equipment.

FOOTE

Maybe you can squeeze in core synergistics. As i recall some of the moves did require light weights. But if you engage your core for those moves, you can get away with doing the moves without weight.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Maybe you can squeeze in core synergistics. As i recall some of the moves did require light weights. But if you engage your core for those moves, you can get away with doing the moves without weight.

Good call.

Core today, Plyo tomorrow, yoga Wednesday? That's a pretty rounded cardio/core workout schedule right?

fuenf

I decided to jump in and I'm now getting P90X for christmas. I'm on the skinny side too and I mainly want to do it to improve my general fitness (and to prove myself...). However I've got a couple of questions: Should I go with resistance bands or dumbbells? Do I need 1 or 2 Yoga Blocks ?

Good call.

Core today, Plyo tomorrow, yoga Wednesday? That's a pretty rounded cardio/core workout schedule right?

I think that's a pretty good mix. Anyone else?

It's really good mix and balance for a total body workout over 3 days!

fuenf said:
I decided to jump in and I'm now getting P90X for christmas. I'm on the skinny side too and I mainly want to do it to improve my general fitness (and to prove myself...). However I've got a couple of questions: Should I go with resistance bands or dumbbells? Do I need 1 or 2 Yoga Blocks ?

If you can, go with dumbbells. Bands work too but you will want to watch out for having it snapped. I personally find dumbbells to be much more enjoyable.

Yoga block, just one.

fuenf

If you can, go with dumbbells. Bands work too but you will want to watch out for having it snapped. I personally find dumbbells to be much more enjoyable.

Yoga block, just one.

Thanks I just ordered a yoga mat and one block. I think I'll go with the dumbbells, is something like this okay (sorry for the German link)? http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0077JW5TQ/

The lightest config for one dumbbell would be 2,5kg / 5,5 lbs (just the bar) and the heaviest 10kg (22 lbs).

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Thanks I just ordered a yoga mat and one block. I think I'll go with the dumbbells, is something like this okay (sorry for the German link)? http://www.amazon.de/dp/B0077JW5TQ/

The lightest config for one dumbbell would be 2,5kg / 5,5 lbs (just the bar) and the heaviest 10kg (22 lbs).

Those would be ok if you currently are not very strong and can't curl / press a lot. After a while though, you should definitely get heavier dumbbells.

yeah funef that's fine, since you are just starting and getting to know your strength. Start light is a good thing especially because you will work various muscles and they can all be of different strengths: biceps (curls), triceps (reverse curls), shoulders, etc.

one thing about those dumbbells you linked though: it looks like weights are interchangable, this means you want to get used to changing them during the workouts, as you will probably need to change them quiet often.

For example, the third workout you will hit is shoulder/biceps/triceps, this means it is likely you will need to use somewhat different weights for almost every exercise. Something to keep ind mind :)

fuenf

Thanks for the input, just ordered them. I decided to go with the 30kg (2x15) dumbbell set, it was only 12€ more and i'm getting 2 bars, 4x1,25kg and 8x2,5kg weights. I think this set should offer enough flexibility at the start. Changing the weights between workouts will probably suck, but it was the cheapest / most flexible option.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Thanks for the input, just ordered them. I decided to go with the 30kg (2x15) dumbbell set, it was only 12€ more and i'm getting 2 bars, 4x1,25kg and 8x2,5kg weights. I think this set should offer enough flexibility at the start. Changing the weights between workouts will probably suck, but it was the cheapest / most flexible option.

Don't be afraid to pause the video when you change weights. I sometimes do that and I have adjustable dumb bells. Particularly early in the program -- I'll watch the first few reps to see proper form, then pause, set weights, and rewind to the beginning of the set.

Conveniently, each set of exercises is on a chapter mark, so if your remote has a |< button you can get to the start of the set with one push.

fuenf

Don't be afraid to pause the video when you change weights. I sometimes do that and I have adjustable dumb bells. Particularly early in the program -- I'll watch the first few reps to see proper form, then pause, set weights, and rewind to the beginning of the set.

Conveniently, each set of exercises is on a chapter mark, so if your remote has a |< button you can get to the start of the set with one push.

Awesome tip, thanks :) I cant wait for all this stuff to get here.

apesh1t

Banned
I started this a while back but quit due to depression/time. Right after Thanksgiving I started back up, and have been going strong. My flexability sucks nor do I feel that it's getting any better. The yoga hurts my back, like to the point that I have to stop. My sister gave me a yoga DVD and I do that on the yoga days. It's not just back ripping yoga, but total body.

I haven't lost any weight, but I was already pretty skinny to begin with (6'2, 165), in fact, I've put weight on, which is good. I can see my stomach getting more defined, and my arms getting bigger. I regret getting the bands, because some of the exercises suck with them, while others you can't use at all. I still can barely do more than 3 chin ups in a row, but my weight is so off. I have to bend my knees just to keep from hitting the ground, even then they're only about a foot off the ground. Mostly, anything that hurts my back, I don't see myself ever being able to do. Some of the exercises don't take into consideration people with long legs. Those leg exercises (the wall sitting) are insane. That shit takes some strong legs to do one legged.

I started this a while back but quit due to depression/time. Right after Thanksgiving I started back up, and have been going strong. My flexability sucks nor do I feel that it's getting any better. The yoga hurts my back, like to the point that I have to stop. My sister gave me a yoga DVD and I do that on the yoga days. It's not just back ripping yoga, but total body.

I haven't lost any weight, but I was already pretty skinny to begin with (6'2, 165), in fact, I've put weight on, which is good. I can see my stomach getting more defined, and my arms getting bigger. I regret getting the bands, because some of the exercises suck with them, while others you can't use at all. I still can barely do more than 3 chin ups in a row, but my weight is so off. I have to bend my knees just to keep from hitting the ground, even then they're only about a foot off the ground. Mostly, anything that hurts my back, I don't see myself ever being able to do. Some of the exercises don't take into consideration people with long legs. Those leg exercises (the wall sitting) are insane. That shit takes some strong legs to do one legged.

Sounds like you are really making progress and are involved with the program. Keep it up! You are doing great

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Forgot how long it's been since I did Core Synergistics. I about died last night. Those are some hard moves. (And I make it through most X/X2 workouts alright). :p

I think I am going to do an Insanity workout tonight instead of Plyo. I'm starting to feel that burnt out sensation after doing all of the X/X2 workouts over and over.

I also think I'll end my hybrid with the end of the year. I want to start a new program fresh in January.

KingGondo

Banned
Forgot how long it's been since I did Core Synergistics. I about died last night. Those are some hard moves. (And I make it through most X/X2 workouts alright). :p

I think I am going to do an Insanity workout tonight instead of Plyo. I'm starting to feel that burnt out sensation after doing all of the X/X2 workouts over and over.

I also think I'll end my hybrid with the end of the year. I want to start a new program fresh in January.
Core Syn is some good shit. Probably the best single overall cardio/strength workout in X or X2.

I'm convinced that if you just did Core Syn 4-5 times a week and nothing else, you'd get in really good shape.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This is crazy. I weighted myself 2 weeks ago and I was at 187 with clothes on. I weighted myself yesterday and I'm at 195. I find this really surprising since I have been eating just slighly more than when I was doing P90X, probably around 2800 - 3000 calories (I'm 6'3").

Body Beast seems to be doing its job. I'm gonna start the Bulk phase today.

This is crazy. I weighted myself 2 weeks ago and I was at 187 with clothes on. I weighted myself yesterday and I'm at 195. I find this really surprising since I have been eating just slighly more than when I was doing P90X.

Body Beast seems to be doing its job. I'm gonna start the Bulk phase today.

Damn at 195. What's your goal? How have you been adjusting your new food intake?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Damn lol, I eat like 1600 calories and am doing P90X/2 and can't lose weight. I've been stuck at 199-204 or so since before I did Insanity. Gets frustrating. Especially when I have about 10-15 lbs left to lose.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'd like to get a solid, defined body at 215 pounds. For my height I think that would look good.

As a reference, back in June I had a terrible cold for like 2 weeks and was at 168 pounds, so I gained all this weight fast I'd say. It also feels like good weight, since I didn't grow a gut, although I feel a little soft in some spots.

As for the diet, that's the surprising part; I haven't changed it at all! I'm less picky now when it comes to snacks, but I'm still eating the way P90X taught me (whole grains, fruits, veggies, lean meats, etc). As for supplements, I've been only taking Syntha 6 Whey and Creatine.

Top Bottom