• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

antti-la

Okay thanks for the response Foote!

So BodyBeast seems too overwhelming equipment wise. It's more convenient and effective to just get a gym membership at that point I think.

Especially because I read that stability ball + dumbbells really isn't a best or most effective way of doing BodyBeast workouts. It's kind of like replacing pull ups of P90X with bands.

Maybe I'll just stick with good ol' P90X once again. Had an awesome Chest & Back yesterday cause I did it on mute and blasted on some tunes with it. Got even a little bit of DOMS for the morning which is getting really rare these days.

Too bad plyo,yoga,kempo etc. is a bit hard to do muted with music playing. Resistance workouts seems to be doable this way however.

my P90x/ Body Beast gym (pullup bar is on the door...sorry no pic lol)

6dzYz.jpg

these are old pics so i dont have the curl bar in those shots

Rubbish King

The gift that keeps on giving
Man I really wanna do this after I finish my work contract but the dieting is a real bitch as I live with my family of 6..Meaning getting the dietary requirements will be a bitch with the fridge always full of crap.. After doing a few weeks of it last year I gave into the chocolatey goodness... Also being a smoker sucks, how do you do it? Don't suppose anyone was in a similar situation to me?

Man I really wanna do this after I finish my work contract but the dieting is a real bitch as I live with my family of 6..Meaning getting the dietary requirements will be a bitch with the fridge always full of crap.. After doing a few weeks of it last year I gave into the chocolatey goodness... Also being a smoker sucks, how do you do it? Don't suppose anyone was in a similar situation to me?

i smoke sometimes and the only food i eat is what evers in the fridge..... so im not on the diet. theres not to much junk food in there but its a bitch to try not and eat it lol. i do eat it when im drunk though

FOOTE

It all depends on your goals.

Doing P90X will help you no matter what your diet is. Obviously though, if you're eating junk food you wont see results. Can't help at all with the smoking part. I'm glad I never got into it.

Stampy

I guess it's just easier to stop smoking if you get into this health type of lifestyle. exercising, proper food, and smoking is the only intruder . Easier to get rid of it then.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So even on my vacation I've been doing some workouts. There's a great fitness center at the resort where I'm staying. Tuesday I took a class called "hard core" that combined some aerobic moves with stability ball work and body weight & light dumbbell work, all with a focus on the core. Wednesday I did the first half of P90X Yoga, and later in the day went to the weight room and did several sets of various pull-ups & chin-ups, arm curls & shoulder presses with dumbbells, and Plyo push-up varieties with med and stability balls. Thursday was another class called Sports Conditioning. This was a circuit. We warmed up with jump rope, then the circuit included push-ups on an inverted Bosu ball, one legged squats with your back pressing a stability ball against the wall, bridge crunches with your feet on a stability balls, ski squats on a Bosu ball doing full motion arm swings while holding a resistance band attached to the wall, med ball crunches, elevated step-forward lunges, chest presses on a stability ball, Plyo platform jump-ups, bicep curls on a balance board on one foot, alternating one leg jump squats on a platform (with optional med ball) all of the preceding for 60 seconds each, plus 2 minutes on a rower. Then 5 minutes of intervals alternating between jump rope and aerobics moves. Then repeat the circuit. I was wiped out but it was awesome.

Today there's a class called Core Interval Blast but I am waiting to hear about a family activity we want to do so I might not get to it.

It's a good thing the fitness center is so great -- the food in Stowe is amazing :)

For those of you that have done P90X2, how did you know what size/weight medicine balls to use? They are pretty expensive so I don't want to get something too light.

For those of you that have done P90X2, how did you know what size/weight medicine balls to use? They are pretty expensive so I don't want to get something too light.

You don't really use them too much for lifting but more for balance exercises like pushups on med balls. You've been at the program for a bit so I think you'd be safe with 8lb balls.

You don't really use them too much for lifting but more for balance exercises like pushups on med balls. You've been at the program for a bit so I think you'd be safe with 8lb balls.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try X2 at the start of next year. I finish up a round of P90X next week then I'm back home in Texas for two weeks. I'm just trying to get everything lined up for that.

IrishNinja

gearing up to finally get into this next week or so - i got through insanity so hopefully this isn't so bad, 6 days a week for 3 months is crazy though.

how's the fit test, it a video or what?

gearing up to finally get into this next week or so - i got through insanity so hopefully this isn't so bad, 6 days a week for 3 months is crazy though.

If you got through Insanity you'll get through P90x. It's been so long I don't remember a P90x fit test haha. Good luck.

FOOTE

Agreed. 8 pounds is what I used for all of the med ball moves. I'm getting a 12 for my next round though. It's beneficial to have at least one 12, I think.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try X2 at the start of next year. I finish up a round of P90X next week then I'm back home in Texas for two weeks. I'm just trying to get everything lined up for that.
X2 is my favourite program Beachbody has put out by a long shot. Good luck with your goals, I know you're going to have a lot of fun achieving them!

Great! The fit test is in the book, not on a DVD. Have a stop watch ready. For some reason I don't remember the X2 fit test at all. I don't think Body Beast even has one.

Bollocks

I know it's not P90X but I started Insanity again this week, after I finished it in spring this year for the first time(lost 20 pounds).
Even though first week kicked my butt again it was nowhere near as bad as in March when I started it for the first time. 20 pounds less really do make a difference.
Feels good to be working out again :)

Ixian

If you got through Insanity you'll get through P90x. It's been so long I don't remember a P90x fit test haha. Good luck.
Though, be prepared for the soreness that will accompany your first strength training workout!

After having some back issues, I took a two week break from working out. Getting back to the grind today and looking forward to it; I feel like I'm in good enough shape to handle it but I guess we'll find out for sure the first time I do a squat, haha. :b

what's the longest you guys have ever taken a break from your program? It's finals week and it looks like I am pretty much going to a total of 2 weeks off. Wow feels really weird and kind of gets me worried. But...school first :(

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
what's the longest you guys have ever taken a break from your program? It's finals week and it looks like I am pretty much going to a total of 2 weeks off. Wow feels really weird and kind of gets me worried. But...school first :(

I was off maybe 3 weeks. Set me back a week in strength I think. Base and back put me into a trance just like old times. Typically after the first surfer spin I'll breath feverishly go sit down somewhere, and then 2-3 minutes later be day dreaming half conscious, not clearly remembering the last 3 minutes.

This program really increases your metabolism. I'll inhale good food and 2 hours later be hungry again.

FOOTE

2 weeks will be ok since you're in this for the long haul. I've taken 2 weeks before. Yeah I lost some gains and they weren't easy to get back, but I did eventually get them back. I would suggest that if you have any free time to workout a little, you should try to do something. A few sets of push-ups, pull-ups or some other callisthenics. Try your best to get something in to help maintain some strength.

Oh, keep eating good.

I know it's not P90X but I started Insanity again this week, after I finished it in spring this year for the first time(lost 20 pounds).
Even though first week kicked my butt again it was nowhere near as bad as in March when I started it for the first time. 20 pounds less really do make a difference.
Feels good to be working out again :)

I know that feeling. At my heaviest (fattest) I was 210 lbs. Now I'm about 145 or so. When I do squats/lunges with 30 pound weights (for a total of 60 pounds, which would be around what I used to weigh) it's really an amazing feeling How did I just carry around all that extra weight?

Question for you guys...

I've a week left in Insanity and want to do a round of p90x+ when I'm finished, however I want to replace some of the cardio in p90x and hybrid in Insanity workouts. What I'm asking you guys is for recommendations as to which workouts to use and replace.

I see there's a Kenpo Cardio Plus workout, and I'll try it once just to see, but I honestly doubt it'll be as good as what Insanity throws out there, so that's up for replacement.

I remember liking X Plyo better than Insanity's plyo, but I'm flexible on that as well.

So...yeah.....any suggestions on Hybrids? Thanks :)

Question for you guys...

I've a week left in Insanity and want to do a round of p90x+ when I'm finished, however I want to replace some of the cardio in p90x and hybrid in Insanity workouts. What I'm asking you guys is for recommendations as to which workouts to use and replace.

I see there's a Kenpo Cardio Plus workout, and I'll try it once just to see, but I honestly doubt it'll be as good as what Insanity throws out there, so that's up for replacement.

I remember liking X Plyo better than Insanity's plyo, but I'm flexible on that as well.

So...yeah.....any suggestions on Hybrids? Thanks :)

If this is your first time doing P90X+, you might try doing the intervals and kenpo routines that come with it first. It isn't as demanding as any of the second half of Insanity, but its still a bit harder than the original P90X plyo

nickcv

aaaand we are done!
sunday was my last day of P90X

unfortunately i didn't have time to take the new pictures nor the new measurements, gonna do that on the w/e.

i'll keep you guys updated!

Jzero

Do you guys think that "fat" people see faster results than skinny people who want to bulk? I feel like i'm going to need to do a couple rounds of P90X before i see the results that i want.

nickcv

Do you guys think that "fat" people see faster results than skinny people who want to bulk? I feel like i'm going to need to do a couple rounds of P90X before i see the results that i want.

kinda... if you are really overweight you are going to lose weight faster, if you are somewhere in between you'll see results slower.

clothes right now fit me much better, i even lost a couple of sizes, but i don't see too much difference looking in the mirror.

FOOTE

This sums up what I believe for the most part.

In the end everyone is different. How you eat, desire and motivation and how hard you work every workout are all factors which determine how your results turn out.

One piece of advise. Do your research on macros, and what you need to consume daily. If you eat what your body requires, work hard(it's going to be VERY hard work) and maybe most importantly STICK WITH IT. Not very many things worth achieving are easy, and this isn't. Do not give up though, you will get there.

mehdi_san

A good diet is really essential to get good results. Tony says it all the time. And I'm finally starting to understand it, I think.
I also saw this great quote from Dwayne The Rock Johnson's twitter yesterday, I thought I'd share with you all:
The most important part of my training is diet. Regardless of the heavy steel we push or cardio we do.. diet is KEY.
The best approach is to keep the diet basic, focused & disciplined. No fad dieting - those results are fleeting.
Even a guy as big and as ripped as him still says that nutrition matters the most.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Aight, boys and girls. I've never posted in here before, but it's time to really start cracking down.

Started in August, went through 2/3rds of the program, dropped from 210 to 185 (after being around 240 the year before . . so weird to think about), but then roughly dropped off at the end of October as work started up. I've been doing it here and there, hard for a week, missing a week, 4 days for two weeks, missing two weeks, and it's time to really get back on the train.

Worked out last week a bit, but I'm starting it all over as of now. Went hard yesterday and even woke up at 7am to make sure I got in plyo in the morning. Probably the greatest worst idea ever since I'm sitting at my desk and absolutely wired. It's weird how much more energy I have when I'm really regular.

This is a post to make sure I bring it. I want my six pack and sex lines.

Never really took the before and afters. Maybe I should? Here are just some going over weight loss...

Then . .

Now . .
Complete with neogaf crossover!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's been a busy month. I have been trying to keep pace with my X/X2 hybrid while having holidays and various trips come up. Needless to say my eating had some issues over the past weeks. I'm on week 9 of the hybrid this week. Not any weight loss, but I think I've put on some muscle.

Looking now to see what I should do next. I need something to kick start my weight loss again.

KingGondo

Banned
It's been a busy month. I have been trying to keep pace with my X/X2 hybrid while having holidays and various trips come up. Needless to say my eating had some issues over the past weeks. I'm on week 9 of the hybrid this week. Not any weight loss, but I think I've put on some muscle.

Looking now to see what I should do next. I need something to kick start my weight loss again.
Do you like to cook? How adventurous are you with new types of food?

A good way to get on track diet-wise is to plan healthy meals for the week ahead of time, and to make 2-3 of those meals something you haven't tried before. If you plan ahead, you're much less likely to cheat in my experience.

If you do that and stick with your hybrid program, I bet you'll see results quickly.

FOOTE

All kidding aside. This program does seem to work like it says it should. My back and shoulders are definitely looking bigger already. Don't like the instructor(don't even know what his name is), but I really like the workouts.

nickcv

My shirt is feeling tighter!

Excuse me for the body beast....ism hahahaha.

it's really amusing how the same thing for one person is a failure while for someone else is a victory =P

All kidding aside. This program does seem to work like it says it should. My back and shoulders are definitely looking bigger already. Don't like the instructor(don't even know what his name is), but I really like the workouts.

the program works wonderfully. my bf arms got really huge! And tony is actually a nice guy, he grew on me

nickcv

Oh, I'm talking about Body Beast. Tony Horton is great.

out of curiosity i watched the video teaser of body beast... and the dude got on my nerves in less then 2 minutes <.<

edit: did any of you guys tried out the "Les Mills Combat"?
how is it?
how hard is it?

Norua

Banned
Between the round of P90X I just completed and the next, I'm trying a hybrid of One-on-one and P90X+.

Yesterday was Plyo Legs. Like the name suggests it's like doing Plyo and the Legs part of Legs & Back on the same day. When the video starts, Tony says his warm-up is already done and the work out is 1h.

It killed my legs. Reminds me of the first time I did Plyometrics. Feels good.

Anyone else doing One-on-one?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
out of curiosity i watched the video teaser of body beast... and the dude got on my nerves in less then 2 minutes <.<

edit: did any of you guys tried out the "Les Mills Combat"?
how is it?
how hard is it?

Les Mills Combat itself just came out within the past few days. I plan to do it after I finish P90X2 some time in late January.

I am going to do Body Beast. I have a weight bench on my Christmas list. If I get it for Christmas, I might do Body Beast first and LMC afterwards, otherwise I'll do Body Beast after LMC.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Do you like to cook? How adventurous are you with new types of food?

A good way to get on track diet-wise is to plan healthy meals for the week ahead of time, and to make 2-3 of those meals something you haven't tried before. If you plan ahead, you're much less likely to cheat in my experience.

If you do that and stick with your hybrid program, I bet you'll see results quickly.

I do, and I tend to try a new recipe on the weekends. Sunday night is usually my cooking night. My main issue with food is on the weekends I want something different than the chicken, etc. that I've been eating all week, and I'm usually out of the house.

I'm trying to find stuff that I can buy and whip up quick to eat that doesn't take long for weekend lunches and stuff.

I think the diet on weekends is the last thing holding me back, it's just so hard to change because I'm such a person of habit. I get groceries every Thursday and buy a Sunday night meal, and then buy some item that I can eat for 3 meals on the weekend. Usually it's turkey dogs or something. I then end up eating that meal once, and eating out 3 times due to friends. :p

I'm getting there, but the holidays kill me too.

Man, you guys were right about getting an overall efficient workout in, but the calorie counting is serious business.

I didn't realize I'd been eating a 500 calorie surplus for a while and wondering why I wasn't making any progress.

I cut down to 1700 calories (cardio days or yoga days are a bit lower), but the protein, veggies, and water really help. I am unable to even look at sweets the same anymore, and have been following something closer to the Paleo principles.

Good luck to everyone starting P90X/2, Insanity, Body Beast, etc. I'm restarting P90X classic after being out of it for a while, and will hopefully be more cut this coming summer.

Top Bottom