• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Right okay, so...

Looks like I'll be starting out tomorrow.

Is there some kind of... honor code or system of making up for...

So I had a very unexpectedly good day. I'm sure you know the kind of day I mean. I literally did not have a free hour until right now (2:00AM), and I'm supposed to be at work in 6 hours :p

I got plenty of cardiovascular exercise...

I know that a huge, maybe the most important part of this is commitment, and making sure you get your workout in no matter what during the day and putting the other things you want to do on hold, and I'm willing to make it a priority, for sure.

But is there some sort of method or system to follow when you run into a day where you just can't get it in? So tonight it's delaying the start of my 90 days until tomorrow. But if it happens in the middle of a phase... well, there's no level of commitment that would make me willing to trade in a day like today.

Nibel

EuroGAF: Guys, I want to start with P90 - but I don't know where I can buy it. I'm from Germany and it seems like P90 and P90X are completely unknown here.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

EuroGAF: Guys, I want to start with P90 - but I don't know where I can buy it. I'm from Germany and it seems like P90 and P90X are completely unknown here.

Any help would be appreciated. :)

I got it from Amazon. Seems like its still available. Also check eBay.

Right okay, so...

Looks like I'll be starting out tomorrow.

Is there some kind of... honor code or system of making up for...

So I had a very unexpectedly good day. I'm sure you know the kind of day I mean. I literally did not have a free hour until right now (2:00AM), and I'm supposed to be at work in 6 hours :p

I got plenty of cardiovascular exercise...

I know that a huge, maybe the most important part of this is commitment, and making sure you get your workout in no matter what during the day and putting the other things you want to do on hold, and I'm willing to make it a priority, for sure.

But is there some sort of method or system to follow when you run into a day where you just can't get it in? So tonight it's delaying the start of my 90 days until tomorrow. But if it happens in the middle of a phase... well, there's no level of commitment that would make me willing to trade in a day like today.

I missed Yoga every now and then through boredom. Never missed another exercise. It came first over everything.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I imagine that feel, bro

Well hey, maybe completing your P90X course will change things in that arena!

Anyone do these exercises at the gym besides me? After shoulders and arms for P90X, I add in a few barbell bench presses and a tiny bit of squats. I think I'll do legs at home to save myself the embarassment of looking like an idiot jumping all over the place.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
I ripped the DVDs so I could play them on my iPhone/iPad on the go...but this was before the iPad app came out. If for whatever reason I needed to do P90X on the go, I'd just use that.

Haven't ever HAD to do P90X on the go, mind you. I ripped them so I could play the videos through my AppleTV for quick and easy access.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I do have them ripped, but I hadn't considered just listening to them on my phone to be able to do it at the gym. Maybe I will sometimes to get some variety.

On first inspection I really like the quality of the BMG pull-up bar and resistance band set I got. I also really like the way the bands feel. I didn't know if they were for me but I think I'll enjoy training with them. It came with an offer for a free heaviest-weight (like 40-45lb) band as well. I imagine I'd have to pay shipping or some such, but still a cool touch.

I have the videos on my iPod and I remember how the exercises go. I don't like bands much, but I do know they give pretty good resistance. I just like the feel of a free weight and looking at my own form in the mirror at the gym.

I remember doing chest and back one time bringing my own push-up bars and people were staring while I was cranking those push-ups out. It's such a weird feeling that people who look like they wrestle bears cannot do many push-ups...

I read that as "and looking at myself in the mirror at the gym" initially.

I thought "he's one of those types". :D

/kisses guns

Haha, nah. I don't care how much I lift, all I care about is correct form and upping the weights little by little. I often hang out at the dumbbell rack but will occasionally spot another. I still have major problems doing one-arm push-ups...whoo boy!

Guevara

Well I picked up P90X. Did my first videos last night. Seems legit although I don't have my pull-up bar yet and I'm going with the resistance bands for now. Do most people work out before or after work? I was planning on doing this from 6:30-7:30PM most days.

The hardest thing will be adjusting the way I eat.

Well I picked up P90X. Did my first videos last night. Seems legit although I don't have my pull-up bar yet and I'm going with the resistance bands for now. Do most people work out before or after work? I was planning on doing this from 6:30-7:30PM most days.

Personally I do it in the evenings because it's easier for me to control what I eat that way. I find if I work out early in the day I get fairly hungry later in the evening, whereas I won't eat too much before my workout if I'm gonna do it in the evenings, and I don't eat too much afterwards (just recovery).

So YMMV, but I found it easiest to get into a routine with evenings.

GCNemesis

Personally I do it in the evenings because it's easier for me to control what I eat that way. I find if I work out early in the day I get fairly hungry later in the evening, whereas I won't eat too much before my workout if I'm gonna do it in the evenings, and I don't eat too much afterwards (just recovery).

So YMMV, but I found it easiest to get into a routine with evenings.

Yep, I do the same, usually get the workout in between 630 and 730PM.

Phase 2 of X2 starts tonight. Skimmed through the videos, looks a lot more like P90X. Gotta love just all push-ups and pull-ups. :D

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yep, I do the same, usually get the workout in between 630 and 730PM.

Phase 2 of X2 starts tonight. Skimmed through the videos, looks a lot more like P90X. Gotta love just all push-ups and pull-ups. :D

Get ready to not feel your arms. :p

I'm on day 4 (rest yesterday) of phase 2, so we'll see how tonight's new workout is. Hopefully not too long being ab ripper is now 3 days a week.

mm04

I've done both and decided that mornings work better for me. My energy level is consistent in the mornings. I work out before breakfast and I'm still more energetic than evenings. I find that I'm weaker in the evenings as it seems dependant on when/what I did for lunch and what other activities I may have done during the day.

GCNemesis

Get ready to not feel your arms. :p

I'm on day 4 (rest yesterday) of phase 2, so we'll see how tonight's new workout is. Hopefully not too long being ab ripper is now 3 days a week.

Heh yeah, I'm mentally preparing myself. I'm most excited about doing the ab ripper 3x a week. Thought the once a week in Phase 1 was a bit weak.

How are you using your rest days? Are you doing the Recovery & Mobility vid or just resting?

I take one day completely off. The other rest day I do some HIIT. I'm by no means exhausted from ab ripper it's just on those three days, at the end of the first workout, I start to dread the next 15 minutes of abs.

Took the plunge and ordered P90x off Amazon.

So pumped. Any advice gaf? I plan on starting a week from today.

1. Commit your schedule to the workout, try not to miss a day

2. Diet. Follow the diet guide as much as you can.

3. You will need equipments listed in the OP. Get as much as you can.

4. Be patient. Be patient because it takes time and effort for change. Be patient because it takes time to figure out how to push yourself. And once you learn how to...

5. Push yourself and learn when to let go. In other words, do your best and forget the rest

---

I just finished Triceps and Shoulder for day 1 of phase 2. If this is an indication of body confusion, then holy shit. Despite this being the 2nd month, I felt little strength going into this workout. Whereas just two weeks before I was pumping 15 to 20 pounds, today I am happy for the most part to use 5 and 12 pounds. Granted, the exercises are different, but man it does feel like a restart

That being said, Ab Ripper is more enjoyable now. I feel more the core/abs being worked.

And I tried my best with the slow/slide/side/plyo pushups! Had to do most of them on my knees, but fuck yeah!

I'd strongly advise the sleep thing. I generally only get about four hours a night and I'm getting fucked up by the exercise. I never seem to be able to recover.

Well I'm off to a bachelor party for the next 2 days my P90X friends. Swithced my schedule around so I didn't have to worry about the workouts this weekend. Did Yoga in the morning for the first time today. I am not a morning person! I'm going to try hard to keep my diet in check!

hxa155

P90X+IF+Green Tea=Epic Calorie Burn

750 in Plyometrics and 700 in Yoga, I know that my heart rate monitor's prolly not accurate when calculating non-cardio workouts like yoga, but I used to get 450cals without the green tea, so there's a huge difference here

1. Commit your schedule to the workout, try not to miss a day

2. Diet. Follow the diet guide as much as you can.

3. You will need equipments listed in the OP. Get as much as you can.

4. Be patient. Be patient because it takes time and effort for change. Be patient because it takes time to figure out how to push yourself. And once you learn how to...

5. Push yourself and learn when to let go. In other words, do your best and forget the rest

---

Thanks!

As far as scheduling goes, I'm just going to cut out an hour of internet, or games each day. I may end up having to do some workouts at night after work or school, but it shouldn't be a problem. I have a pullup bar and a set of 20LB dumbbells so I should be pretty well set as far as equipment goes. I thought about purchasing a yoga mat, but I think I'll just use a towel for now.

I'm looking forward to getting started on the program. I've always been super lean, but never really had a lot of muscle or definition.

hxa155

Thanks!

As far as scheduling goes, I'm just going to cut out an hour of internet, or games each day. I may end up having to do some workouts at night after work or school, but it shouldn't be a problem. I have a pullup bar and a set of 20LB dumbbells so I should be pretty well set as far as equipment goes. I thought about purchasing a yoga mat, but I think I'll just use a towel for now.

I'm looking forward to getting started on the program. I've always been super lean, but never really had a lot of muscle or definition.

Tony Horton: "You shouldn't be doing Yoga without a mat." :p

EDIT: good luck btw :)

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Currently on my recovery week of the first month. I'm not a fan of Kenpo X and like to substitute it with Pure Cardio from Insanity. So is that a good idea or bad idea on recovery week?
I don't want to do Yoga tonight. I hate it. :(
Easily my favorite, just stick with it. Same with X-Stretch.

Thanks!

Yea excited for you! Echoing Hxa Highly recommend a mat because it makes yoga + plyo more comfortable. It feels nice with Ab Ripper too but you don't need it.

And the schedule thing will take time. I'm not in as good a shape as others so I take more short breaks and I take more time to learn the forms

FYI I ended up buying different sets of weights because different moves offer different resistance. You can always use bands too

Tell us your first day when you are done!

PS you need a recovery drink

Currently on my recovery week of the first month. I'm not a fan of Kenpo X and like to substitute it with Pure Cardio from Insanity. So is that a good idea or bad idea on recovery week?

I think some have done it in this thread. I don't see why not

Garryk

Kenpo is my least favorite. Doing it on carpet generates a lot of friction.

lljride

Finally someone else that loves Yoga X.

No problem substituting Kenpo X for Pure Cardio (or another cardio routine). I used Cardio X from P90X only because I don't have Insanity, but it worked well.

It's so boring, and so, so long. I just... sorry... but relax my mind and soul? No, I'm busy ffs.

It's not that. Working out and exercise is as much about mental aspects as it is physical. Yoga has continued to train me to stay in the present, breathe in order to push myself, improving balancing and strength. It's as much about inner peace as about being able to work through discomfort

Calmness in the storm - that applies to every single workout, especially Ab ripper x

You can probably gather from my post... I don't do relaxed. :)

Never have, never will. Works fairly well for me as it goes, but of course everyone is different.

Nice! My favorite two moments from P90X:

"Take in the fact you just did that." AWESOME.

And then that rush of calm when that music kicks in at the end.

:(

Lmao usually it's that one last exercise right before he says that it's my legs falling apart.

But indeed. And I love how flexible I get. Then I see Shawna. Sigh

P90x Grad here. I completed the first cycle, and was fairly happy with my results, but that last month was killer. Boredom set it like whoa... I've been pondering another go, and have even attempted another round, but always tucker out about half-way.

This IF stuff has me very interested in another round though, and I'm actually pretty pumped for another go just to see what it's all about. I'm currently on a slow-carb diet, and while effective, I'd love to hear about some real world results from this IF stuff.

So basically, stop eating before bed time, skip breakfast, fast, and have something like before your first workout of the day? Then eat two healthy meals before quitting time again?

Top Bottom