• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

sp3ctr3

Could someone explain carbs to me? I simply dont get it and googling didnt do much for me.

I see that most, if not all, of my carb intake comes from milk, wholegrain bread, fruit and that protein bar.

I can cut 50g carbs just by not eating the fruits and taking away the wholegrain dark bread at lunch.

WTF, how do you people eat/drink that much (fluids like SteveMeister). I am eating a little bit more than half of that and get about 140g proteins. I am not able to eat more (172cm 68kg right now) and I am doing P90X and my muscles grow like crazy and my belly gets more flat everyday.

I don't understand. :| Well and I eat about 30-50 carbs every day (exception Saturday, refuel day for me)

It isnt too hard. With intermittent fasting I eat a lot:

Meal 1:
Chicken fillet w/ 2 jacket potatoes or sweet potato and cous cous or pasta and cheese

Meal 2:
Steak with veg... lots of veg (brocolli, corn, peppers, mushrooms)

Meal 3:
3 egg omelette w/ cheese and a protein shake

Various snacks over the day like fruit or peanut butter sandwich. Gets me around 1800 calories

fuenf

Anyone else suffering from Yoga-Fatigue? I'm now in my recovery week after phase 2 and the thought of doing Yoga twice mentally pains me.. I don't have a particular problem with the routine (except its length), but I can't stand Tony during Yoga anymore. He's talking WAY too much and his 'counts'/timing is seriously messed up on this one, it's starting to feel like torture when you have to hold the right side posture for seemingly forever because he keeps talking about how Adam is a muscular but flexible guy.

As of late I'm usually just doing the warm up part up to chair pose and then skip ahead to the balance postures / streches etc. (last 45minutes).

KingGondo

Banned
Anyone else suffering from Yoga-Fatigue? I'm now in my recovery week after phase 2 and the thought of doing Yoga twice mentally pains me.. I don't have a particular problem with the routine (except its length), but I can't stand Tony during Yoga anymore. He's talking WAY too much and his 'counts'/timing is seriously messed up on this one, it's starting to feel like torture when you have to hold the right side posture for seemingly forever because he keeps talking about how Adam is a muscular but flexible guy.

As of late I'm usually just doing the warm up part up to chair pose and then skip ahead to the balance postures / streches etc. (last 45minutes).
If you're gonna skip anything, skip the balance poses. The initial part is hard (and you're right that Tony can be annoying), but you're missing out on the most beneficial part of the entire workout.

You might want to try X2 Yoga instead. It's much shorter overall.

rkn

Gonna take the probably un popular opinion here and just say if you don't like it, don't do it. I did yoga on my very first run through P90X, and same as you, grew tired of the messed up timings and seemingly random longer holds, etc. The pace just didn't work for me. And yeah it's a beast of a workout, and I wanted to do it at least until I was able to do it fully without breaks (and did).

I know what you are going to say, you need yoga, Tony said so in that video. If he could do one workout for the rest of his life, it would be yoga. Thankfully that isn't the case and you can do any of the other workouts.

Hell I hate cardio, jogging at the track, anything involving running, and at this point, I've just cut it out of my routines. I'd rather do some sort of interval based cardio like some quick stair climbs, or burpees, or something similar. So if looking forward to Yoga day has you bummed, just do something else instead, better to keep you motivated then dreading working out.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
If you're gonna skip anything, skip the balance poses. The initial part is hard (and you're right that Tony can be annoying), but you're missing out on the most beneficial part of the entire workout.

Or Tony Horton One-On-One -- Fountain of Youth yoga. You can buy it standalone, it's short, and it's the basis for X2 Yoga.

KingGondo

Banned
It's not really P90X if you half-ass it or skip the parts you don't like.

IMO, the only valid reasons to not try a move or workout are 1) injury or 2) you find the workout to be too easy (which is what happened with me and Kenpo after the first month).

Work on your weaknesses.

Pagusas

Elden Member
anyone have advice for the Yoga section? I litterally can not do the moves while trying to watch the screen. I try, but I do not understand what he's saying as he's speaking in yoga jargon, so I have to look up every time to see what hes doing, which then results in me not doing the move or having to quickly refind my balance to get back into possition. After a few times of that I just get so frustraited I give up and do a cardio disk instead. But I know thats not helpful or right, so I want to fix this problem. How does someone who has NO yoga experience what so ever break through that learning curve.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
On your rest day, watch the yoga dvd and just try to practice the moves, pausing if necessary until you get the correct form. Learn the name of the moves and the order of the sequence.

After a couple workouts you'll get down the sequence and will be able to do it just by hearing Tony say the name of the moves (downward dog, upward dog, warrior 1, etc.)

Pagusas

Elden Member
It's better to work on your weaknesses than running away from them

The problem with that is working out is very much about mind set and positive attitude, if i get highly frustrated doing something it can knock me out of that mindset and make the workout go from something I'm pumped for, to something thats annoying/bothering me. Thats not a good combination when your getting back into it as it can make it harder to keep consistent. Thats why I'm asking here, to find advice as I'm sure some people have had similar issues.

fuenf

Well balance postures are my favorite and I think they have a great influence on your everyday life.

Gonna take the probably un popular opinion here and just say if you don't like it, don't do it. I did yoga on my very first run through P90X, and same as you, grew tired of the messed up timings and seemingly random longer holds, etc. The pace just didn't work for me. And yeah it's a beast of a workout, and I wanted to do it at least until I was able to do it fully without breaks (and did).

I know what you are going to say, you need yoga, Tony said so in that video. If he could do one workout for the rest of his life, it would be yoga. Thankfully that isn't the case and you can do any of the other workouts.

Hell I hate cardio, jogging at the track, anything involving running, and at this point, I've just cut it out of my routines. I'd rather do some sort of interval based cardio like some quick stair climbs, or burpees, or something similar. So if looking forward to Yoga day has you bummed, just do something else instead, better to keep you motivated then dreading working out.

Yeah that's exactly how I feel, I'm not gonna lie I never really liked Yoga but making it through the routine was at least some kind of motivation. After completing it twice during my last recovery phase, my motivation crashed down to nil and I just can't put up with the inconsistencies of the routine anymore.

@theREST:
Don't worry I'll still do some kind of Yoga, but I won't like it and if necessary will skip certain parts. But you shouldn't forget that the one of the goals of Yoga is, like Tony would say, to reach calmness of mind. For me Yoga therefore isnt comparable to other workouts, and the calmness of mind part is where P90X Yoga completely falls flat.

The problem with that is working out is very much about mind set and positive attitude, if i get highly frustrated doing something it can knock me out of that mindset and make the workout go from something I'm pumped for, to something thats annoying/bothering me. Thats not a good combination when your getting back into it as it can make it harder to keep consistent. Thats why I'm asking here, to find advice as I'm sure some people have had similar issues.

Absolutely. Truth be told, a lot of us hated yoga when we started. Yoga is also one of the things that always gets pointed out when people sort of complain about p90x - Its too long, it's boring, doesn't really work, etc.

As with obstacles in p90x, I see them as walls to climb over. so in your case, you might have to be patient and just stay with it despite your frustration. Like Steelo said you can practice on your off day, and also I think it'd be helpful if you engage the part of yourself that's reluctant with yoga. Everything points to deeper motivation on why you keep coming back and exercise. You just gotta give yourself room and time to handle the learning curve. This very wall is an indication of where your next phase of growth will be

There's something Tony says in P90X2. If it was easy, it wouldn't work.

gQThG.jpg

Btw my post wasn't directed towards you, it was meant to be general. Yoga is always the one that a lot of people starting ask "can I not do that?"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
The main thing that keeps me coming back to Yoga is not wanting to be the guy who constantly complains about and skips Yoga. I figure, like many workouts, if it wasn't a little uncomfortable, it wouldn't be working.

desu

Did shoulders and arms today. Have to say I think I dislike using resistance tubes and will probably get dumbbells soon.

This is more of a technical question about the way the body burns calories, but I'm slightly curious about the answer. It's not a big deal, but again, curiosity.

So I'm doing P90X2 Phase 2 and I just finished up my fourth week of Base & Back. I noticed my reps from week 1 are slightly higher in week 4. Not too much though. A couple of extra jumps here, an extra pull up there, etc. I also noticed my calories burned have dropped a bit though. FOr example, the first week I burned about 460 calories according to my HRM and this week I burned about 430 even though this last time around I did more reps.

Is that because I'm slightly fitter compared to when I first started Phase 2? I still feel like I'm pushing myself really hard (as evidenced by the extra reps). I have dropped 2-3 pounds if that makes a difference.

Again, I'm not really sweating the difference of 30 calories for one work out. I'm just curious about the science of it all.

sp3ctr3

Could someone explain carbs to me? I simply dont get it and googling didnt do much for me.

I see that most, if not all, of my carb intake comes from milk, wholegrain bread, fruit and that protein bar.

I can cut 50g carbs just by not eating the fruits and taking away the wholegrain dark bread at lunch.

To answer my own question I used a couple of hours googling carbs. Took me to a lot of bodybuilding sites and right off the bat, I can't see anything negative about high amount of carbs?

carbs release gluckose and insulin that helps with restitution. Carbs are also the energy for muscles. Carbs also 'take the load' off of protein, so that more protein can be used to rebuild.

The only reason to lower the carbs is to lose weight faster. But the negative to that is that you have less energy, and the muscles might not be strong enough to finish a workout. This is taking it to the extremes and I haven't tried it on my own body, so I don't know how many carbs I need as a minimum.

Also, I'm not using powder yet, and most of my protein comes from drinking skimmed milk, but that also holds a lot of carbs. When I get to use powder I can skip the milk and get carbs down to 20-30g a day. Right now I've cut into my diet and cut a little back on the milk and my daily carb intake is about 110, but so is my protein intake.

I finished week 1. Feels good. I did X Stretch yesterday and my body loves me for it. It was kinda boring and I wanted to stop midway through, but I'm glad I finished it. Already feeling a lot limber than a week ago. Can almost get the heels to the floor on downward dog and thats a lot better than day 1.

Got on the scale last night after stretching and I have lost 2kg. My starting weight was done in the morning, so it might be off a little? I always heard that youre supposed to weigh yourself in the morning but I forgot today.

I've given my thoughts on each workout in phase1 and in order of difficulty this is where I put each workout:
1. Yoga X
2. Chest & Back
3. Plyometrics
4. Legs & Back
5. Shoulder & Arms
6. Kenpo X
7. X Stretch

2 more weeks of this and then the restitution week or whatever it's called and that will be Phase 1 completed. I will post new pictures once Phase 1 is in the bag.

To answer my own question I used a couple of hours googling carbs. Took me to a lot of bodybuilding sites and right off the bat, I can't see anything negative about high amount of carbs?

carbs release gluckose and insulin that helps with restitution. Carbs are also the energy for muscles. Carbs also 'take the load' off of protein, so that more protein can be used to rebuild.

The only reason to lower the carbs is to lose weight faster. But the negative to that is that you have less energy, and the muscles might not be strong enough to finish a workout. This is taking it to the extremes and I haven't tried it on my own body, so I don't know how many carbs I need as a minimum.

Also, I'm not using powder yet, and most of my protein comes from drinking skimmed milk, but that also holds a lot of carbs. When I get to use powder I can skip the milk and get carbs down to 20-30g a day. Right now I've cut into my diet and cut a little back on the milk and my daily carb intake is about 110, but so is my protein intake.

I finished week 1. Feels good. I did X Stretch yesterday and my body loves me for it. It was kinda boring and I wanted to stop midway through, but I'm glad I finished it. Already feeling a lot limber than a week ago. Can almost get the heels to the floor on downward dog and thats a lot better than day 1.

Got on the scale last night after stretching and I have lost 2kg. My starting weight was done in the morning, so it might be off a little? I always heard that youre supposed to weigh yourself in the morning but I forgot today.

I've given my thoughts on each workout in phase1 and in order of difficulty this is where I put each workout:
1. Yoga X
2. Chest & Back
3. Plyometrics
4. Legs & Back
5. Shoulder & Arms
6. Kenpo X
7. X Stretch

2 more weeks of this and then the restitution week or whatever it's called and that will be Phase 1 completed. I will post new pictures once Phase 1 is in the bag.

I don't have anything scientific to offer you, so just take what I say with a grain of salt. There isn't anything purely negative about high carbs per se - except that in our daily lives a lot of our carbs intake are from unhealthy stuff that does little to refuel our bodies, and that a lot of simply don't work out enough or consistently to burn it off or process it in our bodies.

You are right that carbs are a source of energy and that low carb is meant to help with the weight loss. My take on the fat shredder diet is that 1) you hit it on the nail as to why they don't recommend to be on it for more than a month; 2) there might an exact number per se on how much carbs we should take it, but I think the general idea is moderation and especially to rethink how we take in carbs and energy: do we really need that much carbs? can we get something similar with other food, such as beans, nuts, or lentils? I still eat carbs everyday, but it's now mostly quinoa and brown rice, and they are relatively little in comparison my daily intake of protein, vegetables, and legumes. So I think part of the equation is to less the carbs intake and to start looking at other food as resources. Another great one is sweet potatos

sp3ctr3

Ok, that makes sense and puts me on ease. I get 95% of my carbs from milk, wholegrain and fruit and I see those 3 groups as healthy full carbs. It's redicilous how many carbs are in wholegrain.

So a low carb diet, <50g, is only to be done for about 1 month. Sounds perfect for my Phase 2 plan then :) I cut my snakcks in between meals as I'm not really hungry when I ate that banana anyway. And 2 bananas was 30g carbs. Cut the wholegrain dark bread with my eggs in the morning and replaced it with 2 pieces of turkeybacon. That was about 25g carbs and protein went up by 4g. So that was a fast 55g cut just in the morning and snack.

I love how I discover all this information about my body. Stuff you don't think about.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
sp3ctr3, you might enjoy reading a couple books by Gary Taubes, " Good Calories, Bad Calories" and "Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It". These books go into detail about how our bodies process macronutrients (carbohydrates, fats and protein) and how where a calorie comes from dictates how the body processes it. And then how that processing can lead to issues with excess. They also talk about how the conventional thinking that led to the USDA food pyramid in US dietary recommendations was formed and how bias, flawed studies, lobbies and bad science led to them. Sounds like the first book in particular might be right up your alley.

Another great book is Mark Sisson's "The Primal Blueprint", and the companion blog at marksdailyapple.com. The book is brief and entertaining and has some good advice in it, and the blog is a treasure trove of nutritional info. Whether you end up choosing to follow a Primal or Paleo lifestyle is up to you.

For me, I try to keep my carb intake around 150g per day on average. I tend to start building fat again if I sustain amounts above that for too long. That basically means no soda, no fruit juice, no sweetened drinks, very limited amounts of bread, no chips or crackers of any kind, and extremely limited dessert foods (as in rarely eaten and small portions). I eat lots of meat, lots of vegetables, a small amount of fruit (tending more towards berries, which have more nutrients and less sugar per serving than fruits like apples, oranges and bananas), minimal starchy vegetables (potatoes).

desu

1. Yoga X
2. Chest & Back
3. Plyometrics
4. Legs & Back
5. Shoulder & Arms
6. Kenpo X
7. X Stretch

This morning when I was reading that I thought Yoga X just can't be that hard ... well after doing it the first time today, I now understand :D.

Ixian

If you're going to cut carbs in month two, don't be surprised/impressed if your weight drops rapidly at first; lower carbs means no water retention so it'll get flushed out of your body and you'll see an immediate sharp drop in weight a week or so in. Similarly, when you reintroduce more carbs into your diet, you will see an increase in weight due to water retention.

Also, for what it's worth I eat ~30g carbs a day and haven't really had any energy issues. YMMV of course!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
anyone have advice for the Yoga section? I litterally can not do the moves while trying to watch the screen. I try, but I do not understand what he's saying as he's speaking in yoga jargon, so I have to look up every time to see what hes doing, which then results in me not doing the move or having to quickly refind my balance to get back into possition. After a few times of that I just get so frustraited I give up and do a cardio disk instead. But I know thats not helpful or right, so I want to fix this problem. How does someone who has NO yoga experience what so ever break through that learning curve.

Yeah, Yoga is a bit harder that way, because of all the weird positions you're in.
I'd go along with SteeloDMZs suggestions, take some time and watch the DVD without actually doing the moves. Observe, try to memorize it the best you can. Perhaps you could also change your position before starting your Yoga session to get a better view of the tv screen, maybe add a mirror or something?
And well, just keep doing the best you can. You'll gradually learn. I mean shit, there's stuff in Yoga X I didn't realize I was doing wrong until 1-2 months in. Or as Tony says in X2 Yoga, it's not about being perfect.
Myself, I went from being bored by Yoga to loving it. I've even adjusted my workout schedule to always have my X2 Yoga sessions specifically on Fridays, kind of like a reward at the end of the week (but then, X2 Yoga is also more fun and efficient than Yoga X). :D

sp3ctr3

just had to chime in. Chest & Back yesterday was a lot better than day 1. I felt a huge improvement, and was able to get the motions right and really get into it.

I got on the scale this morning and I've lost 3kg ~ 6,6lbs in the first week. I imagine that's all the bad stuff that has been flushed from my system.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I tried going low carb a couple times but I've decided that that's impossible for me. I'm starving the whole day and I just end up eating whatever.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I tried going low carb a couple times but I've decided that that's impossible for me. I'm starving the whole day and I just end up eating whatever.

You're not really hungry. You're just not eating foods that satisfy you. Satiety is key. Some foods will help with this -- eggs, fish, and nuts for example. You can (and should!) eat mounds of vegetables but feel hungry again sooner than you'd think. But eat a couple eggs with those veggies and you will feel "full" longer. And make sure you drink a lot of water.

One question though, what did you consider low carb? Under 50g/ day or so will put you into ketosis, which is your body to start converting stored body fat at a higher rate, particularly if you are on a caloric deficit. 50-100g per day is reasonable for fat burning if you're exercising a lot and eating at your calorie budget. I aim for ~100-150g per day for maintenance. Most Americans eat closer to 300g carbs per day.

sp3ctr3

How big a calorie deficit is recommended? I seem to remember reading somewhere that you should aim for about 1800 calories a day with P90X? Right now I'm clock a little less than 1800 and never really feel hungry, but my carb intake is a bit high I guess? Yesterday was 158g and wholegrain bread and milk is the big contributer here. But I need the milk for protein. When I go protein powder I can quit the milk and get down to 50g easily.

Will also cut back on the proteinbars when I go powder. Save some bars for when I get the candy craving. They're damn expensive too. 1 bar a day costs the same as 6kg ~13,3lbs protein powder.

Mendrox

You're not really hungry. You're just not eating foods that satisfy you. Satiety is key. Some foods will help with this -- eggs, fish, and nuts for example. You can (and should!) eat mounds of vegetables but feel hungry again sooner than you'd think. But eat a couple eggs with those veggies and you will feel "full" longer. And make sure you drink a lot of water.

One question though, what did you consider low carb? Under 50g/ day or so will put you into ketosis, which is your body to start converting stored body fat at a higher rate, particularly if you are on a caloric deficit. 50-100g per day is reasonable for fat burning if you're exercising a lot and eating at your calorie budget. I aim for ~100-150g per day for maintenance. Most Americans eat closer to 300g carbs per day.

That would explain why I don't really lose weight with my low carb (30-50g a day).
Because I eat protein bread (good fats) and walnuts (also good fats) and fish etc., but I don't really lose weight (I get stronger, yes, and I lost some weight, but not that rapidly). Because my body stores the fat that I gain.

The funny thing is that I lose weight when I drink alcohol on friday and eat normal carbs on saturday all day (like pan fish, normal bread, maybe a selfmade burger or fries) and on sunday I suddenly lost 2-3kgs lol

Phase 1 is over this week, after that I will have to up my carb intake a little bit nether the less, so I will see some gain I guess. :)

Ixian

One problem with nuts is that good fats or not, they are very dense, calorie and fat-wise, and maintaining a calorie deficit still matters when eating on a low carb diet. My day-to-day meals look like this:

Lunch:
- 400g 90% ground beef.
- Orange.
- Peppers.

Dinner:
- 300g chicken.
- Peppers.
- Half a bag of salad.
- Two eggs.

Plus some fish oil (which gives me a bit more fat), multivitamins and calcium supplements at the end of the day. My macros for the day are roughly: 165g protein/65g fat/30g carbs.

mehdi_san

If you're gonna mount it on a wall (and not over a door), it looks like you wouldn't be able to use the lateral bars (they would be stuck to wall, with no space to put your hands).

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Madridy, the second one looks like it is meant to be mounted to a ceiling joist, while the first will be wall mounted.

Unless you have an open ceiling where you'll be working out, the ceiling mount will be a more involved install. However, if you plan to eventually do P90X2 I'd prefer it. With the wall-mounted bar you won't have room for some of the pull-up variations like Levers and Crunchy Levers as the wall will get in the way, unless you mount it above a door or other opening. You can install the ceiling mount one as far from a wall as you need to.

I will be combining P90x with Rushfit.

I'll be doing p90x's mass building schedule but I'll be dropping in Rushfit's abdominal core strength and conditioning workout every time the schedule calls for "cardio" and "abripper x".

Madridy

If you're gonna mount it on a wall (and not over a door), it looks like you wouldn't be able to use the lateral bars (they would be stuck to wall, with no space to put your hands).

Madridy, the second one looks like it is meant to be mounted to a ceiling joist, while the first will be wall mounted.

Unless you have an open ceiling where you'll be working out, the ceiling mount will be a more involved install. However, if you plan to eventually do P90X2 I'd prefer it. With the wall-mounted bar you won't have room for some of the pull-up variations like Levers and Crunchy Levers as the wall will get in the way, unless you mount it above a door or other opening. You can install the ceiling mount one as far from a wall as you need to.

Yeah I'm going to use it on a low hanging wall made out of concret with a height of 2 meters.

Thanks guys

sp3ctr3

Tell me how bad Cola Zero is before I go buy some... It says 1calorie, 0 sugar, 0 fat and 0 carbs? Is this some kind of miracle drink that doesn't do anything bad? There has got to be a catch.

Let me know.

Ixian

Tell me how bad Cola Zero is before I go buy some... It says 1calorie, 0 sugar, 0 fat and 0 carbs? Is this some kind of miracle drink that doesn't do anything bad? There has got to be a catch.

Let me know.
It makes some people hungry/crave sweets.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Let me know.

Chemicals. Artificial sweeteners. Why bother? Try to wean yourself away from wanting sweetened drinks. If it has unpronounceable ingredients, avoid! :)

FOOTE

Chemicals. Artificial sweeteners. Why bother? Try to wean yourself away from wanting sweetened drinks. If it has unpronounceable ingredients, avoid! :)
Also bloats you up and can have a negative affect on your attitude regarding cheating in other areas of your dietary habits. It doesn't do anything for you that's positive.

sp3ctr3

Thanks, I decided not to buy a Cola Zero.

Yoga X yesterday was a lot easier than week 1. I've become more flexible already and didn't need the block as much, but still needed it for some poses. It was still tough but it seems only the first 30mins area REALLY tough, then its 30mins of balancing, which is frustrating and the 30mins of stretch poses which is really nice.

I was able to do Crane for 4-5 seconds at a time just balancing on one toe in between. Almost fell on my face, but managed to tip back onto my feet somehow.

I can't believe how fast the days are going by? Today is Legs&Back and the easy Kenpo X and X Stretch and that will be week 2.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Sounds good sp3ctr3. I still use the block for half-moon and twisting/reverse half-moon poses. Also here's a great trick for Crane pose -- stand the block on end below where your forehead goes, and strive to keep your forehead slightly above the end of the block. If you tip forward you have the block a half inch away to prevent you from tipping over & smashing your nose :)

sp3ctr3

Yeah, those halfmoon poses are definitely the hardest for me right now. The block at the forehead sounds like a plan, will try that out next week.

In other news, I got laid off today. It sucks but now I don't have to do P90X in the evening no more :D Think I will do it when I get out of bed to get that good start on the day.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just starting Week 10 this morning. I can't believe it's been over two months already. Crazy.

Do any of you guys use creatine and whey powder? I've been using whey for a while post workout and have considered adding creatine or maybe ditching the whey for creatine. Any thoughts?

grumble

Do any of you guys use creatine and whey powder? I've been using whey for a while post workout and have considered adding creatine or maybe ditching the whey for creatine. Any thoughts?

They are different.

Whey: cheap, low calorie, convenient source of protein.
Creatine: increases creatine stores in muscle (used in phosphocreatine pathway for shorter bursts of energy, increases endurance and top-end strength a bit along with a could pounds of water gain in the muscle)

They are distinct. IF you don't need the protein or you can get it from whole foods without damaging your goals, don't bother with the whey. As for creatine, I see no reason not to take it. It has no real sides aside from a little water and it works. Go from 10 to 12 pullups or whatever.

They are different.

Whey: cheap, low calorie, convenient source of protein.
Creatine: increases creatine stores in muscle (used in phosphocreatine pathway for shorter bursts of energy, increases endurance and top-end strength a bit along with a could pounds of water gain in the muscle)

They are distinct. IF you don't need the protein or you can get it from whole foods without damaging your goals, don't bother with the whey. As for creatine, I see no reason not to take it. It has no real sides aside from a little water and it works. Go from 10 to 12 pullups or whatever.

Thanks for the heads up. I am having a little bit of a struggle getting to the protein levels I need to get to without the whey. I'm going to reevaluate my diet pretty soon, but replacing the whey might be tough. I might try adding another egg or a few slices of bacon for breakfast and upping the amount of turkey breast I eat as a snack during the day and see how that suits me.

Ixian

I recommend getting a Costco membership and snagging beef and chicken from there for your protein needs. That's what I've been doing since August with great success.

Top Bottom