• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

sp3ctr3

I was only able to do one or two pull ups :(

Don't let that get you down. I still can't do a single non assisted pullup. Im halfway through week 3. I started back on page 184, and I gave my impression on each day if you want to read a little about what to expect.

Did Yoga X today and it's getting easier. First half of the video is the hardest and I did crane for 3x10seconds this time. Brought a big smile to my face. I had really good balance today and only balanced on one toe when I fell out of it.

Worst move so far is the bicycle kicks of ab ripper x. I HATE THOSE! I hate the pain it gives in the quads. It's unbearable and very uncomfortable.

Anyone have an idea for a nice cold drink? Sometimes when I'm REALLY thirsty it's like water doesn't help. I crave some flavor.

IrishNinja

back in town & in my final few weeks, cant wait to finally be done..it's a great regiment but man it just goes onnnnnn

coming back to chest & back was fantastic, sore for days! im wondering how my results will be though since
a) i had to take like 2 weeks off for travel
b) eating healthier but totally not the diet they recommend (and there's not enough cardio here for me)
c) i only have up to 20 lb weights so im trying for more reps, ive got the bands but havent touched em...maybe i should?

also most pull ups have been done with my feet touching a chair, i know my #'s are way higher than they should be as a result, but the way this wal-mart door pullup thing is its the least awkward angle

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
After a year of BB workouts I got to the point where I could easily do 12-14 wide grip no kip pull-ups with good form. I could barely do one unassisted when I started. It just takes time, consistency and proper use of negatives & assistance devices.

sp3ctr3

Legs&back in the books. I put the chair so far away I could barely reach it with my toes. tightened my core so I was stiff as a board and did all the pullups that way and it worked great. Put a big fat smile on my face as I finally felt the muscles working properly and getting the burn in the right place.

Kenpo X tomorrow and X Stretch after that and I'm done with week 3. Getting paid this thursday so I will order whey protein powder and creatine. Suggestions for flavors? I'm thinking vanilla? I tried chocolate with proteinbars and that tastes awful.

diaspora

6ft tall 140lbs guy about to start body beast. Oh man.

dc1.jpg

Hey, P90X-Gaf. Posted a couple weeks back about giving this a whirl. My package came on Thursday of last week. Decided to start on a Monday to keep things even in my mind.

Definitely did some work with the chest and back disc (with a chair for pull-up support). I was able to make it through the entire thing doing 8-10 reps on most things and 12 on a couple others. The ab ripper business kind of killed me. But overall, feelin' good.
Don't miss ony Plyo, it's the best :D.
Hope I don't die.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence or not, but the one week that I've been on p90 has coincided with my skin breaking out way more than usual. Was this common for when you guys first started?

I've kept my diet mostly the same except I've tried to cut out sweets on the weekdays and been trying to have healthier and smaller calorie lunches at work (salads instead of my usual, pizza, burgers, panda express, etc.)

IrishNinja

Don't miss ony Plyo, it's the best :D.

did this today! sleep deprived & still a bit sick so it was rougher than usual, which turned out good cause i needed that sweat. i swear insanity's plyo felt harder at the time (month 2 was brutal) but it's a good workout, i just have to watch my knee, it gets banged up sometimes...i try to land proper & tend to workout barefoot, i think i'm going too high on the swing kicks or something.

also i dig the break when he goes "jesus...i mean jeepers!"

sp3ctr3

So I'm not sure if this is just a coincidence or not, but the one week that I've been on p90 has coincided with my skin breaking out way more than usual. Was this common for when you guys first started?

I've kept my diet mostly the same except I've tried to cut out sweets on the weekdays and been trying to have healthier and smaller calorie lunches at work (salads instead of my usual, pizza, burgers, panda express, etc.)

Yes, I've noticed that I started to break out like crazy on my back and shoulders. I started to take showers emidiately after working out as I have a feeling that a lot of filth gets stuck in the pores from the sweat. I make sure to scrub my back and shoulders real good and also make sure to drink lots of water.

It's mostly gone now but still have a little. I'm thinking about tanning a little, which usually helps too.

iyox

Decided to jump in as a long time lurker on this thread. Just started P90x classic and almost done with my first week (I have kenpo tonight and stretch-x tomorrow). I am pretty fit and usually run about 3-5 miles 3 times a week, but have stopped while I am doing P90X. I was wondering if anyone has any experience coming from a running program and how P90x affected their running? Kind of worth mentioning, I was surprised by how much the program has kicked my ass even though I considered myself in decent shape. I can usually run about 3 miles in a 22-24 min range, but some of these workouts have just killed me and made me hit the pause button for a 30 second breather.

Also, does anyone have experience with the bands? I have a weight room in my apartment building, but don't want to do P90x down there, so I have been using the bands. I am concerned my results will be impacted by the bands as opposed to using weights. I'd like to stick with the bands for a bit, to see how they work, but some input would appreciated. Anyone ever have some lower back pain with ab ripper x? Sometimes I feel like it's working my lower back more than my abs.

Decided to jump in as a long time lurker on this thread. Just started P90x classic and almost done with my first week (I have kenpo tonight and stretch-x tomorrow). I am pretty fit and usually run about 3-5 miles 3 times a week, but have stopped while I am doing P90X. I was wondering if anyone has any experience coming from a running program and how P90x affected their running? Kind of worth mentioning, I was surprised by how much the program has kicked my ass even though I considered myself in decent shape. I can usually run about 3 miles in a 22-24 min range, but some of these workouts have just killed me and made me hit the pause button for a 30 second breather.

Also, does anyone have experience with the bands? I have a weight room in my apartment building, but don't want to do P90x down there, so I have been using the bands. I am concerned my results will be impacted by the bands as opposed to using weights. I'd like to stick with the bands for a bit, to see how they work, but some input would appreciated. Anyone ever have some lower back pain with ab ripper x? Sometimes I feel like it's working my lower back more than my abs.

Personally weights are much better than bands. That being said, bands are perfectly fine to start with. I get lower back pain as well with Ab ripper.

There's first time for everything...I have accidentally hurt myself on a hike, think its a strain. Going to put lower body workout on hiatus until my body heals. Fascinating...

iyox

Personally weights are much better than bands. That being said, bands are perfectly fine to start with. I get lower back pain as well with Ab ripper.

There's first time for everything...I have accidentally hurt myself on a hike, think its a strain. Going to put lower body workout on hiatus until my body heals. Fascinating...

Good to know I'm not alone with the ab workout. I am hoping it becomes a little easier on my back over the next few weeks. I am not sure what dumbbells to get. I was thinking either the bowflex speed selects or just a pair of cheapo with caps. The speed selects look nice but are kind of pricey.

Good to know I'm not alone with the ab workout. I am hoping it becomes a little easier on my back over the next few weeks. I am not sure what dumbbells to get. I was thinking either the bowflex speed selects or just a pair of cheapo with caps. The speed selects look nice but are kind of pricey.

Oh yea. My experience with Ab ripper is sometimes my back feels better, sometimes it doesn't. It does help to stretch or foam roll my back before I do Ab ripper

I think there are people here who have experience with bowflex. They should be able to give you some suggestions

desu

I think bands are fine for some exercises as well, but I just prefer using weights for some other excercises.

Third week Plyo X, man my absolute favourite part of the week and the whole program. I just love how you're constantly in motion with barely breaks. Almost feels like doing some kind of sport.

KingGondo

Banned
If you're committed to fitness and plan on working out at home quite a bit, I'd just buy the nicest weights you can afford. You'll end up spending quite a bit on a set of weights when you could have bought a nice set of PowerBlocks.

Even if you end up wanting to sell them down the road, you should still get a decent price selling them locally somewhere like Craigslist (as long as you take care of them, of course).

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Back to "normal" today after a week's vacation. I did keep up with my burpees, but only got in one LMC workout otherwise and ate too much. Today is supposed to be a rest day but I'm up & getting ready to do yesterday's workout.

Body Beast awaits. Starting 4/1.

sp3ctr3

X Stretch today and that will be week 3. next week is recovery week and the finish of phase 1. Already? 1/4th way through so far. I will get on the scale tomorrow morning.

Ordered Whey Protein, creatine and some proteinbars. The Plan is to go less than 50g carbs a day for a month. Someone on here wrote that you shouldn't do that low carb intake for more than a month. Can't wait to get started on that.

So far I can definitely feel my stomach has shrunk, but I can't really tell as I have a tendency to stare at myself in the mirror every day. Hope there's a difference when I take Day 30 picures next week.

Kerrinck

Got sick for around 5 days as soon as I started week 8. Since it is a rest week, do I just skip the days and go straight to week 9 or is better to resume where I stopped?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
FYI, Beachbody announced a new Shaun T workout the other day. Focus 25. 25 minutes a day, 6 days/week, no rest. You can sign up for updates here. Comes out this summer.

sp3ctr3

Ok, can someone explain the benefit of a lowcarb diet? I googled around to see what an average male needed in a day and several sites recommended 350-400g a day. But only 10% of that could be industrialized carb like sugar, flour etc.

Right now I hover on about 150g a day, mostly due to milk and wholegrain bread. Thats atleast a 50% decrease compared to normal and in about a week I will get below 50g a day which brings it down to 1/8th or so.

I read that the only thing this does is help you lose weight fast, BUT it is due to you losing water that the glucose cant bind. And this weight will return when you stop the lowcarb diet. Also, the carbs give energy to the muscles during load, so what's the point of a low carb diet? If I was a bodybuilder going to a competition I could see the use as you could shed the last bit of weight quite fast, but to me whats the point when it will all return anyway?

RedAssedApe

Banned
FYI, Beachbody announced a new Shaun T workout the other day. Focus 25. 25 minutes a day, 6 days/week, no rest. You can sign up for updates here. Comes out this summer.

How do they have before and after pictures if this ain't out yet? They just find random people to use as guinea pigs for their new workout systems? :D

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Ok, can someone explain the benefit of a lowcarb diet? I googled around to see what an average male needed in a day and several sites recommended 350-400g a day. But only 10% of that could be industrialized carb like sugar, flour etc.

Right now I hover on about 150g a day, mostly due to milk and wholegrain bread. Thats atleast a 50% decrease compared to normal and in about a week I will get below 50g a day which brings it down to 1/8th or so.

I read that the only thing this does is help you lose weight fast, BUT it is due to you losing water that the glucose cant bind. And this weight will return when you stop the lowcarb diet. Also, the carbs give energy to the muscles during load, so what's the point of a low carb diet? If I was a bodybuilder going to a competition I could see the use as you could shed the last bit of weight quite fast, but to me whats the point when it will all return anyway?

That's a super-high amount of carbs, representing 1400-1600 calories per day all by itself. You're at a good amount for weight maintenance. I wouldn't change it. Instead, focus the rest of your daily calories on high quality protein (4cal/g) and fats (7cal/g).

If you're really interested in the subject, I recommend reading "Good Calories/Bad Calories" or "Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes.

The reason a (very, as in 50-75g per day) low carb diet causes you to burn fat is because your body uses the stored fat to generate glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. It has nothing to do with water weight loss. The principal reason why people get fat is because they eat too many carbs and don't use the energy. 350-400g per day will make most people fat.

In addition, don't think of it as a "diet" that you'll "stop" at some point. Proper nutrition is a lifestyle change. If you have periodic specific goals, such as mass-building or cutting, yeah you can play around with your macronutrient ratios, do the leangains thing, intermittent fasting, etc on a temporary basis, but in general you should never "go back" to your original diet -- that's what got you into the state where you decided to do something about your weight in the first place.

Eat whole foods. Avoid processed foods with chemical-sounding ingredients. Focus on vegetables, greens, high quality meats, healthy fats (you want a low Omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio, which means limiting vegetable oils). Avoid refined carbs (sugar in all its forms, white flour, white rice) in favor of whole grains. Drink lots of water, avoid fruit juice and all sweetened drinks (artificially or naturally!)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How do they have before and after pictures if this ain't out yet? They just find random people to use as guinea pigs for their new workout systems? :D

They have two there, but I've often thought the same thing :)

But these workouts take months & months to create. They plan out the workouts over a long period of time, have test groups, refine it, have more test groups, then finally do the filming. So my guess is the folks they have there were in one of the test groups.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Looks slightly less "jumpy" than Insanity (which is a no-go in my apartment). If that's truly the case I would be interested, but I'll have to wait for impressions.

sp3ctr3

That's a super-high amount of carbs, representing 1400-1600 calories per day all by itself. You're at a good amount for weight maintenance. I wouldn't change it. Instead, focus the rest of your daily calories on high quality protein (4cal/g) and fats (7cal/g).

The sites stated that 50-60% of my intake should be carbs, the good stuff, but if that represents that many calories and I need between 2100-2500 to maintain, maybe a bit more if I continue to excersise after P90X, I should not need 350-400g a day.

They recommended 8g pr. kg. for a person working out everyday. That means I was supposed to eat 624g lol I'm fine around 200g. Not feeling hungry and get all the good carbs.

The reason a (very, as in 50-75g per day) low carb diet causes you to burn fat is because your body uses the stored fat to generate glucose in a process called gluconeogenesis. It has nothing to do with water weight loss. The principal reason why people get fat is because they eat too many carbs and don't use the energy. 350-400g per day will make most people fat.

That makes sense. It usually uses the carbs to produce glucose but with the limited supply it HAS to use the stored fat. Excellent! Man I'm psyched to see my results after phase2.

In addition, don't think of it as a "diet" that you'll "stop" at some point. Proper nutrition is a lifestyle change. If you have periodic specific goals, such as mass-building or cutting, yeah you can play around with your macronutrient ratios, do the leangains thing, intermittent fasting, etc on a temporary basis, but in general you should never "go back" to your original diet -- that's what got you into the state where you decided to do something about your weight in the first place.

Nah, I wont return to my old habits of soda and candy everyday. Maybe once in a while but not everyday. I went cold turkey since I started and proteinbars has hit the spot so far, so I think I can do without the old habits in the future.

Thanks for answering my questions

sp3ctr3

Starting Phase1 Recovery Week today. Got on the scale this morning and have lost another 1kg~2,2lbs. Thats 5kg~11lbs in 3 weeks.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
So I'm nearly done. Very pleased with my results, overall. I'm up to Yoga (week 11).

Just contemplating my next step. I could do P90X again, but I have to admit, I'm very tempted by P90X2, if only because I get some new videos.

I'm significantly fitter than when I started, but, for example, I can only manage a few pull-ups without a chair, I can't make it through Fifer Scissors (I need a five rep break, mostly), etc.

Will P90X2 be too intense, or is it a natural continuing point?

"TONY JUST LET ME CLIMB MY LEG ALREADY UGH"

this made me laugh out loud

Top Bottom