• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Yeah, you should do P90X2 if you are up to the new challenge. The first month of it is completely different to X1, and it will teach you moves and help you get ready for
Phase 2, which can be really challenging, specially if you do the hard version of each move.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the reply. Good to know. I think I'll move right along to it in a week.

I did X2 Yoga today rather than X1 Yoga, and I feel great, but it almost felt like cheating. Haha.

sp3ctr3

Think I screwed up a few parts of my body from X Stretch and Yoga X. I think I overdid my right forearm on a stretch 2 days ago. And yesterday during a simple runners pose my left angle gave way somehow and now I have this buzzing sensationin my foot? Like it's asleep? Been like that for 13 hours now.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Think I screwed up a few parts of my body from X Stretch and Yoga X. I think I overdid my right forearm on a stretch 2 days ago. And yesterday during a simple runners pose my left angle gave way somehow and now I have this buzzing sensationin my foot? Like it's asleep? Been like that for 13 hours now.

Pinched nerve maybe? If it's lasted this long you should probably have a doctor take a look.

KingGondo

Banned
See a doctor. The earlier you get it checked out the less likely it is to be a nagging problem.

Fidelis Hodie

Infidelis Cras
Walked my roommate through yoga x for the first time yesterday. He finally believes me about its intensity. Dropped out around warrior 3 in a pool of sweat and shivering muscles, to which I nodded knowingly.

He's going to destroy me on legs and back today though. Man is a pull up machine.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Walked my roommate through yoga x for the first time yesterday. He finally believes me about its intensity. Dropped out around warrior 3 in a pool of sweat and shivering muscles, to which I nodded knowingly.

He's going to destroy me on legs and back today though. Man is a pull up machine.

It's like Dan from Les Mills Combat says: "This stuff's for real!"

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
whenever I lay down to do certain exercises and streches, say glute stretchs or rollers, I always feel my lower spine poking into the floor a little painfully, and have to readjust so that I'm on my side slightly. It's always been this way for me, and my back doesn't hurt otherwise, but it's always sort of bothered me.

It could just be that my yoga mat is on floor-boards, I guess. Does anyone else have this problem?

sp3ctr3

buzz in my foot is gone, so that's nice. I guess a lot of walking outside today set things right.

Recovery Week.... Core Synergetics. I was not ready for that and it kicked my ass. Tried my best to tighten my core but my arms were weak during those pushups and it pissed me off. I hope my abs are sore tomorrow. Did work up a great sweat though.

iyox

Had to postpone the program for a couple days while my family is in town for the weekend. I will pick back up Monday hoping it doesn't kill my progress.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I think I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and buy a good set of adjustable dumbbells. I did fine on my previous P90X run with just 10 and 20 pound weights, but I think the lack of progression was due to me not pushing myself enough. It's a one-time expense for some equipment that will hopefully last for a long time, so I think it'll be worth it.

I'm planning on starting again on April 15, which is the one-year anniversary of when I started it last year (I'm dorky like that). Two more weeks of doing my P90 + Master Series hybrid to continue to get ready.

mGnesaL.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
He needs to bring back that 'stache.

FOOTE

I think I'm finally gonna bite the bullet and buy a good set of adjustable dumbbells. I did fine on my previous P90X run with just 10 and 20 pound weights, but I think the lack of progression was due to me not pushing myself enough. It's a one-time expense for some equipment that will hopefully last for a long time, so I think it'll be worth it.

I'm planning on starting again on April 15, which is the one-year anniversary of when I started it last year (I'm dorky like that). Two more weeks of doing my P90 + Master Series hybrid to continue to get ready.

Good stuff. It's a worthwhile investment. Mine are still in good shape after 3 years of daily use.

I have been using the Powerblock Sport 5.5s for a couple years and love 'em.

http://www.powerblock.com/prod_homeuse_sport5-5.php

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
This morning was the last workout of Les Mills Combat. I loved this program. Lots of fun, challenging, I learned new skills, and gained strength particularly in my legs, core & shoulders.

Tomorrow morning I'm starting Body Beast. I'm taking all the supplements and following the meal plan. This first round I'm following the Lean schedule. I'll be doing Les Mills Combat workouts on some of the rest days, and throwing in a few Insanity Fast & Furious sessions here & there.

After Body Beast I am thinking of doing Asylum Volume 2, and then another round of Body Beast on the Bulk schedule. That'll carry me to some time in October, maybe a good time for a hybrid P90X2 plus Les Mills Combat or Focus 25.

OchreHand

What do you guys recommend for asymmetrical muscles? I did some measurements and my left arm is smaller than my right.

Should I do extra curls for my left?

daemissary

What do you guys recommend for asymmetrical muscles? I did some measurements and my left arm is smaller than my right.

Should I do extra curls for my left?

No, if you've been doing the same weight and reps and one is smaller than the other you should check your form.

If your form is good, then just continue doing same weight and reps on both sides...your left will catch up eventually.

My right arm used to be way bigger than my left because I went bowling a lot but after about 2 years of consistent lifting, they are about equal now.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
If you're using bands and only one leg to hold it down during curls, it's super easy to accidentally have lop-sided weight.

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
Damn, I didn't know Ab ripper x was supposed to be done that often. I should have read the OP.

Does it really do anything for you if you still have fat around the stomach area? I feel it for sure, but I thought I would have to lose that fat with cardio or something.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Damn, I didn't know Ab ripper x was supposed to be done that often. I should have read the OP.

Does it really do anything for you if you still have fat around the stomach area? I feel it for sure, but I thought I would have to lose that fat with cardio or something.

Ab Ripper strenghtens your core, which in result makes you perform better in most other exercises.
------------

Have you guys checked the new P90X2 infomercial? It's awesome:

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri=/#/watch?v=OsYs_UNhgJI

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
how many medicine balls do you actually need for X2? What weight?

RedAssedApe

Banned
are these programs going to be able to help me with my flexibility? the one thing i've always wanted to do is a cool martial arts kick. lol right now i can't even touch my toes when stretching or get my legs past my waist when doing kicks in sweat 1-2/p90 (2nd week)

Jzero

are these programs going to be able to help me with my flexibility? the one thing i've always wanted to do is a cool martial arts kick. lol right now i can't even touch my toes when stretching or get my legs past my waist when doing kicks in sweat 1-2/p90 (2nd week)
Yes, it's definitely helped me.

They will help with flexibility but for doing "cool kicks" you needs to practice kicks. Les Mills Combat should help for that.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

You can't spot-reduce fat. To get rid of fat you have to burn it, and that means you need to be at a calorie deficit. Going low carb can help.

P90X and P90X2 both include yoga as well as stretches that will help with your flexibility. But as mentioned, if you like martial arts, Les Mills Combat is great. I just finished it yesterday & loved it.

sp3ctr3

I've been browsing beachbody.com for programs with less jumping around. Body Beast seems to be it, but I have a few questions for those of you who've done it.

I plan on getting the base package as I have a healthy amount of creatine and whey powder. But what is Fuel Shot and Super Suma? Caffeine and carbs?

And how long is each video? I would like to not workout for 1½ hours a day. Is Body Beast shorter pr. video than P90X?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Alright, I need suggestions. As it's finally getting warmer I plan to start running again so I need to figure out how to mix some P90X/X2/Insanity/Asylum in with that. I'd like to run 3 days a week, and have workouts to do on the other 2 or 3 days (depending on the week).

I assume I'll want to do workouts from the videos that are not leg focused, as I'll need to rest my legs in between running sessions. What would be the best workouts to do on the other 2-3 days? Should I alternate workouts on alternate weeks? Say do chest & back, Yoga, and Plyo week one then change it week 2?

Thoughts?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I've been browsing beachbody.com for programs with less jumping around. Body Beast seems to be it, but I have a few questions for those of you who've done it.

I plan on getting the base package as I have a healthy amount of creatine and whey powder. But what is Fuel Shot and Super Suma? Caffeine and carbs?

And how long is each video? I would like to not workout for 1½ hours a day. Is Body Beast shorter pr. video than P90X?

Just started Body Beast today, with all the supplements.

Fuel Shot is carbs meant to replenish glycogen after a workout.

Suma contains Ecdysterone from the suma or Brazilian Ginseng root, which some believe acts like natural steroids to help build muscle when you lift weights. Do a google seach for ecdysterone for more info.

What you do is you take one Super Suma capsule twice per day.

Within an hour of your workout, you mix a cup of water with one scoop of the Base Shake with one scoop of Fuel Shot and (in phases 1 and 2) two scoops of Max Creatine. In phase 3 you mix in one scoop of the creatine. That's your post-workout drink.

Outside of that, you eat. The Body Beast nutrition book tells you how to calculate your calorie requirements, and then outlines what proportions of various types of foods you should eat throughout the day, accounting for the recovery drink.

I highly recommend signing up for TeamBeachbody.com if you haven't already. There's a ton of info on the message boards including discussions about nutrition & supplements. You can join here.

The workouts themselves appear to be under an hour each. I took longer this morning because I paused a lot to watch the moves, and I had to pause to change the weights on my adjustable dumbbells during some of the supersets.

Alright, I need suggestions. As it's finally getting warmer I plan to start running again so I need to figure out how to mix some P90X/X2/Insanity/Asylum in with that. I'd like to run 3 days a week, and have workouts to do on the other 2 or 3 days (depending on the week).

I assume I'll want to do workouts from the videos that are not leg focused, as I'll need to rest my legs in between running sessions. What would be the best workouts to do on the other 2-3 days? Should I alternate workouts on alternate weeks? Say do chest & back, Yoga, and Plyo week one then change it week 2?

Thoughts?

I just graduated P90X/Insanity last week after doing them concurrently, and honestly, I feel like doing all those leg exercises made me a lot better at running then if I were to just run. Maybe just do P90X the way it was intended. Plyo X and Legs and Back will be nothing but good for you if running is your goal, then find time to run in between. If I were to work running into P90X, I'd probably run after Yoga X, X Stretch, and Kenpo X on their particular days (or just forgo Kenpo in favor of a run, it's a mostly inconsequential workout imo).

Side note: Don't skip the X Stretch, even if the program lists it as optional, you'll always be glad you did it, feelsgoodman.jpg.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Body Beast workouts are definitely much shorter. They are usually 40-45 minutes.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I just graduated P90X/Insanity last week after doing them concurrently, and honestly, I feel like doing all those leg exercises made me a lot better at running then if I were to just run. Maybe just do P90X the way it was intended. Plyo X and Legs and Back will be nothing but good for you if running is your goal, then find time to run in between. If I were to work running into P90X, I'd probably run after Yoga X, X Stretch, and Kenpo X on their particular days (or just forgo Kenpo in favor of a run, it's a mostly inconsequential workout imo).

Side note: Don't skip the X Stretch, even if the program lists it as optional, you'll always be glad you did it, feelsgoodman.jpg.

I've done P90X, X2, Insanity, and Asylum already. :p

I want to add running because I like being outdoors, so it's more of a "me" thing than wanting the best overall leg workout!

With that being said which 2/3 workouts from any of those programs should I do on a weekly basis to get the most without killing my legs? Chest & back? I feel like Chest & back is the main one I need, but am not sure what else to add. Maybe the Asylum strength workout too? Hmm.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I also want to add running to my routine. In a month I think I'll be doing another round of P90X in order to prepare for bootcamp, and start running during the Yoga X and Rest days.

XenoRaven

Week 3 gone. "Recovery" week is here. I put that in quotes because it doesn't seem like it will be any easier than any other week.

I was a bit discouraged at first because I wasn't seeing much weight loss. I tried to shake it off because I knew I was building muscle at the same time. Weight is starting to come off slowly though. At the same time, my body looks noticeably better, my clothes fit better, and I'm more flexible. Between the workouts and having to make my own food all the time, it's hard to find time to do things I enjoy. I miss pizza. But all-in-all I know it's temporary, and the progress I've made so far is enough encouragement to keep at it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Eat pizza still. Just only splurge once or twice a week. :)

Still looking for running + workout tips! Come on P90X Gaf, don't let me down here...

XenoRaven

Eat pizza still. Just only splurge once or twice a week. :)

Still looking for running + workout tips! Come on P90X Gaf, don't let me down here...
I'm a stubborn bastard. I committed to the program. I want to see it through at least once without cheating. After the first time through I'll allow myself some cheat days.

XenoRaven

Hey, I'm not asking for running tips, just what workouts to do in between running sessions. :p

Basically, what are the best arm/chest/back, etc. exercises in P90X/2/Insanity/Asylum?
Well I've only done Phase I of P90X but I can tell you that Shoulders & Arms feels absolutely awesome and Legs & Back works you pretty damn hard and also feels great.

Top Bottom