• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well I've only done Phase I of P90X but I can tell you that Shoulders & Arms feels absolutely awesome and Legs & Back works you pretty damn hard and also feels great.

Yeah, I'm thinking of shoulders and arms for sure. I figure I could do Plyo on Saturdays since I'll have a day of rest. Thursdays I could do Yoga, or the Asylum strength workout with the dumbbells maybe.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah, I'm thinking of shoulders and arms for sure. I figure I could do Plyo on Saturdays since I'll have a day of rest. Thursdays I could do Yoga, or the Asylum strength workout with the dumbbells maybe.

What about the PAP workouts? I've thought of throwing those in during a more cardio-oriented routine like LMC (though I didn't end up doing it).

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What about the PAP workouts? I've thought of throwing those in during a more cardio-oriented routine like LMC (though I didn't end up doing it).

Yeah, thought about those too. I could do lower on Saturdays. I want to make sure my legs have a day of recovery time after a run day, so I figured I'd do arms/back/chest (or something like yoga) on the "in between runs" days.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a stubborn bastard. I committed to the program. I want to see it through at least once without cheating. After the first time through I'll allow myself some cheat days.

I'm on week twelve now. I've had a cheat day or two (particularly now, over Easter) and frankly, with the amount of calories I burn doing this thing, I find I have to cheat pretty hard to actually see lasting negative side-effects.

I'm not saying splurge all the time, but don't make having a slice of pizza with your friends every now and then "a thing".

XenoRaven

I'm on week twelve now. I've had a cheat day or two (particularly now, over Easter) and frankly, with the amount of calories I burn doing this thing, I find I have to cheat pretty hard to actually see lasting negative side-effects.

I'm not saying splurge all the time, but don't make having a slice of pizza with your friends every now and then "a thing".
Part of it is the challenge for me. Plus that slice of greasy, heart-attack inducing, pepperoni pizza will be so much more delicious knowing I was able to go three months without caving.

Also, whoever in this thread recommended Quest Bars...you are a monster. I'm lucky I didn't chip a tooth.

Steelo, did you recommend Pure Protein protein bars earlier this thread? If you did, just want you to know that I just bought it for the first time to try it out...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I finally made it through Fifer Scissors today. On week twelve/day one, no less.

I can finally keep up with the entire Ab Ripper X workout, which is kind of mind-blowing given how awful my core strength was almost three months ago. More than anything else, I've had ridiculous core strength improvements as time has gone on.

Less than a week to go before I finish my first run-through. Unbelievable.

It's the little things, too. I went for a jog for the first time in a while yesterday, and it was so much easier than it used to be. I'm probably just stating the obvious, but, yeah, I'm happy.

I finally made it through Fifer Scissors today. On week twelve/day one, no less.

I can finally keep up with the entire Ab Ripper X workout, which is kind of mind-blowing given how awful my core strength was almost three months ago. More than anything else, I've had ridiculous core strength improvements as time has gone on.

Less than a week to go before I finish my first run-through. Unbelievable.

It's the little things, too. I went for a jog for the first time in a while yesterday, and it was so much easier than it used to be. I'm probably just stating the obvious, but, yeah, I'm happy.

photos! photos!

congrats on your progress! Ab ripper x is no joke...

awesome! I can see some definition in your arms, shoulder and your upper core already. More importantly, you look fit and healthy. Thanks for the picture man

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Steelo, did you recommend Pure Protein protein bars earlier this thread? If you did, just want you to know that I just bought it for the first time to try it out...

Yep. The blueberry ones are excellent. The other flavors are hit and miss though.

If you can, try to get the Supreme Protein Caramel Nut Chocolate. Best bars, bar none.

antti-la

After completing first round of P90X around Christmas, I have not stopped working out, but I haven't been focusing all my energy to it.

I've been doing some P90X workouts, some Insanity workouts and even tried some BodyBeast (not my thing). Not every day, but maybe ~3 to 4 workouts a week on average.

Have also not been super strict with my diet anymore especially during weekends, but once you learn to eat in a way P90X diet guide teaches you, there's no going back to all those old bad habits.

Currently I'm very happy where half year of workouts in home conditions have brought me, have lost a bunch of very stubborn fat and improved my performance in all areas of fitness. It's amazing really. Finally after years of struggling with weight and appearance issues, I'm pretty much satisfied with myself .

I want to keep working out with a routine, but not looking for a "total body transformation in a short period of time" kind of thing anymore. I just want to maintain what I've achieved and keep myself healthy. And not feeling bad for days about eating occasional piece of cake, or taking a beer.

One thing I currently want from my workouts are to keep them as short as possible, but still get the "runners high" after finishing. So doing P90X is kind of too much for me currently, whereas 10min with Tony doesn't seem to cut it.

That's where GSP Rushfit has come in, it's tough whole body conditioning with MMA training flavor and only about 45 minutes per workout. Nice way to start a day before heading to work. Very good workouts, but man is it awfully dry and boring after Shaun and Tony.

Shaun-T focus 25 sounds like a perfect thing for me right now. I want it. Cant believe I'm actually waiting impatiently for a beachbody fitness-program to come out, oh how times have changed.

Dead Man

Hey all (Hi Rez). Just getting interested in this, the links in the OP for the basic P90 are broken, is it still available or is P90X the best place to start?

After completing first round of P90X around Christmas, I have not stopped working out, but I haven't been focusing all my energy to it.

I've been doing some P90X workouts, some Insanity workouts and even tried some BodyBeast (not my thing). Not every day, but maybe ~3 to 4 workouts a week on average.

Have also not been super strict with my diet anymore especially during weekends, but once you learn to eat in a way P90X diet guide teaches you, there's no going back to all those old bad habits.

Currently I'm very happy where half year of workouts in home conditions have brought me, have lost a bunch of very stubborn fat and improved my performance in all areas of fitness. It's amazing really. Finally after years of struggling with weight and appearance issues, I'm pretty much satisfied with myself .

I want to keep working out with a routine, but not looking for a "total body transformation in a short period of time" kind of thing anymore. I just want to maintain what I've achieved and keep myself healthy. And not feeling bad for days about eating occasional piece of cake, or taking a beer.

One thing I currently want from my workouts are to keep them as short as possible, but still get the "runners high" after finishing. So doing P90X is kind of too much for me currently, whereas 10min with Tony doesn't seem to cut it.

That's where GSP Rushfit has come in, it's tough whole body conditioning with MMA training flavor and only about 45 minutes per workout. Nice way to start a day before heading to work. Very good workouts, but man is it awfully dry and boring after Shaun and Tony.

Shaun-T focus 25 sounds like a perfect thing for me right now. I want it. Cant believe I'm actually waiting impatiently for a beachbody fitness-program to come out, oh how times have changed.

What about Insanity: Fast & Furious? I was just thinking about buying that for some quick workouts in the busy summer.

Dead Man

What's your fitness level?

Pretty poor. Core strength is weak as shit, posture is buggered. Cardio is bad but slowly getting better from bike riding. When I used to work out years ago I gained strength pretty easily, but my flexibility has always been unnaturally woeful.

I'm quite willing to work, I just don't want to jump into something that puts me off right away since I've been away from exercise for so long - 15 years or so.

BMI is 31ish, but even when I was fit it was 25ish. At the moment 5'10 and 110kgs.

My knees are a bit wonky from being the army, but they seem to be getting better with the bike riding.

Ugh. So depressing.

Anyway, that's a pretty brutal self assessment without being to pessimistic I think.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Hmmmm. I'd probably go P90X. It will feel impossible at first, but just do what you can and stick to it. If your diet is on point and you push yourself in each workout, you'll see great results.

sp3ctr3

X Stretch today and that wraps up Phase 1! Finally done with recovery week and those goddamn static poses that strain the muscles so they cramp up and your whole body spasses out in pain. God I hate that kind of pain. I can handle a pump and short pain better that this static bullshit.

Yoga X was pretty awesome yesterday. Did all the poses except the half moon twist. My front leg was burning so bad I had to get out of the pose. Did the crane for the entire duration going in and out with only 1 toe. Felt pretty bad ass but my right wrist and pinky hurts like hell today. Any advice? Might do it again with my fingers outward if that's possible?

This saturday is the 30 day mark, so I will take new pictures and post my new measurements. Got Whey and creatine ready for tomorrow when I start Phase 2 and the low carb diet. I can't wait to finally lift some weights again.

desu

Am I the only one not liking Kenpo X, dunno feels kind of useless to me. Sure I get to sweat but it just no fun at all to me, worst part of the whole program. I think I will skip/substitue Kenpo X sessions from now. Couldn't get myself to even finish Kenpo today in the recovery week.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Am I the only one not liking Kenpo X, dunno feels kind of useless to me. Sure I get to sweat but it just no fun at all to me, worst part of the whole program. I think I will skip/substitue Kenpo X sessions from now. Couldn't get myself to even finish Kenpo today in the recovery week.

Kenpo is the ultimate "you get out what you put in" routine, for me. The first couple of weeks I found it kind of boring and uncomfortable. Once I really started to apply myself re: form it got a lot better. I sweated way more, everything went by quicker and it felt more natural. It's a nice way of working on the point coordination meets pushing yourself to work harder. Put your body into it, keep your eyes on the target, etc.

But you might be doing all that and still find it boring, so your mileage may vary. I've come to really enjoy it.

fuenf

Kenpo gets crazy if you add weights to the equation. I've used 1kg weights for the punch moves and it's much more fun(&demanding), the little resistance even helps not over-extending your joints.

desu

Kenpo gets crazy if you add weights to the equation. I've used 1kg weights for the punch moves and it's much more fun(&demanding), the little resistance even helps not over-extending your joints.

This is actually something that crossed my mind today as well, using weights to make it a little more fun/demanding. Might try that sooner or later.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Started messing around with some foam rolling stuff in my post-workout stretching (P90X Back + Biceps).

My calves... oh my god. There were, well, a lot of soar spots there.

I'm almost a little bit sad to be temporarily saying goodbye to some of these workouts. :p

Looking forward to starting X2 next week, though.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION

Yeah, that was initially my big problem with Kenpo: it was way too easy. So I added 1 kg weights to my legs and did as many reps as I could for every punch move, made it more intense for sure. Now that I think about it, would be awesome to add 1 kg to my arms as well, maybe I should try that later on!

Start Phase 3 of P90X2 tomorrow. I'm pretty excited to try the PAP workouts. THe individual moves don't look too taxing, but the nonstop jump from move to move looks like it will be.

sp3ctr3

day1 of the low carb diet and I hate it already. It's my first time tasting whey protein, mixed with water for less carbs, and while drinking it, it tastes horrible. But the after taste is ok.

this is my intake today:
breakfeast:
250ml skimmed milk
64g tomato
55g cucumber
2 eggs
62g turkey bacon
breakfeast total: 353kcal , 34g protein , 17g carbs

Lunch:
15g shredded carrots
100g lean steak strips
5g raisins
15g salmon
Lunch total: 171kcal , 25g protein , 5g carbs

Whey protein shake with water
35g chocolate flavor + 3g creatine
Shake total: 134kcal , 28g protein , 2 carbs

Dinner:
100g boiled Broccoli
160g boiled carrots
170g lean beef
Dinner total: 379kcal , 38g protein , 13g carbs

After workout Shake:
35g chocolate flavor

Total for the day: 1172kcal , 154g protein , 39g carbs

Does any of that look abnormal to you guys? I think protein is about 20-25g too little and calories are very low. About half of what I need to maintain.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
day1 of the low carb diet and I hate it already. It's my first time tasting whey protein, mixed with water for less carbs, and while drinking it, it tastes horrible. But the after taste is ok.

this is my intake today:
breakfeast:
250ml skimmed milk
64g tomato
55g cucumber
2 eggs
62g turkey bacon
breakfeast total: 353kcal , 34g protein , 17g carbs

Lunch:
15g shredded carrots
100g lean steak strips
5g raisins
15g salmon
Lunch total: 171kcal , 25g protein , 5g carbs

Whey protein shake with water
35g chocolate flavor + 3g creatine

Dinner:
100g boiled Broccoli
160g boiled carrots
170g lean beef
Dinner total: 379kcal , 38g protein , 13g carbs

After workout Shake:
35g chocolate flavor

Total for the day: 1172kcal , 154g protein , 39g carbs

Does any of that look abnormal to you guys? I think protein is about 20-25g too little and calories are very low. About half of what I need to maintain.

39g carbs is super-low. Are you aiming for a lot of fat loss in a short period of time? I think you could average 50-75g & be fine, unless you're super-obese and want quick fat loss.

sp3ctr3

My diet for phase1 has been between 1400 and 1800 calories and I've been stuffed and satisfied, but carb would be between 150-250g.

I'm not obese but I do think my fat percentage is too high, 26% when I started. Don't know what it is currently but I will measure that again this saturday when I reach day 30.

I will try my after workout shake tonight with skimmed milk instead of water, that should bump calories up to 1324, protein to 168g and carb to 58g.

I will see if I can suck it up and do this for 4 weeks or atleast more than 1 week. If I'm hungry all the time, won't my body go into survival mode and think that I'm starving, and not burn fat?

mehdi_san

No, there's apparently no serious scientific research that would show that your body goes into "starvation mode" that fast. Actually, research on fasting show the complete opposite. As long as we're talking short fasting (from 10h to maybe 24h, like in intermittent fasting or in the eat stop eat diet), results show that fasting can actually help burn fat faster. Don't eat and you will lose fat, doesn't it sound so obvious?
There's a lot of good articles and books online about fasting, if you're interested I can link to a few. I personaly have been experimenting with something close to the "warrior diet" (I fast for 20h, eat for 4h, repeat) for 4 weeks now, and I've been totally satisfied with it. I can control my calories more easily now that I don't try to eat 6 meals a day. I'm not sleepy at work anymore after lunch. I feel better working out on a empty stomach. And it's just so liberating to not have to think about what to eat, when to eat, etc all day like I used to do before. It's a bit early to talk about results but my weight has been going down and my numbers up, so I have a good feeling about this.

Menaged

I know it's the p90 thread, but can anyone shed some light on Insanity?
There's not too much info on the website and I'm drawn to it because I don't need to buy any equipment for it.

Stuff like nutrition (I want to know roughly what I need to change before I commit) and if it's even possible for someone who's not in great shape. My weight is fine, but I havn't exercised in years...

KingGondo

Banned
I know it's the p90 thread, but can anyone shed some light on Insanity?
There's not too much info on the website and I'm drawn to it because I don't need to buy any equipment for it.

Stuff like nutrition (I want to know roughly what I need to change before I commit) and if it's even possible for someone who's not in great shape. My weight is fine, but I havn't exercised in years...
First of all, this is basically a Beachbody thread, so ask away. Lots of people here have done Insanity and talk about it here.

And while I can't answer your question with experience, my impression is that Insanity is more focused on cardio and high-intensity interval training, while P90X is focused on overall strength and muscle-building.

I'd also like to reassure you--all you *really* need to do P90X are bands, a yoga mat, and athletic clothes/shoes. Even the pull-up/push-up bar is optional, but recommended.

Feel free to ask any questions you might have. It would be helpful to know more about what your fitness goals are.

Menaged

Well, I think I'll be happy with any results, so my goal is quite vague... I know that p90x will give me more muscles (which I'd like), but from what I understand, to a certain and lesser extent - Insanity will help me do that as well by losing fat.
Again, I'm not overweight, but I do have some fat I'd like to lose.
Also, I plan on doing it with a friend (havn't told him yet, LOL) and while hard as fuck from what I read in the past hour here on gaf, Insanity might be better for him since he needs some cardio workout.

As for nutrition, I'd like to think that other then the occasional sin, I eat quite well. Not amazing, but not shit. Usually a sandwich with cheese for breakfast (and egg on weekend), launch might be another sandwich, and dinner is some meat with either rice, pasta or potatos.
Maybe I eat too much bread, since somedays I eat around 6 slices. It's just the easiest thing to get while I'm at the university...

Thanks for the help :)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
On the subject of fasting: I watched a great show on PBS last night called "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" and learned quite a bit.

Some of the themes touched upon:

- People who eat less in general (whether they fast or not) age much more slowly; during the Great Depression, average life expectancy went up, like, six years or something ridiculous.
- Calorie restriction lowers levels of IGF-1, which is a hormone directly related to the aging process (more IGF-1 = bad). Apparently, the more protein in your diet, the more IGF-1 you will produce. :(
- In addition to intermittent fasting, other routines that I had not heard of before include alternate day fasting (one 600 calorie meal on day 1, eat "whatever you want" on day 2, repeat) and the 5/2 method (eat normally for five days, and followed by two consecutive days with one 600 calorie meal each day). The host also did a 3.5 day fast, which would ideally be done monthly.

At the very least, it's intriguing, but I'm sure there's plenty of info out there that could just as easily suggest that all of it is dangerous and nonsense and whatever. You can watch the whole thing here: http://video.pbs.org/video/2363162206

mehdi_san

On the subject of fasting: I watched a great show on PBS last night called "Eat, Fast and Live Longer" and learned quite a bit.

Some of the themes touched upon:

- People who eat less in general (whether they fast or not) age much more slowly; during the Great Depression, average life expectancy went up, like, six years or something ridiculous.
- Calorie restriction lowers levels of IGF-1, which is a hormone directly related to the aging process (more IGF-1 = bad). Apparently, the more protein in your diet, the more IGF-1 you will produce. :(
- In addition to intermittent fasting, other routines that I had not heard of before include alternate day fasting (one 600 calorie meal on day 1, eat "whatever you want" on day 2, repeat) and the 5/2 method (eat normally for five days, and followed by two consecutive days with one 600 calorie meal each day). The host also did a 3.5 day fast, which would ideally be done monthly.

At the very least, it's intriguing, but I'm sure there's plenty of info out there that could just as easily suggest that all of it is dangerous and nonsense and whatever. You can watch the whole thing here: http://video.pbs.org/video/2363162206
Thanks for the link, I will try to watch this over the weekend. Like I said to a friend the other day, I found it fascinating that Buddist monks, Muslims, and other religious people have been praising the benefits of fasting for so long, and that now even body-builders are also starting to do the same.

RedAssedApe

Banned
A lot of guys in here sound like they know their fitness stuff so I'll ask in here:

I'm in relatively decent shape. Can run around a tennis court for hours without the legs getting tired and can run a few miles without stopping. Not obese or overweight, average build and weight for my weight I think (5'6, 140lbs)? Never really had any lower extremity injuries or the such that I'm aware of. But make me walk up a few flights of stairs and my legs start to feel extremely heavy and tired FAST. And I'm talking like walking pace, its not like I'm running up and down stadium steps or anything.

Is there something wrong with me? lol

sp3ctr3

Day 30 already. I didn't think it was untill tomorrow...

The numbers are in:
weight:
day01: 82kg
day30: 78kg

fat%:
day01: 26%
day30: 22%

comparison shots: (day1 is left - day30 is right)
sideshotcomp.jpg

frontcomp.jpg

backcomp.jpg

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nice! I myself am enjoying the slimming down in the gut. Your face looks thinner too? :D

Possibly dumb question, how are you measuring your body fat?

Well, I think I'll be happy with any results, so my goal is quite vague... I know that p90x will give me more muscles (which I'd like), but from what I understand, to a certain and lesser extent - Insanity will help me do that as well by losing fat.
Again, I'm not overweight, but I do have some fat I'd like to lose.
Also, I plan on doing it with a friend (havn't told him yet, LOL) and while hard as fuck from what I read in the past hour here on gaf, Insanity might be better for him since he needs some cardio workout.

As for nutrition, I'd like to think that other then the occasional sin, I eat quite well. Not amazing, but not shit. Usually a sandwich with cheese for breakfast (and egg on weekend), launch might be another sandwich, and dinner is some meat with either rice, pasta or potatos.
Maybe I eat too much bread, since somedays I eat around 6 slices. It's just the easiest thing to get while I'm at the university...

It doesn't really matter diet plan you follow during Insanity because with the cardio you'll be working off a ton of calories 6 days a week. Just be prepared not to see the results immediately. I'll killed it during the first months and also lost two pounds. However, my metabolism seemed to kick into gear during the recovery week and I lost 2 or 3 lbs/week for the last 4 weeks.

KingGondo

Banned

Sounds like your diet is exceptionally carb-heavy, which was my problem too.

I'd try to add up the average grams of carbs you consume in a day, and try to cut it down to under 75 grams/day. When I did this and added more cardio I really started to see weight-loss results.

Let us know if you'd like some suggestions on diet.

iyox

I finally bit the bullet and bought the SelectTechs dumbbells. They are pretty nice and definitely fit well with the pace of the strength workouts. Highly recommended if you are limited on space, and the price doesn't bother you.

I also had a pretty weird week with family coming for the holiday so I paused the program over the weekend and started back up on Tuesday. The one oddity of the process was that the rest from the holiday allowed me to start completing ab ripper x. I guess the continuous grind of the exercises wasn't allowing the muscles adequate rest time, because I banged out the whole thing without ever hitting those moments of pure exhaustion. Looking forward to continuing on and hoping that I am continually able to fully complete the ab workout.

Menaged

Sounds like your diet is exceptionally carb-heavy, which was my problem too.

I'd try to add up the average grams of carbs you consume in a day, and try to cut it down to under 75 grams/day. When I did this and added more cardio I really started to see weight-loss results.

Let us know if you'd like some suggestions on diet.

I'd be happy to, since I'm clueless about the subject. 75 grams a day means nothing to me :\
I can guess that one of my problems might be launch - it's not really a meal in many days, and like I said - when it is it's usually 2 slices of bread with sausage and hummus.

Top Bottom