• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Had to make yesterday my rest day and miss Yoga, can't wait for tonight's workout. I'm pumped for some reason, maybe because it's snowing outside (woot).

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
I did the yoga... I hope you're all very happy. :(

lol
oTDu9.gif

hxa155

I'm almost done with my last P90X week before the recovery week. What do you guys think of extending Phase 3 two more weeks? Will I risk overtraining?

edit:

So basically, stop eating before bed time, skip breakfast, fast, and have something like before your first workout of the day? Then eat two healthy meals before quitting time again?

yea exactly. that's what I've been doing. I fast from midnight to 4pm, eat eat 20-25% of my calories in the first meal, then I workout at 5pm, then I have a big feast at 6pm (50% of my calories) and the rest is right before going to bed.

Do you guys with such an extreme eating regimen compete or something? I just can't see the results being worth impacting my life to such a massive degree. I just couldn't realistically fit that in to eating with my family.

Maybe if I was young, single and horny it would work / be worth it. ;)

hxa155

as a university student, fasting is much easier than finding time to eat every two to three hours. plus, it seems to work extremely well and my energy levels are high at all times. I'm still eating the same amount of cals, but they're all in the 4pm-10pm window

workout update:
just did my last Legs & Back workout :D gonna start the final recovery week in a couple of days

I3rand0

I just started Week 9 and did PAP Lower for the first time today. This workout seems to me what Plyocide should have been. I also haven't taken a recovery week and will probably just wait until I'm finished with my last week. I feel that if you're doing the recovery workouts at least once a week you really shouldn't have to take one during the program.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay finally. Just finished my first day!

Bit of a clusterfuck getting set up. My apartment has a grand total of ONE doorway that my pull-up bar could fit on and it's nowhere near my screen. I spent two hours yesterday trying to mount it with brackets to my closet door in my bedroom, but no luck in the end. So basically I have to watch them get set up to get the proper form, then run over to the door and do the reps while listening for the time. Whatever. It'll take some getting used to but it's better than not having the bar.

The pull-up assist thing really works. I was able to do 3 pull-ups of the first kind (compared to 0 without the thing) and at least one of the others until my arms basically gave out with 15 minutes left and I could barely do anything.

I'm sort of glad that Chest and Back was the first workout, even though it shamed me greatly. Pull-ups and push ups are by far what I suck the most at. I was able to do 10 regular push-ups, 5 of each of the other types and one fucking diamond push-up- do not understand how doing more of that could ever be possible. And then at like the 45 minute mark my arms just starting giving out and shaking every time I attempted to do anything, so that felt pretty embarrassing. But I did do my best.

Some notes and impressions:

-This shit is obviously the real deal. I could tell from the first 20 minutes of my first workout that it is effective. There's little filler and all of the exercises are refined and targeted.
-Tony Horton does not come off as an asshole at all. This is very, very rare and might be enough to get me through the 90 days alone.
-The videos are cut really well. Love the timers for each section and the entire workout. Love that the breaks are part of the runtime.
-I wish they would demonstrate what you have to do with the bands to replicate the dumbbell moves. They just have the one guy who obviously knows what he's doing do the setup and don't focus on him at all. They have him do stuff like form loops to stretch the band more. I guess I'll pick it up over time.
-I was feeling pretty crushed and embarrassed by the end of the workout, but Tony's little speech at the end about not being able to keep up with them yet is wonderful stuff. Really got me into it and that's not easy. Keep pushing play- that's some motivational junk right there.
-I LOVE Ab Ribber X. I actually forgot it was coming and thought I was done after Chest and Back and it tore me the hell up, but it feels good. I was able to keep up much better here except for those holy fuck what the fifer scissors. How can that possibly hurt that much. And I only did 20 mason twists.
-It feels damn good to get the thread title. :D

Anyway. Good stuff. I know the hardest part of this is going to be getting it into my schedule every day. But I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

Bit of a clusterfuck getting set up. My apartment has a grand total of ONE doorway that my pull-up bar could fit on and it's nowhere near my screen. I spent two hours yesterday trying to mount it with brackets to my closet door in my bedroom, but no luck in the end. So basically I have to watch them get set up to get the proper form, then run over to the door and do the reps while listening for the time. Whatever. It'll take some getting used to but it's better than not having the bar.

The pull-up assist thing really works. I was able to do 3 pull-ups of the first kind (compared to 0 without the thing) and at least one of the others until my arms basically gave out with 15 minutes left and I could barely do anything.

I'm sort of glad that Chest and Back was the first workout, even though it shamed me greatly. Pull-ups and push ups are by far what I suck the most at. I was able to do 10 regular push-ups, 5 of each of the other types and one fucking diamond push-up- do not understand how doing more of that could ever be possible. And then at like the 45 minute mark my arms just starting giving out and shaking every time I attempted to do anything, so that felt pretty embarrassing. But I did do my best.

-This shit is obviously the real deal. I could tell from the first 20 minutes of my first workout that it is effective. There's little filler and all of the exercises are refined and targeted.
-Tony Horton does not come off as an asshole at all. This is very, very rare and might be enough to get me through the 90 days alone.
-The videos are cut really well. Love the timers for each section and the entire workout. Love that the breaks are part of the runtime.
-I wish they would demonstrate what you have to do with the bands to replicate the dumbbell moves. They just have the one guy who obviously knows what he's doing do the setup and don't focus on him at all. They have him do stuff like form loops to stretch the band more. I guess I'll pick it up over time.
-I was feeling pretty crushed and embarrassed by the end of the workout, but Tony's little speech at the end about not being able to keep up with them yet is wonderful stuff. Really got me into it and that's not easy. Keep pushing play- that's some motivational junk right there.
-I LOVE Ab Ribber X. I actually forgot it was coming and thought I was done after Chest and Back and it tore me the hell up, but it feels good. I was able to keep up much better here except for those holy fuck what the fifer scissors. How can that possibly hurt that much. And I only did 20 mason twists.

Anyway. Good stuff. I know the hardest part of this is going to be getting it into my schedule every day. But I'm looking forward to tomorrow.

BROFIST.JPG

Good to hear you found Ab ripper enjoyable!

FOOTE

Good job, Hawkian. Be sure to post after you finish PlyoX tomorrow. I always love those posts.

Ill Saint

So basically I have to watch them get set up to get the proper form, then run over to the door and do the reps while listening for the time. Whatever. It'll take some getting used to but it's better than not having the bar.

This is perfectly fine. I would recommend just hitting the pause button, then go and do the number of reps you're aiming for. Don't stress about keeping up with them for time. Just aim for a number and try to get there, to paraphrase Tony. Use the walk back and forth to get your mind right.

Just attempted Back/Biceps for the first time, possibly the most physically and morally challenging workout for me.

My shoulders are still sore from Back/Triceps, so that sucked going into the pull-ups, which are even tougher and which I am terrible to begin with. This phase feel like a reset so any progress with pull-ups I felt in phase 1 are now gone and I am reminded again how shitty I am at the pull-ups.

And the biceps moves at the end, I cannot remember the last time I needed to take multiple breaks during curls either because I couldn't get my arms up or simply because I picked the wrong weight

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Good job, Hawkian. Be sure to post after you finish PlyoX tomorrow. I always love those posts.
Oh god :lol
This is perfectly fine. I would recommend just hitting the pause button, then go and do the number of reps you're aiming for. Don't stress about keeping up with them for time. Just aim for a number and try to get there, to paraphrase Tony. Use the walk back and forth to get your mind right.
Appreciate the response! Good tip. Eventually I'll have regular goals to hit, I'm sure.

At the moment, I'm not aiming for a certain number- especially with pull-ups. "Doing a couple with good form" is success for me on those for now, hahaha. Makes the "how many are you gonna do, guys?" parts feel a lot like they are attacking me personally. ONE DAY.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Good stuff on starting the awesomeness that P90X is Hawkian. I still remember the first time that I did Chest and Back. Dang, my numbers were godawful (I think I was able to do 12 regular pushups and the variations, like decline pushups, only 6). After the workout I puked my guts out like never before in my life.

Now I can keep up with the kids and do up to 30 pushups in most of the variations. You'll get better too if you bring it.

Oh, and as a tip that I keep mentioning and should be common sense (specially during plyometrics days), is drink a LOT of water throughout the day, and don't eat anything heavy at least 3 hours before the workout.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
After the workout I puked my guts out like never before in my life.
Woow, I'm glad I didn't push myself quite that hard. I definitely look forward to increasing my reps over time. The decline pushups were pretty tough but the diamonds really messed me up.

hxa155

Just attempted Back/Biceps for the first time, possibly the most physically and morally challenging workout for me.

My shoulders are still sore from Back/Triceps, so that sucked going into the pull-ups, which are even tougher and which I am terrible to begin with. This phase feel like a reset so any progress with pull-ups I felt in phase 1 are now gone and I am reminded again how shitty I am at the pull-ups.

And the biceps moves at the end, I cannot remember the last time I needed to take multiple breaks during curls either because I couldn't get my arms up or simply because I picked the wrong weight

It is a very challenging workout. I did it on thursday and I'm on my last P90X week and I still struggled at the very last move.

Ill Saint

At the moment, I'm not aiming for a certain number- especially with pull-ups. "Doing a couple with good form" is success for me on those for now, hahaha. Makes the "how many are you gonna do, guys?" parts feel a lot like they are attacking me personally. ONE DAY.

Hey man, two with good form is still a goal! Next week aim for three on the last set. There's a good reason Horton keeps stressing it. Seriously, set a goal for reps, and write it down. You'll see your numbers go up over time and be amazed. Push yourself every week for one or two more reps. Do it!

tralfazz

Woow, I'm glad I didn't push myself quite that hard. I definitely look forward to increasing my reps over time. The decline pushups were pretty tough but the diamonds really messed me up.

I was right there with you when I first did it Hawkian. Now it's no prob busting out 30 Diamonds. Just keep at it even after the 90 days are up.

I had a great Sunday routine during football season where I would watch the Redzone channel and bust out 5 pushups for every TD and eventually 10 pushups. Mix up the types every 5 sets. I was doing around 500 pushups and turned it into a strength. Just gotta keep at it no matter how humbling.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Now it's no prob busting out 30 Diamonds.
Wow. Holy shit. Feels completely inconceivable to me I could ever get there, but I guess that's how it should be on day 2 :p

Fairly sore in my upper body at the moment, but I like the feeling. Gonna have to get used to it :)

Thanks to missing last Monday because of work I'm going straight from doing Kenpo-X today to doing Chest & Back tomorrow.

I had a cheat day on my diet today so I'm hoping the extra energy will help carry me through a bit. 12 days in a row doesn't seem like too much fun to me.

Ohgod neogaf, help

Yesterday I started p90x. This morning I've woken up, and my triceps are in EXTREME pain. If I even slightly bend my elbows in any direction, it hurts enough to where I can't function, to the point that I may have to call in to work.

Is there anything I can do about this?

lljride

10 weeks into X2 and I just had my first real setback. Woke up this morning and my lower back was stiff as fuck, could barely roll out of bed..I think I slept wrong on Saturday and I'm still feeling the effects. Decided to nix the workout and push to tomorrow. I'm hoping it clears up throughout the day today. If it doesn't I might have to cut my losses, modify this into a full recovery week and go straight into Phase 3. This was going to be my last Phase 2 week anyway.

I did the yoga... I hope you're all very happy. :(

lol

Late, but I am very happy actually lol.

And congrats so far Hawkian, sounds like you got through the first couple days better than I did.

grumble

Ohgod neogaf, help

Yesterday I started p90x. This morning I've woken up, and my triceps are in EXTREME pain. If I even slightly bend my elbows in any direction, it hurts enough to where I can't function, to the point that I may have to call in to work.

Is there anything I can do about this?

Hot shower, advil/aleve/aspirin, and slowly work on bending them and straightening them. You'll get some mobility back and the pain will drop down, but it won't go away. It'll be a rough day.

Don't overdo it next time!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And congrats so far Hawkian, sounds like you got through the first couple days better than I did.
I was pretty careful not push myself too far on a lot of exercises. I'm still pretty sore all over though. Going from sitting to standing is quite a challenge, and reaching for anything above my head results in some pain. The prospect of doing strength training tonight . I should probably get some advil :p
Hot shower, advil/aleve/aspirin, and slowly work on bending them and straightening them. You'll get some mobility back and the pain will drop down, but it won't go away. It'll be a rough day.

Yeah man, it seems like it would be so easy to incapacitate myself here.
KuGsj.gif

Alrix

I've flunked out of P90X twice, after two and three weeks. First time was because I couldn't finish the leg workouts, one knee has a small cyst in it and the other one had some kind of tissue getting pinched inbetween bones or something issue. Got a cortisone shot and hasn't bothered me as much since. Started again in January but fell off at the start of the new semester just due to poor time management/general laziness.

Starting up again hopefully today or tomorrow. I run an annual 5k for my local hospital in June so I'd like to finish before then. Wish me luck.

Thanks. My problem is that I have no idea if Im overdoing it. I couldn't even do the pull up exercises because I haven't gotten the pull up bar yet, so I actually thought I was under doing it til this morning.

@ Hawkian - foam rolling really helps. I didn't even know about it until p90X2, and at first thought it was a gimmick. however, I do it before and after every workout and I am hardly ever sore now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
@ Hawkian - foam rolling really helps. I didn't even know about it until p90X2, and at first thought it was a gimmick. however, I do it before and after every workout and I am hardly ever sore now.
I saw the addition of foam rollers in the OP, but I have to be honest, I don't even know what you do with them or how it helps.

It's funny, I'm reading over the guide a little bit, and I can tell how well-designed (read: brutally logical) this program is. I was looking at what Arms and Shoulders entails and I realized that despite the pain I'm in at the moment it will be primarily hitting the muscles I feel capable of using. My legs are burning and my upper body still doesn't feel capable of doing pull-ups comfortably, but today's workout is almost all flexes and curls with little pushing or pulling nor relying on the lower body. It's like as soon as any group of muscles returns to comfortable levels it's time to work that one to exhaustion again. Wild stuff. Looking forward to tonight even though just walking to and from the water cooler is painful at the moment, hehe

So the plug blew out of my stability ball last night while doing the tricep excersies on it. Luckily my arms were back at the time so the weights went towards the ground and not me. Now I'm worried about doing that excersise again. It's not a low quality ball either.

So the plug blew out of my stability ball last night while doing the tricep excersies on it. Luckily my arms were back at the time so the weights went towards the ground and not me. Now I'm worried about doing that excersise again. It's not a low quality ball either.

was it the beachbody stability ball? from now on ill make sure the plug is never aimed at my face.

I saw the addition of foam rollers in the OP, but I have to be honest, I don't even know what you do with them or how it helps.

Essentially a foam roller allows you to do a deep tissue massage to yourself. You find a spot on your body that is sore, and lean into it using the roller for 20-30 seconds. You don't use it like a rolling pin, more like something to put deep pressure on sore points. It sounds counter intuitive but it works. It really hurts while you do it, especially for sore muscles, but seriously afterwards they are hardly sore at all.

It's called myofascial release.

relevant links: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/massage-improves-post-workout-recovery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_release

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Down 15 pounds (to 209.5) since starting P90X2 and eating better. I am around day 45, but am not quite half way through due to the structure of X2. I may post some pics in the next week or two, but my pants no longer fit without a belt and my tire has gotten much smaller. Still would like to lose another 10, but with the muscle gain on X2 it may balance out.

:)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Essentially a foam roller allows you to do a deep tissue massage to yourself. You find a spot on your body that is sore, and lean into it using the roller for 20-30 seconds. You don't use it like a rolling pin, more like something to put deep pressure on sore points. It sounds counter intuitive but it works. It really hurts while you do it, especially for sore muscles, but seriously afterwards they are hardly sore at all.

It's called myofascial release.

relevant links: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/massage-improves-post-workout-recovery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_release
Interesting, thank you!

I was really pleased to be able to get started with <$100 worth of equipment. But maybe the the soreness really becomes too intense I'll pick one of these up.

Was just trying to help my missus with a routine / form etc. Started to sound a bit like Tony.

Get em up!

"Spread your legs a bit more, mmm that's good" was probably the wrong phrase to use though. :D

Top Bottom