• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Pure cardio is some bullshit. That is all.

Pure cardio is fun as fuck :D

Really though, it is bullshit when you're first starting out. It's discouraging to see the people in the video taking breaks, Shawn T talking about how hard it is, etc etc. But with time, it becomes a lot of fun. Last time I did it, I got super bored with the Plyocide routine for P90X2 and immediately did Pure Cardio right afterword, had a smile on my face the whole time!

EloquentM

aka Mannny

Really though, it is bullshit when you're first starting out. It's discouraging to see the people in the video taking breaks, Shawn T talking about how hard it is, etc etc. But with time, it becomes a lot of fun. Last time I did it, I got super bored with the Plyocide routine for P90X2 and immediately did Pure Cardio right afterword, had a smile on my face the whole time!
You're...you're crazy, man. Definitely right about the discouragement though ha.

Korosenai

Does anyone have any good links to some P90X/Insanity Hybrid calendars? I'm loving Insanity so far, but i'd really like to put on some muscle as well.

big_z

I like the pure cardio workouts the best too. They go by really fast because you get no breaks, mind you I've completed insanity 4 times. Worst insanity workouts are recover days. They feel like a waste of time at this point and I hate the yoga stuff.(I don't have much flexibility)

IrishNinja

nice! getting back into the gym for a bit but i might be down for some of this in the coming months, debating P90X2 (already got the equipment) or Insanity Asylum, but i'd need that ladder thing & their explanation on how to jump rope in my tiny apartment, heh

OP, add me to the Insanity & P90X grads when you can! both were great regiments, still trying to work in bits from them to my routine.

ps ^ yeah looking back pure cardio was pretty cool. plyo was a great challenge that just kinda beat up my joints over time, really most of the month 2 stuff was rough at first but good overall. the only workout i didn't dig even over time was P90's Yoga, just too long & i never took to it, even if it had some good moves.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Folks, here's my (very very early and preliminary and in no way near completed) coaching website. It'll be evolving over time, adding content & such, and definitely changing the style, but for now it's a convenient place to send people to make me their coach.

I'll be adding information about the various workout programs, Shakeology and other nutrition topics, info on how to become a coach, a blog & links, etc.

There's a link to a Facebook page as well, but there's even less there. So you all are getting a sneak peek.

Slowly but surely getting all this off the ground...

I like the pure cardio workouts the best too. They go by really fast because you get no breaks, mind you I've completed insanity 4 times. Worst insanity workouts are recover days. They feel like a waste of time at this point and I hate the yoga stuff.(I don't have much flexibility)

Agreed. I'm decently flexible, and something like an actual Yoga/stretching DVD/class is awesome, but the Insanity recovery routines felt pointless. The exercises weren't really effective in recovery, flexibility, or strength training, they were just annoying. I might do the program a third time before T 25, and I'll probably just do P90X X Stretch on those days.

Menaged

Did the 2nd fit test - what a difference.
I know it might be hard to say that without actually doing a count for each exercise (I lose count) but I could definitely feel that I was doing so much better then the first time.
Plus, I didn't want to kill myself afterwards.
Oh, and fuck them power jumps.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Does anyone have the chin-up max? Or another pull-up assist band? I'm considering getting one for my next P90X run in a few months. For now, I want to keep on using a chair, then progress to the band for round 2, then hopefully be able to do them without any assistance (long ways away from that, still) once I finally get to P90X2 or something else this fall.

I just finished up Phase 1 yesterday and will do my first recovery week starting tomorrow. I'm going to modify it just a bit — don't tell Tony. I'm going to ditch Kenpo X for another cardio workout, and just do the first half of yoga (and yoga belly seven), with a bit of stationary bike thrown in.

EDIT: Also, anyone have a suggestion for weight lifting gloves, or tape, or something like that? The handles of my SelectTechs get pretty slippery during workouts like Shoulders & Arms.

LaneDS

Folks, here's my (very very early and preliminary and in no way near completed) coaching website. It'll be evolving over time, adding content & such, and definitely changing the style, but for now it's a convenient place to send people to make me their coach.

I'll be adding information about the various workout programs, Shakeology and other nutrition topics, info on how to become a coach, a blog & links, etc.

There's a link to a Facebook page as well, but there's even less there. So you all are getting a sneak peek.

Nice, and good luck! I also had no idea you were actually "Steve Meister" but now your username makes perfect sense!

Did legs and back today for the first time in ages and oh man that is a killer. Gonna be wobbly tomorrow, for sure.

Does anyone have the chin-up max? Or another pull-up assist band? I'm considering getting one for my next P90X run in a few months. For now, I want to keep on using a chair, then progress to the band for round 2, then hopefully be able to do them without any assistance (long ways away from that, still) once I finally get to P90X2 or something else this fall.

I just finished up Phase 1 yesterday and will do my first recovery week starting tomorrow. I'm going to modify it just a bit — don't tell Tony. I'm going to ditch Kenpo X for another cardio workout, and just do the first half of yoga (and yoga belly seven), with a bit of stationary bike thrown in.

EDIT: Also, anyone have a suggestion for weight lifting gloves, or tape, or something like that? The handles of my SelectTechs get pretty slippery during workouts like Shoulders & Arms.

No need to buy the chi-up max, Vas, just getting a heavy-duty band and wrap it over your pull up bar. I say "heavy-duty" to make sure it doesn't snap on you and you only need one

I have been doing this for over a year now. Credit goes to Harry Potter and his fiance (wife?) :)

Tekniqs

going to start Insanity today so my rest day falls on Saturdays...
i'm scared lol, hold me bros

edit: i'm probably not going to keep track of my results in the fit test sections but I'ma be giving my all anyway. bad idea?
edit #2: should I still keep going to the gym to lift weights? Like, my main goal right now is to lose FAT..I've been lifting for about 9 months now, i'm a lot stronger than when i started but you can't really see the muscle result from it.

gotoadgo

Ugh, first day of Insainty down. That was pretty rough about half way through as my legs were just going to give way. Got to the end though and pretty keen to keep it going.

Korosenai

going to start Insanity today so my rest day falls on Saturdays...
i'm scared lol, hold me bros

edit: i'm probably not going to keep track of my results in the fit test sections but I'ma be giving my all anyway. bad idea?
edit #2: should I still keep going to the gym to lift weights? Like, my main goal right now is to lose FAT..I've been lifting for about 9 months now, i'm a lot stronger than when i started but you can't really see the muscle result from it.

Ugh, first day of Insainty down. That was pretty rough about half way through as my legs were just going to give way. Got to the end though and pretty keen to keep it going.

Hope you guys enjoy it. It's a lot of fun.

Odinson

01c0ef32-22c1-4053-a57e-0b8996178a65.jpg
adb7ac6f-55fc-4069-aeef-d8cb86bfbb73.jpg
25633e87-fc80-4c1f-b954-a436ff96e55b.jpg

Completed Asylum Vol 1 this week! It was a great experience and lot of work. I was scared of getting into it after going thru insanity twice. It wasn't as bad as I thought and some of the exercises were kinda fun. It has really bumped up my chest some which I'm very happy about. The strength workout was very good and upped the bi's, and tri's a bit. Overall I'm very happy with how I feel after asylum. Now I'll have to decide If I want to go through Asylum again or get Vol 2.

FOOTE

[MG]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/Bark252/01c0ef32-22c1-4053-a57e-0b8996178a65.jpg[/IG][IG]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/Bark252/adb7ac6f-55fc-4069-aeef-d8cb86bfbb73.jpg[/IMG]http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff313/Bark252/25633e87-fc80-4c1f-b954-a436ff96e55b.jpg[IMG]

Completed Asylum Vol 1 this week! It was a great experience and lot of work. I was scared of getting into it after going thru insanity twice. It wasn't as bad as I thought and some of the exercises were kinda fun. It has really bumped up my chest some which I'm very happy about. The strength workout was very good and upped the bi's, and tri's a bit. Overall I'm very happy with how I feel after asylum. Now I'll have to decide If I want to go through Asylum again or get Vol 2.[/QUOTE]

Lookin' super fit, dude. Awesome work!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Completed Asylum Vol 1 this week! It was a great experience and lot of work. I was scared of getting into it after going thru insanity twice. It wasn't as bad as I thought and some of the exercises were kinda fun. It has really bumped up my chest some which I'm very happy about. The strength workout was very good and upped the bi's, and tri's a bit. Overall I'm very happy with how I feel after asylum. Now I'll have to decide If I want to go through Asylum again or get Vol 2.
Damn man. Way to go.

sp3ctr3

P90X Day 60
isometric_60.jpg

Got on the scale this morning and I'm down to 75kg ~165lbs and my fat is down to 18%

The numbers are in:
weight:
day01: 82kg
day30: 78kg
day60: 75kg

fat%:
day01: 26%
day30: 22%
day60: 18%

heres som day01-day60 comparison shots:
comp_side_60.jpg

comp_front_60.jpg

comp_back_60.jpg

Sorry about the lighting. The sun just got up and I'm pale as hell. :D

Tash

I've done two rounds of P90X, One Insanity and Asylum. Then I started P90X2 but a lot of work and traveling interrupted the whole thing and I haven't really worked-out with BB programs in a while.

I have to say though..I absolutely love Asylum. The agility ladder is the best thing ever because it showed me that my control was absolutely abysmal.

Also, P90X2 introduced me to foam-rolling, still not really convinced about it but mostly because it hurts like fuck doing that..specially if you are sore from another workout previously..

Tash

Does anyone have any good links to some P90X/Insanity Hybrid calendars? I'm loving Insanity so far, but i'd really like to put on some muscle as well.

If you didn't buy the actual boxes: I can check once back home. There are some official suggestions. Let me know if you have them already or if I should check for you.

Sec0nd

Whats a good workout routine you can do with the equipment in the gym. I always did a my own customised (read: lazier) version of P90X but it's getting boring. Workouts with dumbbells are preferable.

Edit: Nice progress sp3ctr3!

Tash

Whats a good workout routine you can do with the equipment in the gym. I always did a my own customised (read: lazier) version of P90X but it's getting boring. Workouts with dumbbells are preferable.

P90X, at least the strength days, work really nicely in the gym. Because you have a lot of weights to choose from and don't need to build your own. You can easily increase weight without having to buy upgrades all the time.

Shaun T programs are definitely better done in private. You need a bit of space and most of it is body weight based (Asylum does use some free weights but you won't need to upgrade them as fast as for P90X or P90X2).

I don't feel comfortable doing P90X2 at the gym because of all the Swiss Ball exercises. I feel like a retard doing them with other people around, mostly due to the toughness and how hard it is to hold balance. Personal problem mostly ;).

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Body Beast is perfect for the gym, especially once you learn all the moves. All you need is a workout sheet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I'm getting this blocked by my web filter as potentially dangerous? :/

edit: Awesome results sp3ctr3! Gotta feel good.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm getting this blocked by my web filter as potentially dangerous? :/

edit: Awesome results sp3ctr3! Gotta feel good.

That's very strange. What browser are you using? I just tried it at work (Chrome) and at first it timed out, then it loaded. And we have pretty strict filtering.

Floex

So I'm looking to bulk up abit and keep seeing the Insanity workout. I don't need to lose any fat, just interested if it's something that would suit me

Thanks!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So I'm looking to bulk up abit and keep seeing the Insanity workout. I don't need to lose any fat, just interested if it's something that would suit me

Thanks!

Body Beast will be perfect for you man. Damn good workout and you'll get great results for sure.

It's also a 90 day program. 30 days you'll "build" your muscles, 60 you'll bulk and 30 you'll cut body fat.

You will need to eat a ton though, so hope you have a good appetite!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Amping up my workouts/healthy eating the next two weeks before I head to San Diego. Want to drop a few more lbs. before I am on the beach. Thinking of running outside on the nice days and doing all cardio on the rainy ones. Pure Cardio from Insanity, Plyo/Plyocide from P90X/2, and more.

We'll see how a 12-15 day cardio program goes. :p

I started with P90. If you get it I recommend getting the P90 Master Series. P90 is 90 days in four phases -- 1 and 2 are on one disk, 3 and 4 on another. I switched to 3/4 after 30 days and doing the same few routines for 60 days got repetitive. If you get the Master Series it adds phases 5 and 6. In hindsight I would have ordered that.

As it was P90 was a good kickstart. If you haven't really done much in the way of exercising for a while it's a good choice.

Thanks for the info. This sounds like a pretty good start for me. I've been trying to find details on the Master Series regarding what I'll need other than the dvds.

Do I need weights or any other equipment? Also, is seems there's not calendar or guide as to what workouts to do on what day.

Is the proper method just to mix up the workouts? Or just start with the first and then go through them all and start over?

mm04

Been a long time since I've posted in this thread. Starting P90X2 today as I finally got around to buying the medicine balls and foam roller. Been doing a combination of P90X + Supreme90 for the last year or so and now wanting to take this to the next level. It's just vanity weight around the gut at this point that's left and I'm finally going to eat clean for this round. Trying to get this 42 year old body super-toned before my Hawaii trip in the Summer!

Floex

Body Beast will be perfect for you man. Damn good workout and you'll get great results for sure.

It's also a 90 day program. 30 days you'll "build" your muscles, 60 you'll bulk and 30 you'll cut body fat.

You will need to eat a ton though, so hope you have a good appetite!

Cheers bud, will look into it.

Menaged

Cardio Recovery Lunge Holds and Pulses are KILLER! Those things hurt so bad lol

Yup, shit is crazy, I have no idea how they manage to hold the lunge \ squat position for so long, and on top of that do pulses. My muscles are making me stop quite early.

Today was one of my worst workouts. Did cardio circuit (start of week 3) and just couldn't push thorugh it. I thought about quitting half way through but pushed aside this idea, and did the best I could. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that for the first time I didn't eat properly before. I had my cheat meal (weekly hummus with my friends) around 2:30, and did the workout at around 6pm. I just forgot that my roommate's friend is coming, so I just had to do it... :\

Tash

Yup, shit is crazy, I have no idea how they manage to hold the lunge \ squat position for so long, and on top of that do pulses. My muscles are making me stop quite early.

Today was one of my worst workouts. Did cardio circuit (start of week 3) and just couldn't push thorugh it. I thought about quitting half way through but pushed aside this idea, and did the best I could. I suppose it has something to do with the fact that for the first time I didn't eat properly before. I had my cheat meal (weekly hummus with my friends) around 2:30, and did the workout at around 6pm. I just forgot that my roommate's friend is coming, so I just had to do it... :\

Carb restriction during Insanity is a bad idea. Are you getting enough? Some BCAA might help with bonking. Also, I found that no other program as Shaun Ts react to how I eat so much..

Oh also, I found recording me really helped with checking my form during Insanity and Asylum, My form was much worse than I thought.

Menaged

Carb restriction during Insanity is a bad idea. Are you getting enough? Some BCAA might help with bonking. Also, I found that no other program as Shaun Ts react to how I eat so much..

Oh also, I found recording me really helped with checking my form during Insanity and Asylum, My form was much worse than I thought.

Usually I eat enough I think. I tend to eat a small \ medium meal about a hour and a half before - stuff like kinoa with lantens or whole rice with... something. Up till now I did good, that's why I think I was having trouble today, since for the first time I ate way too early and my body didn't have energy. The problem with hummus is that it's really heavy, so I can't workout 1-2 hours later.

What's BCAA and bonking though? (English ain't my native tongue).

Tash

Usually I eat enough I think. I tend to eat a small \ medium meal about a hour and a half before - stuff like kinoa with lantens or whole rice with... something. Up till now I did good, that's why I think I was having trouble today, since for the first time I ate way too early and my body didn't have energy. The problem with hummus is that it's really heavy, so I can't workout 1-2 hours later.

What's BCAA and bonking though? (English ain't my native tongue).

Ah sorry :)
BCAA is a supplement I take if I, for one reason or another, need to restrict carb intake but still have a high cardio workout ahead of me. Better info here.

Bonking
if you crash/get tired earlier than you are used to and it feels like backwards progression.
Possible reasons are overtraining and not enough calories/carbs/protein intake or sleep

Half a banana and my bcaa before workout normally keeps me up and going :)

Menaged

Ah sorry :)
BCAA is a supplement I take if I, for one reason or another, need to restrict carb intake but still have a high cardio workout ahead of me. Better info here.

Bonking
if you crash/get tired earlier than you are used to and it feels like backwards progression.
Possible reasons are overtraining and not enough calories/carbs/protein intake or sleep

Half a banana and my bcaa before workout normally keeps me up and going :)

Thanks for the help :)

I'll look into BCAA. I have no idea where I can get stuff like that over here (Israel) so I might have to do some research.

In the meantime, I'll just try to eat properly.

Top Bottom