• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Just checking in; 51 days of P90 in the books. Feeling great, haven't missed a workout (and added a few here & there). Starting Insanity in 39 days!

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Good Lord, I got myself a new resistance band (80 pounds) and I just finished Chest and Back. Needless to say, it kicked my butt. My numbers decreased in a a few moves (specially during the second round), but I'm still happy since I'm now more in the 8-10 kinda range.

Does anyone do the pullup moves with a band? How does it feel as a substitute?

And what kind of objects are you putting the band around when you do it?

Ill Saint

Does anyone do the pullup moves with a band? How does it feel as a substitute?

And what kind of objects are you putting the band around when you do it?

I've substituted bands a few times when I couldn't access a bar. They work well as long as your form is good and you go slow to get the most out of the isometric hold. If you're doing more than 12 or so reps without feeling it, change the band or move back a foot.

Most bands should come with a door attachment accessory to use with a sturdy door frame.

I've put an attachment for my band into my loft and I just use mine from there. The angle is pretty good for being like pull-ups... but given it's been a few years since I could do more than 1 pull-up I'm not really in a position to comment for sure. :)

Alrix

Good luck!

Thanks broham. Even though I'm constantly back and forth between layoffs, I tend to stay in decent shape so the P90X workouts themselves aren't that bad (with the exception of Plyo, that is). The problem for me is always staying committed.

Aside from the two times I've gotten through 2-3 weeks of P90X, even as far as regular gym regimens I tend to get in rhythm for a month or two and then layoff for a couple weeks, back on for a few weeks, off for a month, etc etc. Hopefully the third time is the charm with P90X.

My goal is to get through the 90 days and get that nice P90X cut you see in all the P90X commercials, then just maintain with normal gym regimens and shift my focus to more specific areas of fitness I want to improve upon, like my vertical, flexibility/balance, sprints, etc.

Alrix

Can anyone tell me if the 10 Minute workout program worth a purchase or should I go with P90X?

I'm not sure about the program you're referring to, but if it sounds too easy to be true, it probably is. Getting in shape is hard work no matter what.

Go with P90X. You won't be sorry.

I'd say they're aimed at very different types of people (based on their website).

Are you reasonably fit already? You'll need to be for P90X.

Alrix

No I'm what you can call husky. I thought you needed to be reasonably fit for P90X2.

It's recommended that you're P90X fit before you start P90X2. I'm sure people have done P90X when coming in as a beginner, but it'll be really difficult. The guy above recommends P90, that sounds like a good plan imho.

How about Insanity and Insanity: The Asylum?

Insanity is a very intense workout program so you'll want to have some physical ability before starting it. The Asylum is follow up program to Insanity. It incorporates some weight lifting but nothing like P90x and P90x2.

I'd recommend you start with something like Power 90. My brother is also a husky guy and he started that program two weeks ago. He wasn't doing any exercise beforehand and he is still sticking with it.

Ill Saint

How about Insanity and Insanity: The Asylum?

They're called Insanity for a reason. Those are no joke, balls-to-the-wall cardio-heavy workouts. Don't go near them unless you're able to do P90X Plyo very comfortably.

Take the advice and go for Power 90.

Avixph

Insanity is a very intense workout program so you'll want to have some physical ability before starting it. The Asylum is follow up program to Insanity. It incorporates some weight lifting but nothing like P90x and P90x2.

I'd recommend you start with something like Power 90. My brother is also a husky guy and he started that program two weeks ago. He wasn't doing any exercise beforehand and he is still sticking with it.

Oh ok thanks. I will get Power 90 and P90X when my financial aid checks arrive.
Would I need to purchase any equipment with the program?

Oh ok thanks. I will get Power 90 and P90X when my financial aid checks arrive.
Would I need to purchase any equipment with the program?

P90 you don't need much as the band comes with it. You may buy weights. A yoga mat helps although not necessary

I recommend trying out p90 first and see where you are at. It is a great entry program and you will still get very good workouts if you are not in shape at all. It's really the foundation as most of the moves are carried over into p90x.You will know when to switch to p90x when it becomes too easy

Now, people have jumped straight into p90x before, but I really don't recommend it unless you are somewhat fit all around, upper and lower body

With p90x you will need the equipments listed in the OP

Avixph

P90 you don't need much as the band comes with it. You may buy weights. A yoga mat helps although not necessary

I recommend trying out p90 first and see where you are at. It is a great entry program and you will still get very good workouts if you are not in shape at all. It's really the foundation as most of the moves are carried over into p90x.You will know when to switch to p90x when it becomes too easy

Now, people have jumped straight into p90x before, but I really don't recommend it unless you are somewhat fit all around, upper and lower body

With p90x you will need the equipments listed in the OP
Ok Thanks alot.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They're called Insanity for a reason. Those are no joke, balls-to-the-wall cardio-heavy workouts. Don't go near them unless you're able to do P90X Plyo very comfortably.

Take the advice and go for Power 90.
There are people who can do Plyo X "very comfortably"? :O

I just finished today's workout (2:44AM EST). It has become clear to me that sticking with this and maintaining something resembling a social life on my schedule will be tricky. I swear to you I'm not trying to brag with these posts (I think if you asked around the folk on GAF who know me they'd agree that I don't tend to do that), but, girl came over right after work... I wasn't free again til 1:15 or so. Anyway, I squeezed it in tonight at the sacrifice of sleep, but obviously that's not a good idea to do frequently.

Arms and Shoulders was a good workout. I did about as well as I expected, and struggled on a couple moves, but mainly because I stuck with one set of bands the entire way through, which seems to be a tough way to do it. Does anybody in here exclusively use bands over dumbbells I could ask some questions?

Totally struggled through Ab Ripper X tonight in comparison to Saturday. Plyo made everything a struggle, I was just fighting to churn out a handful of the tougher moves like the V-ups, and I thought I was going to pop a blood vessel churning out 22 mason twists compared to my 20 on Monday.

There are people who can do Plyo X "very comfortably"? :O

I just finished today's workout (2:44AM EST). It has become clear to me that sticking with this and maintaining something resembling a social life on my schedule will be tricky. I swear to you I'm not trying to brag with these posts (I think if you asked around the folk on GAF who know me they'd agree that I don't tend to do that), but, girl came over right after work... I wasn't free again til 1:15 or so. Anyway, I squeezed it in tonight at the sacrifice of sleep, but obviously that's not a good idea to do frequently.

Arms and Shoulders was a good workout. I did about as well as I expected, and struggled on a couple moves, but mainly because I stuck with one set of bands the entire way through, which seems to be a tough way to do it. Does anybody in here exclusively use bands over dumbbells I could ask some questions?

Totally struggled through Ab Ripper X tonight in comparison to Saturday. Plyo made everything a struggle, I was just fighting to churn out a handful of the tougher moves like the V-ups, and I thought I was going to pop a blood vessel churning out 22 mason twists compared to my 20 on Monday.

Totally agree on the social part. I'm not a very social guy but I have had to turn down few invites or be late to social gathering because the workout and diet come first. I even went to a pizza place and just sat there while my friends were all chucking down pizzas

I'd imagine that if I had a particularly active social life I'd want to switch to working out in the morning. Thankfully I don't so I can work out in the evening. :D

FOOTE

I'm not sure about the program you're referring to, but if it sounds too easy to be true, it probably is. Getting in shape is hard work no matter what.

Go with P90X. You won't be sorry.

http://www.beachbody.com/product/fitness_programs/10_minute_trainer.do

I'd avoid it unless you're extremely overweight and need to some sort of starting point.

Totally agree on the social part. I'm not a very social guy but I have had to turn down few invites or be late to social gathering because the workout and diet come first. I even went to a pizza place and just sat there while my friends were all chucking down pizzas

this is the one thing about doing this program that is unfortunate. There are definitely times where I feel left out of things because of the diet. Oh well, I have a six pack and they don't.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Since day 1. Go for it.
Awesome, thank you!

1. Do you know if the colors are relatively standard? Is it likely that my Black Mountain red band is the same resistance as the red band I see someone using on screen?
2. In Shoulders/Arms for example, do you switch bands frequently depending on the exercise?
3. Do you have multiple sets of handles- can you buy them individually? If I need to use more than one band during a set I'd like to just keep both handy rather than having to disconnect and reconnect every time.
4. Sometimes it feels like there's way more resistance for my left arm than my right. Is this a result of my left arm being weaker (it definitely is), or am I stepping on the band in the wrong place?

Yeah, I can totally get behind that. I'm not afraid to delay or put off hanging out with friends to get in my workout or going for something light when others are eating a ton of carbs. There are just certain things I can't sacrifice :p

I'd imagine that if I had a particularly active social life I'd want to switch to working out in the morning. Thankfully I don't so I can work out in the evening. :D
This is good advice. I really wish I could do it. I just hate the morning so damn much. I'm getting up at 7:30 and I usually snooze til 7:50-8. Plus the fact that not every workout is the same length would mess me up.

Yoga X today. I'm gonna do it today just to get it, but I'm already leaning toward replacing it with the one from X2. 92 minutes with no ab ripper is really quite a lot.

edit: Hopefully not jynxing myself, but I don't seem to be quite as sore today. Probably because I didn't do Plyo yesterday, haha.
edit2: Actually that reminds me... after reading this:
Essentially a foam roller allows you to do a deep tissue massage to yourself. You find a spot on your body that is sore, and lean into it using the roller for 20-30 seconds. You don't use it like a rolling pin, more like something to put deep pressure on sore points. It sounds counter intuitive but it works. It really hurts while you do it, especially for sore muscles, but seriously afterwards they are hardly sore at all.

It's called myofascial release.

relevant links: http://www.mensfitness.com/training/build-muscle/massage-improves-post-workout-recovery

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_release
I have a handheld shower head with a massage setting. After the workout last night I ran it slowly over my shoulders and arms and any time I found a sore spot I held it there for 20 seconds or so. I don't know if it's the same principle or not but maybe it actually had an impact. I still feel it when I lift my arms but it's not as bad.

Ill Saint

Awesome, thank you!

1. Do you know if the colors are relatively standard? Is it likely that my Black Mountain red band is the same resistance as the red band I see someone using on screen?
2. In Shoulders/Arms for example, do you switch bands frequently depending on the exercise?
3. Do you have multiple sets of handles- can you buy them individually? If I need to use more than one band during a set I'd like to just keep both handy rather than having to disconnect and reconnect every time.
4. Sometimes it feels like there's way more resistance for my left arm than my right. Is this a result of my left arm being weaker (it definitely is), or am I stepping on the band in the wrong place?

1. I believe they are generally similar. Some brands have a larger variety of resistances with more colours. Yellow, light green, reds tend to be the lighter strengths, while black, purple or similar dark colours tends to be the strongest. Check out the different brands and see how they compare. Last I checked for example the strongest SPRI was purple.

2. Switch depending on the exercise and what you feel comfortable with. This might take a bit of experimenting, but luckily it's what the 2nd round is for if you find you're way off. You can also adjust your loop or stance to get more or less resistance from one band. I usually use a blue medium strength SPRI band for tricep work and high rep straight arm moves, a purple strong SPRI for moves that require raised arms, and a Ripcords Black Sniper (super duper strength) for curls.

3. The bands I use don't have removable handles. There is a brand out there that lets you use multiple bands on one set of handles or something like that. I don't have any experience with those. I don't think you really need more than 3 bands to get the required range of strengths.

4. It's quite normal for one arm to be slightly weaker. If you feel the need to compensate for one arm just adjust your foot a little. You'll get used to getting the right balance fairly quickly. One way to check is to get your band and stance in position and check that the height of the handles at base tension is roughly equal.

Hope that's of some help!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
1. I believe they are generally similar. Some brands have a larger variety of resistances with more colours. Yellow, light green, reds tend to be the lighter strengths, while black, purple or similar dark colours tends to be the strongest. Check out the different brands and see how they compare. Last I checked for example the strongest SPRI was purple.

2. Switch depending on the exercise and what you feel comfortable with. This might take a bit of experimenting, but luckily it's what the 2nd round is for if you find you're way off. You can also adjust your loop or stance to get more or less resistance from one band. I usually use a blue medium strength SPRI band for tricep work and high rep straight arm moves, a purple strong SPRI for moves that require raised arms, and a Ripcords Black Sniper (super duper strength) for curls.

3. The bands I use don't have removable handles. There is a brand out there that lets you use multiple bands on one set of handles or something like that. I don't have any experience with those. I don't think you really need more than 3 bands to get the required range of strengths.

4. It's quite normal for one arm to be slightly weaker. If you feel the need to compensate for one arm just adjust your foot a little. You'll get used to getting the right balance fairly quickly. One way to check is to get your band and stance in position and check that the height of the handles at base tension is roughly equal.

Hope that's of some help!
Thank you! Awesome and very helpful answers.

My bands have removable handles and you can add in multiple bands or even all of them at the same time for around 70lbs of resistance (and it came with a card for a free 45lb band by mail :eek:). Oddly enough the red is the strongest of the ones in the set. It's this one http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003V5JQ2O/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I used the black all throughout the Shoulders/Arms one but I should probably be using the red for curls and maybe a combo for the straight arm moves.

Thanks for the answer to #4, that's very reassuring.

I gotta say, I do like the way the bands feel. You can tell easily that the target muscles are being hit, but I don't get the fatigue I do from just holding a weight in my hand the whole time. I'm not going for size at all, so it's a very good fit. And there's so portable, it's amazing. Hooking all the bands up to my handles, it's like having a range of 5-60 pound dumbbells I can put in a backpack :D

I really don't feel up to plyo tonight. My legs are still aching from the weekend and I feel like I want to curl up in a ball and weep. :(

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
what do I need to buy before I do this P90X2 stuff? I don't want any excuses from myself about not having the right equipment and shit

For X2 the Stability ball is a must, you can get those everywhere. Also med balls (4) and the foam roller are used a ton. I don't have med balls or the roller, but I need to look into the balls at least because phase 2 relies on them heavily.

Bands or dumbbells as well.

I really don't feel up to plyo tonight. My legs are still aching from the weekend and I feel like I want to curl up in a ball and weep. :(

I get that way too, the worst is Saturday morning workout. Just go into it telling yourself you can do a bit less on each move. It will make you feel like you can manage it more, and then you'll surprise yourself when you say "screw it" and do all the moves anyways. :p

Lighting makes all the difference when checking out your abs. Some days I look like a god damn Adonis and others it looks like there's nothing there :S Shadows make a huge difference.

Im modifying my diet for a month to see if i can shred my last bit of fat, or as my family calls it "skin". Can someone tell me if this is any good:

Breakfast:
2 Egg Omelette ~ 200 Calories
Protein Shake ~ 200 Calories

Mid Morning Snack:
Protein Bar ~ 200 Calories
Apple - Negative Calories

Lunch:
Chicken Salad - 4oz Chicken Grilled, Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Pepper, Lemon Juice and Feta cheese ~ 300 Calories

Mid Afternoon:
Nuts ~100-300 Calories

Dinner:
4oz Chicken, Veg (Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower, Peas) Gravy
Alternates with a lamb shank - ~ 200 Calories

Supper:

Day total: ~1600-1800 Calories

This is the cheapest i can keep my diet. Its basically one fillet of chicken a day. I could possibly up it to 2 fillets a day. My current one is obviously putting me into starvation so im not losing weight as quick as i should be.

I'd like to try p90x, but I need dumbells and I don't have much to spend. Any recommendations? Will I be fine with these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YZD1C6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm not sure how much weight I'll need. I don't like resistance bands btw, that's why I'm asking about dumbells.

What do you not like about bands? I did P90X with weights and am doing P90X2 with bands and i much prefer the bands, i can feel the burn in the targeted muscle more than areas that im not even working.

I'd like to try p90x, but I need dumbells and I don't have much to spend. Any recommendations? Will I be fine with these?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004YZD1C6/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I'm not sure how much weight I'll need. I don't like resistance bands btw, that's why I'm asking about dumbells.

Depends on your strength level but you'll probably be fine with a set of 10lbs - 25lbs or so if you're not looking to put on mass. I'm on phase 2 of p90x and I've been using a pair of 10 lbs and 20 lbs dumbbells and resistance bands for pullups pretty much exclusively.

Beezy

What do you not like about bands? I did P90X with weights and am doing P90X2 with bands and i much prefer the bands, i can feel the burn in the targeted muscle more than areas that im not even working.

I'm sure its just me, but the feeling of something pulling at me was just annoying. I never felt comfortable using it so I let my cousin have it.

Depends on your strength level but you'll probably be fine with a set of 10lbs - 25lbs or so if you're not looking to put on mass. I'm on phase 2 of p90x and I've been using a pair of 10 lbs and 20 lbs dumbbells and resistance bands for pullups pretty much exclusively.
Oh ok. I'll keep looking. If I can't find something better that's $50 or less, I'll go with this.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Im modifying my diet for a month to see if i can shred my last bit of fat, or as my family calls it "skin". Can someone tell me if this is any good:

Breakfast:
2 Egg Omelette ~ 200 Calories

Mid Morning Snack:
Protein Bar ~ 200 Calories
Apple - Negative Calories

Lunch:
Chicken Salad - 4oz Chicken Grilled, Lettuce, Tomato, Cucumber, Pepper, Lemon Juice and Feta cheese ~ 300 Calories

Mid Afternoon:
Nuts ~100-300 Calories

Dinner:
4oz Chicken, Veg (Broccoli, Carrots, Cauliflower, Peas) Gravy
Alternates with a lamb shank - ~ 200 Calories

Supper:

Day total: ~1600-1800 Calories

This is the cheapest i can keep my diet. Its basically one fillet of chicken a day. I could possibly up it to 2 fillets a day. My current one is obviously putting me into starvation so im not losing weight as quick as i should be.
That sounds incredibly effective to me. Barely any carbohydrates in there, plenty of good protein, and you're burning tons on X2 I'm sure.[

I'm really liking them too. I didn't know what to expect but they feel really good. I can understand how someone would prefer the non-elastic resistance of dumbbells though.

That sounds incredibly effective to me. Barely any carbohydrates in there, plenty of good protein, and you're burning tons on X2 I'm sure.[

I'm really liking them too. I didn't know what to expect but they feel really good. I can understand how someone would prefer the non-elastic resistance of dumbbells though.

Cool. Just need it in my head more food = more fat loss.

I prefer bands for my pull ups. I felt a lot of the work in pull ups with a bar hurt my shoulders before i felt it in my back where the bands just wreck my back very quickly.

I use a mixture of bands and weights for my biceps though. I love the pump from weights!

tralfazz

A good question, I haven't been using anything like this yet.

On the topic, how does Chocolate almond milk strike you guys as a recovery drink?

I use fat-free choco milk with a scoop of protein. Tastes great and a lot of people swear by it. Should work for you.

Top Bottom