• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Cesar

Banned
I want to start this program too, but I don't find the info I'm looking for in the OP. I don't want to loose weight as I'm skinny by nature and I have a good condition already, I go jogging and mountainbike multiple times a week. I just want to grow some muscles, especially the upper body. What program should I start with?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I want to start this program too, but I don't find the info I'm looking for in the OP. I don't want to loose weight as I'm skinny by nature and I have a good condition already, I go jogging and mountainbike multiple times a week. I just want to grow some muscles, especially the upper body. What program should I start with?

P90X will get you built up a bit. Just try to get dumbbells. You'll want to go for more weight at less reps.

SteeloDMZ

Banned

Just like I mentioned to another user a couple posts ago: do Body Beast if you can purchase quite a few different set of weights or if you have a gym near to you. You could also do P90X to grow muscle, but you need to modify the program somewhat.

And, again, eat a lot.

Tash

I would go with P90X2 or Body Beast.
Insanity and Asylum do build lean muscles but they are very focused on stripping you down even more so.

Bert409

So is it that necessary to do all of the exercises watching the DVDs? There's really no way for me to do pullups in my apartment.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So is it that necessary to do all of the exercises watching the DVDs? There's really no way for me to do pullups in my apartment.

It's better if you can -- at the very least you can use a resistance band hooked around something stable. They always have someone doing that in all of the workouts where you do pull-ups and chin-ups.

sp3ctr3

Sec0nd said:
Edit: Nice progress sp3ctr3!

SteveMeister said:
Nice work, sp3ctr3 and Bark252!

SteeloDMZ said:
The belly practically melted away. Great job sp3ctr3.

Hawkian said:
edit: Awesome results sp3ctr3! Gotta feel good.

Nub said:
Originally Posted by SteveMeister:
Nice work, sp3ctr3 and Bark252!
Also, this.

Snkfanatic said:
Excellent work dude!

sp3ctr3, keep up the good work!

Thanks guys, it really does feel great. I've posted it a couple a times before and I'm posting it again. When I stare at myself everyday I can't see any change, but when you compare the pictures it really hits you.
The jeans I'm wearing in the pictures I bought 4 weeks ago and they were tight as hell figuring they would fit when I'm done. They're too loose already. None of my clothes fit anymore! My Size Large t-shirts are tight, which is awesome :p , but all my jeans are loose. My belt is in the furthest hole and loose. I think I've gone a size or two down in pants size.

Another awesome thing I noticed is, that I'm now fit enough to do the reps and feel the burn in the right places. Pushups are awesome now. Before my arms would give up before I felt ANYTHING in my chest. Now I can keep going and really feel the burn in the chest, so that will finally tighten up. Also, I can feel my shoulders are lacking strength compared to my arms. Shoulders & arms and chest, shoulder & tricep videos, I can feel that my shoulder give up way before my arms.

I still suck at pullups and doing assisted ones doesn't help a great deal. It pisses me off to no end. Normal pullup, I can do 1½ but assisted feels so damn easy. I tried putting the chair so far away I can barely reach it with my toes, but then it just doesn't feel like I'm working out the correct muscles.... so frustrating. I'm considering buying a set of bands to tie to the pullup bar, so I can strap my foot in for some assistance in the pullup. In this way I will hang beneath the bar like a regular pullup. That should work right??

sorry for the wall of text, I got a bit carried away :)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

You have a door for the pull up rig? Otherwise get a set of bands, they usually come with a door piece that you put the bands through then close in the door. Either works.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I still suck at pullups and doing assisted ones doesn't help a great deal. It pisses me off to no end. Normal pullup, I can do 1½ but assisted feels so damn easy. I tried putting the chair so far away I can barely reach it with my toes, but then it just doesn't feel like I'm working out the correct muscles.... so frustrating. I'm considering buying a set of bands to tie to the pullup bar, so I can strap my foot in for some assistance in the pullup. In this way I will hang beneath the bar like a regular pullup. That should work right??

You can do that or get the chin-up max from Beachbody, which might be a little safer. it's also adjustable, in terms of both stirrup height and the amount of assistance (it has 3 bands, you can remove the middle one or the two outside ones to adjust the tension). Moving the stirrup up & down adjusts the assistance as well. I have one and it works well.

LaneDS

I really like the chin-up max, and similar products. I know you can do the same thing cheaper, but safety is important especially with bands. Plenty of horror stories of snapping bands and people injuring themselves, so I say invest in good equipment whenever possible.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I hear you sp3ctr3 on pull-ups. I'm so, so much better at pretty much every move since I started, but pull-ups are still a nightmare for me. Sometimes I just don't do wide grip since I know my numbers and form will be pathetic, so I just go for palms facing pull-ups or chin-ups, which I'm considerably better at.

Bollocks

Ok so I've been invited to a Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant tomorrow, anything in particular I should avoid in regards to my workout(Insanity)?
I already looked at the menu and I have no idea what all that stuff is, I just don't want to kill my form completely with that dinner.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Don't stress too much about it. If you have been working hard, and will keep working hard, a rare "cheat meal" won't screw your progress.

Try to eat dishes that have chicken and vegetables, and don't eat too much rice or noodles.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ok so I've been invited to a Chinese/Vietnamese restaurant tomorrow, anything in particular I should avoid in regards to my workout(Insanity)?
I already looked at the menu and I have no idea what all that stuff is, I just don't want to kill my form completely with that dinner.
A general rule of thumb to go by when eating out is to ask for "more (x), less (starch)". So, for a dish with rice and chicken, or pasta and vegetables, etc. get less of the starchy, carb-filled component. And eat brown rice or whole wheat pasta whenever possible. But ultimately, it's not really a big deal in moderation.

FOOTE

Day two of Insanity down and I think I'll be having nightmares about basketball drills......

:lol yup - It's good though.

Don't stress too much about it. If you have been working hard, and will keep working hard, a rare "cheat meal" won't screw your progress.

Try to eat dishes that have chicken and vegetables, and don't eat too much rice or noodles.

this

A general rule of thumb to go by when eating out is to ask for "more (x), less (starch)". So, for a dish with rice and chicken, or pasta and vegetables, etc. get less of the starchy, carb-filled component. And eat brown rice or whole wheat pasta whenever possible. But ultimately, it's not really a big deal in moderation.

and this

walei

I'm on my second month for Insanity. Did the third fitness test with small to moderate improvements over the last time which is great. Having to do the Max Interval Plyo afterwards is not though... I couldn't even do the warm up properly because I went all out on the fitness test. I still played the whole program through but found myself just did a few repetitions of each exercise and then lying on the floor watching the people in the video do the stuff.

My quads are sore and my butt hurts. I am afraid of this second month...

Week 3 of Insanity completed. Feels good and each time we come away saying "I went the hardest this time" meaning we keep improving the pace.

Rest day tomorrow and then all out for week 4 before rest week. Loving the results.

Haven't worked out in so long, so finally I'm going to start power 90 this week (supposedly its better to start with power 90 rather than p90x).

I'll have to get some dumbbells and a pull-up bar as well. Will these work? I'm 5'8, 170lbs, skinny but with a "big" belly for my size.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-lb-Adjustable-Dumbbell-Set/21672511

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Gym-Total-Upper-Workout/dp/B001EJMS6K

If you are completely out of shape, P90 will help you ease into P90X. For P90 you don't need pull-up bar just yet. Just dumbells and a yoga mat

Chinner

Banned
is starting strength still considered decent or has peoples changed their minds now? wanting to put some on muscle on after losing most of it last year when i got pretty ill. or is 90x okay for muscle gain too? got a gym accessible so equipment shouldnt be a problem.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Enjoying my first X2 rest week. The foundain phase was incredible for me (I balanced my diet for gains versus my previous calorie deficit). I'm looking forward to starting strength next week.

FlyFaster

Thanks guys, it really does feel great. I've posted it a couple a times before and I'm posting it again. When I stare at myself everyday I can't see any change, but when you compare the pictures it really hits you.

Hey man, I'm glad you've stuck with it. I subbed this thread a while back just to follow your progress. You're making great improvements! Keep it up, summer is just around the corner!!

on the pull up issue, have you tried one leg on the chair and one leg off? I suck at pull ups too. I try to bust out as many as I can and I use the chair when I get tired. Not as good as no chair but better then nothing imo.

Tash

I'm on my second month for Insanity. Did the third fitness test with small to moderate improvements over the last time which is great. Having to do the Max Interval Plyo afterwards is not though... I couldn't even do the warm up properly because I went all out on the fitness test. I still played the whole program through but found myself just did a few repetitions of each exercise and then lying on the floor watching the people in the video do the stuff.

My quads are sore and my butt hurts. I am afraid of this second month...

hehe, yeah. I remembered when I started my second month of Insanity...

is starting strength still considered decent or has peoples changed their minds now? wanting to put some on muscle on after losing most of it last year when i got pretty ill. or is 90x okay for muscle gain too? got a gym accessible so equipment shouldnt be a problem.

p90x is good for muscle gain too, depending on how you approach it. As long as you follow the guideline of lifting heavy enough that you do 8-10 reps with the last three being tough to pull off, you'll see gains. Diet, consistency, etc etc all play into it also, of course.

I'd recommend a good pre and post workout, as well. Goes a long way, I've found. (PharmAssault and Afterglow are my weapons of choice.)

Hope that helps :)

RedAssedApe

Banned
Started P90 Sculpt 3-4 today. LOL @ Tony and his max push-ups. How inadequate did you feel the first time you did 25 pushups, crumpled to the floor and he crunches out like another 50 without breaking a sweat? Even the black dude in the video is like f-this I'm out.

What ive started doing specifically for bulking is copying the routines but using such a heavy weight that i can only do 6-8 reps of 3 sets. Going to failure on the final set. I work two muscle groups a day and i've noticed better gains this way than I did using Body Beasts (Bulk) programs. I still maintain their bulk exercises are still better for cutting.

So in short:

Heavy Weight
6-8 reps
3 sets, final set until failure
2 muscle groups a day

Should take around 40 minutes.

Also diet. Youre going to need carbs. Look at bulking diets on Google.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
two big Yoga milestones today. I actually managed to maintain Crane alongside the crew, and I also got up into Wheel successfully. Feels good.

JohnnieTheGamer

Neo Member
Well, I'm on week 3 and we haven't missed a workout. Our diet is on point too. Unforunately, I weighed myself this morning and I've only lost less than a pound.:(

I'm going to keep at it, but it's hard not to be discouraged. I'm thinking that two weeks is probably way too soon to start seeing significant results.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Well, I'm on week 3 and we haven't missed a workout. Our diet is on point too. Unforunately, I weighed myself this morning and I've only lost less than a pound.:(

I'm going to keep at it, but it's hard not to be discouraged. I'm thinking that two weeks is probably way too soon to start seeing significant results.

Keep at it. A lot people experience crazy results around day 60.

Also, now that you know the correct form of the moves, try to ramp up the intensity a little.

Menaged

Are you talking about insanity?
I'm starting week 3 as well. I don't know about my weight since I don't have a scale, but I don't see a difference as well. I just tell myself that it's too soon, and according to a lot of people, results usually shows up during month two

JohnnieTheGamer

Neo Member
Keep at it. A lot people experience crazy results around day 60.

Also, now that you know the correct form of the moves, try to ramp up the intensity a little.

Thanks. I keep telling myself and my wife that we probably shouldn't really expect to see results until a good month in. I'm definitely going to try pushing myself even harder.

Are you talking about insanity?
I'm starting week 3 as well. I don't know about my weight since I don't have a scale, but I don't see a difference as well. I just tell myself that it's too soon, and according to a lot of people, results usually shows up during month two

Nah, P90X. I think you're better off not having a scale.:p It's too easy to use the scale as the most important measuring stick.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
two big Yoga milestones today. I actually managed to maintain Crane alongside the crew, and I also got up into Wheel successfully. Feels good.

Awesome! I did finally get Crane, but Wheel always eluded me.

Nah, P90X. I think you're better off not having a scale.:p It's too easy to use the scale as the most important measuring stick.

Yep. Don't bother with ANY measurements -- weight or otherwise -- any more often than about every 30 days, or when the program tells you to take your measurements.

Tash

Awesome! I did finally get Crane, but Wheel always eluded me.

Yep. Don't bother with ANY measurements -- weight or otherwise -- any more often than about every 30 days, or when the program tells you to take your measurements.

Not only that but since muscles weigh more than fat tissue (well, explained very roughly..) the scale is a bad measurement.

How your cloths fit is a way better indicator of progress :)

Tash

Just to put this into perspective:
I started with P90X. Granted I was always quite sporty (Competitive Fast Pitch Softball, Skiing and Tennis when I was younger) but I have been diagnosed with MS a few years ago.
Two years after the diagnosis I was sick and tired of not having full control over my body (balance issues and non existing strength).

I started with P90X but super light weights and modificiations to fit my strength.
ANY program can be modified to your needs...

I am now a double P90X graduate, Insanity and Asylum Graduate, started P90X and am currently doing a proper Gym routine with lifting quite heavy (25kg deadlifts and improving).
When I started P90X I couldn't do normal push-ups and was at 20+ consecutive Push-ups after the three month.
No pull-ups and ended up with 3 unassisted pull-ups after the first three month :)
Oh and no balance issues any more and great flexibility.

Inversive

I just started insanity and couldn't walk after the fit test, my legs were like jelly haha. Felt really sick and light headed too, feels good.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I started with P90X. Granted I was always quite sporty (Competitive Fast Pitch Softball, Skiing and Tennis when I was younger) but I have been diagnosed with MS a few years ago.
Two years after the diagnosis I was sick and tired of not having full control over my body (balance issues and non existing strength).

I started with P90X but super light weights and modificiations to fit my strength.

I am now a double P90X graduate, Insanity and Asylum Graduate, started P90X and am currently doing a proper Gym routine with lifting quite heavy (25kg deadlifts and improving).
When I started P90X I couldn't do normal push-ups and was at 20+ consecutive Push-ups after the three month.
No pull-ups and ended up with 3 unassisted pull-ups after the first three month :)

Awesome. Very very awesome.

Nice

Menaged

I just started insanity and couldn't walk after the fit test, my legs were like jelly haha. Felt really sick and light headed too, feels good.

I know that feeling. I think around day 5 I started feeling much better

I started insanity with a friend but he quit yesterday. He was complaining about pains in his lower back. He wasn't totally committed anyway.didn't dig deeper and didn't change his diet.

OchreHand

Body Beast grads! Which program are you doing now? I'm a month away from finishing my second round and considering p90x again. Kiiind of missing Tony and the gang. Also I was hoping to hear more about p90x3 around this time.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Body Beast grads! Which program are you doing now? I'm a month away from finishing my second round and considering p90x again. Kiiind of missing Tony and the gang. Also I was hoping to hear more about p90x3 around this time.

I'm still doing Beast.

I'm going to basic military training on September, so I'll start doing P90X in about a month, which will be perfect to get me ready for that.

Thinking about doing one of these but I'm not sure what I should go for. My goals are mostly to lose like 10 pounds and get my cardio back up to something reasonable. Toning and any strength gains are a welcome bonus.

Insanity sounds like it is probably the program for me but I figured I'd ask here before I committed to anything.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Thinking about doing one of these but I'm not sure what I should go for. My goals are mostly to lose like 10 pounds and get my cardio back up to something reasonable. Toning and any strength gains are a welcome bonus.

Insanity sounds like it is probably the program for me but I figured I'd ask here before I committed to anything.

Yep, Insanity. Focus T25 is coming in July some time, but for now I'd recommend Insanity.

I'd asked a few weeks ago if folks were interested in joining an Insanity Challenge Group, but I didn't get much of a response. Basically it'll be a group of folks all doing Insanity at the same time, and you'll post daily about your workouts (either here or in a Facebook group). You'll also do the Beachbody Challenge, submitting before & after photos and logging workouts in the Super Gym which can qualify you to win prizes.

If anyone wants to get involved in one of these let me know.

I will absolutely be running Focus T25 group(s) once it's out.

Yep, Insanity. Focus T25 is coming in July some time, but for now I'd recommend Insanity.

I'd asked a few weeks ago if folks were interested in joining an Insanity Challenge Group, but I didn't get much of a response. Basically it'll be a group of folks all doing Insanity at the same time, and you'll post daily about your workouts (either here or in a Facebook group). You'll also do the Beachbody Challenge, submitting before & after photos and logging workouts in the Super Gym which can qualify you to win prizes.

If anyone wants to get involved in one of these let me know.

I will absolutely be running Focus T25 group(s) once it's out.

Thanks for the response man. Insanity is the one for me then!

As for a Challenge Group, I'd be interested but I was hoping to start Insanity next Monday. If we can get a group together by then I'll join.

Top Bottom