• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Beezy

Cool. Just need it in my head more food = more fat loss.

I prefer bands for my pull ups. I felt a lot of the work in pull ups with a bar hurt my shoulders before i felt it in my back where the bands just wreck my back very quickly.

I use a mixture of bands and weights for my biceps though. I love the pump from weights!

also this

LaneDS

How much would I piss off the neighbors that live in the apartment under mine by doing P90x during the evenings/nights? If I can avoid things that involve jumping or stomping, I might invest in one of the available packages.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How much would I piss off the neighbors that live in the apartment under mine by doing P90x during the evenings/nights? If I can avoid things that involve jumping or stomping, I might invest in one of the available packages.
I take it you don't have a carpeted area to do it in?

Plyo's got to be the biggest noisemaker but a lot of it is encouraging soft landing, that's part of the form. So especially if you're on carpet it won't be bad at all for people below you. If you have hard floors, a thick mat is probably all your need.

tralfazz

What protein powder is that? I haven't gotten into supplements or anything of the sort yet.

I get the EAS 100% Whey choco from Target at $20. Tastes fantastic in the choco milk.

For my mid-afternoon protein shake, I mix water with Labrada Lean Body strwaberry ice cream. Get it for $29 on Amazon. Tastes ok. Both powders have lots of good stuff.

I got a pylo mat and it greatly reduces the shock and sound.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I get the EAS 100% Whey choco from Target at $20. Tastes fantastic in the choco milk.

For my mid-afternoon protein shake, I mix water with Labrada Lean Body strwaberry ice cream. Get it for $29 on Amazon. Tastes ok. Both powders have lots of good stuff.
How long do those last you for would you say?

LaneDS

I take it you don't have a carpeted area to do it in?

Plyo's got to be the biggest noisemaker but a lot of it is encouraging soft landing, that's part of the form. So especially if you're on carpet it won't be bad at all for people below you. If you have hard floors, a thick mat is probably all your need.

I'll have to look into that then. Thanks!

Mollymauk

Congratulations! Was it your first time through?

Are people still getting added to the "graduates" list in the OP?

Thanks! Yes, it was my first time through. I stuck with it and completed it. The time committment was quite demanding. I was in a rush all morning long, and was always nearly late to work. But I'm proud of myself for doing it.

:)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holy shit that was the toughest workout for me so far. Man... I am not flexible.

Damnit. Well, it was a way better workout than I thought it would be. I was sweating the entire time, from like 10-15 minutes in. Yoga is probably really good for me to do, but man. Long.

Pros and cons of swapping in the one from X2? Does it have any of the yoga belly exercises? They were very challenging for me but I like that it includes them.

Holy shit that was the toughest workout for me so far. Man... I am not flexible.

Damnit. Well, it was a way better workout than I thought it would be. I was sweating the entire time, from like 10-15 minutes in. Yoga is probably really good for me to do, but man. Long.

Pros and cons of swapping in the one from X2? Does it have any of the yoga belly exercises? They were very challenging for me but I like that it includes them.

Pros:

Not 5 years long
It has 3 ab exercises
You should be working your core through most of yoga anyways so don't worry about abs
It's a lot more beginner friendly

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pros:

Not 5 years long
It has 3 ab exercises
You should be working your core through most of yoga anyways so don't worry about abs
It's a lot more beginner friendly
Wow that sounds fantastic. I didn't think anything in X2 would be more beginner friendly. I guess next Tuesday I'll be trying that :D

You got a foam roller? They're a god send.
I don't know if it's the same principle or not, but I've been using the massage setting on my handheld showerhead after workouts and I feel a lot less sore today and yesterday than the two prior mornings-after. If you've got one I recommend giving it a shot. My showerhead was pretty cheap, not more than $40.

Unrelated, am I the only person here who would like to break the knees of the bouncy son-of-a-bitch in Plyo X? I find him so demoralising when I'm struggling to just stay with the normal moves. :(

I appreciate I have anger issues. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Unrelated, am I the only person here who would like to break the knees of the bouncy son-of-a-bitch in Plyo X? I find him so demoralising when I'm struggling to just stay with the normal moves. :(

I appreciate I have anger issues. :D
Hahaha. He does have springs for legs... bastard

I ought to get me one of those.

It's worth it in my experience. Although I think soon you can tell by your own bio feedback how hard are you are pushing

Speaking of which, Kenpo x for the first time seemed way too easy for me. I was worried maybe I didn't go hard enough even though I'm sure I did. Gonna have to push harder next time

Ill Saint

It's worth it in my experience. Although I think soon you can tell by your own bio feedback how hard are you are pushing

Speaking of which, Kenpo x for the first time seemed way too easy for me. I was worried maybe I didn't go hard enough even though I'm sure I did. Gonna have to push harder next time

If it's too easy, you could grab some 1kg weights for the boxing moves, and strap on ankle weights.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Kenpo X is not supposed to be a hard workout. Tony basically said that it's a glorified recovery day, but you can still burn a good amount of calories if you push yourself.

Kenpo X is not supposed to be a hard workout. Tony basically said that it's a glorified recovery day, but you can still burn a good amount of calories if you push yourself.

I felt like I didn't sweat enough and I had more energy, not feeling tired. Could be a fluke or a sign of progress. I was worried maybe I slacked :/

But the Kenpo does get easier as it progresses. So I dunno

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Holy shit!

Reverse grip chin-ups in Legs & Back- I did a clean 7 (with the assist thing, of course) on my first set and 4.5 on my second set, compared to 3 and 1 in Chest & Back on Saturday. I can't believe the impact after less than a week. I couldn't squeeze out more than 4 on any of the other chin-up/pull-up sets, but still. I am looking so forward to the day I can rip the pull-up assist off the bar and give it away to somebody who is just starting out.

Legs & Back has to be my favorite so far. Every time you work a muscle group to near failure, you switch to something compleeetely different that lets them rest. I did not use any weights for this this time, but this and the discussion of Kenpo X has me really considering shelling out for two sets of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007IS70U/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Seems like a good way to add some intensity to both.

Mental or not, I think my body is already starting to respond to the conditioning. And I got 33 mason twists done in Ab Ripper X this time :D

The only thing I feel like I've actually made any progress on is Ab Ripper X. I know that I'm not getting nearly enough calories though. Really struggling to do anything about that without having to drop the macronutrient ratios completely. Still, it'll be much easier in stage 2 because of the additional carb allowance.

On the bright side, the fat is pretty much falling off... but I'm definitely losing a bit too much muscle at the same time.

Neifirst

I felt like I didn't sweat enough and I had more energy, not feeling tired. Could be a fluke or a sign of progress. I was worried maybe I slacked :/

But the Kenpo does get easier as it progresses. So I dunno

For what it's worth, I replace Kenpo X with Core Synergistics or another session of Plyometrics since those two workouts keep you more active throughout. I was always bored by Kenpo and felt I really had to push myself to make the hour feel worthwhile.

tralfazz

Holy shit!

Reverse grip chin-ups in Legs & Back- I did a clean 7 (with the assist thing, of course) on my first set and 4.5 on my second set, compared to 3 and 1 in Chest & Back on Saturday. I can't believe the impact after less than a week. I couldn't squeeze out more than 4 on any of the other chin-up/pull-up sets, but still. I am looking so forward to the day I can rip the pull-up assist off the bar and give it away to somebody who is just starting out.

Legs & Back has to be my favorite so far. Every time you work a muscle group to near failure, you switch to something compleeetely different that lets them rest. I did not use any weights for this this time, but this and the discussion of Kenpo X has me really considering shelling out for two sets of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007IS70U/?tag=neogaf0e-20 Seems like a good way to add some intensity to both.

Mental or not, I think my body is already starting to respond to the conditioning. And I got 33 mason twists done in Ab Ripper X this time :D

You get an atta boy! Keep at it. You'll be suprised how quickly your body adjusts and the improvements you make. That first week of phase 2 will really boost your confidence.

Top Bottom