• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Le-mo

I know you can get a decent chest with it, but I'm talking NICE chest if you know what I mean. Not anything massive, just nice. I feel as most of my push ups are in the reps of atleast 20 (on the harder ones), it would be even better to supplement with some lower rep chest exercises such as bench press, dumbell press/fly etc. One of the things I feel p90x is lacking in.
That's why I go to the gym 3 times a week in addition to P90X/P90X2.

If you're looking for bulk there, no, it's not going to be particularly helpful.

With that said, if you're adhering to the diet, putting on bulk isn't going to be particularly easy anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Egad, Chest and Back :p I'm happy with my progress in pull-ups, but god do I suck as push-ups. It felt even tougher for me this time, maybe because I was able to work my upper body more with pull-ups, and no real improvement in any of my push-up numbers. Hoo boy, long way to go. Any push up tips? :p

I jogged to the grocery store in between that and Ab Ribber X tonight so at least I burn a couple extra calories.

Egad, Chest and Back :p I'm happy with my progress in pull-ups, but god do I suck as push-ups. It felt even tougher for me this time, maybe because I was able to work my upper body more with pull-ups, and no real improvement in any of my push-up numbers. Hoo boy, long way to go. Any push up tips? :p

I jogged to the grocery store in between that and Ab Ribber X tonight so at least I burn a couple extra calories.

Awesome job! Personally the 2nd week is the hardest because it is the real beginning of recovery and rework your muscle. I had the same experience too. You should feel stronger next week doing the same exercise

As with push ups personal experience is no real tip just try to do one more than you did last time. Try doing it without the bar if you'd like.

:)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Awesome job! Personally the 2nd week is the hardest because it is the real beginning of recovery and rework your muscle. I had the same experience too. You should feel stronger next week doing the same exercise

As with push ups personal experience is no real tip just try to do one more than you did last time. Try doing it without the bar if you'd like.

Thanks for that! Very reassuring.

I haven't been using the bar for push ups at all yet, I can't handle that much depth. I really have very little upper arm strength at this point. But "one more than last time" is good advice. I'll aim for that.

Thanks for that! Very reassuring.

I haven't been using the bar for push ups at all yet, I can't handle that much depth. I really have very little upper arm strength at this point. But "one more than last time" is good advice. I'll aim for that.

Another thing worth trying is (and I am doing this with the more difficult push ups you will encounter in phase 2) do your best, and when you can, use your knees and do the modified ones until you are out

And yea I would even say don't be surprised if everything feels more difficult this week. First one week you are introducing your body with the workout, and now this is the beginning of absorbing it and making it routine. Soreness now comes into the equation as well as diet and rest

hxa155

I know you can get a decent chest with it, but I'm talking NICE chest if you know what I mean. Not anything massive, just nice. I feel as most of my push ups are in the reps of atleast 20 (on the harder ones), it would be even better to supplement with some lower rep chest exercises such as bench press, dumbell press/fly etc. One of the things I feel p90x is lacking in.

weighted pushups are great too

my door frame was too big for the pull up bar, so I had to use resistance bands, so there wasnt a lot of improvement in that area. And yea I was going deep with the pushups.

Well done man. I can only do 40ish pushups before jelly arms. About 25 pull ups.

On a side note. To anyone using bands. If you get to the black band and find its not giving you the burn on the last 3 reps. Use 2 bands together. You can get back into the 8-10 range this way.

On the subject of push ups vs pull ups. I made it though a program of the one hundred push up challenge (I think I probably managed about 70 by the end)... yet at the time I would struggle to do more than a couple of pull ups.

Different muscle groups.

Push Ups - Chest and Tri's
Pull Ups - Shoulders and back

Pull ups are much harder than push up due to gravity trolling you.

hxa155

i really miss tony lol

shaun t is ok, but not as fun to work out with

oh and plyometric cardio circuit kicked my butt X_X...now I know why they called it Insanity

They hurt SO MUCH. It's unbelievable to me that something you can do with just your legs and no equipment can be that intense.

DEFINITELY one of the hardest things in the program for me. I've done several rounds of solo/hybrid P90X combinations, and I STILL rarely make it through the scissors without having to lower my legs at least once.

You guys have inspired me again! I've fallen off the wagon a bit with my upcoming move, so I can't wait to get back in the game. :)

i really miss tony lol

shaun t is ok, but not as fun to work out with

oh and plyometric cardio circuit kicked my butt X_X...now I know why they called it Insanity

I like Tony a lot more, but I find Shaun T and the whole Insanity crew get me to push myself much more than any of the P90X program. Even when I've been dead-ass broken, I find myself ready to "dig deeper" when I see they're as broken as I am.

Today is day 8 for me, and the last few replies have let me know what to expect for week 2, so thank you. I'm still a little concerned about today, because last week I was unable to do any pull ups because my bar wouldn't work and I hadn't figured out how to set up the bands yet, but now that I figured the bands out I won't have that excuse.

Also, push ups annihilated my triceps last week but didn't seem to affect my pecs at all, so I don't know if I'm doing them correctly.

Oh well. Into the fray!

Think I"ve settled in on how to get more vegetables in my diet. Bought a steam basket, some lemons, and big mixed bag of veggies (broccoli, carrots, cauliflower). Steamed the vegetables then squirted about 1/4 juice of one lemon on them. Topped that off with some dried basil and man, this is delicious. I don't follow the diet guides, but hopefully this puts me over the top nutrition wise.

Quick question...I bought new cliff protein bars today (crunchy peanut butter) and just realized after I ate it is that it has 10 grams of fat instead of the regular 8 per bar. That's not really a big deal, is it?

Not particularly... no. Unless you were planning on eating three or four a day anyway.

no just one per day as usual. But I really don't know anything so I rather not assume, which is how I messed up my diet when I was doing p90 lol

"hey I think I can eat a whole bag of chips every once in a while!"

Done with Day 3.

Man, Gaf, I'm in a world of hurt. PlyoX nearly killed me and my arms/back are so sore. Is there anything I can do to help alleviate the ache my entire body is experiencing right now? Everyday tasks are such a chore.

YogaX tomorrow. I've heard it's tougher than what you think it's going to be. Any advice?

Thanks for the support, fellas.

Done with Day 3.

Man, Gaf, I'm in a world of hurt. PlyoX nearly killed me and my arms/back are so sore. Is there anything I can do to help alleviate the ache my entire body is experiencing right now? Everyday tasks are such a chore.

YogaX tomorrow. I've heard it's tougher than what you think it's going to be. Any advice?

Hang in there, I found the first week the hardest because I wasn't used to any of these types of workouts. Just eat well, sleep enough, and next week it'll start making sense. My muscles were aching from the previous night's workout several times in the first week.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Done with Day 3.

Make sure you sleep a good 8 hours. And, believe it or not, Yoga will help with the soreness of your muscles....... After you finish it that's it.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
I had to postpone my workout for about two weeks due to sickness but my app refuses to go baCk to day 60, so these are my day 72 pictures. A little more definition and I hit 149 lbs from 170 when I started.

RoeFi.jpg

ymqq0.jpg

VIDOG.jpg

vVRn1.jpg

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
anyone got experience with bowflex adjustable dumbells?

I just purchased a set, but can't use em until I've moved house in 2 weeks. Really looking forward to being able to switch out weights on exercises now!

I've always liked the idea of them but they seemed so expensive... however, in the over the years since I started I've spent just as much on dumbbells (I now have 9 sets) and I know what I'd have preferred as I'm about to have to spend more on a dumbbell rack.

I had to postpone my workout for about two weeks due to sickness but my app refuses to go baCk to day 60, so these are my day 72 pictures. A little more definition and I hit 149 lbs from 170 when I started.

RoeFi.jpg

No, bad Alfarif! You're not allowed to smile like that until the day 90 pics. It's the rules. :D

lljride

Looking good Alfarif.

Did PAP Lower and PAP Upper over the weekend for the first time. My butt is STILL sore from Lower and that was 2 days ago. Upper is probably the best chest/shoulder workout in all of X2. I can't wait to do them again.

I3rand0

Looking good Alfarif.

Did PAP Lower and PAP Upper over the weekend for the first time. My butt is STILL sore from Lower and that was 2 days ago. Upper is probably the best chest/shoulder workout in all of X2. I can't wait to do them again.
Upper PAP is a good workout but I still think Chest, Back and Balance is the best workout in the program. My issue with Upper PAP is they don't give you enough time for the renegade rows. I usually can only do 6-8 during the time given.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
anyone got experience with bowflex adjustable dumbells?

I just purchased a set, but can't use em until I've moved house in 2 weeks. Really looking forward to being able to switch out weights on exercises now!

I have the 552s. They're very wide, but switching weights is pretty fast. In P90 Sculpt there's a couple places where I have to pause the video to switch, but for the most part I can keep up.

You may want to make sure you have resistance bands as well for some exercises. Wrist extensions for example -- I can't do them with the dumbbells because they are so wide, I can't keep them level, so I use resistance bands instead.

But overall I am very happy with them. I have every weight I need plus a lot more as I progress.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Maybe it's just me but I could honestly do about 100+ of these before giving out.
That is insanity. you are not human.

Done with Day 3.

I'm on Day 10 and the soreness is really already much better, less aching than last week. Plyo yesterday was still nuts, but I generally feel better than I did one week ago today. I definitely recommend massaging the targeted muscles after the workout in some way. People here swear by the foam rollers, which I'm not ready to shell out for yet. I have a handheld showerhead with a massage setting and it seems to work really nicely.

Yoga X is the hardest workout for me so far. It made me sweat so much more than I expected.The first half (moving astanas) is much more difficult, for me at least, than the balance poses in the second half, so that might help you get through it (I had no clue how it was structured when I pushed play).

I'm going to be trying the yoga from P90X2 tomorrow instead mainly because it's just so goddamn long.

Keep at it!

lljride

Upper PAP is a good workout but I still think Chest, Back and Balance is the best workout in the program. My issue with Upper PAP is they don't give you enough time for the renegade rows. I usually can only do 6-8 during the time given.

Yeah, you're right actually. I've been doing Chest+Shoulders+Tris for a few weeks and forgot how much better CB and B is for chest. Just checked the workout sheet again and I agree with you there.

How are the Roller Angels for you? It's weird, everyone looks like they're dying on that move, but to me it feels exactly the same as in warmups. Just seems out of place to me. I can't figure out if they're doing something differently or if I'm just that flexible scrawny.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
For those doing X2, are the variations for the moves that require medicine and stability balls similar to the regular pushups you do in the original P90X? Also, can you use resistance bands instead of dumbbells?

I'll be travelling soon, so I'll be without dumbbells and I plan to start X2 at the beginning of next month.

Currently restarting P90x before I hit up P90x2 this summer. I do these exercises at the gym (Chest and Back) early in the morning and have replaced dive bomber push-ups with a few bench presses and stuff. I find using assisted chin-up machines help a lot, but I was wondering if lateral pull-downs can work too?

lljride

For those doing X2, are the variations for the moves that require medicine and stability balls similar to the regular pushups you do in the original P90X? Also, can you use resistance bands instead of dumbbells?

I'll be travelling soon, so I'll be without dumbbells and I plan to start X2 at the beginning of next month.

Yep, pretty much all of the variations without balls wind up being moves from P90X. Dumbell moves are the same as before, there's always someone using bands or no weights each time.

I3rand0

Yeah, you're right actually. I've been doing Chest+Shoulders+Tris for a few weeks and forgot how much better CB and B is for chest. Just checked the workout sheet again and I agree with you there.

How are the Roller Angels for you? It's weird, everyone looks like they're dying on that move, but to me it feels exactly the same as in warmups. Just seems out of place to me. I can't figure out if they're doing something differently or if I'm just that flexible scrawny.
The Roller Angels are hit and miss for me usually. There's times when I'm dying from them and others where it's exactly like you said it feels just like the warmup all over again.

For those wondering about abs in X2 Phase 3, it's only in X2 Yoga. I'm kind of surprised they got rid of Ab Ripper after Phase 2. Seems like these would be perfect after Upper and Lower PAP.

That is insanity. you are not human.

I'm on Day 10 and the soreness is really already much better, less aching than last week. Plyo yesterday was still nuts, but I generally feel better than I did one week ago today. I definitely recommend massaging the targeted muscles after the workout in some way. People here swear by the foam rollers, which I'm not ready to shell out for yet. I have a handheld showerhead with a massage setting and it seems to work really nicely.

Yoga X is the hardest workout for me so far. It made me sweat so much more than I expected.The first half (moving astanas) is much more difficult, for me at least, than the balance poses in the second half, so that might help you get through it (I had no clue how it was structured when I pushed play).

I'm going to be trying the yoga from P90X2 tomorrow instead mainly because it's just so goddamn long.

Keep at it!

Thanks.

YogaX was straight up bananas. Maybe it's because my muscles are still incredibly sore and I'm not that flexible to begin with (I'm 6'3), but YogaX had me cursing and sweating up a storm. The last half of it was okay, but I couldn't even make into some of those poses, let alone maintain them for 30 seconds. All part of the process I suppose.

As far as the program is concerned so far, I'm really enjoying it. Tony is great and I'm excited to see my body react to the workout routine.

Top Bottom