• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Put me down for completing insanity yesterday.

Really don't know how to eat well though. Feels weird to be able to jog for so long now and practically weigh the same. I'm still over 300.

Really have to figure something out that doesn't include juice fasting. Whenever I'm done I just gain the weight back.

Stampy

Really don't know how to eat well though. Feels weird to be able to jog for so long now and practically weigh the same. I'm still over 300.

Really have to figure something out that doesn't include juice fasting. Whenever I'm done I just gain the weight back.

Eating well is really simple. For the rest of your life ban sugar (and any processed food or drink that have sugar in it), breads and other types of bakery products, and avoid food fried in oil. Just eat food or meals that are a direct product of earth and not packaged. Strictly following these simple rules you will have no problems with your diet.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Congratulations on finishing Insanity!!

As far as your weight, what do you typically eat on a given day? Have you tried tracking your diet using a tool like MyFitnessPal or LoseIt? Did you follow the Insanity meal plan?

Losing weight is more a factor of what and how much you eat than it is how much you exercise. You have to force your body to use stored fat as fuel, rather than having it just use the fuel you put into your mouth.

And that means changing what you eat, and when you eat it. I had a great deal of success eating a low carb, high fat, moderate protein diet as described in the book The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson. I would also recommend reading Good Calories, Bad Calories or Why We Get Fat by Gary Taubes, and checking out the blog marksdailyapple.com.

Think whole foods -- high quality meats (grass fed beef, free range chicken, wild caught salmon), lots of colorful vegetables and greens, a bit of fruit, and healthy minimally processed oils such as butter, ghee, coconut oil, extra virgin olive oil. Avoid /strictly limit starchy foods like beans & potatoes, all baked goods, and anything made with refined carbs such as sugar, honey, white flour, white rice, high fructose corn syrup.

Track your food, paying particular attention to carb, fat and protein intake. While you're losing weight, try to keep your carb intake averaging between 50g and 75g per day, and bias your carb intake towards the morning.

You can also try following the meal plan that comes with Insanity or whatever Beachbody program you're doing.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My issue with eating is I love food too much. So I work out to be able to eat poorly a few times a week. During the week I do very well since I'm at work, but on weekends I tend to eat out more.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Speaking of eating, if you've thought about trying Shakeology there's now a really easy way to do it. Beachbody has introduced the Shakeology Taste Sampler. This is $19.95 + shipping & handling. It includes two Chocolate, one Vanilla and one Greenberry packet, along with several recipes.

If you try it, I highly recommend using a blender (immersion blenders work best) and mixing it with crushed ice. This'll make it thicker. I always add milk -- whether it's whole milk or almond milk. The more you add, the thicker & more shake-like it becomes. Bananas are also excellent thickeners, and if you use Shakeology after your workout they help with recovery.

My favorite recipe is a variation of the "Nutty Butter" recipe: Vanilla Shakeology with ice, milk, banana, walnuts and almond butter. SO GOOD. Vanilla's a great flavor and it's very neutral so you can mix it with a wide variety of ingredients, but Chocolate is my favorite of all of them. The only time I tried Greenberry, it was mixed with a fairly green banana and that's all I've tasted :)

These are not the Vegan varieties -- I wouldn't be surprised if they release a Vegan sampler pack at a later date, but there are only two Vegan flavors (Chocolate & Tropical Strawberry) so maybe not. The only real difference between the Vegan & non-Vegan flavors is the non-Vegan flavors have whey protein, while the Vegan ones use plant proteins.

Anyway, it's a pretty good deal and a great opportunity to give Shakeology a shot.

FOOTE

I'm trying a 'new to me' preworkout called bullnox. It works really well. I got tired of Micro Jac'd 3d and C4 aaand the assault stuff. Sooo if any of you are looking for a new pre, give the bullnox a try.

Btw, I finished T25... If there's a list I'd be honored to be added. I'm in a complete bulking phase now. I really want to add about 10 pounds of muscle before I do anymore heavy cardio... which is going to take a good while.

Edit- I didn't take the other three all at once... I enjoy having my heart working.

Those pre-workout drinks give me the creeps...

I saw a dude at the gym one time with a couple of EMTs hooked up to a heart monitor and his heart rate was in the 160s at rest. He said to them he took a pre-workout shot

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm trying a 'new to me' preworkout called bullnox. It works really well. I got tired of Micro Jac'd 3d and C4 aaand the assault stuff. Sooo if any of you are looking for a new pre, give the bullnox a try.

Btw, I finished T25... If there's a list I'd be honored to be added. I'm in a complete bulking phase now. I really want to add about 10 pounds of muscle before I do anymore heavy cardio... which is going to take a good while.

Edit- I didn't take the other three all at once... I enjoy having my heart working.

Congrats! Send Deadly Cyclone a pm to get added to the list.

My wife and I have one more week of Gamma left. Still debating what to do next.

FOOTE

Those pre-workout drinks give me the creeps...

I saw a dude at the gym one time with a couple of EMTs hooked up to a heart monitor and his heart rate was in the 160s at rest. He said to them he took a pre-workout shot

Yeah, you have to be responsible with them. He was either in no condition to be taking it in the first place, or he overdosed on it. I know where you're coming from though.

Miutsu

So I thought I was progressing really well with the pushups on P90X...

* does chest/shoulders/triceps for the first time *

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUU... Feel like day -1

In phase 1 I didn't even need to use the knees to do good numbers but here its like I can barely do some of those pushups even with the knees...

In phase 1 I didn't even need to use the knees to do good numbers but here its like I can barely do some of those pushups even with the knees...
Heheh I remember when I tried to do one arm push ups without using my knees. Total fail

FOOTE

Really hard workout. Don't let it get you down.

Miutsu

Heheh I remember when I tried to do one arm push ups without using my knees. Total fail

Same for me, I know it was going to be bad but I still tried it "normal", had to switch to knees almost right away :)

Really hard workout. Don't let it get you down.

Yeah I know, thanks! this is a long road that wont end up once I finish the program so I know that I shouldn't feel too bad because I will improve over time (like I was in phase 1), it still grabbed me as a surprise even after reading earlier in the thread people that had the same reaction as me.

FOOTE

My wife & I decided we're going to do a second round of T25 Gamma Pure Strength. Starts Monday!
Beast couple. ;)

My girlfriend refuses to workout with me so I'm a little jealous. She would rather do her yoga or spinning classes at the gym or whatever. We go jogging every weekend though, so I suppose that's something.

Good luck!
How did you train for the whole thing? The event sounds tough hahaha.

Basically P90X, T25 and a bit of running (but not much).

I'm thinking my upper body strength isn't quite where it needs to be (because that is what I'm working on next, T25 just doesn't cut it for that) but the legs should get me there.

I hope.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
And that's Gamma done! So now I've gone through the entire Focus T25 workout program.

It's awesome. Gamma's TOUGH. Especially the Pure Strength schedule.

My wife & I are going to start a modified version of Pure Strength on Monday. I've substituted a couple of standalone Beta: Upper Focus workouts for Alpha: Total Body Circuit, and I worked in the Core Speed bonus workout so that it alternates with Gamma: Speed 3.0 sessions in the calendar.

Here 'tis:
gc0smz9.jpg

Miutsu

And that's Gamma done! So now I've gone through the entire Focus T25 workout program.

It's awesome. Gamma's TOUGH. Especially the Pure Strength schedule.

My wife & I are going to start a modified version of Pure Strength on Monday. I've substituted a couple of standalone Beta: Upper Focus workouts for Alpha: Total Body Circuit, and I worked in the Core Speed bonus workout so that it alternates with Gamma: Speed 3.0 sessions in the calendar.

Here 'tis:
gc0smz9.jpg

Congrats! I haven't read much about Focus T25 because of the newness of it and because I just got started with p90x and it will be a while before I start to branch out, but from the little I've read it sounds like a solid program.

---

I wanna ask a question, currently I have a problem while doing ab exercises in Ab ripper X or the ab section in Yoga X.. the problem is that I have a very hard time breathing while doing those exercises and I wonder if I'm it is that I'm not breathing correctly? Like if I try to breathe it has to be very fast and I only get a small amount of oxygen when I do it so it feels I'm doing those workouts almost holding my breath.

So, is that normal or I'm doing something wrong? I admit that sometimes I'm used to breathe with my mouth so that could be part of the problem as well when trying to breathe through the nose.

Polk

So I started T25 this week.
I'm so out of shape that I have trouble keeping up even with Tanya's modificated routine.
But hey, it's 9 weeks more so I'll get better.
Cardio & Lower Body on friday wasn't very good choice for first week. It's almost 50 minutes of working your legs. Maybe I should do one workout on friday, and one today.

Cardio & Lower Body on friday wasn't very good choice for first week. It's almost 50 minutes of working your legs. Maybe I should do one workout on friday, and one today.

I agree. I actually think it is the hardest day of the entire alpha/beta program. So if you are through that, it is all downhill from there.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I wanna ask a question, currently I have a problem while doing ab exercises in Ab ripper X or the ab section in Yoga X.. the problem is that I have a very hard time breathing while doing those exercises and I wonder if I'm it is that I'm not breathing correctly? Like if I try to breathe it has to be very fast and I only get a small amount of oxygen when I do it so it feels I'm doing those workouts almost holding my breath.

So, is that normal or I'm doing something wrong? I admit that sometimes I'm used to breathe with my mouth so that could be part of the problem as well when trying to breathe through the nose.

With ab exercises in particular, always exhale on the contraction. Nothing wrong with breathing exclusively through your mouth here.

Yoga is more complicated, as your breathing is supposed to be in synch with the moves, so it varies move by move. Watch Tony and the others. One key point he makes is to "try to find the relaxation in every pose". It sounds weird, but after a while you'll start understanding what he means. It just takes practice.

So I started T25 this week.
I'm so out of shape that I have trouble keeping up even with Tanya's modificated routine.
But hey, it's 9 weeks more so I'll get better.

Nothing wrong with splitting up the double workout days during Alpha. Shaun T encourages you to do them back to back during Beta, but in Alpha it's ok to split them if you need to.

Just got home from Tough Mudder. Got to say it wasn't as hard as I expected...but it was a lot more fun. Got through all the upper body stuff like monkey bars no problem (thanks P90X) and the distance wasn't a drama (thanks T25).

We were running around the Sydney Motorway which was pretty cool (and the 4x4 proving grounds).

Took a before and after. Got away with no real injuries besides a stubbed toe and a shitload of scrapes and bruises.

Was great fun and a great incentive to keep pressing play each day (although how I'm getting through Rip't Circuit tomorrow I have no idea). If you were ever curious, give it a go, you can probably body it.

gotoadgo

Just got home from Tough Mudder. Got to say it wasn't as hard as I expected...but it was a lot more fun. Got through all the upper body stuff like monkey bars no problem (thanks P90X) and the distance wasn't a drama (thanks T25).

We were running around the Sydney Motorway which was pretty cool (and the 4x4 proving grounds).

Took a before and after. Got away with no real injuries besides a stubbed toe and a shitload of scrapes and bruises.

Was great fun and a great incentive to keep pressing play each day (although how I'm getting through Rip't Circuit tomorrow I have no idea). If you were ever curious, give it a go, you can probably body it.
I ended up having to delay my Mudder due to injuries interrupting my training more than I wanted :( Moved to next year whenever they announce when it is. Devastated.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think I'm going to do the hybrid program that came with T-25 starting this week (I think it's P90X + T-25 if I remember right). Should give me something to do until P90X3.

Miutsu

With ab exercises in particular, always exhale on the contraction. Nothing wrong with breathing exclusively through your mouth here.

Yoga is more complicated, as your breathing is supposed to be in synch with the moves, so it varies move by move. Watch Tony and the others. One key point he makes is to "try to find the relaxation in every pose". It sounds weird, but after a while you'll start understanding what he means. It just takes practice.

Thanks for the advice, will pay more attention in yoga and try to find that very hidden for me relaxation point in those poses :)

I ended up having to delay my Mudder due to injuries interrupting my training more than I wanted :( Moved to next year whenever they announce when it is. Devastated.

Ah that sucks, but yeah not much you can do about getting hurt. You'll just be even fitter for it next time.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wasn't sure at all what to do tonight. I want a 5 day workout but just did T25. Suggestions?

So to get a workout in I did day 1 of Asylum (1). I about died. Forgot what it feels like to almost throw up because of a workout. :p

Not sure what to do though for the next month or two.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Double post, but I need suggestions here. I'm looking to lose a bit of weight, and want to do 5 workouts a week. Would it be a good idea to maybe take 10 or so of the best cardio workouts from P90X/X2/Insanity/Asylum/T25 and put them in a 2 week schedule that I repeat?

If so, what would be a good list of 10? What days to do which workouts?

Chris R

Started T25 over today, finally over what ended up being a viral/bacterial infection of my lungs :| Shit lasted over a month but I finally sucked up the $$$ and saw a doc and got it taken care of. Back on keto too as of Saturday, should be interesting to see how it works out with me actually working out.

Goal is sub 210 and as fit as I've ever been by years end. New starter pictures too since the ones I took last time shouldn't actually count as my starting spot.

Korosenai

After hurting my shoulder 9/10 weeks ago, and going to physical therapy for it, I finally started Insanity again and finished day 2 this morning. Feels good to be back.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Double post, but I need suggestions here. I'm looking to lose a bit of weight, and want to do 5 workouts a week. Would it be a good idea to maybe take 10 or so of the best cardio workouts from P90X/X2/Insanity/Asylum/T25 and put them in a 2 week schedule that I repeat?

If so, what would be a good list of 10? What days to do which workouts?

This is kind of a tough one... First of all to lose weight you're gonna just need to eat less, and focus on the "right" foods, so you might want to track macros for a while. I've found that it's easy to slowly slip back into bad habits, and firing up LoseIt! or MyFitnessPal again for a few weeks is a good trick to get back on track. You might also consider following the meal plan of one of the workouts, to take out the guesswork.

So the best cardio workouts, eh? How does this sound:
Insanity: Pure Cardio
T25: Alpha Total Body Circuit
P90X2: Plyocide
T25: Beta Speed 2.0
Asylum: Game Day

Started T25 over today, finally over what ended up being a viral/bacterial infection of my lungs :| Shit lasted over a month but I finally sucked up the $$$ and saw a doc and got it taken care of. Back on keto too as of Saturday, should be interesting to see how it works out with me actually working out.

Goal is sub 210 and as fit as I've ever been by years end. New starter pictures too since the ones I took last time shouldn't actually count as my starting spot.

After hurting my shoulder 9/10 weeks ago, and going to physical therapy for it, I finally started Insanity again and finished day 2 this morning. Feels good to be back.

Glad both of you are back at it! Injury & illness suck, and the hardest part is starting back up again. So congrats!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Insanity or T25?

What's your current fitness level?

Insanity starts out challenging and gets harder. The workouts are longer. They don't show anyone doing modifications of any of the exercises. It's a hardcore, advanced cardio workout program.

T25 is better for beginners, but is no slouch. It starts out fairly easy, and the first 5-week phase gets harder by increasing the frequency of the harder workouts as you go. The second 5-week phase is more intense and introduces strength training with dumbbells or bands, which Insanity doesn't offer. The workouts are 25 minutes each, 5 days per week, and you do two workouts on the 5th day (although you can do one of those on day 6 if necessary). There's also a stretch video you can do on day 7. In addition, there's always someone doing lower impact, lower intensity modifications of all of the moves. And there's an optional third phase you can buy separately that is more focused on strength training.

I think T25 is better for beginners and better for all-around fitness, while Insanity is better for cardio endurance.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
This is kind of a tough one... First of all to lose weight you're gonna just need to eat less, and focus on the "right" foods, so you might want to track macros for a while. I've found that it's easy to slowly slip back into bad habits, and firing up LoseIt! or MyFitnessPal again for a few weeks is a good trick to get back on track. You might also consider following the meal plan of one of the workouts, to take out the guesswork.

So the best cardio workouts, eh? How does this sound:
Insanity: Pure Cardio
T25: Alpha Total Body Circuit
P90X2: Plyocide
T25: Beta Speed 2.0
Asylum: Game Day
!

Those sound good. Here's what I was thinking...

WEEK 1:
M: Game Day
T: Plyocide
W: Yoga X2
Th: Speed 2.0
F: Kenpo X

WEEK 2:
M: Pure Cardio
T: Plyo (X1)
Th: Total Body Circuit

REPEAT

Think that looks solid? I want to get Yoga in, and Fridays are my least motivated workout days, and I like Kenpo a lot so I figure that will help keep me going.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Those sound good. Here's what I was thinking...

WEEK 1:
M: Game Day
T: Plyocide
Th: Speed 2.0

WEEK 2:
M: Pure Cardio
T: Plyo (X1)
Th: Total Body Circuit

REPEAT

Think that looks solid? I want to get Yoga in, and Fridays are my least motivated workout days, and I like Kenpo a lot so I figure that will help keep me going.

That looks pretty good... if you like Kenpo you might like some of the Les Mills Combat workouts. Combat 60 and Combat 60 Live are better & more fun than Kenpo.

Korosenai

Insanity Day 5 - Pure Cardio

"How ya feelin?"
"I wanna leave..."
"You feelin insane yet?
you wanna leave?!"

Always makes me laugh.

RMI

Banned
"I'm so tired I can't even remember the names of my moves!"

that one cracks me up. I'm doing a 4 day a week schedule with some folks from work in an empty office space. 5 weeks in or so and really enjoying it, but man are the max interval workouts tough.

Top Bottom