• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hmm... I'm really not good at Dreya Rolls. I'm afraid of rolling back to standing just in case I end up going through my living room wall so I sort of end up with my knees bent out sort of flailing to get up. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shoulders n' Arms...

Pretty decent performance today and I can tell I burned a ton. Man though... my form on some of the Ab Ripper X moves is still pathetic. My core still feels worked pretty hard so I don't mind, but I hope I start being able to pull some of the moves off more cleanly.

Is there any alternative to the pull up bar? How much of P90X uses the pull up bar anyways? I don't have one and don't have the money for one now (borrowing DVDs from brother) and would rather not skip exercises if I can find alternatives.

Resistance bands.

How does that work? Can you show me a picture or YouTube video of the exercise? I don't have the DVD's yet so I don't know if alternatives are covered on there. Thanks.

Edit: k I found out how but no idea where I'd attach the resistance band to in my basement.

hxa155

Is there any alternative to the pull up bar? How much of P90X uses the pull up bar anyways? I don't have one and don't have the money for one now (borrowing DVDs from brother) and would rather not skip exercises if I can find alternatives.

I've done all of P90X with resistance bands instead of a pull up bar, but I didn't see a lot of improvement in my back and I can't do a lot of pull ups. So if you can, try to buy one to get the most out of the workouts.

Buttons

I am using resistance bands and have gotten great results so far. A pull-up bar will of course always give better results, but for those that are unable to actually do proper pull-ups or don't have a bar, bands are an excellent start/alternative.

Just make sure you get bands with proper resistance or do the pulls far away enough from the door, so you actually feel the proper strain. :)

gcubed

so i did day 1 of insanity (ply cardio circuit) to break up my time between p90x and p90x2.

holy shit

that is all.

holy shit

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
so i did day 1 of insanity (ply cardio circuit) to break up my time between p90x and p90x2.

holy shit

that is all.

holy shit
That warmup alone obliterates anything in P90X vanilla in terms of cardio. After the first cycle through the warmup I was like "Whew! That was pretty go....OH SHIT NOT AGAIN!" and the second cycle through I was having this horrible sense of fear... "the progress bar on this cycle doesn't look high enough...I think I'm going to have to...OH FUCK THERE IT IS!" and then BAM, third cycle at double time!

So awesome. I've never sweat so much.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well since I am the OP I guess I am obligated to post picture updates on my progress with P90X2.

I am half way through the program and here are my results thus far:
Weight: 209 (down from 224)
Waist: 36 (down from 38/39).

Note on the images, I have a weird body type as is thanks to me getting my grandpa's genetics (he is overweight) and my brother getting my Dad's (my dad looks like Tony does). I think there is some improvement for sure, and my pants don't fit at all half way through, so I'll take it!

Quoting for smaller images so I don't terrify you with my flabbyness. :p

So there it is! Will update when completely done. :)

gcubed

That warmup alone obliterates anything in P90X vanilla in terms of cardio. After the first cycle through the warmup I was like "Whew! That was pretty go....OH SHIT NOT AGAIN!" and the second cycle through I was having this horrible sense of fear... "the progress bar on this cycle doesn't look high enough...I think I'm going to have to...OH FUCK THERE IT IS!" and then BAM, third cycle at double time!

So awesome. I've never sweat so much.

agreed, i mean i'm only a little over a week removed from p90x and i was sweating buckets. It does make me feel better that the people on the tape are dying too unlike in P90X. That being said I have all kinds of respect for Shaun. He doesn't stop nearly as much as Tony does and talks the entire way through the workout. I couldnt even catch my breath enough to take a drink at some points and he's STILL talking.

Garryk

I definitely think that doing ARX before the workout is the way to go. I can keep up with them until Fifer Scissors if I do it before. Actually I can do everything but fifer scissors....that's not true. I have to skip some of the pulse-ups and I have to drop my legs during the twists a couple of times. But if I do it after a workout I get real toasty during bicycles.

Doing the first recovery week right now and I've lost a little over 10 pounds. Using a different notch on the belt and it feels gud.

The only problem with doing it first is that you should really add a bit of a core warmup beforehand. But yeah, on the whole I much prefer to do it before than after. I can usually barely face it after.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have done individual Insanity workouts here and there and about died each time. I do like how half of the group doing it with him peel off at random times.

I may try to do the whole thing eventually. When it gets warm I am back on Couch to 5K though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I definitely think that doing ARX before the workout is the way to go. I can keep up with them until Fifer Scissors if I do it before. Actually I can do everything but fifer scissors....that's not true. I have to skip some of the pulse-ups and I have to drop my legs during the twists a couple of times. But if I do it after a workout I get real toasty during bicycles.

Doing the first recovery week right now and I've lost a little over 10 pounds. Using a different notch on the belt and it feels gud.
Interesting, hadn't even considered that.

That reminds me, I am mentally incapable of doing backwards bicycles. No matter how much I try I just cannot will myself to do it. I just do double forward bicycles. What is up with that?

Garryk

Interesting, hadn't even considered that.

That reminds me, I am mentally incapable of doing backwards bicycles. No matter how much I try I just cannot will myself to do it. I just do double forward bicycles. What is up with that?
They do feel awkward, but I'm not the most coordinated person. I have a big mental block with whacky jacks
because they're whacky.

GCNemesis

For those that are interested in P90X/2 or Insanity and want to try an abbreviated version of each, check out these videos from when Tony and Shaun were on Dr.Oz:

These are good trial runs for anyone interested or good supplemental exercises for those that want to do a little more. I have added the 15 minute Insanity workout to my lunch break to supplement my P90X2 routine. For those that haven't done Insanity or haven't done it in a while like me, prepare to sweat :p

Picture update

Nice progress, keep it up!

ocadman

It's been 4 days since I've done Legs & Back and I'm still sore and can't walk right. Plyo is not going to be fun tonight.

Also had a question, is it bad to do Ab Ripper everyday?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For those that are interested in P90X/2 or Insanity and want to try an abbreviated version of each, check out these videos from when Tony and Shaun were on Dr.Oz:

These are good trial runs for anyone interested or good supplemental exercises for those that want to do a little more. I have added the 15 minute Insanity workout to my lunch break to supplement my P90X2 routine. For those that haven't done Insanity or haven't done it in a while like me, prepare to sweat :p

Nice progress, keep it up!

Ha, Tony worked Abrinome into the workout. Hate those. :p

But it's really not that long...if you do a regular resistance workout and Ab ripper thats 1 hour and 15 minutes, provided you take minimum breaks. Otherwise you hit 1 hr 1/2 mark easily

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But it's really not that long...if you do a regular resistance workout and Ab ripper thats 1 hour and 15 minutes, provided you take minimum breaks. Otherwise you hit 1 hr 1/2 mark easily
Haha, right... and if you take no added breaks it's a Max of 1:17 no matter which workout you're doing, and if you do take breaks during Yoga you can easily hit 2 hours...

It's long!

Haha, right... and if you take no added breaks it's a Max of 1:17 no matter which workout you're doing, and if you do take breaks during Yoga you can easily hit 2 hours...

It's long!

I'm just speaking for myself. I take added breaks and some moves I don't do as fast as they do. 1 1/2 hr is easy to break, and a lot of times I take longer than that. Whereas yoga you just need to follow the video and practice your forms. The only time I take short breaks in yoga is the yoga belly 7 part.

I know a lot of people feel the same way you do, which is probably why they changed the length - but that's a major component of yoga and equalivent of other mental blocks we encounter in other workouts.

I still hold the opinion that a lot is missed to simply skip like that. Sorry if I sound preachy

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah, X2 yoga is miles better. It's 67 minutes but doesn't feel long at all. P90X yoga felt endless.

My plan eventually will be to do a P90X/X2 mixed program.

At least you're still doing it. I still have faith, you'll learn to love it eventually!
NEVER!

In fairness, it wasn't so bad tonight... but I think it was because I planned to cut it into two halves. I didn't in the end because my food hadn't quite finished (slow) cooking, but psychologically I think it helped.

"Why would you write it down? Because you need a reference point right? So, it's like you eat something and it taste like crap and you say, 'don't eat that again'. So you write it down and you say to yourself, 'oh ya don't do that again'.

That was the worst analogy in the world."

-Tony Horton

I love this guy

"Why would you write it down? Because you need a reference point right? So, it's like you eat something and it taste like crap and you say, 'don't eat that again'. So you write it down and you say to yourself, 'oh ya don't do that again'.

That was the worst analogy in the world."

-Tony Horton

I love this guy

Me too! Nowadays, the more silly/lame he is, the more I admire him

Question for everyone: when or with what did you first realize you are making strides in the program? For me it's probably doing Ab Ripper where at first I had trouble getting myself up and touching my toes and being able to breathe now through resistance now

Beezy

Did anyone make it all the way through the plyo workout the very first time they did it? I got through about the first 35 mins and now my legs feel like they're stuck in concrete. I cannot finish this workout. At least not this week.

Did anyone make it all the way through the plyo workout the very first time they did it? I got through about the first 35 mins and now my legs feel like they're stuck in concrete. I cannot finish this workout. At least not this week.

That's totally fine! I mean that. The more you keep at it the more improvement you will see as long as you push yourself

I did make it through the first time but on some moves I did have to get out of in the middle, it also helped that I did p90 right before I started p90x

Top Bottom