• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

hxa155

I miss doing Yoga. Insanity does have some yoga stretches but nothing like Yoga X. I think I'm gonna either do Yoga X or X2 Yoga on my recovery day.

haha, 3 months ago, I hated yoga with passion :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
X2 Yoga was superior in every way for me. Loved the pace. And holy shit those yogi bicycles. Feels like a more effective move than anything in Ab Ribber X.

X2 Yoga was superior in every way for me. Loved the pace. And holy shit those yogi bicycles. Feels like a more effective move than anything in Ab Ribber X.

Glad you liked it. I did a quick google on beachbody's forum and that seems to be the general consensus as well - more effective, faster, and more burn

deviant1

Did Core Synergistics for the first time last night and damn I was not expecting it to be that rough. Those lunges with the weighted kickbacks, curl, and press absolutely destroyed me.

I need to get X2 Yoga and switch it up with X Yoga.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Did anyone make it all the way through the plyo workout the very first time they did it? I got through about the first 35 mins and now my legs feel like they're stuck in concrete. I cannot finish this workout. At least not this week.
I maaaaade it, but I was totally wrecked, and I couldn't keep up with every move by any stretch of the imagination. Really intense workout.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Ab Ripper X2 seems to do more for me than in X1. Although a few of the moves I really like hurt my back more than my abs, so I am not sure if I am doing them 100% right.

Abrinome (I do it with bent legs) and the twists are by far the most effective. My abs kill after those.

Ab Ripper X2 seems to do more for me than in X1. Although a few of the moves I really like hurt my back more than my abs, so I am not sure if I am doing them 100% right.

Abrinome (I do it with bent legs) and the twists are by far the most effective. My abs kill after those.

My lower back aches off one or two moves from abs. Just foam roll your lower back after it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Those were in X2 yoga. My back hurts too. :p

Caerith

Well, P90-GAF, after a few fizzled attempts at this in the past, I am making a serious go at finishing P90X and am on Day 3 tomorrow. Day 1 I did ARX first then Chest & Back all the way through, doing the best I could and wasn't too sore today. But with Day 2 and Plyo... my legs gave me the finger about halfway through.

For those who struggled with Plyometrics their first time, what's the best way to proceed? Do you replace it with a different exercise or do you just stick with it until you can get all the way through?

Well, P90-GAF, after a few fizzled attempts at this in the past, I am making a serious go at finishing P90X and am on Day 3 tomorrow. Day 1 I did ARX first then Chest & Back all the way through, doing the best I could and wasn't too sore today. But with Day 2 and Plyo... my legs gave me the finger about halfway through.

For those who struggled with Plyometrics their first time, what's the best way to proceed? Do you replace it with a different exercise or do you just stick with it until you can get all the way through?

You could always do Cardio X! Only you know your body the best though. If you are really hurting and struggling it is perhaps good to start with the Cardio first, since you need to do Yoga and Legs and Back back-to-back. But good job at starting!

You're supposed to struggle with plyo at first. :p

Stick with it, and take breaks/modify when you need to. The first time I did it I got pooped halfway through, now I can make it almost all the way without slowing down.

Ill Saint

Do each exercise for 15 or 20 seconds instead of 30. Try and add an extra 5 seconds the following week, then the full 30 the week after. Take breaks if you need to.

hxa155

Instead of doing a move for 30 seconds every time, try to make it only 15 or 20 seconds and take the rest as break. Then every time you do Plyo, try to take less and less breaks. By the end of P90X, you'll be able to keep up with the folks in the video (well, maybe not Dom lol).

EDIT: ^^haha, beaten :p

FOOTE

No. Do not replace it. Do what you can and you will get stronger as you go though the program. You're not going to be able to keep up with the people on the videos for a while, that's why Tony is constantly saying to modify if you need and to just keep pressing play. Listen to the man's advice when you're doing the workouts, he kinda knows what he's talking about. STICK WITH IT!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oooh holy crap. I slept from almost right when I got home last night at 6:00ish PM til 7:30AM. Man I must have been some unholy kind of exhausted. Damn! My first missed day.

Luckily I am working from home today so I can get some exercise in during the breaks. I'm gonna do both workouts today (gonna do Kenpo X nowish for some cardio, then the resistance workout in the evening similar to the Doubles schedule). And maybe tomorrow, my rest day, I'll do Cardio X instead of nothing.

Anybody have any general tips on what to do when you miss a day? Seriously can't believe how long I slept.

I don't post much but I really need help here, GAF. I just finished week one and I'm up a pound. I had to put my dog to sleep last night and that pound on the scale has really demotivated me. I've had good success with p90x before and I know not to rely on the scale but jesus I needed a little good news.

I'm down to 213 from 247 a year ago.

lljride

Anybody have any general tips on what to do when you miss a day? Seriously can't believe how long I slept.

Honestly it's not a huge deal either way. You can either do the workout you missed the next day (pushing your schedule back a day), or keep your schedule and just skip that one workout for the week.

For me it would depend on which workout it was. I wouldn't want to lose my resistance workouts (chest & back, etc), but if it's something like Kenpo fuck it. Just try not to get in the habit of skipped days obviously, because that can be hard to break.

I don't post much but I really need help here, GAF. I just finished week one and I'm up a pound. I had to put my dog to sleep last night and that pound on the scale has really demotivated me. I've had good success with p90x before and I know not to rely on the scale but jesus I needed a little good news.

Sorry about your loss man, I have two dogs myself and the day they go I'm going to be wrecked.

Sounds like you already know the answer here, but a pound is nothing. At worst it's a normal weight fluctuation, but it's just as likely a pound of muscle, which will help you burn more fat in the long run anyway. Hang in there dude, great progress so far.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Honestly it's not a huge deal either way. You can either do the workout you missed the next day (pushing your schedule back a day), or keep your schedule and just skip that one workout for the week.

For me it would depend on which workout it was. I wouldn't want to lose my resistance workouts (chest & back, etc), but if it's something like Kenpo fuck it. Just try not to get in the habit of skipped days obviously, because that can be hard to break.
Thanks for this. It was one of the resistance workouts, but today is Kenpo- I'm just gonna do both today doubles-style. :p I feel so shitty about it I doubt I'll get into the habit of missed days anyway.

Sorry about your loss man, I have two dogs myself and the day they go I'm going to be wrecked.

Sounds like you already know the answer here, but a pound is nothing. At worst it's a normal weight fluctuation, but it's just as likely a pound of muscle, which will help you burn more fat in the long run anyway. Hang in there dude, great progress so far.
My condolences as well LowKeyedUp. Like he said, do not fret at all over single pounds. You could be down from that by the end of the day. Just keep at it- you obviously know what to do at 247 to 213 is no easy feat. Don't despair, just keep bringing it. Check in at this thread more often!

Bollocks

anybody here done insanity?
I started it this week and my legs have been sore ever since, especially my calfs, my arms aren't that much of a problem, though at the end of yesterdays workout while doing push ups my arms started shaking whenever I went down, insane.

GCNemesis

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63TOxZU-Tfo

Not that you can really see him that well... but that's 1993. :)

Mind. Blown. Seeing him in a cop outfit and keeping in the vein of 90s action flicks, imagine what it would've been like if he was T-1000 in Terminator 2. Haha oh the gifs that would provide.

My condolences on your loss. I too know the sorrow and feeling of emptiness that comes with passing of a loved pet. You've made great progress over the past year and a pound is nothing. The body is like a roller coaster, your weight will fluctuate like that. This past week, I've gone up two pounds and then back down. Frustrating, but know that it is normal and your progress will eventually continue. Just keep pushing through and hang in there, it'll get better.

I started it this week and my legs have been sore ever since, especially my calfs, my arms aren't that much of a problem, though at the end of yesterdays workout while doing push ups my arms started shaking whenever I went down, insane.

Yeah, Insanity is... insane. One thing I learned after doing Insanity was to spend (a lot of) extra time stretching before and afterwards. Your muscles are going to be pushed to the limits and by only doing the stretches Shaun T provides, you may find that your muscles will still tighten up and then you'll become sore.

If you have P90X2 or can find stuff on Neuro-Integrated stretching (Loose example of NIS) and/or foam rolling, I think that will greatly help. I'm really looking forward to doing Insanity again now that I have these tools to assist me with, I hope to feel a lot less sore.

hxa155

I just finished the first week. Level 1 drills followed by Ski-abs then In and Outs burn my shoulders so much lol, even though I think doing pushups is my strong point. But surprisingly, I don't feel sore at all, just a little pain in my shins but that's about it.

edit:
oh and make sure u stretch the calves before and after the workouts..

Worked all night last night and then did my Kenpo workout at 5am (that I should have done the night before)... did surprisingly well considering.

Glad it wasn't plyo. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Worked all night last night and then did my Kenpo workout at 5am (that I should have done the night before)... did surprisingly well considering.

Glad it wasn't plyo. :D
So today's your rest day normally? You're one day ahead of me hehe.

Assuming you're on Phase 1, that is

No, I'm actually on the recovery week.

I slept for four hours this afternoon and I think I've got Yoga (/vomits) in a couple of hours.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
For those on P90X2 and have done or started Phase 3, what exactly is P.A.P. Upper and lower?

I see the schedule changes a bit too with a break day on Thursday and Yoga on Wednesday, interesting.

Bollocks

Yeah, Insanity is... insane. One thing I learned after doing Insanity was to spend (a lot of) extra time stretching before and afterwards. Your muscles are going to be pushed to the limits and by only doing the stretches Shaun T provides, you may find that your muscles will still tighten up and then you'll become sore.

If you have P90X2 or can find stuff on Neuro-Integrated stretching (Loose example of NIS) and/or foam rolling, I think that will greatly help. I'm really looking forward to doing Insanity again now that I have these tools to assist me with, I hope to feel a lot less sore.

thx
I too felt that the stretching was far too short and actually for what it is far too intense for what I normally consider a warm up.

I also bought some power bars and some powder today, let's see if this helps regarding the soreness. I think by the end of the week my body will have adapted itself, so it will not be a problem anymore.

lljride

For those on P90X2 and have done or started Phase 3, what exactly is P.A.P. Upper and lower?

I see the schedule changes a bit too with a break day on Thursday and Yoga on Wednesday, interesting.

PAP is a killer. There's 2 sets of 4 moves, each set is repeated 4 times . The moves go Power (ex 1 leg squats)/Explosive (ex one leg line hops)/Explosive/Isometric (ex superman). All 16 moves of a set are done with no breaks in between, which is freaking HARD. Upper and Lower follow the same P/E/E/I x 4 format.

I guess there's a science behind the sequence of moves. Steve Edwards talks about it a little more here.

It's got some...interesting warm up moves also. Collette doing Fire Hydrants is pretty awesome, not gonna lie.

Finished my first week of p90x.

I'm feeling pretty good. Kenpo was a lot more challenging than I thought it'd be, but I had more fun with it than I did plyometrics.

One thing I am rather concerned about is that I gained eight pounds in seven days. When I started last week I was at 158, and I'm sitting at 166 right now. Historically, I've never really been able to gain weight like that. Should I be worried? I haven't really changed my eating habits. I've simply been consuming more protein and fewer processed foods.

That doesn't sound right. I'd suggest writing down exactly what you're eating, if only temporarily. You're not going to be able to put on 8lbs of muscle in a week so it sounds to me like you might be going overboard on the calories.

Sure your scales aren't broken or something. ;)

Caerith

Thanks everyone for the advice on Plyo. I'll definitely pace myself on it going forward. Looking forward to Shoulders and Arms tonight.

That doesn't sound right. I'd suggest writing down exactly what you're eating, if only temporarily. You're not going to be able to put on 8lbs of muscle in a week so it sounds to me like you might be going overboard on the calories.

Sure your scales aren't broken or something. ;)

That's the thing. I'm 6'3 so I've always been a rail and gaining weight has always been kind of a problem since my metabolism is crazy fast.

It's nice to think I'll be able to fill out a little bit with this program, but I wasn't expecting to gain eight pounds in my first week.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hoooo boy. I earned my rest day tomorrow :p

Kenpo X and Legs + Back was a pretty intense combo for the same day as it turns out. Oh well, feels good. Actually, these two in succession made me even more sure that some of these would be worthwhile to add some intensity: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007IS70U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Aanyway, i'm shaky all over :D

I'm feeling pretty good. Kenpo was a lot more challenging than I thought it'd be, but I had more fun with it than I did plyometrics.

One thing I am rather concerned about is that I gained eight pounds in seven days. When I started last week I was at 158, and I'm sitting at 166 right now. Historically, I've never really been able to gain weight like that. Should I be worried? I haven't really changed my eating habits. I've simply been consuming more protein and fewer processed foods.
What is your diet consisting of mainly? Give some examples- if you had a carb heavy diet to begin with and you've been adding substantial protein to that, it could be the culprit.

Also, have you been weighing yourself at the same time and circumstances every day?

Random question, does anyone else struggle with the supposed "relaxing" stretches like childs pose? As soon as I try to sit back on my heels my ankles feel like they're just flat out bending into a place they really shouldn't be.

I tested it out with a few people and all of them are able to have the top of their foot flat on the floor and their ankle and shin flat on the floor at the same time too. When I try it, it seems like my foot tenses up and I have a gap under the top of my ankle / bottom of my shin.

It's really, really uncomfortable. It basically means that I struggle with a whole sequence of moves in Stretch-X and that "Back Hero" is pretty much impossible. I'm very flexible everywhere else and I'm finding it quite frustrating that I can't sit / bend that way. :(

tralfazz

I wouldn't worry about it. Happened to me the first week or two the first time. Your body is adjusting. Give it time.

Got myself a power tower (basically a pull-up station). Soooo worth it.

I was doing an exercise with heavy dumbbells in place of pullups during P90X, and the door attachment bar I picked up didn't fit, so I figured I'd just get a proper setup.

Wow, what I've been missing. This shit is hard. Looking forward to doing proper pullups/chinups from here on out.

It's funny how things can change from week to week. Last week I felt great doing triceps/shoulder, and just now I feel no strength in my arms and couldn't believe some of my numbers from last week. Maybe it's growth or just a shityy day from stress. But shit

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Random question, does anyone else struggle with the supposed "relaxing" stretches like childs pose? As soon as I try to sit back on my heels my ankles feel like they're just flat out bending into a place they really shouldn't be.

I tested it out with a few people and all of them are able to have the top of their foot flat on the floor and their ankle and shin flat on the floor at the same time too. When I try it, it seems like my foot tenses up and I have a gap under the top of my ankle / bottom of my shin.

It's really, really uncomfortable. It basically means that I struggle with a whole sequence of moves in Stretch-X and that "Back Hero" is pretty much impossible. I'm very flexible everywhere else and I'm finding it quite frustrating that I can't sit / bend that way. :(
Well not everyone is flexible in the same ways. Those stretches are very easy for me as are things like Cobbler pose, but I can't touch my toes from standing at all.

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with me though. I literally can't find anyone (who isn't geriatric) who can't sit back on their heels.

I've been trying to persuade them to bend more for the last month and nothing. It's pissing me off. :(

GCNemesis

Got myself a power tower (basically a pull-up station). Soooo worth it.

I was doing an exercise with heavy dumbbells in place of pullups during P90X, and the door attachment bar I picked up didn't fit, so I figured I'd just get a proper setup.

Wow, what I've been missing. This shit is hard. Looking forward to doing proper pullups/chinups from here on out.

I've been interested in getting one, but I don't think I have enough clearance in my basement. Which tower did you go with? How much room do you have in the room that you are using it?

I'm starting to think there's something wrong with me though. I literally can't find anyone (who isn't geriatric) who can't sit back on their heels.

I've been trying to persuade them to bend more for the last month and nothing. It's pissing me off. :(

I can't sit completely on my heels either, but I've noticed it's been getting better finally (7 weeks in). I would say just keep it up, your hips and ankles will become more flexible with time.

Garryk

I can't keep my whole foot on the ground during the Kenpo warmups. During my second go-around I was able to do the Achilles stretches flat-footed, but once the leg extensions come into play I'm back up on my toes.

I can't sit completely on my heels either, but I've noticed it's been getting better finally (7 weeks in). I would say just keep it up, your hips and ankles will become more flexible with time.
I hope something happens soon, because I feel like I might as well just switch those bits for something else as it stands.

I can't keep my whole foot on the ground during the Kenpo warmups. During my second go-around I was able to do the Achilles stretches flat-footed, but once the leg extensions come into play I'm back up on my toes.
Not sure I know those ones. I don't think we're talking about the same sort of foot movement though.

On the child pose / other resting on heels poses my feet / ankles / shins basically look like this (ignore the rest of her body):

shutterstock_89035666.jpg

Which is agony. As far as I can see on most people, there's not supposed to be that gap there... it's all supposed to be flat-ish like this:

uR4W2.jpg

Garryk

My bad. I've trained my body to do that from years of leaning back on my feet while playing video games. But isn't the purpose of Child's Pose to stretch out your sides and abs? I think getting the proper reach with your hands is more important than having the tops of your feet flat on the floor. Same with Cobra/Upward Dog.

But isn't the purpose of Child's Pose to stretch out your sides and abs? I think getting the proper reach with your hands is more important than having the tops of your feet flat on the floor. Same with Cobra/Upward Dog.
Sure, but childs pose is just the most recognisable pose with that leg position. My problem is mostly with ones like back hero... where I literally can't lean back enough to get any sort of stretch, at least not without some quantity of morphine. :D

I've been interested in getting one, but I don't think I have enough clearance in my basement. Which tower did you go with? How much room do you have in the room that you are using it?

Hey, I'll measure the height tonight when I get home. I'm in Canada so I didn't have a lot of choices, so I just picked one up at Walmart.

Top Bottom