• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Need help with nutrition guide please.

I've calculated that I am level 1 and it says to eat 1800 calories a day. Is that for the whole 3 months?

Also, Phase 1 for level 1 people says to eat: 5 servings of protein, 2 dairy, 1 fruit, 2 veggies, 1 fats, 1 carbs, 3 snacks and 1 condiments but this only equals 1610 calories a day (going by their serving sizes). So, whats the deal? Am I eating 1610 or 1800? Phase 2 and phase 3 don't add up to 1800 calories either but it's about 1750 calories a day. I suck at eating properly I'm 139 lbs and I am not active other than walking to bus stop to go to school and I'm sedentary and studying the rest of my time.

Can someone explain this to me because I don't know how to eat properly in order to gain muscle. I'm used to eating either too little or too much.

I've been interested in getting one, but I don't think I have enough clearance in my basement. Which tower did you go with? How much room do you have in the room that you are using it?

I can't sit completely on my heels either, but I've noticed it's been getting better finally (7 weeks in). I would say just keep it up, your hips and ankles will become more flexible with time.

I'm 5'9", the lowest I would use the tower at is approximately 6'7". It then goes up by increments of 4.5". I will probably bump it up after I get used to it and am sure it's sturdy enough.

Also, Phase 1 for level 1 people says to eat: 5 servings of protein, 2 dairy, 1 fruit, 2 veggies, 1 fats, 1 carbs, 3 snacks and 1 condiments but this only equals 1610 calories a day (going by their serving sizes). So, whats the deal? Am I eating 1610 or 1800?
It doesn't really work that way to be honest, in reality you could eat two items which on the pack said that they've got 150kcal in them, but in reality one could have 120kcal and the other could have 180kcal.

I tried calculating an actual menu with real food based on their portions and I ended up no-where near their results. Same goes for their example recipes. When I noted down what actually went into them when I made them they weren't even close nutritionally.

But there's a point here... it's not the end of the world. As long as you're roughly in the right range, you'll be fine. You simply can't accurately work out what you're eating to that degree unless you want to get everything in pill and powder form. As long as you're in the right range, and keeping track of what you're eating, it'll be fine. A few hundred kcal either way wont hurt you, and if you find you're not losing fat / weight, all you have to do is make some small modifications.

Oh, and yes, as best I can tell your initial calorie target counts for the entire program. Also, P90X is more about getting fit and losing fat rather than gaining weight / muscle. If that's what you want, there may be better options (like Starting Strength, which is discussed in the fitness thread). Though I guess P90X could work if you went significantly higher with the calorie intake (it's not ideal).

It doesn't really work that way to be honest, in reality you could eat two items which on the pack said that they've got 150kcal in them, but in reality one could have 120kcal and the other could have 180kcal.

I tried calculating an actual menu with real food based on their portions and I ended up no-where near their results. Same goes for their example recipes. When I noted down what actually went into them when I made them they weren't even close nutritionally.

But there's a point here... it's not the end of the world. As long as you're roughly in the right range, you'll be fine. You simply can't accurately work out what you're eating to that degree unless you want to get everything in pill and powder form. As long as you're in the right range, and keeping track of what you're eating, it'll be fine. A few hundred kcal either way wont hurt you, and if you find you're not losing fat / weight, all you have to do is make some small modifications.

Oh, and yes, as best I can tell your initial calorie target counts for the entire program. Also, P90X is more about getting fit and losing fat rather than gaining weight / muscle. If that's what you want, there may be better options (like Starting Strength, which is discussed in the fitness thread).

Thanks man. Yeah, I think your right that as long as I'm in the general ballpark in terms of daily calories that I'll be okay.

To be honest I'm not sure why I chose P90X. I am kind of skinny-fat at the moment and I can't afford to drop much at all in terms of weight (5'8, 139). I just wanna lower my body fat % and in the process put on a bit of muscle. I can't afford a gym membership and I need a regimented program like P90X that I can just follow what's on screen an hour a day and be done with it. I don't understand 90% of what's said in the fitness thread. I know nothing about strength training. Yea, I need to be babied with everything clearly explained and labelled for me. Just how I am. I've seen people make some pretty decent strength gains on this program but I don't want or expect a 6 pack here. My stomach is already flat but I'm soft all over and just want to tighten up a bit. I think I honestly just need to get my butt moving because like I mentioned before I am fairly sedentary. I swim and jog in warmer months but I don't move much in winter. I think I'll probably make some big noobie gains even if P90X isn't so much strength focused because I've never lifted weights in like ever.

Edit: One more question about the recovery drink. I can't afford supplements nor do I really want to take any so I'm wondering on the alternatives to purchasing the actual P90X recovery drink or any protein powders. I'm not a bodybuilder I just don't want to hinder my progress in anyway so is low fat chocolate milk a decent substitute? I'm seeing mixed opinions of this online. Some say to add L-glutamine and some creatine and that is very similar to the P90X branded recovery drink. What if I don't add that and just drink the chocolate milk by itself? Having that 4-1 carb/protein ratio is most important. Thoughts? Oh, and this recovery drink is not part of my 1800 calories a day/servings of protein,carbs,fats, etc right?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The recovery drink is actually part of your 1800 calories a day. The drink is about 200 calories of that amount.

I'd suggest to buy some Syntha 6 protein from Amazon. 3 pounds of that thing cost like $25, and it could last you up to 3 weeks. Is not really that expensive. Another alternative to this could be low fat milk, good carbs like berries, and egg whites.

FOOTE

i am going to start p90 on mon...

should i be afraid

Afraid? No man. Be excited! You're going to do great! Stick with it if you struggle at first (and by that I mean even a month into it or more). You WILL see the changes in the mirror and you WILL get stronger if you follow the plan and push hard every workout. Good Luck!

Bearthgar

Banned
Thanks man. Yeah, I think your right that as long as I'm in the general ballpark in terms of daily calories that I'll be okay.

To be honest I'm not sure why I chose P90X. I am kind of skinny-fat at the moment and I can't afford to drop much at all in terms of weight (5'8, 139). I just wanna lower my body fat % and in the process put on a bit of muscle. I can't afford a gym membership and I need a regimented program like P90X that I can just follow what's on screen an hour a day and be done with it. I don't understand 90% of what's said in the fitness thread. I know nothing about strength training. Yea, I need to be babied with everything clearly explained and labelled for me. Just how I am. I've seen people make some pretty decent strength gains on this program but I don't want or expect a 6 pack here. My stomach is already flat but I'm soft all over and just want to tighten up a bit. I think I honestly just need to get my butt moving because like I mentioned before I am fairly sedentary. I swim and jog in warmer months but I don't move much in winter. I think I'll probably make some big noobie gains even if P90X isn't so much strength focused because I've never lifted weights in like ever.

Edit: One more question about the recovery drink. I can't afford supplements nor do I really want to take any so I'm wondering on the alternatives to purchasing the actual P90X recovery drink or any protein powders. I'm not a bodybuilder I just don't want to hinder my progress in anyway so is low fat chocolate milk a decent substitute? I'm seeing mixed opinions of this online. Some say to add L-glutamine and some creatine and that is very similar to the P90X branded recovery drink. What if I don't add that and just drink the chocolate milk by itself? Having that 4-1 carb/protein ratio is most important. Thoughts? Oh, and this recovery drink is not part of my 1800 calories a day/servings of protein,carbs,fats, etc right?

Just be sure to eat A LOT. I started P90X at 5'10 141 lbs and have always had a tough time putting on weight. Whenever I get into working out I usually bulk up to around 150, but laziness drops me down to 140 over time.

There was a time that I was drinking a gallon of milk a day to try and bulk up while doing 5/3/1. My lifts went up greatly, but I was miserable and only bulked up to around 155.

Now I'm about to start phase 3 of P90x and I weigh a ripped 148 lbs and everyone thinks I'm the biggest I've ever been. Gaining any weight on the routine is tough because you burn so many calories, but just be sure to eat more to counter balance it. The main thing I tried to focus on was eating at least 600 calories more a day(even on recovery days) and eat a ton of protein. Protein shake with breakfast, protein bar on the way home from work, recovery drink post workout, etc.

Neifirst

Just be sure to eat A LOT. I started P90X at 5'10 141 lbs and have always had a tough time putting on weight. Whenever I get into working out I usually bulk up to around 150, but laziness drops me down to 140 over time.

There was a time that I was drinking a gallon of milk a day to try and bulk up while doing 5/3/1. My lifts went up greatly, but I was miserable and only bulked up to around 155.

Now I'm about to start phase 3 of P90x and I weigh a ripped 148 lbs and everyone thinks I'm the biggest I've ever been. Gaining any weight on the routine is tough because you burn so many calories, but just be sure to eat more to counter balance it. The main thing I tried to focus on was eating at least 600 calories more a day(even on recovery days) and eat a ton of protein. Protein shake with breakfast, protein bar on the way home from work, recovery drink post workout, etc.

I'm almost the same measurements (5'11'' @ 143 lbs) and currently going through my second round of P90X. I tightened up considerably after the first round, and now am trying to put on some weight too. I ordinarily average around 1800 calories per day, so just in the last week I started making extra protein drinks to get up to 2400, but I feel like I'm force-feeding myself a bit. How many calories do you estimate you've been averaging to get to 148lbs? Thanks for any advice!

I work out in the basement (concrete floors), so I use a simple thin rug, 6x9' I think, and it works fine. (edit: i wear shoes, of course..)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lol, yeah, do it on a mat. Your yoga mat should be fine!

Normally I do it on carpet. But I'm housesitting and I went for it on bamboo. My joints :O

GCNemesis

I'm 5'9", the lowest I would use the tower at is approximately 6'7". It then goes up by increments of 4.5". I will probably bump it up after I get used to it and am sure it's sturdy enough.

Thanks for measuring, much appreciated!

I do this [plyo on wood floor] every time. What might be a better alternative?

I do all my exercises on my concrete basement floor with "springy" shoes. I also have a thin, yoga mat that I use for jumping moves for sound damping and slightly softer landings.

Starting Phase 2 today. Clocked in at 224 this morning. Started at 236.

Awesome progress, keep it up!

Yoga mat seems really impractical for the plyo exercises. Most of them take up a lot of floor space and go in different directions.

I'm just nitpicking though. I think I'm fine with the wood floor

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yoga mat seems really impractical for the plyo exercises. Most of them take up a lot of floor space and go in different directions.

I'm just nitpicking though. I think I'm fine with the wood floor
Aye, I should have clarified, if you've got good shock-absorbing shoes then it won't matter much. I, however, did not
KuGsj.gif

Looking really forward to my workout tonight nonetheless.

Way to go, man. 12 lbs in a month is awesome!

Garryk

I have the Reebok Zigs. They are pretty fugly but I only wear them for workouts. VERY cushiony. Haven't had any knee or ankle problems from all the jumping around.

lljride

8 days left in P90X2, not that I'm counting or anything :p. Taking a rest day on Wednesday, then I'm going to try 6 days of back to back (no rest/Yoga) to finish it out. Figure I can rest when I'm done.

Nice! That's about what I weighed when I started P90X the first time. Phase 2 was when I really started seeing results and shedding major lbs, so hopefully you'll continue to see the same. Doing great so far.

8 days left in P90X2, not that I'm counting or anything :p. Taking a rest day on Wednesday, then I'm going to try 6 days of back to back (no rest/Yoga) to finish it out. Figure I can rest when I'm done.

Nice! That's about what I weighed when I started P90X the first time. Phase 2 was when I really started seeing results and shedding major lbs, so hopefully you'll continue to see the same. Doing great so far.

I'm about to start Phase 3. Did you buy that bar they use? Or did you just use a towel?

lljride

Ok. How many excersises actually use that bar in PAP upper and lower? Grats on almost being done btw.

It's just the one move in Upper, that's it.

I'm going to have to get some final thoughts together on X2 when I'm done. Right now I'm really torn. It's a great program, but there's SO much extra crap you need (unless you want to modify) that I'm not sure it's worth it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I'm going to have to get some final thoughts together on X2 when I'm done. Right now I'm really torn. It's a great program, but there's SO much extra crap you need (unless you want to modify) that I'm not sure it's worth it.
The fact that all I seriously needed was a 50 dollar investment (the set with the pull-up bar and 5 resistance bands) to get started was really a huge selling point in getting me started on X.

I hear you. I'd have a hard time recommending the program over X to someone if they aren't buying the med balls and stability ball. They are so crucial to the workout. On the other hand there are great workouts in there. I find X2 Yoga and Ab Ripper X2 superior to their counterparts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I hear you. I'd have a hard time recommending the program over X to someone if they aren't buying the med balls and stability ball. They are so crucial to the workout. On the other hand there are great workouts in there. I find X2 Yoga and Ab Ripper X2 superior to their counterparts.
X2 Yoga is fantastic. I really love it. Works up a great sweat and the pace for the sun salutations is ferocious, and I feel like it really worked my abs too.

I have Ab Ribber X2 to try as well, but I think it has Abrinomes in it as well and my back is sore from the ones in Yoga, so I'm gonna give it a little time, just do regular X tonight.

Syph

Neo Member
Did first day of Phase 2. Went ok, except for those one armed push ups. My arms and shoulders were already aching like hell so I couldn't really do any :(

I also just checked the back and biceps DVD, that Katy's voice is so annoying. 'I DID TEN :D' Ok you can go die now.

lljride

Yeah. Here's my main 3 selling points for X2:

1. PAP Lower/Upper. Nothing in X or X2 has pushed me as hard.

2. X2 Yoga vs Yoga X. I love me some Yoga X, but even I can appreciate a routine almost as good that's 30 minutes shorter.

2. V Sculpt vs Back and Biceps. Replace Katie with Collette AND get a better routine? Yes please.

I also just checked the back and biceps DVD, that Katy's voice is so annoying. 'I DID TEN :D' Ok you can go die now.

yep lol

Prodigal

Banned
Would it be detrimental to do Chest & Back and Shoulders & Arms on the same day? Was gonna throw some cardio in between as well.

Starting P90X tomorrow morning. I'm gonna wreck the shit out of Plyo, Cardio X, Kenpo, and Yoga (anything not strength). Chest & Back and anything else requiring pull ups or push ups is gonna own me. Did 4 push ups and 1 pull up in my fit test lol. Probably not going to get off to a good start tomorrow with Chest & Back but I'm determined. Should I feel like a loser doing assisted pull ups with the chair and a a lot of push ups on my knees for the first few weeks? Ō.o

Thanks psycho and Alfarif below. Hah I know about Plyo man I've watched my brother do it and I didn't think it looked that bad. I'll man up and eat my words if it turns out to be worse than I thought. I'll post in here after I do it.

One question about calorie intake. I'm level 1 so it says 1800 calories a day. How is eating 1800 calories a day while burning 600 through p90x (what they estimate) enough calories? I must be missing something because Im used to eating 1500-1700 calories a day normally without doing p90x and staying at about the same weight.

Google says my BMR is 1612 calories. That's what I assume I need to eat sitting in bed all day to live. Let's assume I do sit in bed all day and only doing p90x as my physical activity (basically do just study all day at school or home)...wouldn't I need to eat 2200 calories and not 1800 to bring me down to that 1600? If I'm eating 1800 calories a day and burning 600 that is 1200 a day and 400 less than my BMR.

Sorry if this sounds confusing (it's confusing me too) but I don't understand this much. I don't want to hinder my hard work by not eating enough or too little. This is my last question if someone can help me out before tomorrow. Everyone keeps saying eat a ton but I want to get this right.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Starting P90X tomorrow morning. I'm gonna wreck the shit out of Plyo, Cardio X, Kenpo, and Yoga (anything not strength). Chest & Back and anything else requiring pull ups or push ups is gonna own me. Did 4 push ups and 1 pull up in my fit test lol. Probably not going to get off to a good start tomorrow with Chest & Back but I'm determined. Should I feel like a loser doing assisted pull ups with the chair and a a lot of push ups on my knees for the first few weeks? Ō.o

Hehehe... should we tell him, boys?

But, seriously, just do as much as you can with GOOD FORM, even assisted. Because it doesn't matter how many you do if you have piss poor form. Oh you did 70 push-ups but half of your body was doing all of the lifting? Ok, then your chest is going to be uneven and your pecs are going to look like shit and your strength is going to be off. Also, remember that P90X is all about muscle confusion, so you are going to be really REALLY tired by teh end of the workouts. Don't be ashamed to start off strong and finish a lot further behind. It's the nature of the beast.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Plyometrics tips for the newcomers:

#1 Sleep well. If you don't sleep at least a good 7 hours, your performance will be average to terrible.

#2 Drink water throughout the day. By the time you do Plyo your piss should be crystal clear.

#3 Don't eat anything heavy at least 3 hours before you do this workout. If you eat, you'll feel nauseous and will end up throwing up all over the place. If you are starving before plyo, eat a fruit like watermelon or pineapple, or a protein shake with water.

#4 Plyo is very intense, an it will seem impossible if you haven't done a cardio workout like that in the past. There's always a modified version for most moves, so if one seems particularly daunting or exhausting, just modify. Then the next week at least try to do it more, and more, and more.

#5 There's barely any time to rest in this workout. I sometimes get on my knees while Tony is talking or explaining something so I can get my breath back.

Ill Saint

Yoga is all about strength, balance and flexibility. You will be humbled by Yoga more than any of the other workouts.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Bah. I'm doing pull-ups with a specially-designed assist thing (it's linked in the OP), and plenty of modified pushups (week 3). You callin' me a loser? :p

My upper body is definitely what needs the most work. Do whatever you can to work the targeted muscle groups. I'm still struggling, but I can tell I'm already getting stronger even with the modified moves.

Hehehe... should we tell him, boys?
KuGsj.gif

Plyo and Ab Ripper X are two workouts that seem to get MORE intense every time, because as I get better at everything, it's easier to keep up with them on the screen, which I end up coming closer to doing, meaning ow

Yoga is all about strength, balance and flexibility. You will be humbled by Yoga more than any of the other workouts.
Absolutely accurate. I was stunned to my core at how intense it was and the sweat I worked up, and I felt this way about both X and X2. I'm glad I did Yoga X once, but X2 is just as rewarding for me with a substantially lesser time requirement.

I had another weird night (slept like crazy early almost all the way through, missing my workout) so it's another doubles day, but split oddly. I did shoulders and arms this morning before work, but didn't have time for Ab Ripper X; so I'll be doing Yoga X2 when I get home, then Ab Ripper). Or maybe a little warm up, then Ab Ripper, then Yoga? Hm.

NH Apache

Banned
Plyometrics tips for the newcomers:

#1 Sleep well. If you don't sleep at least a good 7 hours, your performance will be average to terrible.

#2 Drink water throughout the day. By the time you do Plyo your piss should be crystal clear.

#3 Don't eat anything heavy at least 3 hours before you do this workout. If you eat, you'll feel nauseous and will end up throwing up all over the place. If you are starving before plyo, eat a fruit like watermelon or pineapple, or a protein shake with water.

#4 Plyo is very intense, an it will seem impossible if you haven't done a cardio workout like that in the past. There's always a modified version for most moves, so if one seems particularly daunting or exhausting, just modify. Then the next week at least try to do it more, and more, and more.

#5 There's barely any time to rest in this workout. I sometimes get on my knees while Tony is talking or explaining something so I can get my breath back.

Good lord. I just did plyo after waking up and completed maybe 75%. I skipped 15 minutes in the middle because I had nothing left (and I was running late).

GUUUUhhh

Had to take a 30 minute break after 30 minutes of day 1 Chest & Back. Finished the last 25 minutes after the break and was doggin it. I felt really faint. Not sure if I should be eating something before working out in the morn. Did almost everything assisted. Feels bad man.

BobLoblaw

Banned
Had to take a 30 minute break after 30 minutes of day 1 Chest & Back. Finished the last 25 minutes after the break and was doggin it. I felt really faint. Not sure if I should be eating something before working out in the morn. Did almost everything assisted. Feels bad man.
If you're just starting P90X, the goal isn't to try to keep up. It's to do as many reps of each exercise that you can before fail. If Tony's goal was 30 and you're starting from scratch, set your goal to something like 10 and then gradually go up to (or exceed) what he's doing. You'll burn out and get discouraged trying to keep up.

BeesEight

I had this for about the first week of the program. I didn't start eating beforehand but it did start getting better. My advice would be to take programs you haven't done before easier than you normally would just so you have an idea of what's involved the next time.

Good lord. I just did plyo after waking up and completed maybe 75%. I skipped 15 minutes in the middle because I had nothing left (and I was running late).

GUUUUhhh

I've kept up doing plyo even after doing the program. Easily one of my favourites from the entire p90X series. But that first month was killer. I got through it by designating one exercise per block as a "recovery" exercise and really taking it easy during that one so I didn't pass out.

Trust me, it never even crossed my mind to try and keep up with Tony or Bobby or the German potato soup girl and the other dude with the bands. If they were doing 25 push ups I was doing 10 assisted. I ate a banana during my 30 minute break which gave me the energy to finish. I may eat a banana from now on before my workout. Seems to give me a huge boost.

BeesEight

Trust me, it never even crossed my mind to try and keep up with Tony or Bobby or the German potato soup girl and the other dude with the bands. If they were doing 25 push ups I was doing 10 assisted. I ate a banana during my 30 minute break which gave me the energy to finish. I may eat a banana from now on before my workout. Seems to give me a huge boost.

Haha, wait till you get to the old lady on push-up day.

I, personally, get cramps if I eat too soon before workout. Have you considered having a recovery drink for the breaks between exercises?

P90X2 P.A.P. Upper and Lower workouts are amazing. I've never done the Insanity workouts, but I imagine them to be similar to these. It's a shame they don't show up until phase 3. By far the most I've sweat out of all the P90x2 workouts.

Top Bottom