• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Kopite

Oh, I generally do it late at night before heading to bed. Generally around 11-12am before waking up at 6 so my first meal post workout is my breakfast.

s1iR5Ob.png

FOOTE

I just heard about the new P90. Seems like it's going to be a good resource for those who want to get into fitness.

It's been awhile since I've been active in here but I'm currently doing a t25(mornings)/p90x2(evenings) run. It's not a hybrid, I'm doing the two simultaneously. I did body beast for a long time; upped my food intake and got a lot more powerful. But I didn't get any bigger (really) maybe except for my back.

I'm 168 lbs right now (~72kg) abs really aren't visible now (had them before my body beast run) Sooooo. My goal is to stay close to my weight and get my abs back. Simple.
p5DIwGc.gif

Pyrokai

Okay...serious question here.

Aside from pull-ups, eccentric upper and lower seem far too easy. I'm barely sore the next day and I glide through the workouts. I'm by no means super incredibly fit, but compare to The Challenge where I was doing 40 push ups PER exercise, and now I'm doing 30 slow ones TOTAL through the routine....it just seems too easy. I'm doing the mass schedule and have to do these workouts twice a week (P90X3) and I am trying to gain muscle mass.

Am I wasting my time? I'm not trying to discredit these routines, I just really need to know before I waste more of my time. Perhaps it's all in how it works, and I'll see better results than ever! :p . I just need to know...

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So you have to ask yourself these questions:

1. Is my form perfect? Neutral spine, head aligned & not ducking down, heels thrust back, pelvis tilted slightly forward? Elbows scraping your sides in military and staggered push-ups?
2. How's my range of motion? How far down do you go -- to elbows at 90 degrees? Deeper? Are you using stands? Are you maintaining perfect form throughout?
3. How explosive are you making the positive motion? This is obviously crucial for Plyo push-ups, but applies to the others as well.

It's the same with any workout -- you get out what you put in. If you find some moves too easy, answer the above questions. If you truly feel like you can't improve further, you can always pause the video and do more reps, or otherwise increase the intensity. For example on push-ups you can do decline versions, you can add a weight vest, etc.

LaneDS

Last week of P90X, third full time through!

Just did a really great chest and back workout... upping my numbers slowly week over week. Unassisted pull/chin-ups still not where I'd like them to be but I have another 40 weeks to go on my current year long P90X_ goal. Was able to bust out 40 push-ups yesterday at work when at the start of this I struggled to do even ten. Might not sound like a lot but that's possibly the most I've ever done at once and I felt pretty good about the number.

Keep up the good work y'all.

...time to binge on Destiny for the week.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
First day of week 9 was today. Pretty decent. After I finish P90X I think I'll switch to a different program, one with shorter workouts, since 60-90 minutes each day is sort of inconvenient for me.

LaneDS

First day of week 9 was today. Pretty decent. After I finish P90X I think I'll switch to a different program, one with shorter workouts, since 60-90 minutes each day is sort of inconvenient for me.

Good going! Think about P90X3, and also remember there is nothing wrong with mixing and matching your workouts. I think getting those longer workouts in when you feel up for it can only help you.

You playing on PS4?

Yessir! Binged like, hm, seven hours yesterday. Took the remainder of the week off and am mainlining through it with my brother and another pal who also have the time off. Trying to get workouts in where I'm able (like yesterday) and trying to eat healthy as well when not shooting at things. You doing the same?

I decided to do a pushup challenge at least as long as I remember. I started yesterday with 25 since that's what I could only get to lol. This morning I tried to match it and did 26. So tomorrow I'll do at least 26 or more.

Pyrokai

So you have to ask yourself these questions:

1. Is my form perfect? Neutral spine, head aligned & not ducking down, heels thrust back, pelvis tilted slightly forward? Elbows scraping your sides in military and staggered push-ups?
2. How's my range of motion? How far down do you go -- to elbows at 90 degrees? Deeper? Are you using stands? Are you maintaining perfect form throughout?
3. How explosive are you making the positive motion? This is obviously crucial for Plyo push-ups, but applies to the others as well.

It's the same with any workout -- you get out what you put in. If you find some moves too easy, answer the above questions. If you truly feel like you can't improve further, you can always pause the video and do more reps, or otherwise increase the intensity. For example on push-ups you can do decline versions, you can add a weight vest, etc.

Thanks, Steve! I'm sorry I'm so slow to reply but I definitely read this the day you posted it.

My form for MOST moves that aren't overly complex is pretty good, I think. I try to improve when I can. I also strive for good range of motion. I know I can improve, especially with new moves, so I'll keep working on this :)

But! I took your advice, and while I didn't go out and buy a weighted vest (wish I could, lol), I did do 20 push-ups instead of the 10. I just had to pause and rewind a lot. I did this for all except the Plyo push-up. I also upped my weights for some of the curls.

Overall, I feel like yesterday's Eccentric Upper was better than last week's, for sure.

One thing, though, is that I still totally have pull-up problems, and I'm LOVING what this is doing for me. I feel like this slow pull-up motion really is helping me with my pull-up struggles. My back is actually sore : D

Pyrokai

What do you mean?

I might be wrong (sorry if I am, LaneDS), but I think he means that some of the P90X/P90X2/P90X3 workouts are interchangeable. So if you're feeling spunking, you can do Chest & Back from X1 (about 60min) or if you're pressed for time you could use Eccentric Upper from X3 (30min).

I even remember a Beachbody YouTube video about how all the P90X workouts are all part of the same umbrella program, so you can substitute out ones whenever you feel like it and such.

I might actually do that this week :eek:

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I might be wrong (sorry if I am, LaneDS), but I think he means that some of the P90X/P90X2/P90X3 workouts are interchangeable. So if you're feeling spunking, you can do Chest & Back from X1 (about 60min) or if you're pressed for time you could use Eccentric Upper from X3 (30min).

I even remember a Beachbody YouTube video about how all the P90X workouts are all part of the same umbrella program, so you can substitute out ones whenever you feel like it and such.

Aha, I see. That makes sense - thanks! I think I will do that if/when I get P90X3.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Figured I may as well check in here.

Was finally able to convince the wife to start doing some kind of exercise, and we're doing the T25 program together now after we put the daughter to bed.

I'd had her doing the 7-minute "scientific" workout every other day before this to help get her some kind of primer, and she was totally OK with that level of involvement. My plan was always to do the 7-minute with her for a while and then graduate things up to something a bit more time-intensive and focused. Focused...ha!

She watched me do the first T25 video and it freaked her out a bit. 1. Because I never train cardio or my legs nearly as much as I should and the video had me dying by the end...and 2. the intensity of the whole thing.

Luckily I convinced her to give it a go, and we do best when we're doing things together.

Tanya's modifier is a life-saver for her, otherwise she wouldn't be doing these with me at all.

Having previously done Vanilla P90X all the way through, this is a much different animal (of course), so I'm making sure to do some sets of pull-ups throughout the week to keep my biceps/back worked.

We're a couple weeks in now and things are looking good. My squat form is improving. My agility is improving. Week 2 felt much more in-control than Week 1 (probably half from just knowing the moves ahead of time and half from actually being in better condition to execute them).

Overall happy with the program.

Shaun T is handsy as hell with that blonde, though. If I didn't know he was married to the dude in the back, I'd say he was cruising for a lawsuit.

Good program, looking forward to my 10 week results.

starting block 2 of p90x3. saw that it's eccentric stuff. lol. gotta build up that strength to stay up. we'll see how this goes.

also bought some casein protein powder (creamy vanilla) omg. worst shit ever. unsure if amazon will take it back open. lol

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
starting block 2 of p90x3. saw that it's eccentric stuff. lol. gotta build up that strength to stay up. we'll see how this goes.

also bought some casein protein powder (creamy vanilla) omg. worst shit ever. unsure if amazon will take it back open. lol

I just started using Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey from Costco (30g of protein in 1 scoop, minimal anything else) and mixing it with Trader Joe's unsweetened almond milk and it tastes amazing.

I would classify it so much as a pure "recovery drink" by BeachBody definition since it doesn't have a big carb kick with it, but if you're just looking for a liquid protein shot, I find this combo to be inoffensive nutritionally and tastes amazing.

I just started using Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey from Costco (30g of protein in 1 scoop, minimal anything else) and mixing it with Trader Joe's unsweetened almond milk and it tastes amazing.

I would classify it so much as a pure "recovery drink" by BeachBody definition since it doesn't have a big carb kick with it, but if you're just looking for a liquid protein shot, I find this combo to be inoffensive nutritionally and tastes amazing.

oh. i have some 100% whey (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000QSNYGI/?tag=neogaf0e-20) one as well. wanted to see about casein protein powder.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Guys. How is this possible? How can one gain muscle on Insanity? What does one need to do to achieve this?

https://twitter.com/Insanity/status/511890503596793856

Maybe he added in the Insanity Upper Body Weight Training workout?

Part of it is the angle of the picture, the lighting and the pose. He's flexing and has a down light in the second picture, which'll accentuate his muscles. He's also turned slightly. I don't think we're seeing all that much muscle gain, more of a cut.

You really can't gain too much muscle in 60 days unless you're lifting REALLY heavy and eating a lot.

LaneDS

Totally what I had in mind, thank you for answering! I was pretty lazy all of last week with Destiny being out and only worked out Tuesday then acted like a homeless person (with a nice TV setup) for the rest of the week (i.e. it was awesome). Back at it this week (chest and back last night and going to try an 8 mile run tonight). Tough Mudder at the end of next week... so it's crunch time.

Question for the thread- the girlfriend enjoyed Body Pump classes a few years back and recently learned there is a Beachbody Body Pump program. Has anyone used it? Would you recommend it?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Today was supposed to be the start of Week 10, but I think I've come down with a bug or something because my stomach is...not feeling well. :( My rest day was yesterday so I would feel like a bum if I took another day off, but I just don't think I can do any exercises today. :(

LaneDS

Today was supposed to be the start of Week 10, but I think I've come down with a bug or something because my stomach is...not feeling well. :( My rest day was yesterday so I would feel like a bum if I took another day off, but I just don't think I can do any exercises today. :(

Better to let yourself rest up than to overdo it. Don't feel bad. Rest up and workout again when you're feeling up to it.

Dany

Banned

feel better watsky <3 Working through a cold helps, but if its a stomach bug then oof :x

Pyrokai

Well that's somewhat discouraging, lol. I want to sit and do nothing and again muscle :p . Steroids are terrifying.

Also, saw this. Makes me worry I've been eating too much protein. I always try to eat 200g, (I weigh 160) but I don't think I ever make it that high. I usually get to about 150-180g per day, I think. But a big way I do that is by making a protein shake after my workout. I didn't realize I was harming my kidneys :(

Wow, Agility X in P90X3 is really damn fun.

Loving the fact that the workouts are shorter and seem to have a bit less downtime than P90X, though this was only day 2.

Visceir

Also, saw this. Makes me worry I've been eating too much protein. I always try to eat 200g, (I weigh 160) but I don't think I ever make it that high. I usually get to about 150-180g per day, I think. But a big way I do that is by making a protein shake after my workout. I didn't realize I was harming my kidneys :(

This is the first time I'm hearing of too much protein damaging kidneys, I wouldn't worry about it. 1.5x your bodyweight in kg is what I take in protein. I'm 80 kg right now and shooting for ~120 g protein minimum, wouldn't see a problem with 200 g either tho if I felt like bothering eating that much.

Pyrokai

Dammit Steve, I was just about to post that! Lol.

I haven't done T25, but what exactly is the difference here?

The Twitter feed lunches today, too: @InsanityMAX30

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Dammit Steve, I was just about to post that! Lol.

I haven't done T25, but what exactly is the difference here?

The Twitter feed lunches today, too: @InsanityMAX30

It'll be interesting to see the differences.. I was watching an mobile phone video of Carl Daikeler and Shaun T talking about it, and it sounds like it's based on the idea of pushing yourself to failure each workout... you won't be able to last the full 30 minutes at first, but you push for as long as you can & try to last longer each workout.

If it's structured like the live Insanity classes, it'll probably have a warm-up & stretch sequence, then two rounds of four moves each plus a power move. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a separate cool-down after the 30 minutes, like T25 does after the 25 minutes. But. As I find out more, I'll let everyone know.

can't wait for a 30min version of Insanity. I do hope it's more balanced this time around and not just front of the body focused. Insanity did nothing for biceps, back, traps. basically any pulling motions.

Wrapping up with month 2 of P90X3 and the gains have been amazing. The only hard thing are/were pull-ups but I'm now able to do a set of 10 for each workout with good form so I'm happy with that. Goal is to be able to do sets of 15-17.

Goddamn Tony is fuckin irritating though but puts together great workouts. Anyone should be able to get a great workout from it.

As always input = output so the more you push, the more you can expect to see.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Watched the sizzle reel.

150 new moves, no equipment. Low impact modifier in all workouts.

You push hard as you can, and when folks in the video take a break they write the time down on a chalkboard and then get back into it as quickly as they can.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Is that available to watch anywhere?

It was a mobile phone video posted to a closed Facebook group. The Coach Leadership Retreat is going on now for high-level coaches and it was recorded there. Beachbody will probably release it this weekend, but as soon as I find a link I'll post it.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Oh nice. So it's just to keep going until you can't anymore? If you stop at 17 minutes, are you supposed to quit for the rest if the workout? And then try to increase your each day until you hit 30?

This looks awesome, ha.

I think you start again as soon as you can. You write the time when you take breaks (and maybe when you start?) to figure out your total time.

Top Bottom