• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah, just press on.

One thing I've found is that, at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter if you skip a day, or even two, as long as you get back to it as quickly as possible.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I tend to go back and do the days I missed. Only because psychologically I don't feel like I've actually "finished" otherwise.

I think I'll feel that way the next time I do a NEW program, but in this third round of P90X3 it doesn't break me up to miss a workout here & there :) Especially since I'm adding in PiYo workouts 3-5 times/week.

If I skip a day, I just do that workout the following day. It's the workout schedule, not the days I focus on.

If I'm super strict, then I start to treat it like a chore and eventually fall out of it so if something comes up and i have to miss some time, I'm ok with that. I just pick up where I left off.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I don't even have a set schedule anymore, I just do BodyBeast workouts 6 days/week and try to not to train specific muscle groups too often. I quite like the freedom.

Finally hit a personal milestone yesterday.

When I first started P90X3, the challenge was an embarrasment esp on pullups.

However, I started Block/month 3 and it choose The Challenge and set myself a goal for 10pullups and 30pushups.

It was not easy by any means but I did it. My goal by the end of Elite workout set is to go do the challenge and so 15pullups and 35 pushups. Such a great measuring stick. I wish he had some thing similar for the lower body also.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

However, I started Block/month 3 and it choose The Challenge and set myself a goal for 10pullups and 30pushups.

It was not easy by any means but I did it. My goal by the end of Elite workout set is to go do the challenge and so 15pullups and 35 pushups. Such a great measuring stick. I wish he had some thing similar for the lower body also.

Congratz!

FOOTE

Just a tip for anyone who misses a day or a few or a week Get better, sort what you need to sort and press on. The goal is long term, much longer than 90 days. Redo the week, pick up where you left off... its all good and it's up to you how you continue. The key is to continue. Don't feel bad or depressed about missing workouts, shit happens.

Good stuff. It's never easy! ;)

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Just a tip for anyone who misses a day or a few or a week Get better, sort what you need to sort and press on. The goal is long term, much longer than 90 days. Redo the week, pick up where you left off... its all good and it's up to you how you continue. The key is to continue. Don't feel bad or depressed about missing workouts, shit happens.

Amen!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Nicely done! My own pull-up numbers are down a bit, as I have put on 7-8lbs doing P90X3 Mass and I'm also putting a greater emphasis on full range of motion and perfect form, so full extension to chin above the bar on all reps.

Hit a milestone of my own today -- it's my 50th birthday :)

FOOTE

You know, I really can't stand the presentation / organisation of Body Beast... but one thing is certain, it's working.
I didn't like Body Beast at first, but yeah, it works. Getting used to Sagi and all of the extremely quick move changes using my bowflex weights was the key for me. First time I popped in a Body Beast dvd I lasted 10 minutes and had to regroup because Sagi was not Tony Horton or Shawn T... at all. He's ok in my book now though.

Nicely done! My own pull-up numbers are down a bit, as I have put on 7-8lbs doing P90X3 Mass and I'm also putting a greater emphasis on full range of motion and perfect form, so full extension to chin above the bar on all reps.

Happy B-day!

Ixian

Happy birthday! May your body be beach quality for many years to come. :)

Totally with you on the form.

Congrats man! You're certainly an inspiration to many of us with your commitment to health and not using age as a crutch.

LaneDS

Finished P90X yesterday :)

Good job! Now start it again today! And I will too!

Really though, awesome going sticking with it. If you're inclined, you should write-up your impressions and post some results if you have anything you want to share. That stuff is usually interesting and can push others to get going or highlight what you might want to work on next.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Woohoo! Congrats:)

Congrats!

Sweet :) How'd it go?

Good job! Now start it again today! And I will too!

Really though, awesome going sticking with it. If you're inclined, you should write-up your impressions and post some results if you have anything you want to share. That stuff is usually interesting and can push others to get going or highlight what you might want to work on next.

Thanks!

All things considered, I think it went fairly well. I really wasn't in shape going in, and since P90X is primarily for people who are already pretty fit, I struggled quite a bit. Mainly with push ups and all those fucking squats/lunges. I also took things really slowly - used light weights (I'm talkin really light, but only because those were the only ones I had. I'm in the market for heavier ones though!), modified a ton, and did Cardio X instead of Plyo (I just don't have the endurance to do plyo without having to take a million breaks). I also didn't follow any diets or anything, didn't take protein powder or anything like that, so as a result, I didn't see a whole lot of change at the end of the 90 days. I am a lot more flexible though (thanks X Stretch and Yoga X!) and I do feel quite a bit better than I did three months ago.

I do think I'm gonna hold off on going through it again, at least until I can get some heavier weights. In the meantime though I'm definitely going to stick with Yoga and Cardio because I really do feel like those benefit me greatly.

And if/when I do do it again, I probably won't follow the program exactly. I dreaded doing certain discs and I really don't feel like I should stick with something that I dread, so I'll probably try to find substitutes for some of the exercises (no, Tony, I'm not excited for Yoga Belly 7!).

I'm still new to the fitness world and I'm still not sure if P90X is for me. I think I'd rather go outside and bike or swim or something, or go to a gym and use weight machines, rather than do another round of P90X again, but since it's getting cold out and it'll start snowing soon, I think I'll do a heavily modified round (or I might look into P90X2, 3, or some other BeachBody type program) until it gets warmer and I can go outside and actually have fun while I try to get in shape.

Pyrokai

A few things: Happy belated birthday, Steve!

And congrats to you, Ratsky! A key thing to keep at fitness is to find something you enjoy, so if you aren't enjoying P90X, try something else. Maybe a different Beachbody program or something entirely different. I hate going to gyms, and it was a huge deterrent in getting in shape, so Beachbody worked for me, but I know it's not for everyone. Best of luck and we're all here for you!

You know, I really can't stand the presentation / organisation of Body Beast... but one thing is certain, it's working.

I'm going to be doing Body Beast once I finish this round of P90X/Insanity Hybrid I 'm doing. I've made up my mind.

I've got to ask....even though I'm 2 months away....what are some of your thoughts on it as of right now, and what "optional" equipment should I prepare to invest in? I ask now because I'm going to have to plan my budget. I'll probably need new weights and I'd like a bench if that's something that would help immensely or something. FYI: I have 12, 15, 20, 25, 30, and 40 pound weights. I should probably invest in some 35's, but I'm wondering if I should skip 45/50/55 and go straight for 60? Lawnmowers are so easy for me with 40s....

Ugh....I'm nervous about what Body Beast is going to cost me. Now I'm thinking about food, too :p

Anyone who's doing P90X3 what do you guys do with your diet? I was hoping for some recipes specific to P90X3 since the diet seems somewhat different than the other ones, at least the Xbox version. I googled recipes expecting to find Beachbody had some posted on their forums or something but... nothing?

Also some weird guy on Twitter offered to be my Coach and I turned him down because I don't know him and he found me by googling people tweeting about P90X like some kind of predator :p. What does a Beachbody coach do for you? Are you guys given incentives to seek out people in that way?

FOOTE

Anyone who's doing P90X3 what do you guys do with your diet? I was hoping for some recipes specific to P90X3 since the diet seems somewhat different than the other ones, at least the Xbox version. I googled recipes expecting to find Beachbody had some posted on their forums or something but... nothing?

Also some weird guy on Twitter offered to be my Coach and I turned him down because I don't know him and he found me by googling people tweeting about P90X like some kind of predator :p. What does a Beachbody coach do for you? Are you guys given incentives to seek out people in that way?

I believe the coaches make money if you buy products from Beach Body through them... So I guess that's the incentive.

Also want to chime in and say that Plyo X is still a killer... I'm so sore right now...

casperOne

Anyone here have experience with fitness trackers for non-step workouts like the beachbody workouts? Ideally, I'd like to track calories burned during my workouts as well as have a sleep monitor which will wake me at the best point in my sleep cycle in one device.

Right now, very few fitness trackers I've seen (Jawbone UP24, Fitbit) seem to track calorie burn well for non-step exercises (like P90X3, which I'm doing now).

I know that trying to measure this is inaccurate as it is (you need expensive specialized equipment to track calories), but I want to get something that at least incorporates heartrate into the equation to have a more accurate picture of what I'm doing.

The video for Apple Watch indicates that it may be good for non-step exercises, given that it has a heart rate monitor, and a slew of other sensors.

I'm also considering the Basis Peak, which is being released in November.

Any feedback is appreciated, thanks!

Pyrokai

I just got a Fitbit without realizing this Polar Loop existed....now I'm a little bummed :(

But...I've been thinking about getting a standard HRM for exercises that are non-step and adding that to what my Fitbit is calculating. Do you think that will be smart or is that stupid?

I just....can't figure out what HRM to get. I don't want to get ripped off but I want something that's good. There are so many choices and I can't tell which to get.

By the time you get to "decent" HRM prices you might as well just buy a Polar Loop.

I'd consider something like a Polar FT4 though if you want something good.

Pyrokai

Which do you think would be most accurate, though? Is the Loop pretty accurate? I feel like doing the Fitbit + HRM during workouts might do the trick, if not be a little bit of a pain. I tend to feel that HRMs with chest straps would be a lot more accurate than those without...and the Loop doesn't have a chest strap, does it? It's meant to be worn on the wrist all the time like a Fitbit, right?

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I gather.

Loop works with a chest strap, I have no idea if it's included. That review will say.

Next comes likely the most appealing aspect of the Loop – the ability to pair to a Bluetooth Smart heart rate (HR) strap. Any Bluetooth Smart heart rate strap will work (note: not old-school Bluetooth, must say Bluetooth Smart). I’ve tried it against a handful of straps I have around me, including the Polar H7, the 4iiii’s Viiiiva, and the TomTom Bluetooth Smart strap. In theory, all straps follow the same device profile specification for interoperability, and should work without issue.

As for accurate, technically optical can be even more accurate, but not when it's just on your wrist (too much movement which means light can leak in from the sides of the strap)

Picking up P90X3 off Amazon soon,my girlfriend and I are gonna go at it hard as we wanna look and feel our best at our wedding in 16 months. I hope there are some workouts that dont strain the knees to much as my girl has had knee problems in the past. I think they might b weight related. Taking "before" pics this week. Wish us luck!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Picking up P90X3 off Amazon soon,my girlfriend and I are gonna go at it hard as we wanna look and feel our best at our wedding in 16 months. I hope there are some workouts that dont strain the knees to much as my girl has had knee problems in the past. I think they might b weight related. Taking "before" pics this week. Wish us luck!

If you order it from TeamBeachbody.com it's currently about $20 less than Amazon (not including shipping.)

As far as knees go, pay close attention to Tony Horton's hints about form, and you can also look to people who are doing modifications of the moves in most of the workouts.

Once you start, be sure to post here with any questions you might have -- a bunch of us here have done P90X3 (I'm just about to finish my 3rd round!) and we'll all be happy to help!

Tash

So, I am a P90X, Insanity and Asylum Graduate. I started T25, P90X2 and P90X3 as well but RL got in the way each time.

It has now been 3 years since I finished a program properly and I am currently in really bad shape. Three years ago on the height of my Beachbody Journey I had amazing stats (for someone with MS): I was able to hold Plank for 2.38 minutes and proper form, my body fat was 19,2 and my strength measured in max weight lift/body weight = 2,76 (supposedly superior)..

I am nowhere even close to this today. I am happy if I can do 3 push-ups in succession.
So, I have a goal for next year: To join and finish this http://www.toughest.se/en/

I am now in my first week of the classic original P90X (and in a world of pain :p). I plan to finish it then move to Insanity and finish up with Asylum. Do you guys and girls think that would be a good schedule to prepare?

P90X for proper base and overall fitness, Insanity for Cardio Vascular and then Asylum for the actual sport aspect.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
So, I am a P90X, Insanity and Asylum Graduate. I started T25, P90X2 and P90X3 as well but RL got in the way each time.

It has now been 3 years since I finished a program properly and I am currently in really bad shape. Three years ago on the height of my Beachbody Journey I had amazing stats (for someone with MS): I was able to hold Plank for 2.38 minutes and proper form, my body fat was 19,2 and my strength measured in max weight lift/body weight = 2,76 (supposedly superior)..

I am nowhere even close to this today. I am happy if I can do 3 push-ups in succession.
So, I have a goal for next year: To join and finish this http://www.toughest.se/en/

I am now in my first week of the classic original P90X (and in a world of pain :p). I plan to finish it then move to Insanity and finish up with Asylum. Do you guys and girls think that would be a good schedule to prepare?

P90X for proper base and overall fitness, Insanity for Cardio Vascular and then Asylum for the actual sport aspect.

Glad to see you back, Tash! That looks *really* challenging -- like ridiculously so! If you can finish that you can do just about anything. :) I definitely think Insanity and Asylum will help with your endurance and agility. You might also want to add in some pull-up and dip drills, since once you finish P90X you won't be doing those anymore, and you'll need that strength for all the climbing!

And please keep posting here regularly as you go, we'll cheer you on as you train up :)

i skipped the last 3 weeks of P90X3 beccause i stayed with the 3 weeks for 2 more weeks and was like meh. going to do T-25 lol

I'm in my "victory week" for my third round of P90X3 myself, finishing up the "Mass" schedule. I'm really done with X3, 3 rounds was more than enough. I think I can quote every workout in its entirety now ;-)

I think my increased calorie diet outpaced my workouts though -- while I know I've gained some strength, I've put on about 10lbs and it's making pull-ups MUCH harder. And I don't think I've gained it all in muscle, either. I've definitely added back way too much fat. And I can feel it -- I'm tired more often, and workouts in general are tougher. Not a good feeling!

Starting Tuesday I'm going to do a full round of PiYo. We're also doing T25 in our Fit Club, going through all the workouts one each week. Last week was Alpha: Cardio, today is Alpha: Speed 1.0, and so on. We're not following the schedule, just doing each workout once. We'll go all the way through Alpha, Beta and Gamma, finishing up in February with Core Speed.

After I finish PiYo in December, Insanity Max :30 should be out, so I'll be starting that.

And I'm back on a lower-calorie diet again. I don't think bulking is going to work for me without me lifting *much* heavier weights. I might be getting a power cage, olympic bar & plates next year...

Oh, and I'm going to do the 3 Day Refresh starting on Monday. Click here, click on Shop, click on 3-Day Refresh for info. Hopefully that'll kick-start my "cutting phase". :)

Tash

Thanks so much Steve! (flattered you even remember me :))

Yeah, that is the only thing that I am a bit worried about with my planned Schedule: The Toughest has a lot of upper body strength stuff and neither Insanity or Asylum focus on that. Maybe adding the P90X3 Challenge during Insanity and Asylum would help with that. Maybe a few times per week?

And again, more than ever, I wish the R&R Formula was available here in Europe :(
Oh and I forgot: My VO2 Max was at 48.6 (at age 35 that's not bad imo :D)

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION

Oh yeah, heard about Toughest, there's also Tough Viking: http://toughviking.se/ (Swedish only). Seems to be pretty much the same, but with more extreme/silly stuff like electric shocks, walking over hot coal and being tackled by (American) football players. Never tried any of them myself, but have been kind of thinking about it this past year. It's an awesome goal to have though, wish you the best of luck!

Karram

I'm about to finish P90X3 (victory week) and I was wondering if I should start the elite block or should I just do P90X2 and skip the Elite block ?
Also which P90X program relies the least on pull ups ? I have no place to set up my chin up bar so I'd like to find the one that doesn't rely on it so much. I feel like I'm missing so much of the workout using the bands.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'm about to finish P90X3 (victory week) and I was wondering if I should start the elite block or should I just do P90X2 and skip the Elite block ?
Also which P90X program relies the least on pull ups ? I have no place to set up my chin up bar so I'd like to find the one that doesn't rely on it so much. I feel like I'm missing so much of the workout using the bands.

All of the P90X programs incorporate pull-ups to about the same extent as X3. Tony Horton is a firm believer in their effectiveness. If you want a workout program that doesn't use them, you might consider any of Shaun T's workouts (Insanity, Focus T25) or Body Beast.

As far as the Elite block goes, if you have I say go for it!

Pyrokai

Boy guys.....have I dropped the ball....

I had just finished Phase 1 of my P90X/Insanity Hybrid schedule, did the recovery week and everything. Then I had a business trip. Then I had my wisdom tooth removed.

All in all, I haven't exercised in two weeks, with the week prior being a recovery week. This is the longest I have gone since I started doing these programs last November.

By the way, that means that I have been consistently exercising for one full year now! If this is my longest break I've gone through, I think I've done a pretty fine job so far :)

Anyway....I don't know whether to continue this schedule or just dive into Body Beast at this point. Still deciding, but I have to decide today. Also, it's been 3 days since I had my surgery (got it taken out on Friday)....do you think I'm okay to do a mostly resistance training routine today (no cardio)? I feel fine....I'm just worried the increased heart rate might break the blood clot or something. Probably being over cautious...

KingGondo

Banned
Boy guys.....have I dropped the ball....

I had just finished Phase 1 of my P90X/Insanity Hybrid schedule, did the recovery week and everything. Then I had a business trip. Then I had my wisdom tooth removed.

All in all, I haven't exercised in two weeks, with the week prior being a recovery week. This is the longest I have gone since I started doing these programs last November.

By the way, that means that I have been consistently exercising for one full year now! If this is my longest break I've gone through, I think I've done a pretty fine job so far :)

Anyway....I don't know whether to continue this schedule or just dive into Body Beast at this point. Still deciding, but I have to decide today. Also, it's been 3 days since I had my surgery (got it taken out on Friday)....do you think I'm okay to do a mostly resistance training routine today (no cardio)? I feel fine....I'm just worried the increased heart rate might break the blood clot or something. Probably being over cautious...
I'd call your dentist if you're that paranoid about it. Probably nothing to be concerned about.

Btw, I'd go ahead and finish the schedule you set up. I think it's important to follow through unless you have a really good excuse.

Speaking of which, I'm trying Insanity again for the umpteenth time after flaming out at various stages over the last few months. For some reason I just have a hard time sticking with it, probably because the workout are so long and intense (and the workouts don't have the variety of P90X).

Any words of encouragement would be much appreciated!

Top Bottom