• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I'd call your dentist if you're that paranoid about it. Probably nothing to be concerned about.

Btw, I'd go ahead and finish the schedule you set up. I think it's important to follow through unless you have a really good excuse.

Speaking of which, I'm trying Insanity again for the umpteenth time after flaming out at various stages over the last few months. For some reason I just have a hard time sticking with it, probably because the workout are so long and intense (and the workouts don't have the variety of P90X).

Any words of encouragement would be much appreciated!

Insanity is tough and knowing that month two workouts are even longer is not motivating! Plus the static stretches after the warmup are counter productive (even the Insanity Live classes have moved to more dynamic stretches). I wouldn't feel bad about not wanting to stick with it. Personally I don't intend to go through the program again, though I do pop in one of the workouts ever now and then.

And don't forget, Insanity Max :30 is coming out in December. I'll be getting that right away & will probably start in the new year. I'm starting a full round of PiYo tomorrow, and that'll bring me to about that time.

so i skipped last friday of week 1 of T-25. how tough is the 2 workout thing? lol. i'm dreading it before even trying and i only do the first workout lol.

Tash

Oh yeah, heard about Toughest, there's also Tough Viking: http://toughviking.se/ (Swedish only). Seems to be pretty much the same, but with more extreme/silly stuff like electric shocks, walking over hot coal and being tackled by (American) football players. Never tried any of them myself, but have been kind of thinking about it this past year. It's an awesome goal to have though, wish you the best of luck!

Yeah, not a fan of the electric fence, barbwire stuff that can actually hurt you. :)
I just finished my second week of P90X and while it's hard and a real struggle (especially because I don't remember how I did when I started but I remember how I did when I finished..) I am improving slowly. Rest day today, thank god :)

As always, the first week was horrific in regards to DOMS but the second week was already way, way better (almost a bit disappointingly so).

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Of if you're not already signed on to TeamBeachbody:

http://www.teambeachbody.com/shop/-/shopping/P90Base?referringRepId=212459

Finished up the 3 Day Refresh this week. Went from 174.9lbs on Monday morning to 169.8lbs this morning. Not bad!

3 Day Refresh consists of the following each day:
Breakfast:
- Shakeology with fruit, ice & water (no milk). I used either 1/2 banana or 2/3 cup of blueberries with Chocolate non-vegan Shakeology.
Mid-Morning:
- Fiber Sweep -- this is a powder you mix with 10oz water. It has a pleasant taste and is very high in fiber.
Lunch:
- Vanilla Fresh shake with ice, water & fruit. This is sort of like Vanilla Shakeology if they made a Vegan flavor, but it has more protein and isn't meant as a meal replacement like Shakeology. It tastes pretty good. I added either half a banana or 2/3 cup blueberries.
- Raw veggies + 2tbs hummus (they have a list of other things you can eat).
Mid-Afternoon Snack
- Raw veggies + 2tbs hummus (again, drawn from their list)
Dinner:
- Vanilla Fresh shake with ice & water, no fruit added
- They have a list of recipes. I chose Kale & pine nuts for my two dinners. My third was off the diet plan, I went to an end-of-the-season banquet for one of the horse show series my son competes in & they had a buffet. I made reasonable choices :)

You also drink LOTS of water, and can have decaf tea twice a day if you choose. You're also allowed vegetable broth with dinner, but I didn't add that.

Since I missed that one dinner, I extended the plan to a fourth day, just for breakfast & lunch, and am now transitioning back.

Overall I wasn't hungry at all; the Vanilla Fresh shakes are pretty satisfying. I'm happy with it. I'll probably do this 3-4 times a year, particularly after holidays :)

3 Day Refresh if you already get Shakeology
3 Day Refresh with 3 servings of Shakeology

I also started PiYo this week, I'm doing the whole schedule standalone, whereas during P90X3 Mass I added in select PiYo workouts here & there. Today was Day 4.

Tash

Finished up the 3 Day Refresh this week. Went from 174.9lbs on Monday morning to 169.8lbs this morning. Not bad!

Breakfast:
- Shakeology with fruit, ice & water (no milk). I used either 1/2 banana or 2/3 cup of blueberries with Chocolate non-vegan Shakeology.
Mid-Morning:
- Fiber Sweep -- this is a powder you mix with 10oz water. It has a pleasant taste and is very high in fiber.
Lunch:
- Vanilla Fresh shake with ice, water & fruit. This is sort of like Vanilla Shakeology if they made a Vegan flavor, but it has more protein and isn't meant as a meal replacement like Shakeology. It tastes pretty good. I added either half a banana or 2/3 cup blueberries.
Mid-Afternoon Snack
Dinner:
- They have a list of recipes. I chose Kale & pine nuts for my two dinners. My third was off the diet plan, I went to an end-of-the-season banquet for one of the horse show series my son competes in & they had a buffet. I made reasonable choices :)

You also drink LOTS of water, and can have decaf tea twice a day if you choose. You're also allowed vegetable broth with dinner, but I didn't add that.

Since I missed that one dinner, I extended the plan to a fourth day, just for breakfast & lunch, and am now transitioning back.

Overall I wasn't hungry at all; the Vanilla Fresh shakes are pretty satisfying. I'm happy with it. I'll probably do this 3-4 times a year, particularly after holidays :)

I also started PiYo this week, I'm doing the whole schedule standalone, whereas during P90X3 Mass I added in select PiYo workouts here & there. Today was Day 4.

I wanna be able to do this so badly :(
Would be great for me and my bf.

Breakfast:
Mid-Morning:
Lunch:
Mid-Afternoon Snack
Dinner:

i feel like i need to try this refresh during the weekend since i rarely am doing much.

i need a few more pounds dropped to fall below 200# (3 pounds to go)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
I wanna be able to do this so badly :(
Would be great for me and my bf.

Yeah, I hope Beachbody is able to overcome issues shipping Shakeology & other things to Europe. I haven't heard of any movement on that front unfortunately.

i feel like i need to try this refresh during the weekend since i rarely am doing much.

i need a few more pounds dropped to fall below 200# (3 pounds to go)

It's pretty effective, and it's not just "water weight" as you're consuming a HUGE amount of fluids. The best thing about it is that it's a very manageable 3 days. It's not the huge commitment and lifestyle change that 21 Day Reset requires. Plus, you can still exercise during it, while in 21 Day Reset says you should only do light exercise during the program.

Pyrokai

Man, this thread has really slowed down!! You can tell the holidays are approaching :p

Anyway, I totally fell off the wagon. Right after I got my wisdom tooth removed, I got incredibly sick. Like, flu-like sick. I lost about 5 pounds I was so sick. So combine that the trip and the tooth, I haven't exercised for almost a month, which is just terrible.

However! Yesterday, I started Body Beast. Like, I really and truly am committed to doing it now and I did all the necessary prep-work. I'm already completely sore :p

I've not really been posting because I guess technically I'm not really doing body beast... I'm just using some of the routines to fit in with my own plan. I lost way too much "cycling fitness" doing just the body beast stuff so now I'm trying to do a two a day plan, and focussing more on cycling than aesthetics.

Pyrokai

I've not really been posting because I guess technically I'm not really doing body beast... I'm just using some of the routines to fit in with my own plan. I lost way too much "cycling fitness" doing just the body beast stuff so now I'm trying to do a two a day plan, and focussing more on cycling than aesthetics.

You know, I don't really do any exercising outside of Beachbody videos (I wish I did.....but I live in a weird place where I can barely get outside....I need to move), but I've wondered about this with the Insanity videos. I know it's counterproductive, but I might periodically do an Insanity workout so I don't "lose" the ability to do them! I was at a point where I could, at least for the "first month workouts", do them straight through without having to stop. And it felt awesome. I wonder if I could do that after not doing them for a month......hmmmm...

But man, I really need a bench. The medicine ball just isn't doing it for me. I went to a fitness store and they're like $399. Please tell me I can get them sub-$100 somewhere....

well i've been slacking off ;p

my friend is coming town to visit next year in april and we are having a competition. loser pays for dinner haha.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Since finishing up my 3rd round of X3 a few weeks ago, I've been doing PiYo. It's a great routine, really amazing core work and a surprising amount of upper body work as well as leg work. It's all body weight. But there are a TON of triceps (aka military) pushups and you spend a fairly significant amount of time in plank & downward dog, often combined with a leg raised. Not to mention side plank. Anyway, Chalene Johnson's a bit TOO perky for a 4:45AM workout, but I'll manage because the workouts are so good!

I'm also in a bit of a "cutting" phase still. I gained back about 3lbs after the 3 day reset, so I altered my diet a bit & am back to the low weight. I'm still trying to mostly get rid of fat.

In retrospect and relevant to the discussion above, I can't say I'd recommend the P90X3 Mass schedule. There's simply not enough cardio in it, and while my strength did improve, my cardio endurance suffered significantly. Body Beast has the same issue. I think the P90X3 Classic or Doubles schedules are the best, well-rounded exercise programs for general functional fitness.

In PiYo there's not really any "cardio", but you will sweat a lot and your heart will definitely get pumping. I am going through all of the T25 workouts with my Fit Club at work on Fridays, so I'm getting some extra cardio on those days.

Pyrokai

You're really selling me on PiYo! I'd like to do it someday. Keep hearing good things about it.

I was also getting the same feeling about X3's Mass Schedule, and I was thinking I'd have the same problem with Body Beast. I think I will add in 1-2 Insanity workouts per week while I do Body Beast so I don't lose so much cardio conditioning....if I haven't already

Guys, I'm in pretty terrible pain right now. I don't know if this is normal or not, but yesterday I did "Build: Legs" and today I am INCREDIBLY sore. Like, sore in that I'm limping...but that's because in the back of my left foot, if I put pressure on it, I receive a sharp shooting pain. So that's why I'm limping. Even yesterday as I did the workout, I felt pain I had never felt before in my quads and hamstrings. This wasn't the "burning" that is usually considered good, but it was a weird pain in my quads and hamstrings that I had never experienced before. Today they're pretty bad, but I'm primarily concerened with this sharp shooting pain coming from my foot. Any ideas what this could be and should I be concerned?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
You're really selling me on PiYo! I'd like to do it someday. Keep hearing good things about it.

I was also getting the same feeling about X3's Mass Schedule, and I was thinking I'd have the same problem with Body Beast. I think I will add in 1-2 Insanity workouts per week while I do Body Beast so I don't lose so much cardio conditioning....if I haven't already

Guys, I'm in pretty terrible pain right now. I don't know if this is normal or not, but yesterday I did "Build: Legs" and today I am INCREDIBLY sore. Like, sore in that I'm limping...but that's because in the back of my left foot, if I put pressure on it, I receive a sharp shooting pain. So that's why I'm limping. Even yesterday as I did the workout, I felt pain I had never felt before in my quads and hamstrings. This wasn't the "burning" that is usually considered good, but it was a weird pain in my quads and hamstrings that I had never experienced before. Today they're pretty bad, but I'm primarily concerened with this sharp shooting pain coming from my foot. Any ideas what this could be and should I be concerned?

The pain in your foot could be a cramp. Maybe try eating a banana or two. The other pain doesn't sound right -- I'd back off on the weight & re-evaluate your form.

I will say this -- when I first did Body Beast, I was in agony most nights for the first several weeks. Sore *everywhere*. My arms in particular hurt so bad it was hard to sleep. Ugh! But it eventually did get better.

How hard the elite workouts of P90X3? I'm close to wrapping up block 3 and starting on those.

If you've done P90X2, you'll find them very similar to the PAP Upper & Lower workouts, albeit compressed to 30 minutes. They're pretty intense mostly because there's pretty much no rest. Beachbody doesn't recommend you do them longer than the Elite Block is scheduled. But they are good & hit most everything.

Pyrokai

The pain in your foot could be a cramp. Maybe try eating a banana or two. The other pain doesn't sound right -- I'd back off on the weight & re-evaluate your form.

I will say this -- when I first did Body Beast, I was in agony most nights for the first several weeks. Sore *everywhere*. My arms in particular hurt so bad it was hard to sleep. Ugh! But it eventually did get better.

I think it might be a cramp...but....I eat a lot of bananas and had 3 in the past two days, so I'm not sure if it's a cramp, but man does it HURT. And my legs hurt all OVER. It's like crazy painful. I'm sitting at my desk right now and my butt just.....hurts. I can't believe how sore I am. What's crazy is that I don't feel like I worked harder than I have during a P90X leg workout or something. This program and the way it works is just so totally different.....I'm just super surprised at how much it's affecting me in 2 days after.

Tonight is Back and Biceps. I'm in for a world of hurt :(

Forget bananas if you're suffering with cramp, drink pickle juice / vinegar.

http://blog.trainerroad.com/pickle-juice-stop-cramps/

Lots of people do the whole banana thing... but it really only works for a small subset of cramp causes. At the end of the day, until you train your body to deal with what you're putting it through, it'll keep happening. Sounds to me more like severe DOMS anyway (I had it recently doing leg day and couldn't walk properly for more than a week).

Pyrokai

I am just in shock at this. I can't believe how sore it's making me! I'm glad....I guess....because that means something is happening, but man.....crazy and unexpected for sure.

Also, I'm not quite sure why I do it, but I occasionally go into the Fitness OT. I know you're in there, too, Psychotext, but I totally feel like that thread is from a different planet from this one. I wish I understood, like, 5% of what they're talking about...

I know you're in there, too, Psychotext, but I totally feel like that thread is from a different planet from this one. I wish I understood, like, 5% of what they're talking about...

90% of it is just what we assume works based on the current science. I'm sure in another 15 years we'll be looking back and shaking our heads at how ignorant we all were... again.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Also, I'm not quite sure why I do it, but I occasionally go into the Fitness OT. I know you're in there, too, Psychotext, but I totally feel like that thread is from a different planet from this one. I wish I understood, like, 5% of what they're talking about...

Agreed. That thread is totally incomprehensible to me. The learning curve seems insurmountable.

i can't tell if this is fat or some loose skin or a mixture of both. but feels like i need to do body beast or something with weight resistance.

EDIT:

it's probably fat. because my carb consumption is still a lot lol. i'm getting close to an extreme hourglass soon. lol

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Insanity Max: 30 will be available starting December 2. I'll post links as soon as I have them.

I'll be ordering it right away, and starting on December 29, the day I finish PiYo.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Beachbody's having their own Black Friday sale, going on now and running through 12/2/14 at 5PM PST "while supplies last." Here are some of the best deals:

P90X: $119.85->$49.95 http://bit.ly/1nPtgs7
P90X2: $119.85->$49.95 http://bit.ly/1tIY1Mo
Les Mills Pump: $165.95->$66.95 http://bit.ly/1hzACgO
Asylum vol 1: $89.85->$56.00 http://bit.ly/1lze6BF

Here's a link to all the sale items.

I already ordered Les Mills Pump + the Step with 4 risers!
I ordered Combat yesterday... and I just went back and ordered Pump. That's the best kind of impulse buy, though, right? :)

$90 for two complete programs plus all necessary equipment is just amazing, though. That Pump set DOES include the barbell and weights, right? It's almost hard to believe at that price.

Thanks again for posting this, Steve; I wouldn't have caught it otherwise.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Yeah, Pump comes with the barbell, clips & some plates. Normally it's aboit $100 more, so its a great deal!

I also got another 25% off from my Coach discount, so it was only about $50 for me :)

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Insanity Max:30 is available today!
Details:
- 60 day workout program
- 5 days on, 2 days off per week
- 30 minute workouts (plus a couple shorter ones)
- Includes a "modifier track" so that you can view someone doing modified versions of the exercises for the entirety of each workout

Kits:
Base Package: $119.85
Includes 12 workouts:
- CARDIO CHALLENGE 30 minutes of the hardest cardio sequences ever. Welcome to INSANITY MAX:30.
- TABATA POWER Strength training starts here with traditional Tabata-style "20 seconds on, 10 seconds off" workout structure.
- SWEAT INTERVALS Just in case Cardio Challenge wasn't hard enough, Sweat Intervals has 30 minutes of screaming, sweating, calorie-scorching madness.
- TABATA STRENGTH Shaun T takes it up a notch in this NO REST, Tabata-style strength workout. That's right…30 minutes, no rest.
- FRIDAY FIGHT: ROUND 1 It's a battle between the mind pushing to a new Max and the body saying "OMG, you can't be serious?" And this is just Round 1.
- MAX OUT: CARDIO This may be the craziest cardio workout ever. Just wait till the first Power Move. What minute is the Maxing Out at now?
- MAX OUT POWER The intervals are longer in this "45 seconds on, 15 seconds off" Tabata-style plyometric power madness.
- MAX OUT SWEAT The more minutes, the more sweat and the more calories burned. - MAX OUT Sweat defines the meaning of "twice the sweat in half the time".
- MAX OUT STRENGTH Arms, shoulders, chest, and core will be toast after this upper-body-focused, "45 seconds on, 15 seconds off" Tabata-style routine.
- FRIDAY FIGHT: ROUND 2 The new "hardest workout ever." Every move is a minute in this final fight between body and mind. Who's going to win?
- PULSE Shaun's version of a recovery workout, this is a low-impact combo of stretching and small "pulsing" movements that will make anyone feel the burn.
- AB ATTACK: 10 This 10-minute routine will feel like an attack on the abs, but everyone loves the rock-hard results.
Plus a bonus 30 minute workout, Sweat Fest (no description yet)

Deluxe Package: $239.70
Includes everything in the Base Kit plus:
- MAX OUT: 15 Just as intense as the 30 minute workouts, but at least it's half the time! This is 15 minutes of insane cardio, Shaun T style.
- MAX OUT ABS You'll alternate between seated and standing moves with 15 minutes of crazy core work that will MAX OUT your abs.
- 360 ABS A 360-degree attack on the abs and core...on the floor, in plank, and more!
- Core Comfort Mat
- 7 portion control containers
- Shakeology Shaker Cup
- Body fat calipers
- 7 day Ab Maximizer workout plan

Challenge Pack: normally $205, on sale in December for $180
- Includes the Base Package plus Shakeology in the flavor of your choice on home direct auto ship.

Infinity

I'm on "Day 3" of my P90X3 Mass victory week.

I've put on maybe 4 pounds with this - measurements have increased slightly - clothes still fit the same although a little tighter around the shoulders.

I feel like with this program, I have lost a little cardio conditioning.

Thinking about that next program already...

Ixian

Looking forward to your thoughts on Insanity Max, Steve. I love weight lifting, but sometimes...

2ab.gif

J. Bravo

I have in front of me the following discs: Insanity Cardio Recovery/Max Recovery and Core Cardio/Balance; P90X X Stretch, Ab Ripper X, and Yoga X. I'm looking for a routine that helps improve mobility, recovery, and core strength. Based off the names of the discs, I would do the Cardio/Max Recovery, some of X Stretch, and Ab Ripper X.

I'm interested to hear your opinions though, since I haven't done any of the works out in a long ass time. I mostly lift heavy and am looking for something to do on my off days to expedite recovery, as well as improves my flexibility and core strength. Thanks.

Pyrokai

Well I've definitely been doing something differently....

I started Body Beast and I'm currently finishing up Phase 1. It was supposed to be 3 weeks, but due to being pretty damn busy, I had to stretch it over 4 weeks.

So I start Phase 2 on Thursday. I have two more workouts of Phase 1 remaining.

What I've done Wrong:

1. I haven't followed the diet aside from getting enough protein because I just wanted to make sure I was eating enough....so I've literally eaten like a pig. I think it's helped me in some aspects, honestly. I have a feeling I'm a somewhat of a hard-gainer, but I don't know for sure.
2. I haven't done NEARLY enough cardio. Again, I'm afraid of sacrificing gains...but I'm pretty sure I'm gaining too much fat.

What I'm going to do for Phase 2:

1. Continue bringing it as hard as I can during workouts. "Whatever it takes!"
2. Follow the diet this time. If I feel like I need to eat more, I'll up it a bit, but I really need to start following the diet.
3. Get some cardio in. This is going to be tough. This workout is already long and hard, and my body is totally wiped out and sore. I'm particularly concerned about this one. I think I've already lost my cardio conditioning....how can I get it back without overdoing it during a time I'm trying to gain muscle mass? I don't know what the correct balance here is....

Any tips or suggestions?

Edit: I also took advantage of that Black Friday deal and got P90X2 :> . Probably not going to do that one for a while, though.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Well I've definitely been doing something differently....

I started Body Beast and I'm currently finishing up Phase 1. It was supposed to be 3 weeks, but due to being pretty damn busy, I had to stretch it over 4 weeks.

So I start Phase 2 on Thursday. I have two more workouts of Phase 1 remaining.

What I've done Wrong:

1. I haven't followed the diet aside from getting enough protein because I just wanted to make sure I was eating enough....so I've literally eaten like a pig. I think it's helped me in some aspects, honestly. I have a feeling I'm a somewhat of a hard-gainer, but I don't know for sure.
2. I haven't done NEARLY enough cardio. Again, I'm afraid of sacrificing gains...but I'm pretty sure I'm gaining too much fat.

What I'm going to do for Phase 2:

1. Continue bringing it as hard as I can during workouts. "Whatever it takes!"
2. Follow the diet this time. If I feel like I need to eat more, I'll up it a bit, but I really need to start following the diet.
3. Get some cardio in. This is going to be tough. This workout is already long and hard, and my body is totally wiped out and sore. I'm particularly concerned about this one. I think I've already lost my cardio conditioning....how can I get it back without overdoing it during a time I'm trying to gain muscle mass? I don't know what the correct balance here is....

Any tips or suggestions?

Edit: I also took advantage of that Black Friday deal and got P90X2 :> . Probably not going to do that one for a while, though.

Well I dunno, what do you want exactly? Gain muscle mass or cardio? If you try to have both, you'll end up somewhere in the middle and might be disappointed with the end result.

Pyrokai

Well I dunno, what do you want exactly? Gain muscle mass or cardio? If you try to have both, you'll end up somewhere in the middle and might be disappointed with the end result.

Well, I guess both? I'd like to have more mass than I currently do (I'm not looking to get HUGE, here, but I'm looking for a very muscularly lean body, I guess), and I'm just not sure if I should worry about losing the fat later and focus on putting on muscle right now or if it's something that should be done somewhat simultaneously. If I continue doing what I'm doing now--which is eating the right amount of protein in addition to basically anything else I want within the realm of sanity--I'm worried I'm just going to get fat instead of big. Does that make sense? The question I keep asking myself--because I know I'm gaining weight--is this: "Am I getting big or am I getting fat?" I believe there is a difference and I can't tell--yet--where I'm at.

I'm also pretty sure I'm overthinking all of this. I honestly feel I'm in information overload and I don't know how to sort it all. Today I was reading about the difference between complete and incomplete proteins, which I wasn't aware existed, honestly. Just an example of something new I seemingly learn every few days that complicates everything, lol.

Tash

Well, I guess both? I'd like to have more mass than I currently do (I'm not looking to get HUGE, here, but I'm looking for a very muscularly lean body, I guess), and I'm just not sure if I should worry about losing the fat later and focus on putting on muscle right now or if it's something that should be done somewhat simultaneously. If I continue doing what I'm doing now--which is eating the right amount of protein in addition to basically anything else I want within the realm of sanity--I'm worried I'm just going to get fat instead of big. Does that make sense? The question I keep asking myself--because I know I'm gaining weight--is this: "Am I getting big or am I getting fat?" I believe there is a difference and I can't tell--yet--where I'm at.

I'm also pretty sure I'm overthinking all of this. I honestly feel I'm in information overload and I don't know how to sort it all. Today I was reading about the difference between complete and incomplete proteins, which I wasn't aware existed, honestly. Just an example of something new I seemingly learn every few days that complicates everything, lol.

"both" never really works. You can't gain muscles AND really work on cardio the same time. Or what a lot of people are trying to do: Gains and wanting to lean out the same time to make sure you see those abs.

So, keep working on gains but interrupt it with periods of "leaning out". For gains you do need to eat a lot (but yeah, also eat proper proteins and proper fat - it's however not possible to NOT also add fat in those phases). The nutrition plans really help so you should seriously stick to them. P90X Phase 1 nutrition is pretty much an extrem slim down.

Another problem is that those bodies you see in the beachbody commercials or on fitness magazines are not like that 24/7. They are basically getting rid of all water and prepare only for those shoots (think the biggest loser final weigh ins). It's also incredibly hard and not really healthy to maintain a figure like that at all times (just to put it into perspective a bit).

From my experience, Programs such as Body Beast, P90X are good for muscle gains (P90X if you do heavy weights and low reps, of course) and Shaun T's programs are good for cardio, slimming down and uncovering those muscles you gained with other programs.

Ie. I did P90X first then Isanity but I actually just got thinner while doing insanity, not stronger.

Doing the "leaning out" after the "gaining" part WILL cost you a bit of muscles mass, too.

Pyrokai

Hey, thanks for the advice, guys. Really helps a lot. I guess I will continue to not worry about losing my "cardio conditioning" and focus on gains for the moment. Maybe I'll do cardio only once a week like instructed, but I'll try to make it count.

One real quick question, though...and that's this part of your response: "Doing the 'leaning out' after the 'gaining' part WILL cost you a bit of muscles mass, too." and the bit you mentioned about the Phase 1 of P90X diet guide is basically an extreme slim down. I've often wondered......if you did one month of Insanity using the phase 1 diet of P90X, how would that end up? I'm sure you'd lose a ton of weight, but because 50% of your diet is protein, would you lose that much muscle still?

For the record, I'm not going to do that. It sounds dangerous. But I was just curious.

Tash

Hey, thanks for the advice, guys. Really helps a lot. I guess I will continue to not worry about losing my "cardio conditioning" and focus on gains for the moment. Maybe I'll do cardio only once a week like instructed, but I'll try to make it count.

One real quick question, though...and that's this part of your response: "Doing the 'leaning out' after the 'gaining' part WILL cost you a bit of muscles mass, too." and the bit you mentioned about the Phase 1 of P90X diet guide is basically an extreme slim down. I've often wondered......if you did one month of Insanity using the phase 1 diet of P90X, how would that end up? I'm sure you'd lose a ton of weight, but because 50% of your diet is protein, would you lose that much muscle still?

For the record, I'm not going to do that. It sounds dangerous. But I was just curious.

I think the bigger problem would be with "bonking". I don't think you would have close to enough energy/carbs to make it properly through the workout without totally crashing.
The three phases in P90X really are to prepare you. When you start P90X you most likely won't be able to get through all the exercises properly. You won't have a lot of load and you most likely will also do a lot of adjustments (ie. assisted pull-ups, knee push-ups etc), which means less strain in your body while you learn the moves and get used to them. That means you won't have that much need for the extra energy in the first phase. That's also the reason the Phase 2 and 3 Diets for P90X introduce carbs back once you are past that phase.

Insanity burns a lot due to the HIIT Approach and you will have to make sure to eat enough and the proper micro nutrients to really get the most out of it.
Theoretically it's possible and it's what probably some of those Cover Athletes do but like you said, I think it's dangerous and also, as pointed out, I don't think it's easy to do.

Bollocks

Is Insanity Max 30 out yet?
I thought it was supposed to come out last week but don't see it on their site.

e: nvm apparently it comes out tomorrow.

stoked for it, could be the sweet spot I was looking for.
with my work schedule doing insanity doesn't leave me with much spare time and T25 wasn't pushing it enough for my liking, hope this one really is Insanity in a 30 minute package

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Is Insanity Max 30 out yet?
I thought it was supposed to come out last week but don't see it on their site.

e: nvm apparently it comes out tomorrow.

stoked for it, could be the sweet spot I was looking for.
with my work schedule doing insanity doesn't leave me with much spare time and T25 wasn't pushing it enough for my liking, hope this one really is Insanity in a 30 minute package

Scroll up, an earlier post of mine has purchase links.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
There is no international shipping for these, right?

I'm not sure. I do know it's only available (so far) through TeamBeachbody.com -- I'm guessing you already checked that? I'll check around & see if I can find out when it might be available for international shipping.

Top Bottom