• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I was going to do X Stretch yesterday, but my hike went long, and then after the hike I ended up at my friend's house playing board games until almost midnight, so I just went to sleep when I got home. Today will be my rest day, and today I will do X Stretch.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Some more details on Beachbody On Demand:

- On Demand will be accessible for no additional charge to TeamBeachbody Club Members. Click to join or upgrade.
- Club membership is currently $38.87 per quarter, billed quarterly. At this point there are no plans to increase this price, though it may go up in the future.
- Other benefits of Club Membership (10% discount on all Beachbody items, access to meal plans, other exclusive videos) still apply
- Club members will have unlimited access to the available videos when they log in. There'll be a "Start Streaming" tab.
- Here are the workout programs that'll be available for unlimited access at the start: P90X, P90X2, P90X3, Insanity, Ten Minute Trainer, ChaLEAN Extreme, Asylum Vol 1, Tony One-on-One (vol 1) and Hip Hop Abs.
- Additionally, there'll be sample workouts from other programs available to "try before you buy".
- Starts this Spring sometime.

Here's the complete FAQ on the subject.

Sounds like a great deal. Club was worth the price before if you bought a lot from Beachbody, particularly supplements or Shakeology because of the 10% discount, but now it'll be a no-brainer. You'll be able to stream the workouts to your mobile devices while on vacation (assuming a good connection) which is really handy!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
- Here are the workout programs that'll be available for unlimited access at the start: P90X, P90X2, P90X3, Insanity, Les Mills Pump, Les Mills Combat, Ten Minute Trainer, ChaLEAN Extreme, Asylum Vol 1, Tony One-on-One (vol 1) and Hip Hop Abs.

Weird that they skipped Body Beast, considering Sagi was featured in that first video. Guess they could add it later though. Other than that, pretty good selection there.

Tash

I wonder if the IP restrict the streaming so it's only available in the US and Canada.
edit: oh, it says you can stream internationally, so it should be possible. Just need a sneaky Canada or US resident address to sign up for the club as non US or non Canada resident..

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Apparently the On Demand workout list is subject to change. Looks like there won't be a "final" list until launch. I'll keep you all posted.

Pyrokai

Omg, I'm so excited! I will GLADLY pay for that service, especially if they add more routines. Would love to see most of their stuff on there. That would be so awesome. Pretty much exactly what I've wanted from them.

And I could probably one halfsies with my sister. So excited! C'moooon Body Beast :p

Hey dudes, I'm really out of shape, I'm 1.74m tall, weighting 80kg. Although that doesn't sound bad, I'm a wimp, so a lot of that weight is due to body fat (I'm like 15kg overweight, compared to some years ago)

I want to loose the excess fat (manboobs) and tone my body if possible. So I'm looking into doing the T25 workout routines before going to work.

Is the deluxe set in Amazon worth it? At $274 I find it rather expensive, and I don't know it's better to everything separately (base + Gamma + mat + dumbbell or band kit).

I'd be grateful is someone could give me some advice :).

P.S.: Is T25 OK for a beginner? I don't have much time for doing a daily 90 minute workout.

Rest

All these years later I still chuckle at what a fucking moron that guy is.
I'd only had 2lb, 3lb, 5lb, and 10 lb dumbbells, so I got 15s, 20s, and 25s over the weekend to enhance what I'm doing in P90-X. I'm seeing that my tricepses are quite a bit stronger than the average, at least according to Tony Horton. I'm able to do pretty much all of the triceps exercises that he says to do with less weight with the 20 and 25lb weights. My bicepses aren't as strong though, and I feel I'll be working up to lifting those weights comfortably for a few weeks at least.

The six weights I just bought I had planned to be my heaviest weights for a while, but I'm seeing I'm going to need 30s and maybe even 35s sooner than I thought.

Last night was Shoulders and Arms, and I'm still feeling out exactly what weights and what rep goals I need for all the exercises. As I said, my tricepses are pretty strong, and I can use 25s for almost every one of the triceps exercises. The biggest exception though is the Flip Grip Triceps Kickbacks. With 15s I can't really keep form, but the 10s are a little too light I think. When I bought my weights I was planning on getting 12lb weights, but nixed the idea at the register. Now I'm thinking I should get some after all. I have misgivings about that though, it seems like a bit of a waste to spend money on weights that I want for only one exercise.

I've done Shoulders and Arms twice now, and I've wondered a bit about Chair Dips, as it seems like I can do a lot of them for someone who's in the shape that I'm in. I've never really done chair dips before, but both nights my first set has been in the 25 range and my second in the 20 range. I realized though that the chair I'm using has arms on it, so I'm wondering what difference that makes. I still get low into the dip, but does having my hands higher up on the arms make them easier? Should I get an armless chair?

Is the deluxe set in Amazon worth it? At $274 I find it rather expensive, and I don't know it's better to everything separately (base + Gamma + mat + dumbbell or band kit).

P.S.: Is T25 OK for a beginner? I don't have much time for doing a daily 90 minute workout.

I'd personally just buy the absolute minimum and get the bands / mat separate. Plus this new subscription thing might work out for you. There may also be offers on the beachbody site, it happens from time to time.

I've never done T25, but supposedly it has "alternate" versions for if you're not particularly fit.

I've done Shoulders and Arms twice now, and I've wondered a bit about Chair Dips, as it seems like I can do a lot of them for someone who's in the shape that I'm in. I've never really done chair dips before, but both nights my first set has been in the 25 range and my second in the 20 range. I realized though that the chair I'm using has arms on it, so I'm wondering what difference that makes. I still get low into the dip, but does having my hands higher up on the arms make them easier? Should I get an armless chair?
I just tried both, the ones where my grip was lower were harder. However, you don't have to get an armless chair, you could raise your legs... but they get crazy hard to do after only a few.

I'd personally just buy the absolute minimum and get the bands / mat separate. Plus this new subscription thing might work out for you. There may also be offers on the beachbody site, it happens from time to time.

I've never done T25, but supposedly it has "alternate" versions for if you're not particularly fit.

Thanks for the advice.

What about drinking Shakeology? Anyone does that?

The online sub will be perfect. Allows for great custom workouts.

Got myself upto 15pullips and 40pushups on the p90x3 challenge.

Need to beat the guy in the video who shoots for 18though.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Thanks for the advice.

What about drinking Shakeology? Anyone does that?

I've been drinking Shakeology for nearly 2 years now. I love it, particularly the non-vegan Chocolate, though the non-vegan Vanilla and Strawberry are good, too. I haven't tried Greenberry except for one time at a Coaches' event, and the person who made it put in a VERY unripe banana so that's all I tasted. The vegan flavors are OK, they're just not as good as the non-vegan.

Shakeology is my breakfast. I make it with crushed ice, a little bit of milk & water, and then the ingredients I add vary wildly. At least part of a banana is very common, and I also like to add blueberries or blackberries. Almond butter or raw nuts (almonds, walnuts, pecans, pistachios) are good too. There's a bunch of recipes online, and when you get your monthly shipment there's a recipe card included. I no longer take a multivitamin since starting Shakeology, although I do take several other supplements daily. One unexpected thing both my wife & I noticed (she drinks it too) is that our hair & nails grow faster and are more robust. I think it's due to the biotin in it.

I noticed you used the metric system for your weight & height -- note that if you're in Europe, Shakeology is not available, but it is available in Canada.

If you're interested in trying it, you can order a Shakeology Taste Sampler, which includes 4 packets of either vegan or non-vegan flavors. The non-vegan sampler comes with one each of chocolate, strawberry, vanilla and greenberry, while the vegan sampler comes with two vegan chocolate, and two vegan "tropical strawberry". It's $19.95 plus shipping.

You can also go to my Shakeology website to learn more about it, or if you have any specific questions just post or message me & I'll be happy to answer.

cutting down on carbs again and taking in more protein.

one day at a time.

Been doing T25 alpha for the longest and i'm like why. lol. Beta? probably time. I most likely won't get Gamma because it's more weight intensive? lol.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Thanks. What's the shortest period you can sign up for Team Beachbody?

I'd like to give it a try on a trial basis.

I don't think there's a minimum time for Club membership. You can upgrade at any time, and you should be able to contact customer support & cancel Club membership at any time, too. They're usually pretty responsive about things like that. Nice thing is, cancelling Club would just downgrade you back to a standard TeamBeachbody.com membership, so you could upgrade again at any time if you wanted.

LaneDS

Second week almost done after a three month no exercise plus poor diet break and I'm laying on my yoga mat after legs and back X1. That workout is such a monster. Upped or met all of last week's numbers so that's good but I'm wiped now.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I've reached a point where I'm not even starting some of the workout videos anymore, I've done them so many times I already know them by heart (like Bulk Arms and Bulk Legs for example). The advantage being I can choose my own workout music... and turn off the tv and see my own reflection in it to make sure my form is good. lol

Second week almost done after a three month no exercise plus poor diet break and I'm laying on my yoga mat after legs and back X1. That workout is such a monster. Upped or met all of last week's numbers so that's good but I'm wiped now.

Nice job. Keep at it. :)

Wellscha

P90X GAF, I need your help. I'm a 6'2 morbidly obese (300+ lbs) 30 years old man who's been morbidly obese his whole life. I started P90X3 2 weeks ago and I gave it my 110%, followed the meal plan to the T ( measure every ounce, cook an entire week's worth of meals) and I cut the bad stuff out of my diet, no pop, alcohol, comfort/junk food, and I never had a cheat meal at all. Yet, I can't do I single pull up or a push up, even after pushing myself to the breaking point. I didn't even lose a single ounce of weight at all. I slightly feel more energetic, my back pain is almost gone, and walking around campus is a breeze compared to before. But I'm still the fat guy I was before, nobody notices that I've working out for a while, and heck, I met my dad yesterday and he told me "you need to do something about your beer gut".

What the heck am I doing wrong?!

Sorry about the rant, I had the get this stuff out of my chest.

LaneDS

P90X GAF, I need your help. I'm a 6'2 morbidly obese (300+ lbs) 30 years old man who's been morbidly obese his whole life. I started P90X3 2 weeks ago and I gave it my 110%, followed the meal plan to the T ( measure every ounce, cook an week's worth of meals) and I cut the bad stuff out of my diet, no pop, alcohol, comfort/junk food, and I never had a cheat meal at all. Yet, I can't do I single pull up or a push up, even after pushing myself to the breaking point. I didn't even lose a single ounce of weight at all. I slightly feel more energetic, my back pain is almost gone, and walking around campus is a breeze compared to before. But I'm still the fat guy I was before, nobody notices that I've working out for a while, and heck, I met my dad yesterday and he told me "you need to do something about your beer gut".

First of all, good on you for trying to do something to better yourself. Guess what? You're on the right track.

Secondly, it was two weeks. You're going to have to mentally readjust your expectations a bit to understand that it's going to be something you have to work on for a long time (months or even years) to really get to where I imagine you want yourself to be. Now when I say that, I don't mean you'll have to do P90X3 equivalent stuff day in and day out for the rest of your life but I do mean that you'll have to commit to making good changes for yourself in terms of diet and exercise on a long term basis. You can work on that little by little and look for week over week improvements... it's very rare for anyone to cold turkey just change their whole lifestyle and find that works for them with no issues. I'm a big proponent of making small workable changes to iterate on your lifestyle until you get to something workable and effective for you.

Third, it sounds like you're actually getting some great results in only two weeks! Back pain going away? That's awesome. Moving around more easily? Also great. One thing that people often don't know is that when you start routines like this sometimes your weight doesn't go down immediately because you might be building muscle at a rate faster than you're losing fat. Muscle weighs more than fat. Based on you saying all those positive health effects are happening, I'd wager that's the case for you. That muscle will continue to grow and will help your body burn off fat. Ignore the scale. Focus on how you feel. Keep working at it. Bodies are also pretty keen on losing fat in the trouble areas (gut, thighs) last, so just know your gut might be one of the last things to get smaller.

Don't beat yourself up and keep at it. Try not to freak yourself out and take breaks where you need to. If you really stick to that diet and that schedule, you'll get the results you need.

Oh, and since I forgot, are you modifying on push-ups? Like, on your knees? Keep trying. It'll happen for you. For pull-ups, those might come a little later, but you can use a chair or a pull-up assist to make it easier for you to do one (or more). Give yourself more time and give your body the proper protein and rest it needs to build up all that muscle you're working for.

Lastly, good luck! I think you're doing a good thing, and I bet most here would agree, so keep at it!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Wellscha -- congratulations on getting started! It's a step most people never take.

And definitely don't worry about not being able to do pull-ups or push-ups. I weigh about 174, and I doubt I could do a single pull-up with 136 lbs extra weight strapped on. Not even close.

I'd recommend getting some resistance bands and with a door strap. These will allow you to build up the same muscles. Eventually as you get stronger and lose weight, you'll get there! But you can't start "at the top" as they say. Pull-ups are hard enough even for the very fit & strong.

As far as push-ups go, do them on your knees. You'll dramati cut down on the strength required. Eventually, start adding in a rep or two on your toes, and over time you'll find yourself doing entire sets that way.

Just stick with it, and be patient. Fitness is a journey!

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
P90X GAF, I need your help. I'm a 6'2 morbidly obese (300+ lbs) 30 years old man who's been morbidly obese his whole life. I started P90X3 2 weeks ago and I gave it my 110%, followed the meal plan to the T ( measure every ounce, cook an entire week's worth of meals) and I cut the bad stuff out of my diet, no pop, alcohol, comfort/junk food, and I never had a cheat meal at all. Yet, I can't do I single pull up or a push up, even after pushing myself to the breaking point. I didn't even lose a single ounce of weight at all. I slightly feel more energetic, my back pain is almost gone, and walking around campus is a breeze compared to before. But I'm still the fat guy I was before, nobody notices that I've working out for a while, and heck, I met my dad yesterday and he told me "you need to do something about your beer gut".

I understand your frustration. But based on how you seem to feel, not what other people seem to think about you, it sounds like you're doing great and are definitely on the right track. Keep in mind, you're only TWO weeks in and already feeling better.
And as others have said already, don't get too hung up on the push-up/pull-up numbers. Modify if needed, just do what you can.
When I started working out I was in fairly good shape (for someone who never worked out before), but after 2-3 months I could only manage like 1 or 2 pull-ups still. It took me a lot of time to reach past that point, but I did. Just give it time and I'm confident you'll get there. And if you need support, you can always turn to this thread!

25 full range pullups and 100 pushups completed. Those were 2 of my 3 fitness goals for 2015. last one is a sub 6:00min mile.

For fun, I did the insanity fit test out of the blue last night after not having done insanity in about 1.5years now. I was pretty happy with the outcome.

LaneDS

25 full range pullups and 100 pushups completed. Those were 2 of my 3 fitness goals for 2015. last one is a sub 6:00min mile.

For fun, I did the insanity fit test out of the blue last night after not having done insanity in about 1.5years now. I was pretty happy with the outcome.

Congrats! It's early enough in the year I think you should challenge yourself to two higher goals. Or I'll do it for you: 35 pull-ups and 150 push-ups (which sounds awesome).

I'll aim for what you just did by years end, 25 and 100. I think the most I've ever done is like 40-50 push-ups and maybe 14 push-ups, but presently I'm nowhere close to even that.

I got to 50 on that do 100 challenge... and then sort of thought to myself that I was wasting a ton of time on something entirely meaningless, so stopped.

If I had the time now (and was 10 years younger) I'd love to learn how to do some of the stuff the barstarzz guys do. Now that's impressive.

Tash

Totally agree with what everyone said already :)
One more thing: when you start a workout regime, that's hard on your body its first response is to protect itself from the stress. It's a complex process but in short, your body retains water to try to heal (it has also directly to do with cortisol levels). It takes a bit of time to get through this phase (for me it took more than a month when I first started p90x. As a matter of fact, it lead me to fresknoutcandcstopvseveral time because I thought I was gaining weight and my pants wouldn't fit any more. Pushing through this in the end was amazing :)

You are doing great, keep noticing the little improvements and everything else will improve, too :)

Congrats! It's early enough in the year I think you should challenge yourself to two higher goals. Or I'll do it for you: 35 pull-ups and 150 push-ups (which sounds awesome).

I'll aim for what you just did by years end, 25 and 100. I think the most I've ever done is like 40-50 push-ups and maybe 14 push-ups, but presently I'm nowhere close to even that.

ha! Those were the next milestones I had in mind but it'll be tough esp on the pushups. That's a large jump. We'll see.

To get to where I am at, I started doing this:

4 x 8 sets of pullups alternating with 4 x 25 sets of pullups 3 times a week.I knew this was a good starting point having done X3 already.
Set 1: 8 pullups, 25 regular push ups
Set 2: 8 chinups, 25 military push ups
Set 3: 8 hammer grip pullups, 25 wide push ups
Set 4: 8 vaulter pullups (4 each side), 26 staggered pullups (13 each side)

Rest is 1 min for the first 2 sets. Upto 2 mins for the last 2. 1 set = round of pushups and pullups.

My goal was to make sure I work the different muscles and angles to even out growth so it doesn't look stupid.

Each week, I added a couple of more pullups and additional pushups until I was at 15 pullups and 40 pushups per set with only a 1 min break.

I do a squat and plank workout as part of this also if you want to know those thus it's a full body workout. Don't do it more than 3 times a week. You'll over train. The other 3 days I use random P90X3 workouts depending on what area I want to focus on. I take atleast 1 day off per week but will sometimes take 2 or 3 depending on how beaten up I feel.

LaneDS

ha! Those were the next milestones I had in mind but it'll be tough esp on the pushups. That's a large jump. We'll see.

To get to where I am at, I started doing this:

4 x 8 sets of pullups alternating with 4 x 25 sets of pullups 3 times a week.I knew this was a good starting point having done X3 already.
Set 1: 8 pullups, 25 regular push ups
Set 2: 8 chinups, 25 military push ups
Set 3: 8 hammer grip pullups, 25 wide push ups
Set 4: 8 vaulter pullups (4 each side), 26 staggered pullups (13 each side)

Rest is 1 min for the first 2 sets. Upto 2 mins for the last 2. 1 set = round of pushups and pullups.

My goal was to make sure I work the different muscles and angles to even out growth so it doesn't look stupid.

Each week, I added a couple of more pullups and additional pushups until I was at 15 pullups and 40 pushups per set with only a 1 min break.

I do a squat and plank workout as part of this also if you want to know those thus it's a full body workout. Don't do it more than 3 times a week. You'll over train. The other 3 days I use random P90X3 workouts depending on what area I want to focus on. I take atleast 1 day off per week but will sometimes take 2 or 3 depending on how beaten up I feel.

Think I'm going to print that out at work tomorrow and modify slightly (can't do hammer grip where I'm at) and try to do hit similar numbers, as that seems like a good plan (proven out by you hitting your goal). For now will try to integrate those goals into the X1 rotation I'm doing which is basically me doing three lifting days, one yoga day, and a few go outside and run (slowly) days, but that should fit in with at least two of the three workouts I'm doing lately (chest and back plus legs and back).

Good job again on hitting those numbers!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Les Mills Pump update! Started Week 5 this morning, which is the last week of Phase One: "Te Wero", which is Maori for "The Challenge", and it kicked off with the first new workout since Week 2: "Pump and Shred".

This is structured similarly to the previous go-to workout "Pump and Burn", in that there are multiple blocks targeting specific muscle groups.

Pump and Shred is around 45 minutes. It starts out with a warmup done at a light weight on the bar (I used 10lbs plates). The warmup includes deadlifts, deadlift rows, shoulder presses, squats and lunges. Haven't had to do lunges under weight since Week 2, in the beginner "Pump Challenge" workout where the track is pretty short. The warmup's a bit under 5 minutes.

Then come the working tracks. Each track in LMP targets a specific muscle group. They are divided up into "laps" of about 60-90 seconds each, and sometimes you get a quick recovery break before the final "lap". The laps generally start out slowly and build up in intensity. Every track is accompanied by music (covers of pop songs for the most part), and you do the moves to the beat of the music. Within a lap you'll typically start out with a 4 down, 4 up count, progress to 2 & 2, then 3 & 1, then "singles". Some of the movements will have you hold at the bottom for 2 beats, then raise for 2, and you'll also do "bottom halves", where you go to the bottom, pulse up half way, go back down, and then either repeat that 4x or stand up depending on the trainer's instructions.

In Pump & Shred, the tracks are all about 5 minutes long, and they are:

1. Squats. Lots & lots of squats, omg. About 2/3 through they switch to a wider stance.
2. Chest. I use my weight bench; most of the trainers are on the floor but a couple are on "step" risers that you can optionally buy with the program. If you're on the floor you're instructed not to let your elbows touch the floor. Obviously a bench is preferred as you'll get a greater range of motion. The killer about this track is that after you've pretty much exhausted your chest, they have you put the bar down & do wide pushups. Ho lee crap.
3. Back & legs. This one has deadlifts (you only go to your kneecaps, though), deadlift rows (start with a deadlift dropping the bar to your knees, raise the bar along your legs to your waist, shoulders pointed backwards), clean & press (which they go through great pains to demonstrate & reinforce proper form) -- and these are usually followed by a single deadlift row, and wide rows.
4. Legs. Yeah so finally lunges are back in the picture. You do a "lap" of lunges on one leg, then some squats (for "recovery"), another lap of lunges on the other leg, and finish up with more squats. This one was really tough.
5. Abs. Started out in low plank (or what they call "hover position"), then it's wax on, wax off with alternating hands, trying to keep your torso & legs completely still. Harder than it sounds. After that it's a bunch of crunches with different tempos, followed by some oblique work. Not the toughest ab workout but it was decent.
6. Stretch. A series of much-needed muscle-lengthening stretches.

Oh, and there's a SUPER brief cooldown in between each track, with a few dynamic stretches to shake things loose and just enough time to change weights.

This program is fantastic. I highly recommend it. Starting next Monday is Phase Two: Panoni ("The Change"). Pump & Shred is done 3X in that first week, and two more new workouts (Pump Extreme and Pump Revolution) get rotated in after that. Both of those workouts are 55 minutes.

Wellscha

First of all, good on you for trying to do something to better yourself. Guess what? You're on the right track.

Secondly, it was two weeks. You're going to have to mentally readjust your expectations a bit to understand that it's going to be something you have to work on for a long time (months or even years) to really get to where I imagine you want yourself to be. Now when I say that, I don't mean you'll have to do P90X3 equivalent stuff day in and day out for the rest of your life but I do mean that you'll have to commit to making good changes for yourself in terms of diet and exercise on a long term basis. You can work on that little by little and look for week over week improvements... it's very rare for anyone to cold turkey just change their whole lifestyle and find that works for them with no issues. I'm a big proponent of making small workable changes to iterate on your lifestyle until you get to something workable and effective for you.

Third, it sounds like you're actually getting some great results in only two weeks! Back pain going away? That's awesome. Moving around more easily? Also great. One thing that people often don't know is that when you start routines like this sometimes your weight doesn't go down immediately because you might be building muscle at a rate faster than you're losing fat. Muscle weighs more than fat. Based on you saying all those positive health effects are happening, I'd wager that's the case for you. That muscle will continue to grow and will help your body burn off fat. Ignore the scale. Focus on how you feel. Keep working at it. Bodies are also pretty keen on losing fat in the trouble areas (gut, thighs) last, so just know your gut might be one of the last things to get smaller.

Don't beat yourself up and keep at it. Try not to freak yourself out and take breaks where you need to. If you really stick to that diet and that schedule, you'll get the results you need.

Oh, and since I forgot, are you modifying on push-ups? Like, on your knees? Keep trying. It'll happen for you. For pull-ups, those might come a little later, but you can use a chair or a pull-up assist to make it easier for you to do one (or more). Give yourself more time and give your body the proper protein and rest it needs to build up all that muscle you're working for.

Lastly, good luck! I think you're doing a good thing, and I bet most here would agree, so keep at it!

Took me about a year to do a pull up. I'm still shit at them.

Wellscha -- congratulations on getting started! It's a step most people never take.

And definitely don't worry about not being able to do pull-ups or push-ups. I weigh about 174, and I doubt I could do a single pull-up with 136 lbs extra weight strapped on. Not even close.

I'd recommend getting some resistance bands and with a door strap. These will allow you to build up the same muscles. Eventually as you get stronger and lose weight, you'll get there! But you can't start "at the top" as they say. Pull-ups are hard enough even for the very fit & strong.

As far as push-ups go, do them on your knees. You'll dramati cut down on the strength required. Eventually, start adding in a rep or two on your toes, and over time you'll find yourself doing entire sets that way.

Just stick with it, and be patient. Fitness is a journey!

I understand your frustration. But based on how you seem to feel, not what other people seem to think about you, it sounds like you're doing great and are definitely on the right track. Keep in mind, you're only TWO weeks in and already feeling better.
And as others have said already, don't get too hung up on the push-up/pull-up numbers. Modify if needed, just do what you can.
When I started working out I was in fairly good shape (for someone who never worked out before), but after 2-3 months I could only manage like 1 or 2 pull-ups still. It took me a lot of time to reach past that point, but I did. Just give it time and I'm confident you'll get there. And if you need support, you can always turn to this thread!

Totally agree with what everyone said already :)
One more thing: when you start a workout regime, that's hard on your body its first response is to protect itself from the stress. It's a complex process but in short, your body retains water to try to heal (it has also directly to do with cortisol levels). It takes a bit of time to get through this phase (for me it took more than a month when I first started p90x. As a matter of fact, it lead me to fresknoutcandcstopvseveral time because I thought I was gaining weight and my pants wouldn't fit any more. Pushing through this in the end was amazing :)

You are doing great, keep noticing the little improvements and everything else will improve, too :)

Thanks for the kind words guys, I just don't know what to expect anymore. I'm in week 3, 1 week away from the second phase, and there's nothing I can objectively measure other than "oh hey I feel great!" and "No more back pain for me!". I know I have to focus on the positives, but it's really demoralizing when your 6'2 140 lbs best friend who could eat an elephant and has a diet consisting of beer, junk food, and ice cream do 4 pull ups and 10+ push ups.

I'm still going to stick to the program till the end. I started it and survived till the end of the 3rd week, might as well kill this motherfucker.

Think about it this way. When you're doing push ups and pull ups like that (and you will), you'll be SO MUCH stronger than your friend, because you've been working with a lot more weight.

LaneDS

Thanks for the kind words guys, I just don't know what to expect anymore. I'm in week 3, 1 week away from the second phase, and there's nothing I can objectively measure other than "oh hey I feel great!" and "No more back pain for me!". I know I have to focus on the positives, but it's really demoralizing when your 6'2 140 lbs best friend who could eat an elephant and has a diet consisting of beer, junk food, and ice cream do 4 pull ups and 10+ push ups.

I'm still going to stick to the program till the end. I started it and survived till the end of the 3rd week, might as well kill this motherfucker.

Glad you're sticking with it! I'm also almost done with week three after a few months off and my scale only dropped one pound after working really hard (4-5 days a week) and eating right 95% of the time. I feel much better and stronger, clothes fit better, and I just know that scale isn't a good indicator for me. I want the number to go down (and it will eventually, I promise you!) but know that it isn't the end all be all. Try to finish the program one time and see how you feel (and take some other measurements besides your weight if you can, to compare against if you think you'd find that helpful).

Wellscha

P90X GAF, I don't know what to say. I'm completely flabbergasted. I'm was doing the warrior workout, and I tried to do a full push up, I was able to go down 35% motion before my arms gave up! I'm speechless, I still can't do a full push up, but I'm getting there. WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!?!?
I tried doing push ups 2 days ago (The challenge) and I failed spectacularly!

Time to kill push ups like a motherfucking motherfucker!

P90X GAF, I don't know what to say. I'm completely flabbergasted. I'm was doing the warrior workout, and I tried to do a full push up, I was able to go down 35% motion before my arms gave up! I'm speechless, I still can't do a full push up, but I'm getting there. WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?!?!?
I tried doing push ups 2 days ago (The challenge) and I failed spectacularly!

Time to kill push ups like a motherfucking motherfucker!

TAKES TIME. YOU CAN DO IT. KEEP PUSHING.

AS FAR AS PUSHUPS GO. I WENT FROM DOING 3 TO DOING 40 SOMETHING.

Start on your knees my good man. Every exercise has a progression you can go through. Believe it or not, there's an easier one than on your knees too.

LaneDS

Also, do the chaturanga pose from yoga, or plank, and hold that pose as long as you can. I believe that has helped me in the past gain strength for push-ups when I find myself unable to actually do anymore (also good for the core muscles).

Time for legs & back week 3... I hate it, but I love it.

empyrean

Currently doing Insanity, seems to be working quite well, going to re-do this week though as i've only managed to do it 3 times so far :(.

Anyway, after Insanity I'm looking towards doing something like P90X not to 'bulk up' but to maybe get a bit more muscle after losing fat from Insanity. P90X3 is more appealing due to only 30 minute work outs compared to an hour or so for P90X. Anyone have any advice/comments on P90X or other similar workouts, i.e., would P90X give better results than P90X3 etc?

LaneDS

Legs & back (X1) complete for week three. Again met or beat all of my previous week numbers. Every time I do the workout it takes me about an hour and a half instead of an hour but I'm giving each exercise my best effort so I feel like that's a good trade off (and I am crushed from about midway through it).

LaneDS

Double posting, what's up.

I think I may spend more time sitting around in my workout clothes procrastinating my workout than I actually spend working out. Chest and back on deck.

Double posting, what's up.

I think I may spend more time sitting around in my workout clothes procrastinating my workout than I actually spend working out. Chest and back on deck.

been there. usually if i sit down for longer than a minute i tend not want to work out. so i quickly have to put on the video or i get bored lol

Top Bottom