• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

I'm on week 4 of P90X which means it's my first recovery week. I'm debating whether I should do it as written or throw in some resistance workouts. Core Synergistics sounds interesting, but the rest... :/

Any recommendations from the grads?

I'd say it depends on your fitness level. I was really out of shape when I started P90X, but I felt good so I didn't really take a recovery week. A couple weeks later though I felt like that was probably a bad idea, and I should have done a half week instead of a normal one. So for my second recovery week I more or less actually did it.

So YMMV.

lljride

Isn't the concept of recovery week essential to muscle confusion?

Not necessarily imo. As long as you switch your routine every few weeks (which you do already by going from phase to phase) you're getting the benefit of muscle confusion.

I agree with what optimalmace and OG Kush said. Rest is essential, but a full recovery week may not be. If you feel good you can probably skip it entirely, or shorten it to 3-4 days like I've been doing lately.

Probably wise to play it safe and take the full week if it's your first time through though.

It's not like you're taking the week off though. Yoga and Core Synergistics are quite effective workouts in their own right (as is Kenpo with wrist / ankle weights).

Not necessarily imo. As long as you switch your routine every few weeks (which you do already by going from phase to phase) you're getting the benefit of muscle confusion.

I agree with what optimalmace and OG Kush said. Rest is essential, but a full recovery week may not be. If you feel good you can probably skip it entirely, or shorten it to 3-4 days like I've been doing lately.

Probably wise to play it safe and take the full week if it's your first time through though.

How was your second recovery week (going into phase 3)? I remember coming out of the first one feeling almost like I completely restarted the routine - I had the renewed strength and stamina, but my muscles felt weak when lifting weights

I'm almost there for the second recovery week, and wondering if it will be the same lol

EasyMode

Thanks for the input guys. Even though I don't feel like I need a "rest", I'll play it safe and do the recovery week as is. Might as well finish my first P90X program by the book.

lljride

It's not like you're taking the week off though. Yoga and Core Synergistics are quite effective workouts in their own right (as is Kenpo with wrist / ankle weights).

That's true. I guess as I went on for me personally it felt like the recovery week time could be better spent by doing the normal routines.

How was your second recovery week (going into phase 3)? I remember coming out of the first one feeling almost like I completely restarted the routine - I had the renewed strength and stamina, but my muscles felt weak when lifting weights

Same here really. I remember thinking Chest and Back would be easy starting in Phase 3, but I got humbled real quick. I was ready to go and felt refreshed, but switching routines is tough regardless.

Going from Phase 2 to 3 in X2 completely wrecked my shit, just because PAP was so different from anything before it.

LaneDS

How much floor space is generally required to successfully complete the P90x workouts? I'm thinking the easiest thing I could do logistically is play the DVDs on my computer in my bedroom, where I have a bit of free floor space (and a doorway for the pull up bar & resistance band stuff). Will that be enough?

How much floor space is generally required to successfully complete the P90x workouts? I'm thinking the easiest thing I could do logistically is play the DVDs on my computer in my bedroom, where I have a bit of free floor space (and a doorway for the pull up bar & resistance band stuff). Will that be enough?
I'd say you want at least 2 meters by 2 meters. Arguably a little more for some of the Plyo and Core Synergistics stuff, though that would depend how tall you were.

It's not a small amount unless you want to find yourself modifying a ton of the routine to fit.

Bollocks

1 1/2 weeks into Insanity and I feel like it's getting harder and harder.
As you get acclimated to the workout you try to push harder and harder(at least in my case) and it's just as exhausting as ever.

LaneDS

I'd say you want at least 2 meters by 2 meters. Arguably a little more for some of the Plyo and Core Synergistics stuff, though that would depend how tall you were.

It's not a small amount unless you want to find yourself modifying a ton of the routine to fit.

Thanks. Will give the first day's worth of exercises a go tonight and see if it works or not; it certainly can't hurt to try.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Muscle confusion isn't real science, or so i've heard.
That's notexactly right... it's certainly true that "muscle confusion" isn't a scientific principle at all or a specific theory, but the aims of P90X are based in pretty solid sports science concerning muscle volume overload, refractory periods, glycogen stores, varying nutrition based on energy needs...

Rather than saying it isn't real science, it'd be more accurate to say it "isn't a thing" at all. Muscle confusion is really just a handy name they invented for marketing purposes to describe a handful of concepts P90X uses to squeeze more efficiency into a 90 day period than just repeating the same routines the whole time.

I mention this all by way of saying that in the P90X guide, they seeeeriously stress the recovery week as an essential part of the program, even though they also say you should still focus on intensity during the workouts. For one thing, I know it mentions that you should avoid doing more resistance training so during that week the microtears in your muscles have a chance to heal, which will give you strength gains for the next phase.

Kabuto

hey guys, I'm on day 24 (phase 2) of the workout and I've had the cold the past three days. I feel horrible and went to sleep early so I couldn't get my workouts done. Should I continue where I left off or should I just start this phase all over again?

lljride

Daylight Savings Time sucks. All week I've had to drag myself out of bed every morning, and I've felt tired and weak all through my am workouts. Hoping I finally readjust soon.

mm04

Do your recovery weeks, folks. Unless your plan is to just stop after 90 days, I'd advise following the program and once your initial 90 day round is complete and then mix and match what you discover works for you. I've mentioned this every time someone wants to skip recovery weeks, but I personally have lost the most amount of weight during recovery weeks (I'm finishing round 2 this week). That may be an anomaly but I found that I didn't lose a whole lot of weight during resistance, but once I went through recovery, I'd drop as much or more weight than I did the previous 3 weeks. That happened for 6 straight recovery weeks and I never changed my pattern or eating habits one bit. I'm at the point now where I'm not trying to lose weight, but build more muscle, so I'm going to be changing things up after this week. What I'm getting at is everybody's body will react differently to things. Do the first recovery week at the very least and see how you feel starting the next phase. If you feel weaker, stronger, lose more weight, lose less weight etc. Take note of that and it'll give you something to think about when you get to the next recovery week.

Garryk

Chest, shoulder, triceps is a beast. My triceps get so tight during the workout that it's hard to bend my arms to do the pushups. Even if they weren't tight I would still be on my knees most of the time. Phil looks like he's about to Hulk out during the whole video.

Chest, shoulder, triceps is a beast. My triceps get so tight during the workout that it's hard to bend my arms to do the pushups. Even if they weren't tight I would still be on my knees most of the time. Phil looks like he's about to Hulk out during the whole video.
I screwed up and did that on my very first day instead of Chest & Back. I nearly never went back. :D

Unrelated, I may be softening on Yoga X. Now, before the founding member of the Yoga-X Admiration society says anything, I still think it's mindnumbingly boring, and too long... but it's the one routine that I can really start to see I'm getting results in, especially with regard to some of the stretches.

hxa155

putting the slow mo pushups as the very first exercise in the workout was a dick move lol

i remember my triceps being so tired by the end of the exercise that i found it hard to do the ones that come later, like one armed pushups etc

GCNemesis

V-Sculpt tonight! Skimmed through it and I think I know what I'm in for... but probably not.

Two month (halfway) progress update coming on Monday!

I3rand0

Just finished Week 3 of Phase 3 for X2 (Week 11). I'm debating on whether I should do one more week of it because I am so tired and have not taken a recovery week yet. I may just take next week off and start the whole program over again the following week.

I will say one of my favorite combinations of the day is P90X workout + Protein Shake + Shower + Brushing my teeth. My whole body just feels relaxed right afterwards

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Have any of you attempted this with just adjustable dumbbells? How integral is a pull up bar? I can do reverse pull up via some ghetto rig with a broom and chairs (though this doesn't hit all the same back muscles as normal pull ups do). I wouldn't be able to do chin ups though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Have any of you attempted this with just adjustable dumbbells? How integral is a pull up bar? I can do reverse pull up via some ghetto rig with a broom and chairs (though this doesn't hit all the same back muscles as normal pull ups do). I wouldn't be able to do chin ups though.
I really think you'd at least need bands to approximate the pull-up bar exercises.

How is it? Toughest part of P90X2 (along with lower)?

I start it in a few weeks.

I think PAP lower is a little bit harder. But they are both really tough. Definitely the two hardest routines in X2. It reminds me of Insanity a bit in how you don't get many breaks in between moves.

I'm a week into phase 3 and I can tell this is going to be a long phase. With there only being 3 different workouts in one week I feel like that will take its toll on me. I'm a big fan of more variety throughout the week.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ah, my wrist/ankle weights came. :)

I'll post a review after I use them the first time for something, but so far: pros: feel like megaman while wearing one.

lunchtoast

So I haven't done this in over a month and want to get back into it. If anyone is about to start up with the first or second phase let me know and we can be P90 buddies!?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I haven't done this in over a month and want to get back into it. If anyone is about to start up with the first or second phase let me know and we can be P90 buddies!?
Well, I'm about to have my first recovery week, then start phase 2 for the first time.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Cool, I stopped after my first phase and didn't get back into it. What are you doing? Classic/5 days a week? Are you also on any sort of diet?
Oh damn, I'm doing P90X, sorry :'( I just realized you said P90.

I am on a diet but not as strict as it should be, quite yet. I'm basically limiting my carbs and caloric intake, upping protein, and making one of their recipes 4-5 times a week.

First day of Yoga was agonizing. I don't have the patience for it. Just so boring and way too long. Went 30 minutes and stopped. Then did some of X-Stretch for another 15 mins and called it a day.

lunchtoast

Oh damn, I'm doing P90X, sorry :'( I just realized you said P90.

I am on a diet but not as strict as it should be, quite yet. I'm basically limiting my carbs and caloric intake, upping protein, and making one of their recipes 4-5 times a week.

Oh no, I'm doing p90x2, I just didn't type it out, or realise people were still doing p90.

darkandroid

Neo Member
are the pull-up bars really necessary for P90X?

I have a good set of resistance bands with a door anchor and handles tho...I know they can be substituted for pull-up bars but are they as effective?

Not that I cant afford to get the push-up bars but theres no space in my apartment to fix them...the only place theres enough room is the entrance of my apartment which means I would have to leave the door open and I dont think I want to be doing pull ups in front of my neighbors... :-/

are the pull-up bars really necessary for P90X?

I have a good set of resistance bands with a door anchor and handles tho...I know they can be substituted for pull-up bars but are they as effective?

Not that I cant afford to get the push-up bars but theres no space in my apartment to fix them...the only place theres enough room is the entrance of my apartment which means I would have to leave the door open and I dont think I want to be doing pull ups in front of my neighbors... :-/

I think bands are probably fine. They show it as an alternative move in the videos, too.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh no, I'm doing p90x2, I just didn't type it out, or realise people were still doing p90.
lol, well some people in this thread are doing p90 I believe, but I'm doing X, while you are doing X2, rendering us still on different lanes :p

First day of my first recovery week here...

owie x2 yoga

lunchtoast

lol, well some people in this thread are doing p90 I believe, but I'm doing X, while you are doing X2, rendering us still on different lanes :p

First day of my first recovery week here...

owie x2 yoga

That's cool, I'd just like to stick with someone who stays on schedule to keep myself motivated.

yes and yoga is owie indeed.

Top Bottom