• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

wow core synergistics :D

Yeah, there are some pretty intense moves in there. I get worked over doing the one where you move your feet like you're running while in plank for 60sec (I think), and the one where you alternate between plank and chataranga or whatever.

I was in a bit of rush and ambitious mentally when I did this on Friday. I essentially did everything non-stop just like in the video, whereas usually I would give myself more time to breathe and rest. This right now is the toughest workout for me. Yeah Tony, I focused all right. Felt almost like puking at one point. That doesn't even happen with Plyo

I found Hip Raise and balance move hard too without shoes. My feet ending hurting and give up way early

Everdred

Had a great workout this week, punched myself in the eye when my weight band snapped during crouching cohen curls. My damn cat chewed a little bit of it and apparently it was enough to cause a break. Felt like someone jacked me.

Had a great workout this week, punched myself in the eye when my weight band snapped during crouching cohen curls. My damn cat chewed a little bit of it and apparently it was enough to cause a break. Felt like someone jacked me.

Your avatar makes me miss Perfect Dark

now I'm sad

I hope you're happy, Everdred

Could have been worse. Had the actual band got you in the eye then it would have been significantly less pleasant.

Unrelated, stage 2 of the diet tomorrow. Going to treat myself to some porridge in the morning. :)

I stopped being so anal with my diet and just cleaned everything up and made sure every meal I eat has some protein in it and im just working out hard. Not worrying about hitting 225g of protein (was impossible for me without protein drinks) and 135g of carbs or wherever else the nutrition plan suggests for phase 1 and beyond. I do keep everything at 1800 calories though. That's pretty much the only numbers I track. Just finished week one. Throughout the week I changed my workout schedule a lot and found the evening to be my sweet spot where I can bring it with maximum intensity.

After week one I can say the only workout that do not look forward to is yoga. I will try one more time this week and then substitute it with something else or do my own thing. I did Kenpo today and loved it. Probably my fav so far.

I stopped being so anal with my diet and just cleaned everything up and made sure every meal I eat has some protein in it and im just working out hard. Not worrying about hitting 225g of protein (was impossible for me without protein drinks) and 135g of carbs or wherever else the nutrition plan suggests for phase 1 and beyond. I do keep everything at 1800 calories though. That's pretty much the only numbers I track. Just finished week one. Throughout the week I changed my workout schedule a lot and found the evening to be my sweet spot where I can bring it with maximum intensity.

After week one I can say the only workout that do not look forward to is yoga. I will try one more time this week and then substitute it with something else or do my own thing. I did Kenpo today and loved it. Probably my fav so far.

I am going to beat the lone and old drum that I highly encourage you to stick with yoga. Yes, it is uncomfortable, very long, very slow. But my god it pushes your core muscles unlike anything else, it gives you balance and stretching that will make you both stronger and safer. And finally, if you are willing to be a bit open to it, it is about inner peace, the inner growth that goes with the outer physical changes. It's about learning how to breathe through discomfort, just like with anything else (like Ab Ripper X!)

Calmness in the storm. No other apt metaphor for it.

Phase 1 is complete. Today was my rest day, and then comes Recovery Week. I had been expecting it to be easy, until posts above about how Core Synergistics is tough, so now I'm a little worried. Not that it'll deter me.

I am also sort of concerned that I haven't noticed any changes in how my body looks yet. Not sure what to do about it though.

BeautifulMemory said:
I am going to beat the lone and old drum that I highly encourage you to stick with yoga. Yes, it is uncomfortable, very long, very slow. But my god it pushes your core muscles unlike anything else, it gives you balance and stretching that will make you both stronger and safer. And finally, if you are willing to be a bit open to it, it is about inner peace, the inner growth that goes with the outer physical changes. It's about learning how to breathe through discomfort, just like with anything else (like Ab Ripper X!)

Calmness in the storm. No other apt metaphor for it.

I know, but unlike a lot of the other DVDs there is no alternate beginner ways (that I noticed) to do a lot of the poses. I can't do a good 90% of the moves at all. Right now there is a lot of stuff I try that could possibly get me hurt because im just not flexible enough.

The inner peace meditating aspect of it I could greatly use but it's very difficult because my mind is constantly racing all day long I'm OCD and shit is always buzzin in there so to just turn it all off is pretty damn hard for me.

I understand it's a very important part of the program. If my flexibility was better I'd be able to intensify so much more of the other days workouts where I can't right now. I'll take your advice and keep trying. Maybe give it a few more weeks then and have a more open mind about it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Phase 1 is complete. Today was my rest day, and then comes Recovery Week. I had been expecting it to be easy, until posts above about how Core Synergistics is tough, so now I'm a little worried. Not that it'll deter me.

I am also sort of concerned that I haven't noticed any changes in how my body looks yet. Not sure what to do about it though.
It's not easy. Core Synergistics is crazy. It's just a more cardio-heavy week so far. :p

I know, but unlike a lot of the other DVDs there is no alternate beginner ways (that I noticed) to do a lot of the poses. I can't do a good 90% of the moves at all. Right now there is a lot of stuff I try that could possibly get me hurt because im just not flexible enough.

The inner peace meditating aspect of it I could greatly use but it's very difficult because my mind is constantly racing all day long I'm OCD and shit is always buzzin in there so to just turn it all off is pretty damn hard for me.

I understand it's a very important part of the program. If my flexibility was better I'd be able to intensify so much more of the other days workouts where I can't right now. I'll take your advice and keep trying. Maybe give it a few more weeks then and have a more open mind about it.

Sorry, I don' t mean to keep you on the spot. Let me just say I really know how uncomfortable it feels. I first did "yoga" in P90, when it was only 5 minutes and consisted of upward and downward dog. That was it. Hated it. Felt like shit and dreaded every second of it

and you are right unfortunately there really isn't coaching to yoga and no modification either. Just do it. Let the DVD play, take rest when you need to, and catch up.

I will say also, just really do your best and back off when you need to. Yoga is hard, but the fact that you are trying to do it is better than skipping it completely. And the inner peace part, as well as the flexibility part, it doesn't get better until you do it!

In any case, try this next or whenever you want to give up. Just play your favorite TV show or movie when you do Yoga. I played the motherfucking Dark Knight last week. Channeled my inner Batman. An hour and half will fly by like nothing. Just try and backoff when you feel uncomfortable. It's just like resistance or cardio training, we got to start somewhere.

Use yoga block. Makes a world of difference. Sounds cliche as hell but do your best and forget the rest. Do it, and keep going.

Ok I am done, thanks for listening :)

I still really think Yoga is best not done from DVDs unless you're already experienced... or have mirrors everywhere. You really have very little way of telling if you're in the right positions most of the time and a real world instructor would make a great deal of difference.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I really need to get a yoga block. I can tell it'd help me a ton on the moves I'm wavering a lot on.

I'll plug X2 yoga again by the way if you have access to it. Great workout.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
tony-horton.jpg

don't skip the yoga, kids. He means it. At least do the first 50 minutes.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
I'm doing Power 90 temporarily just to get into the mindset of working out every day and to give me some time to figure out the nutrition for P90X. I'm pretty confused by supplements since I've never used them before and everybody seems to have different opinions. Going by this thread, Muscle Milk Light shakes and/or Syntha-6+skim milk are the most popular. Do I need both? And when should I be drinking them, just after the workout or a couple times a day?

CLIF builder bars seem to be highly recommended also so I'll see if my Costco has them

I've only found regular clif bars at Costco. My walmart carries the boxes of builder's bars. Btw get Chocolate Mint! You'll thank me later.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I actually recently tried the three new Builder's Bars flavors (s'mores, chocolate chip, crunchy peanut butter), as I was at a Whole Foods I don't usually go to and they were selling them. They were all pretty good, but none of them knocked my socks off. The s'mores has a nice graham-crackery taste, the chocolate chip does kind of taste like a cookie (but doesn't actually have chocolate chips in it), and the crunchy peanut butter is all peanut butter (no chocolate) but isn't really crunchy. Each of them all sort of taste similar to an existing flavor — I guess there's only so much you can do with the core ingredients.

Anyway, I love these goddamn bars, and was excited to try some new flavors, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get these flavors again, since my regular store doesn't sell them yet. Chocolate mint and chocolate peanut butter are still the kings for me.

MyProtein in the UK do the absolute best ones. Their MyBar Cookies are ridiculous, they taste like you're eating something from a proper cookie shop.

Anyway, I love these goddamn bars, and was excited to try some new flavors, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get these flavors again, since my regular store doesn't sell them yet. Chocolate mint and chocolate peanut butter are still the kings for me.

I switch between these two whenever I get tired of one.

NH Apache

Banned
Love me some Clif bars, only that the whey fucks me over and I usually end up throwing it up. So I stick with my egg protein chocolate shake. Yum.

My diet got toally screwed over this weekend. St. Paddy's, beer and a rack of thin mints bumped me up 4 pounds.

Oh well, this is only week 2 for me and today was Chest/back and Ab ripper. I actually made it through ab ripper, but I still have major problems with military and diamond pushups. My diamond is so wide that I might as well do standard pushups.

I guess I'll just do my best and forget the rest. Thanks, Scotty.

What is the quantity of protein I'm supposed to intake per day? It's a percentage of weight, right?

I buy the Clif Builder's Bars from costco (about $19 for 18 bars, chocolate and chooclate+peanut butter), as well as Kaizen Whey Isolate (could be cheaper, about $44 for 4.4lbs). All in CDN.

Sometimes I get the Pure Protein bars, but they're a bit more expensive. The only good thing about them is that they have ~45-50% fewer calories than the Clif Builder's, for the same amount of protein.

And on that note, I just had a chocolate peanut butter Clif. Mmm.

LaneDS

That's awesome! I should take some pre-pics today since I'm (finally) starting P90X. Does one phase = one full rotation of 90 days? I.e. is that about a year's worth of progress (2x 90x and 2x 90x2) for Daremo?

lljride

Good grief Infinite_Daremo, awesome results man. Kinda glad I don't have before/after pics now since your results blow mine away anyway. Gotta keep pushing play, I'll get there eventually :).

I finished my last PAP Lower day this morning. 1 more PAP Upper tomorrow and I am done with X2. Just in time too, because as much as I love the PAP routines I'm ready for a change. Starting Insanity on Sunday!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Deciding if I want to do 1 or 2 more weeks of phase 2 of X2. I enjoy it, so I might do 2 more for 6 total. Then on to phase 3 and the P.A.P. workouts...

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Hey guys. Thought id share my results. This is from slob->P90X->P90X2 (2 phases)

Results.jpg

And yes my shorts are that awesome!

Bad-fucking-ass results man. Can you share some of the stuff to get such impressive results (how many pounds were you lifting, how was your diet, did you take supplements, etc.)

Bad-fucking-ass results man. Can you share some of the stuff to get such impressive results (how many pounds were you lifting, how was your diet, did you take supplements, etc.)

10kg Weights for my arms switching down to 8kg for certain exercises
P90X2 i used resistance bands instead of the pull up bar

My diet was crap for the whole of P90X, i didnt eat enough. But for X2 i changed my diet drastically, same thing every day:

Breakfast: 2-3 egg omelette + protein shake
Mid Morning Snack: Protein Bar
Lunch: Chicken Salad
Afternoon Snack: Protein Shake w/ Apple, Nuts or Chicken strips
Dinner: Chicken and Veg or Lamb Shank and veg for a treat

Drank about 4 litres of water a day. I put in some dilute now and then to add some flavour (sugar free)

Through P90X2 i used weight loss tablets which made me a right grumpy bastard. I took multi vitamins and cod liver oil every day also.

I also had a cheat day every 2 weeks. I also drank alcohol about once a month but it was low calorie drink like vodka, brandy etc...

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Were you doing the fat shredder diet? Because you barely ate carbs. I'm still unsure what to do about this. I started eating tons of carbs (4 portions per day, plus mass gainer) to put some weight, but I'm afraid this will turn into unwanted fat.

I was getting carbs from my protein bar and shake. But I did go low carb. I just made sure I was eating at least 1800 calories a day. As long as you hit that target and are eating healthy I wouldn't worry about your diet. Carbs aren't the enemy when you're exercising, just when you're doing nothing.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
For P90x2, did you use the stability and medicine balls, or did you do the modified versions without them? Looking at the pics, X2 seems to have ripped you a lot.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Well my X2 phase 2 week 4 started off a bit odd, I ended up having to sub pushups/pull ups with bike/pull ups due to my dad having his car break down and me having to drive him home and stay with the parents tonight (we work at the same company, but live about 45 minutes in the opposite directions from the office).

I am thinking of doing the plyo/pull ups (typical Saturday or day 6) workout tomorrow since I had to miss pull ups today, and moving plyo to Saturday/day 6 this week. That should work alright right? I'll still get my normal break day after each.

Top Bottom