• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Do many of you use heart rate monitors for Plyo and the other cardio based workouts? I'm entering my 7th week now and I haven't used one yet, just wondering if it's worth it to pick one up. I know I'm keeping my heart rate up and I can get through Plyo now with only taking 1 short pause break (that second set of 180 run stance switch squats kills me) and for Kenpo X and Yoga I don't need any pauses.

I used it for a little bit to get concrete numbers on heart rate and calories burned. I stopped because I know when I'm dogging it...and as long as I'm keeping pace with Tony I'm ok

LaneDS

For those deep into the program or those that have graduated from it, how long until you saw results either in how you looked or how your scale reported things? I was a little discouraged to work out hard six days and do stretching on the seventh + eating right and find my weight hadn't changed. While I suspect that's all muscle replacing fat (I certainly feel better than a week ago, which is important) it's still a little discouraging to see the same weight on the scale a week later.

Is there a semi-agreed upon week where people just start noticing their changes for the better and say "damn"?

I haven't said "damn" yet, but five weeks in the differences are fairly obvious. Not just in looks, but in capability / flexibility.

I had a lot to lose though, and I'm still not quite sticking to the diet (not eating enough) or sleeping enough... so obviously my results could be better.

For those deep into the program or those that have graduated from it, how long until you saw results either in how you looked or how your scale reported things? I was a little discouraged to work out hard six days and do stretching on the seventh + eating right and find my weight hadn't changed. While I suspect that's all muscle replacing fat (I certainly feel better than a week ago, which is important) it's still a little discouraging to see the same weight on the scale a week later.

Is there a semi-agreed upon week where people just start noticing their changes for the better and say "damn"?

I would give yourself a month, not week, to start seeing some changes. This depends on your physique and starting weight too. If you are relatively overweight to begin with you will have more to lose, which is how a lot of people report of losing weight fast in the beginning.

EasyMode

Weight can be deceptive. I'm on week 5 and only lost maybe 2 or 3 pounds, but I've lost an inch off my waist and the visual difference is pretty noticeable. I started with not much weight to lose though, 5'8" / 148 lbs.

Ugh... tonight's a kenpo night.

LaneDS

Hm, well for reference I'm also only 5'8" but had a fair bit of muscle to me beforehand (could do anywhere from 5-10 pull ups at different times over the past six months) and am currently at 203 lbs. I guess I carry it well since people always guess far lower when they look at me, but still, I think I want to get myself down to 160 or 170 at least in the long term so I'm hoping after subsequent weeks the pounds start coming off.

Weight changes or not, it is hard to diminish my enthusiasm for this program. Feels good.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Rest week 2 for X2. Next week begins phase 3 and my last 4-5 weeks of X2!

After I was debating doing Insanity, although I want to start Couch to 5K again too...

Hm, well for reference I'm also only 5'8" but had a fair bit of muscle to me beforehand (could do anywhere from 5-10 pull ups at different times over the past six months) and am currently at 203 lbs. I guess I carry it well since people always guess far lower when they look at me, but still, I think I want to get myself down to 160 or 170 at least in the long term so I'm hoping after subsequent weeks the pounds start coming off.

Weight changes or not, it is hard to diminish my enthusiasm for this program. Feels good.

My guess is if you keep up with the fat shredder diet you should see results soon. For myself when I did p90 it took almost 3 months to lose 25 pounds..,though I didn't have strong diet then

Bollocks

Every time I go into the c sit position during the abs workout, my (lower)back hurts and I have to pause:/ I don't know why, I'm already pretty flexible, no sore muscles whatsoever, yet this position feels really uncomfortable after a while. Any tips?

LaneDS

I somehow think week 2 of chest & back was harder for me than week 1, but I was probably pushing harder all around. Lower back is hurting; how should I stretch it properly?

Ravager61

Just started on my second week of regular P90. I must say, my sculpt session today was noticeably better than when I first started last week. Going to order some new resistance bands and try to up the difficulty on my next session.

I'm off the DVD's already at the start of week 3. I actually find that they slow me down because I follow them move for move and Tony and crew do waste a bit of time here and there. For example Chest & Back is about an hour on DVD and I finished in roughly 45 minutes today. I didnt really time myself but I definitely finished faster than if i was following the DVD. I just followed the P90X app which lists all the moves for me. I take less breaks this way I find. I can watch TV now which makes it less of a drag than working out to the DVD's everyday.

Once you know the routine for each phase I say ditch the DVDs. Not necessary and you may find yourself working out harder and faster because of it. Of course it may have the complete opposite effect if you really need that motivating voice like Tony provides.

I'm thinking I may start replacing some of the cardio workouts like Kenpo and maybe Plyo because the weather is starting to get nice and I got a small mountain beside my house I usually run up and down that gives me the greatest cardio workout ever and is more fun for me than working out in my cold basement. You guys think mountain climbing/running uphill is a good replacement?

Ravager61 said:
Just started on my second week of regular P90. I must say, my sculpt session today was noticeably better than when I first started last week. Going to order some new resistance bands and try to up the difficulty on my next session.

Nice! Keep us updated. Are you on level 1/2 or 3/4 already?

I'm off the DVD's already at the start of week 3. I actually find that they slow me down because I follow them move for move and Tony and crew do waste a bit of time here and there. For example Chest & Back is about an hour on DVD and I finished in roughly 45 minutes today. I didnt really time myself but I definitely finished faster than if i was following the DVD. I just followed the P90X app which lists all the moves for me. I take less breaks this way I find. I can watch TV now which makes it less of a drag than working out to the DVD's everyday.

Once you know the routine for each phase I say ditch the DVDs. Not necessary and you may find yourself working out harder and faster because of it. Of course it may have the complete opposite effect if you really need that motivating voice like Tony provides.

I'm thinking I may start replacing some of the cardio workouts like Kenpo and maybe Plyo because the weather is starting to get nice and I got a small mountain beside my house I usually run up and down that gives me the greatest cardio workout ever and is more fun for me than working out in my cold basement. You guys think mountain climbing/running uphill is a good replacement?

I have heard people saying the same thing, and actually willing to fork out extra $60 for the guided workout on the iphone app for the exact reason: it's faster and cutting out all the transition in between. Man, you sound like you are in pretty good shape already. I am still using the DVDs just to make sure my form is right

as for the mountain climbing...I don't know I don't see why not. I would use it to replace Kenpo, although Kenpo is great for balancing and doing punching and kicking. I love the upper cut moves and seeing how much I have improved on my kicks. I'd definitely keep Plyo though. Plyo is a beast.

I have heard people saying the same thing, and actually willing to fork out extra $60 for the guided workout on the iphone app for the exact reason: it's faster and cutting out all the transition in between. Man, you sound like you are in pretty good shape already. I am still using the DVDs just to make sure my form is right

as for the mountain climbing...I don't know I don't see why not. I would use it to replace Kenpo, although Kenpo is great for balancing and doing punching and kicking. I love the upper cut moves and seeing how much I have improved on my kicks. I'd definitely keep Plyo though. Plyo is a beast.

Just for the record I bought just the base app and it's decent. I did not buy any of the workouts in the app which total about $60. The base version which is $4.99 gives you a calorie counter, notifications, calendar for workouts and each workouts move list. The move list is text only and I think if you purchase the workout you get the whole video of each exercise showing you proper form and etc. I don't think one would need both the DVD's and to pay for the exercises on the iPhone. Once you know what each move entails there's nothing else really needed except for the list of moves which I don't memorize and basically use the app for.

I don't think I will replace Plyo because like you said it is such a great workout but I want to go outside more and workout so ill just play around with the schedule and see what works.

Feeling kind of demoralized. I just started Phase 2 today, and Chest-Triceps-Shoulders destroyed me. I couldn't do a single one-armed push-up, and I didn't like my numbers on any of the exercises, really.

Then during Ab Ripper, I felt like I had regressed, after not doing it for over a week. I couldn't get through all 25 reps of most of the exercises.

Blahhhh.

Just for the record I bought just the base app and it's decent. I did not buy any of the workouts in the app which total about $60. The base version which is $4.99 gives you a calorie counter, notifications, calendar for workouts and each workouts move list. The move list is text only and I think if you purchase the workout you get the whole video of each exercise showing you proper form and etc. I don't think one would need both the DVD's and to pay for the exercises on the iPhone. Once you know what each move entails there's nothing else really needed except for the list of moves which I don't memorize and basically use the app for.

I don't think I will replace Plyo because like you said it is such a great workout but I want to go outside more and workout so ill just play around with the schedule and see what works.

Yeah I have the app too, it's great. The calendar really helps me to keep organized lol

Personally and biased, in terms of cardio the only one that I think it's replaceable it's Kenpo. Plyo is too intense, and Yoga is just special for me

It sounds like you are making great progress, I am kind of jealous lol

Feeling kind of demoralized. I just started Phase 2 today, and Chest-Triceps-Shoulders destroyed me. I couldn't do a single one-armed push-up, and I didn't like my numbers on any of the exercises, really.

Then during Ab Ripper, I felt like I had regressed, after not doing it for over a week. I couldn't get through all 25 reps of most of the exercises.

Blahhhh.

If you are like me, and I suspect it's kind of meant to be this way, how you feel today is exactly how you are supposed to be. Recovery week refreshes you but your body is going to need time to adjust to the resistance workouts again, hence body confusion, hence acclimated growth

Is it better to do Ab Ripper X before or after the workout?

If you are too tired to do it after, there are people here who have done it before and love it.

TrounceX

Sup P90X GAF?

Never posted in here before. I've done a complete 3 month set of P90X and then did the workouts as a supplementary for probably around 2 years now. I also have P90X2 and have started mixing in those routines as well, although I find them MUCH easier than the first program. Anyways, maybe I'll start reading this thread more often and seeing if I can help out.

Blahhhh.

You might have just had a bad day. Don't worry, it happens. One thing is to make sure you're eating enough. I know if I miss breakfast my workouts are always terrible. Also remember that there's going to be ups and downs, but as long as you stick with it you're going to come out ahead.

Is it better to do Ab Ripper X before or after the workout?

After for sure.

Reason being that your core is the foundation upon which almost all exercises are built off of. Even when you're doing something like Back and Biceps, you are still working out your core A LOT. If you do Ab Ripper X beforehand, you may be limiting your reps during the actual workout for no reason.

Man does it suck to have Ab Ripper hanging over your head during a grueling workout though. I've skipped it so many times lol.

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Lol @ yoga....damn

What are the things you feel you have improved the most?

I went from doing barely 1 set of 8 reps lifting 15 lbs dumbells to doing 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps. I just recently bought some 25 lb dumbells and I'm looking forward to using them.

I went from 2 pull ups to 13 pull ups (any type, really; wide is definitely my favorite, though). I would like to hit 20.

I went from barely being able to do 15 Mason Kayaks to doing 80 in a row. 100 is my goal.

I think the first time I did Plyometrics, I made it through about 5 minutes before I almost collapsed. The last time I did it, I didn't stop and went full force the entire time.

The most improved, though, has to be stretching and stamina. Sounds weird, but I'm basically back to where I was when I was 16 and in martial arts (being able to do the splits, etc). I feel really flexible and (this might be TMI) I have a lot more energy in the bedroom. Yes, this is a HUGE benefit of working out.

My focus when I restart is to get a little more bulk going. Weight wise, I'm pretty much where I need to be. If I can lose the last little bit of belly fat, then I'll be golden. I would like my arms to be a little bit bigger and my abs to be a little more defined and then I'll probably just maintain and adjust as I age. I'm really glad I did this program. I kept telling myself I would start sometime early last year, but I never bothered to do it. I was just a lazy blob. Then in December, I finally said fuck it, downloaded the iPhone app and started going. Best decision I've ever made. Around the same time, I also told myself that I would make a bunch of sweeping changes: dress completely differently, carry myself differently, stop being a shut in, face all of my fears. It pretty much worked like dominos... working out gave me energy and confidence, which transferred into how I walk, which made all of my new clothes look better on my frame, which meant people (especially women) actually started approaching ME. I still have days where I feel like a fatso (like this weekend after I went to the club with a bunch of chicks, drank too much, then had IHOP with them... felt FAT and was wearing a fitted black v neck too ... ugh) but overall I feel good about the way I look. And if I miss a workout, I feel terrible. It's one of my favorite parts of my day!

That's pretty much it. I'll get P90X2 in a couple months when I can afford it and I'll keep checking in here on everyone's progress because this thread is fun and I'm still learning a lot of things from people.

I went from doing barely 1 set of 8 reps lifting 15 lbs dumbells to doing 2-3 sets of 10-15 reps. I just recently bought some 25 lb dumbells and I'm looking forward to using them.

I went from 2 pull ups to 13 pull ups (any type, really; wide is definitely my favorite, though). I would like to hit 20.

I went from barely being able to do 15 Mason Kayaks to doing 80 in a row. 100 is my goal.

I think the first time I did Plyometrics, I made it through about 5 minutes before I almost collapsed. The last time I did it, I didn't stop and went full force the entire time.

The most improved, though, has to be stretching and stamina. Sounds weird, but I'm basically back to where I was when I was 16 and in martial arts (being able to do the splits, etc). I feel really flexible and (this might be TMI) I have a lot more energy in the bedroom. Yes, this is a HUGE benefit of working out.

My focus when I restart is to get a little more bulk going. Weight wise, I'm pretty much where I need to be. If I can lose the last little bit of belly fat, then I'll be golden. I would like my arms to be a little bit bigger and my abs to be a little more defined and then I'll probably just maintain and adjust as I age. I'm really glad I did this program. I kept telling myself I would start sometime early last year, but I never bothered to do it. I was just a lazy blob. Then in December, I finally said fuck it, downloaded the iPhone app and started going. Best decision I've ever made. Around the same time, I also told myself that I would make a bunch of sweeping changes: dress completely differently, carry myself differently, stop being a shut in, face all of my fears. It pretty much worked like dominos... working out gave me energy and confidence, which transferred into how I walk, which made all of my new clothes look better on my frame, which meant people (especially women) actually started approaching ME. I still have days where I feel like a fatso (like this weekend after I went to the club with a bunch of chicks, drank too much, then had IHOP with them... felt FAT and was wearing a fitted black v neck too ... ugh) but overall I feel good about the way I look. And if I miss a workout, I feel terrible. It's one of my favorite parts of my day!

That's pretty much it. I'll get P90X2 in a couple months when I can afford it and I'll keep checking in here on everyone's progress because this thread is fun and I'm still learning a lot of things from people.

Amazing, especially with the Mason Twists. I am so happy to hear about your changes. And we all know you drank too much...you made a thread about alcohol! Just kidding. You looked really good and comfortable with yourself of those photos you posted. Any advice on how to improve the people/women part, since I am already working on the P90X?

Alfarif

This picture? uhh I can explain really!
Amazing, especially with the Mason Twists. I am so happy to hear about your changes. And we all know you drank too much...you made a thread about alcohol!

Got home and wanted to drink and work on some web series scripts I'm putting together. Nothing wrong with that! LOL

You looked really good and comfortable with yourself of those photos you posted. Any advice on how to improve the people/women part, since I am already working on the P90X?

I pretty much didn't want to put up pictures until there was a noticeable change in my physique. I used to suck in my stomach ALL the time because of how much I despised my body. Ugh.

As for people and women, it's funny, because I'm probably the last person to ask. I've always been a shy guy with a big heart who loved people but couldn't walk up to anyone and talk to them. But once I started working out and getting results (especially when I posted them on my Facebook and people started going nuts), I felt like I could conquer the world. I just kind of got it into my head that I'm tackling something that's pretty huge and talking to people is probably the simplest thing on the planet. Getting a whole new wardrobe helped and then having a physique that people like helps as well.

Got home and wanted to drink and work on some web series scripts I'm putting together. Nothing wrong with that! LOL

I pretty much didn't want to put up pictures until there was a noticeable change in my physique. I used to suck in my stomach ALL the time because of how much I despised my body. Ugh.

As for people and women, it's funny, because I'm probably the last person to ask. I've always been a shy guy with a big heart who loved people but couldn't walk up to anyone and talk to them. But once I started working out and getting results (especially when I posted them on my Facebook and people started going nuts), I felt like I could conquer the world. I just kind of got it into my head that I'm tackling something that's pretty huge and talking to people is probably the simplest thing on the planet. Getting a whole new wardrobe helped and then having a physique that people like helps as well.

Just reading this helps. Thanks Alfarif. I am similar to you. Very shy...get nervous easily...and really want to connect with people. Maybe I should post my pics like you did. I have been keeping it a secret lol

Feature

Banned
going to start my p90x next monday!! I'll be going to the gym for the muscle stuff and doing the kenpo and yoga stuff at home. Going to put all the videos on my ipod so I can watch it in the gym. LETS DO THIS!

Don't feel too bad, it's destroyed me every time I've done it. It almost feels like I should be doing something else instead to improve my strength in that area because once I've done the first exercise my arms barely have anything left for the rest.

Easily my weakest area.

GAF I need an ass kicking. I strained my lower back a bit and took yesterday off. I celebrated by going to Five Guys and had a burger/fries (no cheese at least). WTF! I hate myself for it and I feel fat as hell today.

Ill Saint

GAF I need an ass kicking. I strained my lower back a bit and took yesterday off. I celebrated by going to Five Guys and had a burger/fries (no cheese at least). WTF! I hate myself for it and I feel fat as hell today.

Hit up some Plyo X or even Kenpo. Just a few exercises. Might give you a boost and get your mind back in the right gear. If your back is OK that is.
I find that helps me when I've indulged or missed a couple days and need to get back into it.

Interesting...might just do that as I am not confident in my back to do chest/back today. Does it basically just shock your system a bit to get your metabolism firing quicker? What's the science behind it I wonder.

There's a lot of info out there, but it's hard to split the real science from the broscience at times. This page has a little info, but as with all complex subjects it's best to look at a wide range of sources as there's still quite a lot of debate over it all.

http://www.greatist.com/health/cheat-days-explained/

I personally only do it if my progress is slowing, but it has worked for me in the past. I tend to base my decisions on when / how using similar info to how this guy does it (who goes for it in a huge way):

http://www.romanfitnesssystems.com/blog/cheat-day-cheat-sheet/

lljride

For me cheat days are as much of a mental release as they are physical. The first link you posted talks about that a little bit. The occasional pizza and beers on Saturday night is a nice reward after being good all week. Actually helps keep me in line and curb some cravings during the week as well.

Today was my first official day of Insanity...died. I've got a long way to go to keep up with everyone.

mehdi_san

I didn't feel any change during the first 3 weeks. I would look at my weight on the scale and almost lose my motivation to keep doing the program. My body started changing during the first recovery week, lost a good part of my belly and I was down 3kg on my weight. So just don't think too much about it for now! You WILL see changes soon :)

LaneDS

I didn't feel any change during the first 3 weeks. I would look at my weight on the scale and almost lose my motivation to keep doing the program. My body started changing during the first recovery week, lost a good part of my belly and I was down 3kg on my weight. So just don't think too much about it for now! You WILL see changes soon :)

Thanks man! I have every intention of keeping at it. Woke up this morning and actually did feel like I was just looking a bit thinner (today would be day 9) so I'm really excited to see what day 90 or 180 is going to look like. Embarrassing out of shape before pictures are ready to be posted once I have not so embarrassing after pictures to go with!

Thanks man! I have every intention of keeping at it. Woke up this morning and actually did feel like I was just looking a bit thinner (today would be day 9) so I'm really excited to see what day 90 or 180 is going to look like. Embarrassing out of shape before pictures are ready to be posted once I have not so embarrassing after pictures to go with!

That early on the only difference you'll feel is an increasing tautness to your frame.

For fat loss I have heard two great analogies:

1) Fat loss is like tearing off sheets of paper towels, very gradual differences that occur evenly.

2) Visible fat loss occurs like the draining of a lake. Most noticeable at the extremities early on, with the center (belly) being the last to disappear.

Ravager61

Still doing 1/2 since its only been a week. I plan on just upping the difficulty with heavier resistance bands. I'll probably make the switch to 3/4 around day 30. I might get the master series and switch to that around day 60 depending on how 3/4 goes.

LaneDS

That early on the only difference you'll feel is an increasing tautness to your frame.

For fat loss I have heard two great analogies:

1) Fat loss is like tearing off sheets of paper towels, very gradual differences that occur evenly.

2) Visible fat loss occurs like the draining of a lake. Most noticeable at the extremities early on, with the center (belly) being the last to disappear.

I will keep that one in mind! I was running a couple weeks prior to starting the P90X so I think I might be starting to see the start of the cumulative effort. Maybe. I'm ok if it's just a placebo effect, because it feels pretty good.

Still doing 1/2 since its only been a week. I plan on just upping the difficulty with heavier resistance bands. I'll probably make the switch to 3/4 around day 30. I might get the master series and switch to that around day 60 depending on how 3/4 goes.

Or join us in p90x! I made the switch on like the 85th day...

Heard good things about the Master Series though

Restarted P90X last night after taking several weeks off due to a back injury...anyone have those moments of doing chest and back...and can't even do 15+ push-ups? I didn't care, just did what I can and felt good at the end.

Ab Ripper X...I still hate you.

Ravager61

Or join us in p90x! I made the switch on like the 85th day...

Heard good things about the Master Series though

I don't think I'm quite ready for p90x. Those pushups on P90 are tough. Especially the part where you have to do 7 wide, 7 close, and 7 regular. I can barely do that even on my knees.

Most everything else though I can do the recommended 8-15 reps.

I don't think I'm quite ready for p90x. Those pushups on P90 are tough. Especially the part where you have to do 7 wide, 7 close, and 7 regular. I can barely do that even on my knees.

If you can manage to keep the core a little tight during these push-ups and exhale at the right times, you can get a few more in. And don't keep up with the folks on the video, just do them at your own pace.

Do one, take a quick rest, go again.

Oh you will be ready :)

I couldn't do one single chair dip when I started

I was in the same boat and thought I was going to do 1/2 for the whole 90 days. Then 45 day came around I was suddenly ready for 3/4, and I thought I was set. Came 85th day it got too easy so I began to seriously consider X despite all of my worries

Snaku

Banned
After a few weeks of saving up I ordered P90X today from Amazon. My pull up bar was also delivered today too. I put it together and did a few to test it out with a chair assist, and my arms feel like they're shredded. Ow.

Day 1 this Thursday!

After a few weeks of saving up I ordered P90X today from Amazon. My pull up bar was also delivered today too. I put it together and did a few to test it out with a chair assist, and my arms feel like they're shredded. Ow.

Day 1 this Thursday!

If I may, I highly suggest getting a plyo/jump mat if you can afford it. It will make plyo a bit more comfortable (plyo is the hardest cardio) and it can double as a yoga mat...and you will need a mat for yoga anyway

LaneDS

Plyo, round 2 tonight. Already kind of afraid of the rockstar jumps or whatever they're called. Oh how my downstairs neighbors must hate me for that hour.

Top Bottom