• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

edit: holy crap, just reread your post and you're planning to do Chest/Shoulders/Tris, Ab Ribber X, and Cardio X in the span of 2.5 hours?

Starting now! Wish me luck!

(My legs hate me from yesterday, this almost certainly will end badly... but imma try anyway)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just don't push too hard! If you sideline yourself you'll be wishing you did 20 jumping jacks instead of being so ambitious. :p

Great appearance by Tony on AOTS. The guy is so likable and full of charisma. I definitely want to learn more about this Tony's kitchen thing. I'm sure it will be expensive as hell tho.

Also, shots fired at Insanity and Crossfit!

LaneDS

Just don't push too hard! If you sideline yourself you'll be wishing you did 20 jumping jacks instead of being so ambitious. :p

I did it! No breaks! First part (chest/shoulders/tris) was tough and I felt like the last time I did it (two weeks ago, when I had appendicitis but didn't yet realize it) I did more reps, but I still worked myself to exhaustion. Brought it for ab ripper x, maybe my best performance of that yet (still of course sucks compared to the video), and then immediately went into cardio x just to get it out of the way. Will I absolutely hate plyo tomorrow? Almost certainly! But I'm feeling pretty good about two hours of P90X for sure.

Phew.

grumble

I did it! No breaks! First part (chest/shoulders/tris) was tough and I felt like the last time I did it (two weeks ago, when I had appendicitis but didn't yet realize it) I did more reps, but I still worked myself to exhaustion. Brought it for ab ripper x, maybe my best performance of that yet (still of course sucks compared to the video), and then immediately went into cardio x just to get it out of the way. Will I absolutely hate plyo tomorrow? Almost certainly! But I'm feeling pretty good about two hours of P90X for sure.

Phew.

Might be kind of over doing it though haha, more isn't always better.

elfinke

Hey guys,

I'm into my third week of p90, and have been really enjoying it. The weight loss has been steady (~1-2kg/week), which is great, though like as others have said, the improvements are elsewhere. I've only recently added a protein shake for recovery purposes and found that has helped immensely, even though I'm not aiming anywhere near the suggested amount of protein intake per day.

I went out for dinner with some friends on the weekend and wore a favourite dress shirt I hadn't worn for a few months. I immediately noted how it sat differently across my shoulders and forearms. A great feeling and a great boost for when the scales aren't helping!

I've a question though, I really struggle with close pushups and dips in all of the routines. Fly and regular pushups I can power through ok, but man, hands in close and tight elbows and I'm done after just 2 or 3. And dips are just hopeless, even with my feet in close. What are some other good weight exercises I can add to the routine to help with this?

Cheers!

LaneDS

Might be kind of over doing it though haha, more isn't always better.

Definitely do not see myself doing that on all resistance-training days, but it was a fun challenge for today. Might totally disagree tomorrow when I wake up and can't move though.

Hey guys,

I'm into my third week of p90, and have been really enjoying it. The weight loss has been steady (~1-2kg/week), which is great, though like as others have said, the improvements are elsewhere. I've only recently added a protein shake for recovery purposes and found that has helped immensely, even though I'm not aiming anywhere near the suggested amount of protein intake per day.

I went out for dinner with some friends on the weekend and wore a favourite dress shirt I hadn't worn for a few months. I immediately noted how it sat differently across my shoulders and forearms. A great feeling and a great boost for when the scales aren't helping!

I've a question though, I really struggle with close pushups and dips in all of the routines. Fly and regular pushups I can power through ok, but man, hands in close and tight elbows and I'm done after just 2 or 3. And dips are just hopeless, even with my feet in close. What are some other good weight exercises I can add to the routine to help with this?

Cheers!

Hi! It's really a matter of time. With the pushup you can use your knee. With the dip you just have to be patient and push yourself. As long as you are doing the resistance workouts you will see improvements

Hey guys,

Cheers!

Do as many of those push ups that you can, then switch to your knees on the ground. You will get stronger. For dips, try bringing your feet in closer than they do on the video and over time start putting your feet out further. Keep up the good work, gotta love clothes getting looser. Your pocket book won't tho ;)

Working out that much is simply counter productive. There is no reason to do that in a span of 2.5 hours.

I wouldn't say it's counter productive. Lots of hybrid's have you doing two types of workouts in one day. It is however an easy way to lead yourself into some type of injury. You just need to know your limits and don't put yourself into that danger zone.

LaneDS

Working out that much is simply counter productive. There is no reason to do that in a span of 2.5 hours.

Most days I am much more reasonable. Yesterday and today were "let's see what I am capable of" days. Tomorrow will be a "why did I do that?" day, probs.

ccbfan

I've done 3 workouts in less than a 2.5 hour period twice during my 2+ weeks so far.

Once was for Cardio X/shoulder and arms/ Ab Ripper and once for Cardio X/chest and back/ Ab Ripper.

Usually I start with Cardio X -> Eat ->rest a bit->actual scheduled workout -> sleep. This works with my schedule since I get home an hour to an hour and a half earlier than my wife. Sometimes though I end up working late and have to do Cardio X after dinner.

Cardio X/shoulder and arms/ Ab Ripper wasn't bad at all but Cardio X/chest and back/ Ab Ripper was hell.

The worst wasn't even a triple session. The worst was when I did Kenpo Karate right after I did Cardio X.

Well I finished Day 1 last night (Chest & Shoulders). I've been completely out of shape for years so I made it a little over a half hour in before my head was spinning like crazy and I felt I was going to pass out. However, it was fucking awesome. I hadnt felt like that in so long and its be eons since I've had such an endorphin rush. I drank a glass of that special orange drink (thats like an orange julius lite) and then cooked salmon/asparagus for dinner. I crashed around 1030PM for the first time in god knows how long that wasnt alcohol induced. Woke up this morning feeling great and refreshed. I cant WAIT to do plyometrics tonight!

I also now get the "GAHMAN POTATO SOOP" line. I started cracking up immediatley after she said it. Would absolutley.

Well I finished Day 1 last night (Chest & Shoulders). I've been completely out of shape for years so I made it a little over a half hour in before my head was spinning like crazy and I felt I was going to pass out. However, it was fucking awesome. I hadnt felt like that in so long and its be eons since I've had such an endorphin rush. I drank a glass of that special orange drink (thats like an orange julius lite) and then cooked salmon/asparagus for dinner. I crashed around 1030PM for the first time in god knows how long that wasnt alcohol induced. Woke up this morning feeling great and refreshed. I cant WAIT to do plyometrics tonight!

I also now get the "GAHMAN POTATO SOOP" line. I started cracking up immediatley after she said it. Would absolutley.

Brofist. I slept in like a lazy bitch this AM and need to do day two for Plyo tonight. The ab soreness is kicking in too...makes me feel like I accomplished something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Welcome and well done. Plyo for the first time is killer, it's more intense than any cardio work I had done before.

As to your "would"... you know about Maren, right?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hoo boy
KuGsj.gif

LaneDS

Awesome, good going man! Plyometric is... difficult. But what a workout. My legs are garbage today but I'm still going to bring it after work tonight.

And let's not ruin Maren for another poor soul... makes me laugh everytime she makes a face or says anything and takes me out of my zone.

Edit: I am too late. All is lost.

Awesome, good going man! Plyometric is... difficult. But what a workout. My legs are garbage today but I'm still going to bring it after work tonight.

And let's not ruin Maren for another poor soul... makes me laugh everytime she makes a face or says anything and takes me out of my zone.

Edit: I am too late. All is lost.

Thanks man. Trust me, it ruins nothing. Shes great to look at. In all honesty I thought you were gonna say she used to be a dude or something..

Makes a difference to me. Puts wrong thoughts into my head when I should be exercising.

Probably wouldn't be so bad if the stuff she'd done wasn't so insanely hardcore

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I got all the stuff I need for p90x, but I'm being a pussy and am stalling on the initial fit test. I feel like I need to get a handle on all the goddamn drinking I do (11am, workin from home, just took a pull of whiskey from the bottle) before I make any serious attempt at fitness. Is there an exercise program for functioning alcoholics?

LaneDS

I got all the stuff I need for p90x, but I'm being a pussy and am stalling on the initial fit test. I feel like I need to get a handle on all the goddamn drinking I do (11am, workin from home, just took a pull of whiskey from the bottle) before I make any serious attempt at fitness. Is there an exercise program for functioning alcoholics?

Sure is, it's called P90X, you have everything you need, now all you need to do is start it. Start today (preferrably later in the day, sober; drinking and exercising is never a good fit). You'll want to keep putting it off, but the best thing you can do is simply start. If you stick with it, you might find it'll be something you enjoy and that could deter you from drinking as much too.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
*sob* okay...which video warmup should I do before the fit test? Or should I just use common sense and stretch my arms/legs/back with the stretches I know?

LaneDS

*sob* okay...which video warmup should I do before the fit test? Or should I just use common sense and stretch my arms/legs/back with the stretches I know?

In addition to what Psychotext said, all the videos have a warm-up component to them for about five minutes or so. Generally a few stretches and things to get your heart rate up.

Good luck though; do it, and post your progress in here. It'll help.

RiZ III

So, first day. Man it was killer lol. I felt nauseous towards the end of it so I had to lay down for a bit. Haven't felt this nauseous from working out since the first day of track practice back in highschool! Didn't get time to finish off the ab ripper unfortunately. Will try to get that in tonight. Also, bands are kind of annoying and hard to use. I'll have to get dumbbells.

KingGondo

Banned
So, first day. Man it was killer lol. I felt nauseous towards the end of it so I had to lay down for a bit. Haven't felt this nauseous from working out since the first day of track practice back in highschool! Didn't get time to finish off the ab ripper unfortunately. Will try to get that in tonight.
It's corny, but Tony's mantra of "do your best, forget the rest" is very valuable. Never push yourself to the point of pain, nausea, or injury.

Oh, and have fun with Ab Ripper X. *evil laugh*

Welcome to the club! About to start my third week myself and enjoying it!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, first day. Man it was killer lol. I felt nauseous towards the end of it so I had to lay down for a bit. Haven't felt this nauseous from working out since the first day of track practice back in highschool! Didn't get time to finish off the ab ripper unfortunately. Will try to get that in tonight. Also, bands are kind of annoying and hard to use. I'll have to get dumbbells.
Welcome! I like the bands a lot, but they're not for everybody. I wish I could afford a dumbbell set to swtich it up.

what do u guys usually do on rest day??

i kinda wanna run lol
Depends how I'm feeling generally. Sometimes I do Cardio X, sometimes X Stretch, sometimes just a few static exercises or a run, or nothing at all. I slept horribly so I may just be doing X Stretch today, although I did just have a big lunch and should work some of it off. Gahhh, so tired.

Yeah seriously, what do you guys reccommend for rest day(Sunday for me)? Kenpo is my Saturday, but if I really like it I was thinking of doing that or the Cardio or the Ab Ripper X. I'm gonna have to do something..

Weekends are gonna be rough for me at first. I'm used to sitting in getting roasted and gaming all day. This is going to be interesting..

KingGondo

Banned
Yeah seriously, what do you guys reccommend for rest day(Sunday for me)? Kenpo is my Saturday, but if I really like it I was thinking of doing that or the Cardio or the Ab Ripper X. I'm gonna have to do something..

Weekends are gonna be rough for me at first. I'm used to sitting in getting roasted and gaming all day. This is going to be interesting..
On your first rest day, your body will be begging for relief if you pushed yourself properly.

I wouldn't do anything besides X Stretch until you're used to the program.

LaneDS

yea, didn't know if there was a good all-encompassing one to do, but i guess it doesn't really matter

Try X Stretch, honestly. It's very relaxed, but you'll still get a sweat going if I had to guess. See how you feel after that. Wouldn't be hard to do X Stretch followed by your "real" workout, aside from needing about two hours for both.

BeesEight

I'm going to post this in here since I think it's more related than putting in the fitness thread.

So, I've just started the Insanity routine and finished my first day of Plyometrics and Cardio circuit. I was really confident going in having conquered plyometrics in P90X and thinking this won't be that bad.

I was wrong.

This program, if this first day is anything to go by, is aptly named. The moves aren't nearly as intense as P90X but you are basically doing 20 straight minutes of training. Hell, the warm up alone had me clutching my knees by the end of its fifteen minutes.

I'm not sure if I would recommend this over P90X. I can definitely see it burning more, but I don't know if I would be able to complete it if I didn't have the training from Tony's routine.

Also, I'm following the diet this time and good god is 3300 calories a lot of food. I have so much difficulty finishing my meals.

Ixian

I'm going to post this in here since I think it's more related than putting in the fitness thread.

So, I've just started the Insanity routine and finished my first day of Plyometrics and Cardio circuit. I was really confident going in having conquered plyometrics in P90X and thinking this won't be that bad.

I was wrong.

This program, if this first day is anything to go by, is aptly named. The moves aren't nearly as intense as P90X but you are basically doing 20 straight minutes of training. Hell, the warm up alone had me clutching my knees by the end of its fifteen minutes.

I'm not sure if I would recommend this over P90X. I can definitely see it burning more, but I don't know if I would be able to complete it if I didn't have the training from Tony's routine.

Also, I'm following the diet this time and good god is 3300 calories a lot of food. I have so much difficulty finishing my meals.
Day one of Insanity is like getting punched in the stomach. Over the next month you get better at absorbing the blows, then day one of month two happens and it's like Insanity has found a way around your defenses. :p

Considering how many P90X people jump into Insanity (or vice versa), I'm surprised we haven't just made this the official Insanity thread as well, since not many people post in the actual Insanity thread. I'm personally looking forward to jumping into P90X after I get some PowerBlocks, then onwards to Insanity Asylum. :)

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Any recommendations for protein bars? Want to use them as snacks. Too many choices for my little brain to comprehend. Still waiting on my powerblocks to arrive in the mail so I can finally get started!

Top Bottom