• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

BeesEight

I'll never forget my first time through Insanity. It was at the start of summer. Never sweated so much in my entire life.

Oh god, this. I sweat a lot during regular exercises but it was coming off in buckets.

Day one of Insanity is like getting punched in the stomach. Over the next month you get better at absorbing the blows, then day one of month two happens and it's like Insanity has found a way around your defenses. :p

Considering how many P90X people jump into Insanity (or vice versa), I'm surprised we haven't just made this the official Insanity thread as well, since not many people post in the actual Insanity thread. I'm personally looking forward to jumping into P90X after I get some PowerBlocks, then onwards to Insanity Asylum. :)

That's good to hear it gets better. Right afterwards I had to check the calendar to see when this routine shows up again. I'm safe for five days.

And I think a general Beach Body thread would work really well too. The two seem pretty interchangeable and seem to have similar approaches.

And those powerblocks look really nice. I have adjustable dumbbells and they're a pain to change mid routine.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
For Clifs Bars, what's the difference between the builder bars and the originals? Can't see it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I am planning to do Insanity after I finish X2, but based on the 3 or 4 times I ran through an Insanity workout I feel like I might die trying to do those workouts 6 days a week. :p

X and X2 Plyo is hard, but nowhere close to Insanity. Although X and X2 work on different muscles, etc.

Someone tell me I can make it through Insanity. :)

BeesEight

I am planning to do Insanity after I finish X2, but based on the 3 or 4 times I ran through an Insanity workout I feel like I might die trying to do those workouts 6 days a week. :p

X and X2 Plyo is hard, but nowhere close to Insanity. Although X and X2 work on different muscles, etc.

Someone tell me I can make it through Insanity. :)

You can make it through Insanity.

I found it very comforting when I started taking breaks that I noticed the guys in the video also unable to complete the whole workout without stopping. Also, cardio training is suppose to be much faster than strength training.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I found it very comforting when I started taking breaks that I noticed the guys in the video also unable to complete the whole workout without stopping. Also, cardio training is suppose to be much faster than strength training.

Ha thanks.

I also found it helpful that half of his "class" had to take a break during the mix, helped me feel better about doing like 45% of the actual workout. :p

Heck, the times I did one Insanity workout just for something to do though, those are hard ass workouts.

Guevara

Builder bars are great, I use them as a light "lunch" along with a few other light meals during the work day. Vanilla Almond is the best but my store stopped carrying it recently.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I had to eat a few before I really got a taste for them, but the s'mores Builder's bars are amazing. Chocolate chip is great, too. Too many damn flavors to choose from now with all the new ones.

LaneDS

Quest Bars are also great.

These, as I understand it, are better for your body than the Builder's Bars because they don't use soy-based protein and have less sugar/carbs, but they're more expensive, not sold in stores (at least I think so), and aren't as tasty or even as fun to eat (the Quest bars are like, super high in fiber and much less tasty, though my roommate prefers them over Builder's).

As for Insanity, I'm with BeautifulMemory- I watched the Fit Test you're supposed to do for Insanity every two weeks and my downstairs neighbors would get me evicted. I feel bad enough doing plyometrics once a week, and that's not even close to as "jumpy" as Insanity appears to be. That said, I totally want to find a place to try it once I complete one or two rounds of P90X.

Tomorrow is day 45 of P90X! Even with my missed week, that still feels kind of cool. Felt so far away when day one was over, and now I can't imagine not completing this and going on to see what else I can achieve physically.

Ixian

These, as I understand it, are better for your body than the Builder's Bars because they don't use soy-based protein and have less sugar/carbs, but they're more expensive, not sold in stores (at least I think so), and aren't as tasty or even as fun to eat (the Quest bars are like, super high in fiber and much less tasty, though my roommate prefers them over Builder's).
They're not available in most stores, but you can find them at Vitamin Shoppes I believe. As for tasty/fun to eat... I personally prefer them to Clif's and I microwave them for 12 seconds or so before I eat them to make them even better. :) Opinions vary, of course.

By the way, mad props to you for jumping back into working out so soon after your surgery. When I had appendicitis, I could still barely walk after a week -- then again I didn't go to the hospital till I was nearly dead. :) But I'm still majorly impressed.

LaneDS

By the way, mad props to you for jumping back into working out so soon after your surgery. When I had appendicitis, I could still barely walk after a week -- then again I didn't go to the hospital till I was nearly dead. :) But I'm still majorly impressed.

Thanks dude! Did your appendix rupture before you went in? Mine hadn't quite gotten there (they said it was totally inflamed, but hadn't burst) so maybe that's part of why I was able to get back at it fairly quickly. After last Wednesday (my first day back to working out) I didn't much feel anything around my stitches and have mentally felt a whole lot better for pushing through it (although right now my legs hate me for the plyo workout I just did, but the results were probably my best yet).

Had a great moment today where my mind said "you can't do these" (the rock star jumps) and my body said otherwise and proved my mind wrong.

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
I don't fully get what this exercise is saying to do in the fit test:

Starting position: Seated with hands on the
floor at your sides, knees bent with feet on
the floor. Raise feet off the ground and bring knees in towards your chest .
Straighten legs back out and repeat movement without touching floor.

where do i extend them to? straight out?

Ixian

Thanks dude! Did your appendix rupture before you went in? Mine hadn't quite gotten there (they said it was totally inflamed, but hadn't burst) so maybe that's part of why I was able to get back at it fairly quickly. After last Wednesday (my first day back to working out) I didn't much feel anything around my stitches and have mentally felt a whole lot better for pushing through it (although right now my legs hate me for the plyo workout I just did, but the results were probably my best yet).

Had a great moment today where my mind said "you can't do these" (the rock star jumps) and my body said otherwise and proved my mind wrong.
My appendix had exploded and I was dumb and thought I was just having a bad multi-day stomachache after eating bad hot dogs or something, and then a few days later the pain started reaching my groin so I finally went to the hospital. As a bonus, this also happened right after I moved across the country to the Seattle area for college and right before my 18th birthday. Fun times. :) After that incident, I'm a lot more wary about pain with no identifiable cause, haha. Also, I get nauseous when I smell hot dogs now.

LaneDS

My appendix had exploded and I was dumb and thought I was just having a bad multi-day stomachache after eating bad hot dogs or something, and then a few days later the pain started reaching my groin so I finally went to the hospital. As a bonus, this also happened right after I moved across the country to the Seattle area for college and right before my 18th birthday. Fun times. :) After that incident, I'm a lot more wary about pain with no identifiable cause, haha. Also, I get nauseous when I smell hot dogs now.

Yikes! Glad to hear you got it taken care of and are now more wary in any case, but shame on the hot dogs.

Ixian

I'm on my last week of my second full round of Insanity. I currently have the following available to do after:
- P90X
- P90X2
- Insanity Asylum

Does anyone have opinions on a suggested order? I'm pretty weak so I'm thinking P90X -> either Asylum or P90X2 -> whatever one I didn't do previous round -> regular Insanity/Asylum hybrid that Harry Potter hooked me up with. I'm super psyched to get my Power Blocks and switch things up a bit! :D Gonna miss Shaun T's "C'mon ya'll... let's go!" -- might have to make that my morning alarm.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I'm on my last week of my second full round of Insanity. I currently have the following available to do after:
- P90X
- P90X2
- Insanity Asylum

Does anyone have opinions on a suggested order? I'm pretty weak so I'm thinking P90X -> either Asylum or P90X2 -> whatever one I didn't do previous round -> regular Insanity/Asylum hybrid that Harry Potter hooked me up with. I'm super psyched to get my Power Blocks and switch things up a bit! :D Gonna miss Shaun T's "C'mon ya'll... let's go!" -- might have to make that my morning alarm.

I'd recommend doing P90X2, and after you complete the program, you can start your own hybrids.

Absolutely! I've done a couple rounds of Insanity, but I fell out of exercising due to moving and just trying to bring up other aspects of my life. I just now started switching up my routine in hopes to get "that feeling" back, and doing Insanity again just reminded me that EVERYONE is in this boat at some point. The way I look at it is you can always get BETTER at it but it never stops being difficult.

Just gotta keep pushin'... :)

Just did total body for the first time. Took me forever to learn the forms. That was fun! Really like the foundational emphasis on core and balance.

What are your guys' thoughts on Ab Ripper X2? It's way more fun and relaxed for me than X, and I think that's because the core already gets engaged like crazy in the regular workout.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Ripper 2 is harder and more fun to me. In the original I only really struggled with the fifer scissors, but in 2, abrinome, phelon twist and tornado kick my butt.

In the original I struggled mightily with Heels to the Heaven and the one before it

abrinome is tricky for me because it is so easy to slack during it, at least for me

phelon twist...will have to do more. I liked it though

Tornado?I couldn't figure out when to lift my butt and when not to lol

I miss mason twist, tbh

Any recommendations for protein bars? Want to use them as snacks. Too many choices for my little brain to comprehend. Still waiting on my powerblocks to arrive in the mail so I can finally get started!

Clif Builder's Bar. All other opinions are wrong. Mint Chocolate Chip and Peanut Butter are popular flavors.

Plyometrics completely destroyed me last night before the warm up was even finished. I felt so guilty for quitting so soon. I'm going to walk a couple miles on my break today to compensate, but I'm definitely going to replace it with the Cardio X for a bit until I get some strength and endurance increased. My arms and legs are killing me today and I'm also quite tired, even after getting over 9 hours of sleep which is unusual for me.

GCNemesis

Any recommendations for protein bars? Want to use them as snacks. Too many choices for my little brain to comprehend. Still waiting on my powerblocks to arrive in the mail so I can finally get started!

I think the important piece when deciding what kind of protein bar to get is how you are going to use it: as a pre/post-workout snack or as a meal replacement. Some tips I've found may help those deciding between bars:

"If it's a snack, the bars should have less than 180 calories," advises Dawn Jackson Blatner, RD, the national media spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association in Chicago. "If it's a meal, the bar should be more than 200 calories and needs to be eaten with fruit and vegetables to satisfy you for four or more hours till you eat again."

In fact, substituting an energy bar-paired with an apple or veggie salad-for one meal each day can help you lose weight. "By adding fruits and vegetables, which are high in fiber and water, you'll feel more full," says Blatner. "This can help accelerate weight loss." If your goal is to drop a few pounds, Blatner says you need to read the nutrient label to make sure your meal-replacing bar contains:

-at least 200 calories
-3 grams or less saturated fat
-3 grams or more fiber (to help you feel full)
-at least 10 grams of protein (to help tide you over till your next meal)

My wife gave me an awesome Easter basket that just contained a variety of different protein bars so I've had a chance to try Clif Bars, Clif Builder's Protein Bars, Pure Protein Bars, and a variety of other commercially sold bars and I've found most to contain way too much sugar and saturated fat content for my liking (save for Pure Protein). I have not had Quest bars, but from what I've read about their nutritional content, it seems to be more in line with what an appropriate snack protein bar should be, although it being more cost prohibitive.

Because of these issues above and that I prefer to have something to snack on rather than have bars as a meal replacement, I've found a good method of making my own protein bars. There's a recipe for those interested (with nutritional information) I posted earlier in the thread which can be found HERE.

In short from everything I tried and have read about I find the quality of (snack) protein bars to be:
  1. Best - Homemade
  2. Better - Quest Bars (pricey)
  3. Good - Pure Protein Bars (180 calories, 2g sugar, 20g protein, more affordable than Quest)

For those looking into meal replacements, I have had PowerBar ProteinPlus Bars and Clif Builder's Protein Bars and while they are tasty, at 300 and 280 calories and 19g and 20g of sugar, respectively, you may want to watch your constant consumption of these. I'd lean towards the PowerBar over the Clif Builder's due to the reduced fat and sugar content (albeit slight) and three types of protein it contains (soy, whey, and casein) as I've found it sustains me more so than the Clif Bar.

With all that said, I've found that using lower-calorie protein bars as a snack during the day or pre/post workout, followed with a protein shake after a workout to be my preferred method of feeling full as well as best supplying myself with a sufficient amount of protein while maintaining a low sugar/fat consumption.

Hope this helps those with questions and looking for good places to start with protein bars!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In the original I struggled mightily with Heels to the Heaven and the one before it

abrinome is tricky for me because it is so easy to slack during it, at least for me

phelon twist...will have to do more. I liked it though

Tornado?I couldn't figure out when to lift my butt and when not to lol

I miss mason twist, tbh
Same, although I only know it from YogaX2, haven't tried ARX2 yet. It's too easy for me to lean out if I'm feeling weak, but it's clearly a great exercise. I'll have to give ARX2 a try soon. I really like the faster workout Alfarif posted in here for abs too, especially if I'm trying to get out the door a little quicker. It burns!

Fuck my sorry ass...I go through Plyo part 1, but barely. Not even going to PRETEND that I could do as many reps as those guys did, and not even going to pretend that I took more breaks than they did, but it feels good, minus the pain in my legs during the walk from North Station to the Children's Museum.

I didn't eat for like 5 hours prior, which I think helped, but man....a low fat chocolate milk and tuna salad never tasted so damn good. Thank god it's shoulders, arms and abs tonight. If it were legs I'd be Professor Xavier tomorrow.

Fuck my sorry ass...I go through Plyo part 1, but barely. Not even going to PRETEND that I could do as many reps as those guys did, and not even going to pretend that I took more breaks than they did, but it feels good, minus the pain in my legs during the walk from North Station to the Children's Museum.

I didn't eat for like 5 hours prior, which I think helped, but man....a low fat chocolate milk and tuna salad never tasted so damn good. Thank god it's shoulders, arms and abs tonight. If it were legs I'd be Professor Xavier tomorrow.

Dude I know what you mean. I finished my salmon from the night prior and my god man. Between that and the green beans, it was fucking INHALED. I was lapping up the damn juices off the plate like a dog even after the meal was gone.

GCNemesis

Fixed the link on homemade. And forwarded to myself for makage purposes.

Thanks for the catch man. I've gone ahead and updated the link.

Let us know how they work out for you, I look forward to people modifying the recipe to make it even more tasty! I've added some fat-free vanilla Chobani greek yogurt to the most recent batch and in addition to adding some protein, it's made the bars a little more light and fluffy.

LaneDS

You guys trying plyo for the first time, stick with it and wait and see; your results in a few short weeks are going to impress the hell out of yourselves. I remember thinking how impossible the knee tuck and rock star jumps were, and now a month and a half later I can do quite a few of each.

My advice also is to not quit on workouts early. If you're spent, let the DVD continue to play, and pickup when your body thinks you can get a few reps of an exercise in.

BeesEight

Holy shit, you are lucky.

An exploded appendix can be fatal. Mine was infected and almost burst and it was easily the worst thing I've ever gone through. I went one night of complete dry heaving and no sleep before I was taken to the hospital and got the diagnosis.

I thought I just had bad tacos. Have never liked them since. You may never want a hot dog again.

You guys trying plyo for the first time, stick with it and wait and see; your results in a few short weeks are going to impress the hell out of yourselves. I remember thinking how impossible the knee tuck and rock star jumps were, and now a month and a half later I can do quite a few of each.

My advice also is to not quit on workouts early. If you're spent, let the DVD continue to play, and pickup when your body thinks you can get a few reps of an exercise in.

OK will do. Shoulders and back tonight. My body already feels worn. Im sitting at my desk moving much slower than usual. Also, my Lean1 should arrive today!

LaneDS

OK will do. Shoulders and back tonight. My body already feels worn. Im sitting at my desk moving much slower than usual. Also, my Lean1 should arrive today!

Means you're on the right track, as far as I'm concerned. The first week I did P90X I think I woke up on night two or three due to sheer soreness; I've never felt that in my life. Obviously don't injure yourself and let pain be your guide, but as Tony would say it's all about getting out of your comfort zone because that's where the results are. That soreness is good, that soreness is expected, and you're doing a good job- impress yourself with shoulders/back later.

Means you're on the right track, as far as I'm concerned. The first week I did P90X I think I woke up on night two or three due to sheer soreness; I've never felt that in my life. Obviously don't injure yourself and let pain be your guide, but as Tony would say it's all about getting out of your comfort zone because that's where the results are. That soreness is good, that soreness is expected, and you're doing a good job- impress yourself with shoulders/back later.

Thanks alot. I don't know what'd I'd do without the support from you guys!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You're feeling the beginning of a glorious transformation that's all!

Hey which flavor did you get? I'm going to give another one a try after a couple months.

You're feeling the beginning of a glorious transformation that's all!

Hey which flavor did you get? I'm going to give another one a try after a couple months.

Cookies and Cream, but since I'm gonna be using it primarily for lunches I figured I'm gonna have to nab up another flavor within a week or so just so I don't get tired of drinking the same one. Most likely strawberry.

Ive drank that Shakeology choc shake for the past two mornings mixed with skim milk. It's not too bad, but I would never pay for what Beachbody is asking for it. The sample I received is good enough for me.

commish

protein bar advice

Wow, thank you so much! You are right - the relatively high amount of sugars in the Clif's bars made me pause a bit, but I ordered them anyway to try them out. Ideally I'd use these as a snack, but sometimes it'd replace a meal. I'll know better once I get into a routine. Thanks for the tips!

I received my first shipmean of Lean1 last night. I bought the chocolate flavor - pretty darn good, surprisingly! I just made a shake with water and ice and 2 scoops and I quite enjoyed it. Thanks for whoever gave me the tip.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
My breakfasts now are Muscle Milk, and that costs me about $10 a week. Any cheaper alternatives with a solid amount of calories to get me a good breakfast?

commish

My breakfasts now are Muscle Milk, and that costs me about $10 a week. Any cheaper alternatives with a solid amount of calories to get me a good breakfast?

I was actually thinking of using the protein shake as the basis for my daily breakfast. Doable? I really don't have time to make anything in the a.m.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
$10 a week (assuming you mean a 7 day week) is prooobably about as good as you can do.

Cookies and Cream, but since I'm gonna be using it primarily for lunches I figured I'm gonna have to nab up another flavor within a week or so just so I don't get tired of drinking the same one. Most likely strawberry.

Ive drank that Shakeology choc shake for the past two mornings mixed with skim milk. It's not too bad, but I would never pay for what Beachbody is asking for it. The sample I received is good enough for me.
Nice, lemme know how C&C is and I'll probably try that next! I really dig Vanilla Raspberry even just with water, but variety is teh spices of lifetron.

$10 a week (assuming you mean a 7 day week) is prooobably about as good as you can do.

Nice, lemme know how C&C is and I'll probably try that next! I really dig Vanilla Raspberry even just with water, but variety is teh spices of lifetron.

Will do. When I get the strawberry, I was thinking of tossing a banana in there for shits, gigs and flavor. Sounds like it'd be a fitting combo.

With all the talk of food....here's how I'm rolling, and I'd like to hear your guys approval.

Breakfast:
2x chobani no-fat (whatever flavor I grab)
2x hard boiled egg whites
1 packet of oatmeal

Snack
A pear or an apple, and later in the day it's a power bar (which will be made from home here shortly).

Lunch
It's either Tuna salad (w/ low sodium chunk light, that shit is nothing but protein according to the label), or my special chili. Ground Turkey, chorizo, white beans, tomato paste...etc. I'll dig up the recipe on my kindle and post it in a bit

Dinner
Same as above. I'm mixing in some tilapia, green beans and brown rice, or grilled chicken caesar (with minimal, if any, caesar), and sometimes swapping the romaine for spinach.

Surprisingly, it's all very tasty. My recovery drink is low fat chocolate milk.

I don't have a problem sticking to this routine for a long period of time because I'm keeping a 90/10 plan of sticking with it (90% of the time so that I don't hate myself for having a buffalo wing at a BBQ).

Top Bottom