• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

No they are for if you want to excerise without the DVDs

The app is great for helping you organize, reminders, taking photos, and keeping track of your diet.
Just bought the app, interface is confusing as hell but it seems useful once I figure out how it works

Also, what's better for body fat reduction? Classic or lean?

Just bought the app, interface is confusing as hell but it seems useful once I figure out how it works

Also, what's better for body fat reduction? Classic or lean?

Yeah it can be confusing at first, it's not perfect but I find it gets the job done

Re: fat reduction, if the only thing you want is pure weight loss - you do not care about stronger muscles (bigger or lean), best conditioning, or your appearance (like pack of abs). Lean is more than enough. If you are interested to see how far you can take, then try classics

Yeah it can be confusing at first, it's not perfect but I find it gets the job done

Re: fat reduction, if the only thing you want is pure weight loss - you do not care about stronger muscles (bigger or lean), best conditioning, or your appearance (like pack of abs). Lean is more than enough. If you are interested to see how far you can take, then try classics

Thanks, probably go with classic

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hehe, I hadn't even been using that one for that long! Been using the black one for phase 1 and 2, then upped it to the red two weeks ago... the black one still seems fine.

It did feel kind of awesome when it buckled and snapped. Glad it didn't smack me in the face...

GRR ILL JUST PRETEND IM THE HULK

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character
Just did X1 Yoga for the first time in about a year. WOW. That thing is incredibly difficult when you are doing it for the first time in a while.

"Crescent pose. It's back, it's one of our favorites."

Every Saturday from here on out is my goal.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I've had that happen on lawnmowers too, twice actually. I assume it snapped just below the handle? Grab the band itself instead on exercises that require you to get low.
Yeah, when my first band snapped it was also during lawnmowers. I make sure to use dumbbells on them now.

Hawkian, you should contact the company. They seem like good people, I bet they'd send you a replacement.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for the advice guys! It was exactly like you said, just a tiny bit below the handle. I'll clack Black Mountain tomorrow... maybe I can get a replacement and the orange heavy band in the same phone call.

LaneDS

Everyone have their P90X Diablo III contingency plans ready? Think I'm going to do the doubles schedule to balance out how sedentary I'll be (minus all the clicking) for a few days this week. That's some real talk right there GAF.

Everyone have their P90X Diablo III contingency plans ready? Think I'm going to do the doubles schedule to balance out how sedentary I'll be (minus all the clicking) for a few days this week. That's some real talk right there GAF.

I want to play but during the beta my laptop got so hot running it I think I could have fried an egg on it. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Still trying to will myself to decide whether or not to get it.
KuGsj.gif
Hummmm.

I dont have any dumbbells but I do have the 3 resistance bands that came with the package...

Should I consider getting some small weights or am I ok with what the package gave me?

Also, the first week of the program I wont be able to do any chin up exercises, my chin up bar doesnt exactly work well due its design. I need to do some extra modifications next week when i go the hardware store. Is it ok that i do the first week without it... or should I hold off starting the program until I have that bar setup (next monday instead of this monday)?

THx.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Chest, Shoulders & Triceps... holy fuck. Toughest workout yet for me. I couldn't even do a single one-armed push-up — somehow, they are even harder than they look, AND THEY LOOK HARD! I saw improvement in my push-up numbers in Chest & Back over the first three weeks, but it was a different story with all the new ones introduced today. I guess the fact that it was the first resistance training day after the recovery week doesn't help (and I had also been sitting on the couch playing SSX all day), but damn, I'm toast.

LaneDS said:
This may be the dumbest thing ever uttered on GAF, but I kind of had no idea how big this game was going to be. I guess it makes sense now I realize it's well over a decade in the making, but I just wasn't aware so many GAFers were PC gamers; that OT is ridiculous. I bought the first one when it first came out due to the hype, but it's just not my cup of tea. I hope you guys enjoy it, though!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Chest, Shoulders & Triceps... holy fuck. Toughest workout yet for me. I couldn't even do a single one-armed push-up — somehow, they are even harder than they look, AND THEY LOOK HARD! I saw improvement in my push-up numbers in Chest & Back over the first three weeks, but it was a different story with all the new ones introduced today. I guess the fact that it was the first resistance training day after the recovery week doesn't help (and I had also been sitting on the couch playing SSX all day), but damn, I'm toast.

This may be the dumbest thing ever uttered on GAF, but I kind of had no idea how big this game was going to be. I guess it makes sense now I realize it's well over a decade in the making, but I just wasn't aware so many GAFers were PC gamers; that OT is ridiculous. I bought the first one when it first came out due to the hype, but it's just not my cup of tea. I hope you guys enjoy it, though!
KuGsj.gif
Don't worry. After having done that workout, what, 5 times now I think, I can do... ONE! Hell yeah!

Feels badass while you're doing it though.
KuGsj.gif

I must say, I absolutely killed Plyo tonight. Probably my best personal performance on any workout yet. I took a Shot Block midway and I have energy to spare now. Normally when we get to the bonus I'm dying to quit but tonight I was yelling "BRING IT!" at the screen. And has anybody else experienced this moment?

Tony: I'm grabbing my knees... I'm hitting my own personal pause button!
Me: OH YEAH? TROUBLE KEEPING UP, TONY? *massive troll grin*

so good

Makes me feel a little better about him handing me my ass on every resistance workout.
LLShC.gif

I dont have any dumbbells but I do have the 3 resistance bands that came with the package...

Should I consider getting some small weights or am I ok with what the package gave me?

Also, the first week of the program I wont be able to do any chin up exercises, my chin up bar doesnt exactly work well due its design. I need to do some extra modifications next week when i go the hardware store. Is it ok that i do the first week without it... or should I hold off starting the program until I have that bar setup (next monday instead of this monday)?

THx.

You can start with those three bands and then add more later. You can always shorten the length on the bands you have to create more tension. As for the pull up bar, I'd suggest waiting until you can use yours since it's needed in the program the first week. Unless you have a way to use the bands to do the modified moves. Good luck and welcome!

KuGsj.gif
Don't worry. After having done that workout, what, 5 times now I think, I can do... ONE! Hell yeah!

Feels badass while you're doing it though.
KuGsj.gif

I must say, I absolutely killed Plyo tonight. Probably my best personal performance on any workout yet. I took a Shot Block midway and I have energy to spare now. Normally when we get to the bonus I'm dying to quit but tonight I was yelling "BRING IT!" at the screen. And has anybody else experienced this moment?

Tony: I'm grabbing my knees... I'm hitting my own personal pause button!
Me: OH YEAH? TROUBLE KEEPING UP, TONY? *massive troll grin*

so good

Makes me feel a little better about him handing me my ass on every resistance workout.

3eqbKl.jpg

LaneDS

I want to play but during the beta my laptop got so hot running it I think I could have fried an egg on it. :(

This is a bummer, but think of how much more productive you'll be than everyone else for the next few weeks!

Anyway, yes, core synergistics is mega hard. There is one section in the middle that I think chains the lunge-curl-press-reverse-curl-lunge business with the plank to chatturanga (sp?) run, and I pretty much want to die at that point. One day I will figure out which workouts are actually the hardest, because most days I say "this is the hardest!" and second guess myself the next.

Today starts phase three for me... pretty excited although I only slept a few hours last night so I might not get the results I want after work.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
This is a bummer, but think of how much more productive you'll be than everyone else for the next few weeks!

Anyway, yes, core synergistics is mega hard. There is one section in the middle that I think chains the lunge-curl-press-reverse-curl-lunge business with the plank to chatturanga (sp?) run, and I pretty much want to die at that point. One day I will figure out which workouts are actually the hardest, because most days I say "this is the hardest!" and second guess myself the next.

Today starts phase three for me... pretty excited although I only slept a few hours last night so I might not get the results I want after work.
This is what I consider to be the most complete/difficult exercise in the whole of P90X. Just crazy how much it works.

Didn't sleep much either, sigh. Do your best and, well, you know :p

I'm on Day 6 of P90 (still in Phase I). Starting to get a little easier, despite still having to do "easy mode" versions of most of the exercises. Also, I absolutely can NOT do dips by the end of the circuit workout. My arm feel to weak. Anyone else have this problem?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So this is technically my break week before I start Insanity. Should I do any videos just to keep me going? was debating doing something to keep me from feeling awful this week for not working out.

LaneDS

So this is technically my break week before I start Insanity. Should I do any videos just to keep me going? was debating doing something to keep me from feeling awful this week for not working out.

Voting yes, totally do something. If you workout, I don't know, three times this week versus your normal five or six, you will keep your body ready for what's to come next. Also, congrats on finishing X2 and the results man!

Hawkian said:
This is what I consider to be the most complete/difficult exercise in the whole of P90X. Just crazy how much it works.

Didn't sleep much either, sigh. Do your best and, well, you know :p

I'd high five you, sleep-deprived P90 buddy, but I'm too busy drinking coffee to sustain myself.

And yes, that one exercise is the worst/best. I do it with my 15 lb weights and if I make three passes (four reps per) I am absolutely crushed. I'm sure my form sucks there too, but again, totally crushed. Being alive seems like a great success after those are done.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Voting yes, totally do something. If you workout, I don't know, three times this week versus your normal five or six, you will keep your body ready for what's to come next. Also, congrats on finishing X2 and the results man!

Thanks!

I'll try to post some pictures soon. I look a lot better, but do still have the same shape to my belly, and a little bit of "tire" left around my waist. Hoping Insanity will push me over the edge, as I've been stuck at 202-205 lbs for like a month now.

I may just do a few random P90X videos this week. Kenpo is always an off-week favorite of mine.

OG Kush

Atleast do the cardio workouts to try and prepare you even a little bit for whats to come in insanity... :D God those first 2 weeks were crazy. Granted I did insanity before I even did p90x, so you'll be more ready for it than I was, but it still a tough workout.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Atleast do the cardio workouts to try and prepare you even a little bit for whats to come in insanity... :D God those first 2 weeks were crazy. Granted I did insanity before I even did p90x, so you'll be more ready for it than I was, but it still a tough workout.

I've done an Insanity video here and there for random workouts and they kill me. I feel like throwing up most of the time. :p p90X/2 does different enough exercises that Insanity feels like a whole new workout.

Usually I'll be feeling a bit tired, but good after the warm-up and be like "Oh yeah, 20 minutes left, I got this!" and 10 minutes later I'll be dead.

LaneDS

Thanks!

I'll try to post some pictures soon. I look a lot better, but do still have the same shape to my belly, and a little bit of "tire" left around my waist. Hoping Insanity will push me over the edge, as I've been stuck at 202-205 lbs for like a month now.

I may just do a few random P90X videos this week. Kenpo is always an off-week favorite of mine.

Sounds like a good plan for this week. How tall are you again?

HP- You're super lucky your goal is to gain weight; I think most of us here would like to have the goal in the opposite direction.

All- General opinions on working a long day and then trying to nap for 30-60 minutes before a workout? Generally I will try and workout immediately after work but today is one of those days where I know my lack of sleep on the previous night will mean so-so results on my workout tonight, so I'm curious what people here think about any kind of nap prior to a workout.

HP- You're super lucky your goal is to gain weight; I think most of us here would like to have the goal in the opposite direction.

All- General opinions on working a long day and then trying to nap for 30-60 minutes before a workout? Generally I will try and workout immediately after work but today is one of those days where I know my lack of sleep on the previous night will mean so-so results on my workout tonight, so I'm curious what people here think about any kind of nap prior to a workout.

I workout right when I get home from work also. I've never tried to nap before hand. If you're like me I usually become more tired after a nap but if you feel like you won't make it through the whole workout as of now a nap would probably be worth trying.

@DC - You run right? You could always get a few runs in this week before you start up. I wouldn't reccomend going too far into the Insanity library yet because you're body might not be prepared for it. The schedule does a good job of working you up through the routines. You could always do the fit test this week and again next week if you'd like.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Thanks for saying it
KuGsj.gif

I've done it. It can pay off and it can backfire, hard. How are you at not oversleeping when you nap?

Jibbed

Hey guys, just looking for some advice. I've not really exercised in the last 6 months (university fresher), but I'm looking to get back in to shape over the summer. I attempted to start P90X today, and about 15 minutes in I just lost it - felt dizzy, no energy etc.. I assume this is down to my diet. I tend to be pretty inconsistent with my meals - would it be better to wait a week, ensure I eat properly, then start again next Monday? Or should I gradually ease myself back in to exercise straight away?

I'm pretty skinny (pretty much no fat whatsoever), but there's no muscle on me either.

Any further advice regarding preparation for P90X would be appreciated.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Hey guys, just looking for some advice. I've not really exercised in the last 6 months (university fresher), but I'm looking to get back in to shape over the summer. I attempted to start P90X today, and about 15 minutes in I just lost it - felt dizzy, no energy etc.. I assume this is down to my diet. I tend to be pretty inconsistent with my meals - would it be better to wait a week, ensure I eat properly, then start again next Monday? Or should I gradually ease myself back in to exercise straight away?

I'm pretty skinny (pretty much no fat whatsoever), but there's no muscle on me either.

Try doing Power90 temporarily (at least a couple weeks) to ease yourself into P90X. Chances are you'll struggle with Power90 at first also, and that's not a bad thing.

I'm on Day 6 of P90 (still in Phase I). Starting to get a little easier, despite still having to do "easy mode" versions of most of the exercises. Also, I absolutely can NOT do dips by the end of the circuit workout. My arm feel to weak. Anyone else have this problem?

Yes, I did when I was doing the same thing you are doing now. I had to skip dips completely the 1st week, couldn't even do one. How are you liking it?

LaneDS

Thanks, I'll ensure I eat properly today and give Power90 a shot tomorrow.

Yeah, no need to wait a week. Start reading over the nutrition guide, making better diet decision, eat something (like a protein bar) a couple hours prior to your workout, stay hydrated, don't overdo it, use a lot of commas in sentences, and then profit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

I'm 6' but have an odd body build thanks to my grandpa. I think my ideal weight would be 185/190.

@DC - You run right? You could always get a few runs in this week before you start up. I wouldn't reccomend going too far into the Insanity library yet because you're body might not be prepared for it. The schedule does a good job of working you up through the routines. You could always do the fit test this week and again next week if you'd like.

Yeah, I run on occasion. Did Couch to 5K last year and loved it. I was thinking of doing that a few days, and the fit test for Insanity one day.

LaneDS

I'm 6' but have an odd body build thanks to my grandpa. I think my ideal weight would be 185/190.

Very curious to hear how Insanity works for you, since I know I'll certainly have my spare tire after I finish P90X in 30 days or so, and probably still even after a second round of that (or X2, which I'm leaning towards).

I looked at my LoseIt! profile today (some iPhone app I started using years ago) and saw that three years ago I was as high as 240 lbs, which was the heaviest I've ever been. While I'm currently 196 and can only attribute a little of that to P90X I feel about as strong as I've ever felt so it's very exciting to see if I can push myself down to 180, 170, and eventually 160 lbs (I'm a stocky 5'8", for reference). This thread (and the weight loss thread) have a lot to do with my success, so cheers y'all.

ccbfan

Start week 5 yesterday so first week of phase 2.

Did chest, shoulders and bicep. Only crap at the new push ups. Didn't do 1 1-handed push ups correctly. The only ones I could do ok are the side movement ones and the slow mo ones.

Spending of over binging. I gains 7 pounds this week from Friday night to Sunday night.

Finished up yoga to end recovery week after work friday night weighing 165. Went out on friday night. Went to my in-laws on saturday. At 3 gigantic meals and the last one at 1 am (To celebrate mothers day), easily consumed 4000 calories. Sunday went to my parents for mothers day, again 3 huge meals, alcohol, snacks, ect.

Came back Sunday before weighed 172. I was like WTF.

LaneDS

Thanks man; I am. I'm sure sometime in the next year I'll post my three years ago pictures versus my this year photos, because those before/after shots are generally my favorite parts of these types of threads.

KingGondo

Banned
Today's my recovery day for week 4.

That first month flew by! Happy with my results so far. A noticeable increase in strength, overall muscle definition, and about 5 pounds lost.

I'm doing the Lean program, FWIW. I plan on doing Classic after I'm done with this round.

My goal is to amp up my weight loss for the final 2 months. I've gone from 10-12 beers/week to less than 6, and I'd like to cut back even more. It's tough during the NBA playoffs with friends over, but I need to remind myself of how far I've come (and how far I want to go).

Top Bottom