• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

OG Kush

Don't skimp on the stretches and don't push too much past your comfort zone.

You might also try taking some glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, and take a look at your diet to make sure it's not too carb-heavy, and switch away from vegetable oils in favor of extra virgin olive oil (these will help reduce inflammation).

i'm already low carb, and I;'ve got glucoasime/chrondoitin tablets but don't take regularly. Also do stretches as advised. I've been doing research and I think its from not having proper landing from when doing plyometrics.

When did Tony say that? I'm doing a lot of Insanity these days so I really hope I'm staying safe, e.g. trying to engage my muscles as much as I can during landing, not twisting my knees.

He said it when he came on Attack of the SHow on G4TV. I'm not blaming insanity or anything cos Insanity even advises this is not for beginners, and plyometric exercises should only be done after you have good base in fitness and make sure there are no muscle imbalances in your legs. From the research i've been doing I suggest you have a really good pair of cross fit shoes, with good padding, good surface to land on, and proper landing from jumps (land on the balls of your feet), full squats meaning you go to atleast your knees.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
When did Tony say that? I'm doing a lot of Insanity these days so I really hope I'm staying safe, e.g. trying to engage my muscles as much as I can during landing, not twisting my knees.

He has talked about Insanity and Crossfit on his video chats. Basically he said that it is more likely for you to get injured in those programs than in P90x.

hxa155

He said it when he came on Attack of the SHow on G4TV. I'm not blaming insanity or anything cos Insanity even advises this is not for beginners, and plyometric exercises should only be done after you have good base in fitness and make sure there are no muscle imbalances in your legs. From the research i've been doing I suggest you have a really good pair of cross fit shoes, with good padding, good surface to land on, and proper landing from jumps (land on the balls of your feet), full squats meaning you go to atleast your knees.

My right quad and calf are stronger than my left ones. So are my left lats, triceps, biceps and forearms. Should I stop training my right side for a while til my body's all balanced?

OG Kush

My right quad and calf are stronger than my left ones. So are my left lats, triceps, biceps and forearms. Should I stop training my right side for a while til my body's all balanced?

It depends how much stronger as its natural to generally have one side a little bit stronger than the other. If there are no major strenghth differences then it should be alright. Its not advised though when you have imbalances above or below the knee. I'm no expert though, just what I've gathered from reading online! Look into plyometric exercises and knee care, leg care etc if you want some more in depth informaation.

Ugh I can't make up my mind. Decided to do recovery week starting today, but after waking up early in the morning, now I feel rejuvenated and want to tackle P90X2 phase 2. But chest/back/balance looks so scary =(

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Ugh I can't make up my mind. Decided to do recovery week starting today, but after waking up early in the morning, now I feel rejuvenated and want to tackle P90X2 phase 2. But chest/back/balance looks so scary =(

If you feel like you really need a recovery week, do the one from X1 instead and make some adjustments (instead of stretching and yoga do recovery and mobility and x2 yoga).

You are really going to need a recovered body in order to do ch+b+b. It's a though workout, superior to the one in the original.

If you feel like you really need a recovery week, do the one from X1 instead and make some adjustments (instead of stretching and yoga do recovery and mobility and x2 yoga).

You are really going to need a recovered body in order to do ch+b+b. It's a though workout, superior to the one in the original.

Thanks. I'm gonna take it. Oh and you didn't like doing yoga x2 three times a week? :)

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Tony Horton was right about Insanity, if you don't do it with proepr care, you can fuck shit up. Insanity was the first workout programma I did, after only dabbling ina bit of a gym work beforehand. Started back in August.. Still doing it semi-regulary and I think my knees are fucked. No pain (except back in october when i realised i wasn't squatting till atleast knees) but lots of clicking and popping and shit. I'm actually pretty worried now, but I don't want to stop insanity because its such a good workout.
When i do ab ripper x I feel a lot of clicking and today I heard a really low pop.
Anyone got any advice?

I have a similar issue doing P90X. My knees are sore only when I get in the squat position. If I'm walking around or doing anything else, I have no issues. It doesn't hurt that bad so I can still do the squat exercises, and I don't hear any pops or clicks, but it's definitely achy and it didn't go away after the recovery week. Are there any stretches I should do for my knees to help? Or should I take it easy with squats?

FOOTE

Added a sweet potato per day to my diet. I really feel that it's exactly what I needed, and they are tasty so that's an extra bonus.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ditto on the lack of sleep and thanks for the motivation in here. Really, this thread has been a huge part of my fitness changes and I can't thank you all enough. Time for some late-night Chest and Back...
edit: D'oh, it should be Chest/Shoulders/Tris... woops.

edit:Note to self

never do a cardio workout with wrist weights and chest/shoulders/tris on the same day

ow

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It's been a bad 2 weeks for eating for me. Was home part of the time and had a funeral in Arkansas last week that required 22 hours of driving in 2 days, thus bad road food.

I'm up 5 lbs from it all. :(

On the good side, I start Insanity today. Initial weight 207. Hoping to drop to 190 or so if possible. On both P90X and X2 I lost 20 lbs, so I'm hoping since Insanity is more cardio that I will lose as much or more.

Those that have done both P90 and Insanity, did you lose more on Insanity?

andycapps

Tony Horton was right about Insanity, if you don't do it with proepr care, you can fuck shit up. Insanity was the first workout programma I did, after only dabbling ina bit of a gym work beforehand. Started back in August.. Still doing it semi-regulary and I think my knees are fucked. No pain (except back in october when i realised i wasn't squatting till atleast knees) but lots of clicking and popping and shit. I'm actually pretty worried now, but I don't want to stop insanity because its such a good workout.
When i do ab ripper x I feel a lot of clicking and today I heard a really low pop.
Anyone got any advice?

My knees are fairly suspect so for Insanity I got some knee braces like this. I think it helps quite a bit.

LaneDS

My knees are fairly suspect so for Insanity I got some knee braces like this. I think it helps quite a bit.

I might have to try these. Seems so simple, but if it'll help knee problems I'm totally game.

On a similar note, does anyone use a back brace or something similar for any of the workouts? Ab ripper still always hurts my lower back more than anything, though I think my spine might be curved improperly since when I lay down on my back only my butt and upper back will touch the ground. Not sure if that's normal or not, or if I'm just stupid (or all of the above).

Anyway, day 64 for me today. Had a shitty day yesterday and am going to let rage bring me to new heights when I do chest/shoulders/triceps tonight (totally healthy guys, promise!).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I might have to try these. Seems so simple, but if it'll help knee problems I'm totally game.

On a similar note, does anyone use a back brace or something similar for any of the workouts? Ab ripper still always hurts my lower back more than anything, though I think my spine might be curved improperly since when I lay down on my back only my butt and upper back will touch the ground. Not sure if that's normal or not, or if I'm just stupid (or all of the above).

Anyway, day 64 for me today. Had a shitty day yesterday and am going to let rage bring me to new heights when I do chest/shoulders/triceps tonight (totally healthy guys, promise!).
Careful with that rage during the slowmo pushups
KuGsj.gif

Garryk

Spinal curvature

Your lower spine naturally curves inward, but there are extremes. If you look like the latter, there is a thread about monkey butt on GAF.

LaneDS

Spinal curvature

Your lower spine naturally curves inward, but there are extremes. If you look like the latter, there is a thread about monkey butt on GAF.

I had actually seen that thread previously, but if I have it it's not very extreme. That said, I might see a chiropractor anyway to see what can be done, but I am also working under the assumption that an hour plus a day of exercise and good dieting will help my spine in some regards.

Loving the pedaling Hawkian. Thanks for mentioning it. Although I'm pretty sure my coworkers think I'm nuts when I'm sitting on my stability ball and I'm pedaling.

Garryk

I had actually seen that thread previously, but if I have it it's not very extreme. That said, I might see a chiropractor anyway to see what can be done, but I am also working under the assumption that an hour plus a day of exercise and good dieting will help my spine in some regards.
I can vouch for this. I used to have all kinds of trouble with my lower back. I'm 6'4" so I know being tall comes with a price of some back pain, but a lot of it went away after I decided to start exercising. My biggest "quality of life" improvement from exercise was getting rid of carpal tunnel. My wrist pain used to be awful, but now they don't bother me at all.

LaneDS

I can vouch for this. I used to have all kinds of trouble with my lower back. I'm 6'4" so I know being tall comes with a price of some back pain, but a lot of it went away after I decided to start exercising. My biggest "quality of life" improvement from exercise was getting rid of carpal tunnel. My wrist pain used to be awful, but now they don't bother me at all.

Awesome; that is encouraging to hear. Glad it's helped you, and glad it will likely help me as well.

Along the same lines, I generally feel a lot better (minus when life throws you some shitty shit, but that's unavoidable) due to my physical changes. I figure in another two months of P90X (or X2 if I do that as a follow-up) I'll be the most physically fit I've ever been in my life (I'm 30, ugh, for reference). And that'll be pretty damn rad.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Loving the pedaling Hawkian. Thanks for mentioning it. Although I'm pretty sure my coworkers think I'm nuts when I'm sitting on my stability ball and I'm pedaling.
Awesome! And surreal to be pedaling while reading this
KuGsj.gif

I may be thought nuts by my coworkers too, but it's so convenient and addictive I don't really care. I forgot you were using the stability ball too, you must be getting an actual decent core workout at your desk! I'm thinking about getting a pedaler for my desk at home too. I spend so much time pedaling while doing work
browsing GAF
in the office, I might as well burn some calories while playing games
browsing GAF
at home.

edit: Lane, I'm officially teetering on/might have just crossed the line into "most fit I've been in my life" and it feels incredible (I'm 75 days into P90X). At any given moment I feel like I have so much more energy than I used to and I find myself going out of my way to do things in physically-challenging, almost inconvenient ways, just to prove to myself that I can. And I'm heading for "liking the way I look" for possibly the first time in my life as well. I was in truly terrible shape when I started, especially my upper body, and I really feel already like I've accomplished something for myself.

The one downside I have encountered is that I feel even worse than I used to when I don't get adequate sleep. I imagine it has to do with the fact that my body is demanding more energy to perform now than when I was weaker/less fit. It's a pity because I have chronic insomnia and frequently have a lot of trouble falling asleep even after I get in bed (like last night...) and I just feel so desperate to sleep for ages right now. This is countered by the feeling I get when I wake up when I DO have enough sleep though- instead of feeling groggy and barely capable of moving when I open my eyes (I'm not at all a morning person), I feel an actual "refreshed" and "rested" feeling and can spring out of bed, which is totally unprecedented for me. I just really need to work on being able to get at least 6 hours consistently and I'd feel great all the damn time.

andycapps

It's worth a shot. It helps me a lot. Seems to give me a bit more stability in my knees and helps more the next day.

KuGsj.gif

I may be thought nuts by my coworkers too, but it's so convenient and addictive I don't really care. I forgot you were using the stability ball too, you must be getting an actual decent core workout at your desk! I'm thinking about getting one for my desk at home too. I spend so much time pedaling while doing work
browsing GAF
browsing GAF
at home.

Check out the stability ball. You engage your core a lot when sitting on it. Makes you sit up straight too. I rotate between it and my regular office chair throughout the day while working
browsing GAF

LaneDS

KuGsj.gif

I may be thought nuts by my coworkers too, but it's so convenient and addictive I don't really care. I forgot you were using the stability ball too, you must be getting an actual decent core workout at your desk! I'm thinking about getting a pedaler for my desk at home too. I spend so much time pedaling while doing work
browsing GAF
browsing GAF
at home.

edit: Lane, I'm officially teetering on/might have just crossed the line into "most fit I've been in my life" and it feels incredible (I'm 75 days into P90X). At any given moment I feel like I have so much more energy than I used to and I find myself going out of my way to do things in physically-challenging, almost inconvenient ways, just to prove to myself that I can. And I'm heading for "liking the way I look" for possibly the first time in my life as well. I was in truly terrible shape when I started, especially my upper body, and I really feel already like I've accomplished something for myself.

The one downside I have encountered is that I feel even worse than I used to when I don't get adequate sleep. I imagine it has to do with the fact that my body is demanding more energy to perform now than when I was weaker/less fit. It's a pity because I have chronic insomnia and frequently have a lot of trouble falling asleep even after I get in bed (like last night...) and I just feel so desperate to sleep for ages right now. This is countered by the feeling I get when I wake up when I DO have enough sleep though- instead of feeling groggy and barely capable of moving when I open my eyes (I'm not at all a morning person), I feel an actual "refreshed" and "rested" feeling and can spring out of bed, which is totally unprecedented for me. I just really need to work on being able to get at least 6 hours consistently and I'd feel great all the damn time.

E-high five man, seriously. Imagine how you're going to look and feel by the end of the year- it's exciting stuff. I hope this thread (and the inevitable OT2) continues to keep people motivated and healthy for a long, long time.

Regarding your insomnia, do you ever take anything for it? I take between 5-10mg of melatonin on nights I know I need to sleep (work in the morning, basically) and it gets me yawning and less worried within an hour of taking it. Maybe it'll help? As I understand it, it's natural and seemed to lack side effects but maybe someone else can chime in.

Unrelated to the above, I've decided I'm going to invest in some Powerblocks. $300 is a lot, but I think eventually I'll be glad I own just one set and don't need to keep buying (and moving around) more sets of dumbbells.

Did first workout, Back and push ups....

holy moly was that hard. I can do about half the push ups they can do, and chin ups I do like 3-4 lol. Rome wasn't built in a day I guess?

Would it be better to do Lean for the first 30 days instead of classic if my intentions are more in line with losing a bit of fat and defining the muscle already there, as opposed to gaining muscles on my arms :p?

Does "Lean" still focus on abs and toning upper body without building huge mass?

I know its more meant for women (at least impression i got) but Im not in this to become a super arnold, just lean up, get 6 pack, and define those sexy guns.

And btw, this thread is amazing, and reading all your tips/feedback gives me inspiration. (Harry Potter you are amazing to listen to)

Hopefully Ill have some good photos after first month? heh... if i feel up to it ill post.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
E-high five man, seriously. Imagine how you're going to look and feel by the end of the year- it's exciting stuff. I hope this thread (and the inevitable OT2) continues to keep people motivated and healthy for a long, long time.

Regarding your insomnia, do you ever take anything for it? I take between 5-10mg of melatonin on nights I know I need to sleep (work in the morning, basically) and it gets me yawning and less worried within an hour of taking it. Maybe it'll help? As I understand it, it's natural and seemed to lack side effects but maybe someone else can chime in.

Unrelated to the above, I've decided I'm going to invest in some Powerblocks. $300 is a lot, but I think eventually I'll be glad I own just one set and don't need to keep buying (and moving around) more sets of dumbbells.
I've never tried melatonin in my life. This is as good a push to try it as any.

I would love to get a powerblocks set eventually, I just can't really spring for that much right now. But I love the concept.

Btw, I'm picking up Diablo 3 today. We should meet-up and do some of whatever the in-game equivalent of plyo push-ups is.

holy moly was that hard. I can do about half the push ups they can do, and chin ups I do like 3-4 lol. Rome wasn't built in a day I guess?
You did better than I did first workout (assuming you mean unassisted chin-ups). Do nooot worry.

Would it be better to do Lean for the first 30 days instead of classic if my intentions are more in line with losing a bit of fat and defining the muscle already there, as opposed to gaining muscles on my arms :p?

Does "Lean" still focus on abs and toning upper body without building huge mass?

I know its more meant for women (at least impression i got) but Im not in this to become a super arnold, just lean up, get 6 pack, and define those sexy guns.
Well... How much weight are you looking to lose? I considered Lean at first too, but I was really interested in building some upper body strength and classic much better for that.

Lean arguably has more core focus than Classic because you do Core Synergistics as a regular (not recovery) workout. However, you'll burn plenty of calories in classic and you'd be hard-pressed not to lose weight if you stick to eating better as a part of your shift in overall fitness. I've lost... damn, over 20 pounds in 75 days on the Classic schedule. Felt so gradual to me it's sort of awesome to be reminded of how nuts that is.

And btw, this thread is amazing, and reading all your tips/feedback gives me inspiration. (Harry Potter you are amazing to listen to)

Hopefully Ill have some good photos after first month? heh... if i feel up to it ill post.
Seriously one of my all-time favorite threads on GAF. I came in thinking I'd get some tips to get started and figure out if it was right for me; turns out I've posted almost every day in here since I started.

Welcome aboard! I personally don't like the idea of the lean schedule much. It all depends on what you're lookig to lose. I feel like you will get a better calorie burn with classic. I believe there are only 2 days of Ab Ripper in lean. I'd say do a month of classic and if you don't like the results then try doing doubles in Month 2 (adding Cardio X on resistance days).

Remember there will be ups and downs, bad days and good. Just keep pressing play and you'll get to where you want to be.

Btw, I'm picking up Diablo 3 today. We should meet-up and do some of whatever the in-game equivalent of plyo push-ups is.

Count me in for this as well.

Ixian

Bodies are so weird; weighed myself today and I'm five pounds less than I was the same time last week, after having maintained my previous weight for a couple of weeks. I'm more interested in actual looks than the number on the scale mind you, and the change was already reflected on my body, but always interesting to watch the number catch up to the appearance. :p

Edit: I second/third the recommendation to just do the Classic schedule.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Seriously one of my all-time favorite threads on GAF. I came in thinking I'd get some tips to get started and figure out if it was right for me; turns out I've posted almost every day in here since I started.

Glad I could provide and awesome place for all the awesome people in here to help each other out! :p

On that note, did/could anyone answer my question from my post above? Those that have done both P90 and Insanity, did you lose more weight on Insanity?

I need to drop another 17 pounds or so, that's about what I lost on X and X2 (each).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wish I could help you there, deadliest of cyclones. Haven't done either one :p

I would say that Insanity seems like your best bet for raw weight loss. The burns people are posting on MFP from its workouts are just insane.

Glad I could provide and awesome place for all the awesome people in here to help each other out! :p

On that note, did/could anyone answer my question from my post above? Those that have done both P90 and Insanity, did you lose more weight on Insanity?

I need to drop another 17 pounds or so, that's about what I lost on X and X2 (each).

I lost the most on Insanity and that's what I was trying to do. I was doing an 1800 calorie diet at the time also. It was a dark time.

LaneDS

Hawkian- good luck with the melatonin. Start with 5 mg about an hour before you sleep, and I imagine you'll find yourself more yawn-y than normal by the time you want to fall asleep. Since it's natural, I don't wake up feeling groggy like if I took Nyquil or something medicinal (again, someone should chime in if I'm totally wrong).

Once I'm home later I'll figure out what my D3 tag is and post that in here. I think we'll have to do a P90X hardcore run; that seems like the plyo push-up (eff those things) equivalent.

RoadieTMA- Don't do the lean! Keep on the classic schedule. It is good that you can't do all the exercises, that is normal and expected. Consider the chair-assisted pull and chin ups- you will get a lot more mileage out of that (or using the bands through the pull up bar option, but I think the chair assisted option is the right amount of challenging and easy). You'll surprise yourself with your results by the end of the first month (and get used to being sore... it'll stay with you to some extent the whole time if you're bringing it). Good luck!

Ixian

I've done Insanity twice and am currently working on P90X. I wanted to answer your question, but disregarding the fact that I've yet to complete P90X, I don't think I could do so fairly because when I started Insanity originally, I switched to a keto diet which likely impacted my results, and the second week of P90X I added some LeanGains/Eat Stop Eat fasting in as well which will skew my results. That said, my suggestion would be to either keep grinding P90X or do a P90X/Insanity hybrid to help maintain your strength, since Insanity is almost all cardio and strength is really easy to lose.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

Weight:
1/8: 185 (start P90)
2/6: 177.4
3/7: 170.8
4/6: 166.2 (finish P90, start Insanity)
5/8: 162
This morning: 160.4 (Insanity day 43).

My target weight was 165, and I increased my calorie budget when I got there. It's all I can do to reach it. I'm not TRYING to lose weight. But the fat's burning off. Oh and my waist has gone from 39" to 32.5" as of 5/8. My hips were down 5" as well on that date.

Looks like my P90X will be waiting for me when I get home. Starting that on June 11, immediately following Insanity. That's when I'll do measurements again.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian- good luck with the melatonin. Start with 5 mg about an hour before you sleep, and I imagine you'll find yourself more yawn-y than normal by the time you want to fall asleep. Since it's natural, I don't wake up feeling groggy like if I took Nyquil or something medicinal (again, someone should chime in if I'm totally wrong).
Thanks! Can I just grab whatever they've got at Publix or is there a difference in source/quality?

Once I'm home later I'll figure out what my D3 tag is and post that in here. I think we'll have to do a P90X hardcore run; that seems like the plyo push-up (eff those things) equivalent.
Bring it!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I lost the most on Insanity and that's what I was trying to do. I was doing an 1800 calorie diet at the time also. It was a dark time.

Cool, although my diet is 1600-1800 during the week, a bit more on weekends. I don't necessarily do this on purpose, but I eat the same basic things every weekday with work and all.

I've done Insanity twice and am currently working on P90X. I wanted to answer your question, but disregarding the fact that I've yet to complete P90X, I don't think I could do so fairly because when I started Insanity originally, I switched to a keto diet which likely impacted my results, and the second week of P90X I added some LeanGains/Eat Stop Eat fasting in as well which will skew my results. That said, my suggestion would be to either keep grinding P90X or do a P90X/Insanity hybrid to help maintain your strength, since Insanity is almost all cardio and strength is really easy to lose.

Yeah, I worried about losing some strength. Seems like the minute you stop doing pull-ups/push-ups you lose that ability. I was thinking of just ending each Inanity workout with some basic moves from P90X.

Weight:
1/8: 185 (start P90)
2/6: 177.4
3/7: 170.8
4/6: 166.2 (finish P90, start Insanity)
5/8: 162
This morning: 160.4 (Insanity day 43).

My target weight was 165, and I increased my calorie budget when I got there. It's all I can do to reach it. I'm not TRYING to lose weight. But the fat's burning off. Oh and my waist has gone from 39" to 32.5" as of 5/8. My hips were down 5" as well on that date.

Looks like my P90X will be waiting for me when I get home. Starting that on June 11, immediately following Insanity. That's when I'll do measurements again.

Looks good to me. I'm 5'11 with a bit stockier body build so 185 would be the lowest I need to go. I'm hoping to drop from 207 (weight today) to 190 over the course of the program. I was 235 a year ago though. X2 caused me to lose 5" off my waist, it's awesome. :p

Top Bottom