• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Errmm you want to lose fat but maintain your weight- that means build muscle. Make sure you're maxing out around 8 reps on all the resistance exercises. Have you looked over the P90X nutrition guide? High protein intake is still very important but you can also eat plenty of carbs at this point. You probably want to have a diet that's somewhere between phases 2 and 3 in the guide.

edit: Back and Biceps... should be pretty easy on my foot, no?

Neifirst

Someone asked a little bit up, but does anyone know the magic combination to lose body fat, but not weight? Right now I'm 6'0 and sitting at 180lbs. In my mind I really like this weight, but my body fat this morning was 14.9%. Right now I'm around 1800 calories a day while doing p90x. Should I stick with those cals and keep eating a shitload of protein? I'm afraid I'm going to start looking like a stick man if I go below 180.

It's not the end-all be-all, but I used this calculator as a starting point when I decided I wanted to try and add some bulk through P90x:

http://www.howtobefit.com/caloric-needs-calculator.htm

I'm 5'11'' and am currently in my 3rd round of P90X. The first two times, I was around 1800 calories a day like you, and my weight dropped from 155 to 142 (not exactly what I was after). After finding this calculator, I upped my calories to 2400, and the results have been what I was after: my weight is up to 148lbs, but I have visibly added muscle in my arms, chest, back and legs. I'm thinking you may want to up your calories a bit to trigger a change in body composition, but of course I'm no expert.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
With an attachment, you can secure them to a door and perform a "pull-down," which approxmiates the exercises (targeting the same muscle groups).

edit: Beaten by cyclones

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I would say I got better results with bands, as the stool for Pull ups didn't work well for me. To each their own!

Insanity workout 1 done, I'm dead. Although I'll say that P90X2 helped immensely. I had done a few Insanity workouts as one offs over the last few years and did much worse than I did today. I was able to get at least 5 reps in every move today. Although I was dripping after the warm up, now it looks like I was swimming.

Dragon

Banned
Been working out over the past three months during my lunch break. And then I just work an extra hour before I head home. This usually works and for days with Ab Ripper X I psych myself up enough to do it when I get home. It's worked out great.

Also helps with Plyo on Tuesdays because I'm on the second floor of my condo complex and I know I make a shitload of noise doing that one. I'm seeing serious results. It's the best fucking feeling having someone do a double take when they see you without a shirt on. Anyone considering doing any of these programs don't hesitate. It makes you feel good about yourself and helps me with a great break between a long day at work.

Anyone else completely memorized Ab Ripper X by now? I know everything Tony says but I can't listen to music during it because of the Fifer Scissors/Hip Rock n Raise/Pulse Up trifecta. If I can't hear him telling me to switch I do it way too fast :p.

OG Kush

Anyone else completely memorized Ab Ripper X by now? I know everything Tony says but I can't listen to music during it because of the Fifer Scissors/Hip Rock n Raise/Pulse Up trifecta. If I can't hear him telling me to switch I do it way too fast :p.

Haha, and the way he says "AB... RIPPER.... X" in that weird voice while moving forward in a weird way as well.
"we're half way guys, funs almost over!"

I started P90 today. Probably a good thing I did this to start instead of P90X as I learned just how not flexible I am. Those Yoga moves are impossible for me right now.

That's exactly the one! Also downward dog with my feet planted is not happening.

Downward dog or upward dog? I have a hard time imagining being so inflexible that you can't do upward!

Upward dog for me because of lack of strength to push myself up. Downward dog is easier to cheat while thinking you are kind of doing it right

And yea, I still can't plant my feet doing downward.

LaneDS

Eff you plyometrics. Brought it like a beast today; lots of yelling and cursing at the TV, but in the best way possible.

Oh, and to the person who suggested a knee brace, thank you. Bought a similar one today and I think it helped with my left knee joint popping in and out (still did, some, just less so). To everyone else, thank you too, because this thread is a rad motivator.

hxa155

dammit does Back and Biceps ever get easier? lol

im on my second p90x round and i still have trouble finishing that workout without picking up lighter weights at the end of it

Thanks! I just came off a recovery week so maybe it was just me being really well rested but I was just blowing through those pushups. Felt good. Hopefully I can keep it up going forward.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I will say this, P90x2 uses quite different muscles than Insanity. It's only 5 hours or so after doing the first workout and I'm sore as hell. Good to be sore again, tells me I've got areas to improve. :p

SteeloDMZ

Banned
So today I learned about this "GOMAD" bulking plan. I don't know what to think about it yet. On one hand I love me some milk. On the other, it scares the fuck outta me the idea of gaining nasty fat instead of lean muscle.

I wonder if doing this "diet" (+ eating other healthy foods at the same time) while doing P90X too will balance things out. Hmmmm.

Also, does anyone have any experience with brewer's yeast? Apparently, it's a pretty good alternative (and cheaper) to a protein shake. It tastes horrible though.

So today I learned about this "GOMAD" bulking plan. I don't know what to think about it yet. On one hand I love me some milk. On the other, it scares the fuck outta me to gain too much fat instead of muscle.

I wonder if doing this "diet" while doing P90X too will balance things out. Hmmmm.

Also, does anyone have any experience with brewer's yeast? Apparently, it's a pretty good alternative (and cheaper) to a protein shake. It tastes horrible though.

GOMAD is a stupid diet aimed at the hardest of gainers. Its just more calories in the form of milk. If youre not poor and have time on your hands, you can get those calories in a much healthier way through extra meals and snacks.

GOMAD will not work with P90X either. It is supposed to be used with heavy weight lifting, specifically heavy compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, bench, military press, bent over rows, etc. A 5x5 or 3x5 set/rep scheme is used depending on how much of your 1RM youre lifting as well.

If youre trying to bulk P90x is not really the program you should be using either.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay what the hell, seriously? Where are you guys?!

I need my daily fix "just starting out, what are some tips?" and "urrrk rock star hops!" posts

I saw LaneDS hit level 10 in D3 last night so I know he's still alive at least.

deviant1

Starting Week 12 tonight and I'm amazed that I've stuck with this for this long and I have no plans to stop once I'm officially done with the 13 week program. I actually look forward to getting home and doing this everyday, I'll probably take a week off and get right back into a second round.

When I started P90X I couldn't do any pullups of any kind (in fact, never could do pullups my whole life). Doing Legs and Back on Monday, I was able to bust out 42 (17 chinups, 13 wide front, and 12 close grip) over the course of the 8 sets. Feels amazing to make that kind of progress in such a short amount of time.

LaneDS

I need my daily fix "just starting out, what are some tips?" and "urrrk rock star hops!" posts

I had only slept like four hours the previous night and then worked ten hours the next day- to say I didn't want to do back & biceps that evening was an understatement. But I forced myself to get the workout in, did pretty well, did ab ripper (crappily), and then felt good about not giving up.

And then yes, capped it by taking a barb to 10 as fast as I could. More P90X/Diablo tonight after work for sure!

Starting Week 12 tonight and I'm amazed that I've stuck with this for this long and I have no plans to stop once I'm officially done with the 13 week program. I actually look forward to getting home and doing this everyday, I'll probably take a week off and get right back into a second round.

When I started P90X I couldn't do any pullups of any kind (in fact, never could do pullups my whole life). Doing Legs and Back on Monday, I was able to bust out 42 (17 chinups, 13 wide front, and 12 close grip) over the course of the 8 sets. Feels amazing to make that kind of progress in such a short amount of time.

That is amazing progress! I haven't had a real good chance to see how many pull-ups I can do with a fully rested body, because I feel like I'm never fully rested due to P90X (and also work). But I've upped my reps in nearly every exercise in the last 67 (!) days so I'm pretty sure I probably went from being able to do five (at my peak a couple years ago I could do 12 or 13 in one go) to more than 10. Your numbers show very solid improvement as far as I'm concerned; good luck on your second rotation!

mehdi_san

I did Shoulders and Arms today, and that rock intro with the guitar always gets me so pumped up! I think that it may be my favorite workout in P90X. It has a nice pace, and my biceps always look so big in the mirror when I'm done haha. I also think that it's the funniest workout (remember when he talks about the triplets? No one can tell us apart! Lol). Especially love when Tony asks: what's the tip of the day? And then he stops breathing before telling the camera: BREATH!! There's also that moment he says "tip of the day: don't smash your face!!"
Anyway, so what are everyone's favorite workouts and favorite quote?

When I do sit ups/stomach crunches, sometimes during the upward thrust I feel something along, I think, the bottom area of my right rib cage, like a popping or even the sensation of two rough things overlapping. It's not painful at all, just strange. Any ideas?

Amirnol

Has anyone stayed on a fat shredder diet for their entire 90 days of P90X? I know the diet plan says to change things for each phase, but I also know that if I don't get my body fat down lower, I'll never see the ripped abs that I would really like. Right now I'm in the middle of week 6, still eating 1800-2000cal per day, 45% protein, 35% carb, 20% fat, and my last body fat meassuring had me at 13%, which I'm pretty happy with but would like to get down to somewhere in the 7-10%.

I know I'm bringing it in the workouts, but I'm very paranoid about the diet. I track it every day. I'd just like to know if I'm on the right track.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There's nothing wrong with staying at it the whole course, just make sure you're getting enough nutrition and calories :)

When I do sit ups/stomach crunches, sometimes during the upward thrust I feel something along, I think, the bottom area of my right rib cage, like a popping or even the sensation of two rough things overlapping. It's not painful at all, just strange. Any ideas?
Not sure what this could be, but if it does become painful at any time, even for just a second, immediately stop whatever you're doing.

Hmm I'm not sure what that could be. If it's not causing discomfort I wouldn't put too much worry into it but I'm not a doctor. I hear a lot of pops and cracks when I workout.

Yeah, no pain, and it's kind of random. Maybe it's because I just recently started working out and being bad out of shape. I'll keep a close watch on it.

Sunglasses fail Tony

Edit: I mean by seeing where his eyes are with Shawna sitting right next to him. Not fashion.

8vuDa.jpg

KingGondo

Banned
While we're bragging, I set a personal best of 30 stacked foot staggered hands pushups yesterday.

Felt good man (although prison cell pushups still kill me).

I'm in week 6 and really starting to see results. Makes it much easier to abstain from my vices when I know it's paying off.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Has anyone stayed on a fat shredder diet for their entire 90 days of P90X? I know the diet plan says to change things for each phase, but I also know that if I don't get my body fat down lower, I'll never see the ripped abs that I would really like. Right now I'm in the middle of week 6, still eating 1800-2000cal per day, 45% protein, 35% carb, 20% fat, and my last body fat meassuring had me at 13%, which I'm pretty happy with but would like to get down to somewhere in the 7-10%.

I know I'm bringing it in the workouts, but I'm very paranoid about the diet. I track it every day. I'd just like to know if I'm on the right track.

I'd like to know this. I'm currently at 18% fat and doing insanity (1 month in)

I'm using a bathroom scale to tell me my fat. I've dropped 3 kilo but only 1% in body fat.. is this right?

Insanity is the boss workout.

Ixian

Ate way too much at a company outing yesterday. My punishment was doing plyo on a full stomach, even though I hadn't eaten for a couple of hours by the time I got home. Never again!

Ate way too much at a company outing yesterday. My punishment was doing plyo on a full stomach, even though I hadn't eaten for a couple of hours by the time I got home. Never again!

Food politics in the office are ridiculous. I never take part in eating any cake for birthdays and people look at me like I'm a monster.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Food politics in the office are ridiculous. I never take part in eating any cake for birthdays and people look at me like I'm a monster.

Agreed, but I can't pass up cake, no matter the consequences. :p

Our area brings in donuts once a week, sometimes I'll have one, but I'll usually pass. Luckily I like all the people in my team and they are all fairly health conscious too. One donut a week isn't killing anyone though! :)

Ixian

I can't blame food politics really, we went to this thing called WhirlyBall and I overindulged and had some pizza, cookies, and other junky type stuff (though I also ate a salad I brought with me!). Calorie-wise I don't think I did too bad especially considering how active I was, but I do low-carb diet and definitely ate a lot of carbs yesterday. I'm kinda glad we don't really do the whole "celebrate birthdays with cakes!" things where I work, hah. Sometimes a manager will bring in donuts but I'm good about resisting that stuff.

You ever get people telling you you are too skinny and should stop "losing weight"?

I don't get that because I've stayed around the same weight while being at this job but I do get the "what? are you on a diet? hur hur" whenever I turn down anything sweet. Middle aged women eat SO much chocolate.

Tony just posted this on FB

"Motivational Tip number 2

Stop Comparing The Present To The Past.

Doing your best and forgetting the rest means to work as hard as you can right now and stop comparing today's workout to ones from your past. You are NOT going to see gains and improvements every time you exercise. Sometimes you'll be weaker on day 50 than you were on day 37. Weather, temperature, lack of sleep, missed supplements, too much stress, injuries, biorhythms, altitude, soreness from previous workouts and more all play a role on how you will perform on any given day. So give yourself a break and just show up."

I need to print this out and frame it.

Top Bottom