• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

D23

core syn fucking sux i hated that workout more than anything... id rather do plyo 5 times in a row and then do ab ripper x back to back...

BUT I LOVE IT :)

Ixian

http://www.amazon.com/PowerBlock-SportBlock-Adjustable-24-Pounds-Dumbbell/dp/B000A6T9I8/ref=cm_rdp_product[/url] <- this is such a good deal and I'm sure it's enough for me at first, but I have no doubt I'll outgrow 24lbs for at least a handful of exercises and there's no way to expand that set.
I'm pretty weak and already pull more than 24 pounds for stuff like Lawn Mower and Heavy Pants, though you can do stuff like strap ankle weights onto your arms for extra challenge. On the flipside, anything tricep related I usually use 10-20 pounds because god damn triceps.

So excited for Back and Biceps tonight! Looking forward to spending some time with my Chin-Up Max finally. :) And at last I get my introduction to the infamous corn cob pullups girl.

core syn fucking sux i hated that workout more than anything... id rather do plyo 5 times in a row and then do ab ripper x back to back...

BUT I LOVE IT :)

Yup. My boy edged me out in the end. Bout 3/4's way through, I was done, but he managed to make it till then (no bonus round though). But I have 89 more days to catch up and kick his butt!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm pretty weak and already pull more than 24 pounds for stuff like Lawn Mower and Heavy Pants, though you can do stuff like strap ankle weights onto your arms for extra challenge. On the flipside, anything tricep related I usually use 10-20 pounds because god damn triceps.
Yeah, I definitely don't want to feel like I lack enough weight at any point to make it worthwhile. Stuff like adding wrist weights or using both weights and bands just seems so cumbersome. I want to do this right!

Yeahhhh... looks like I'm just going to go for this, unless anybody feels like talking me out of it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerBlock-...06&category=158931&cmd=ViewItem#ht_500wt_1413

I'm thinking of it not as a $300 expense right now, but as an investment of $50/month (through Bill Me Later) for 6 months during which I can actively get the benefits and results from it. What say you P90GAF?

So excited for Back and Biceps tonight! Looking forward to spending some time with my Chin-Up Max finally. :) And at last I get my introduction to the infamous corn cob pullups girl.
fucking corn cobs.
KuGsj.gif

Yeah, I definitely don't want to feel like I lack enough weight at any point to make it worthwhile. Stuff like adding wrist weights or using both weights and bands just seems so cumbersome. I want to do this right!

Yeahhhh... looks like I'm just going to go for this, unless anybody feels like talking me out of it? http://www.ebay.com/itm/PowerBlock-...06&category=158931&cmd=ViewItem#ht_500wt_1413

I'm thinking of it not as a $300 expense right now, but as an investment of $50/month (through Bill Me Later) for 6 months during which I can actively get the benefits and results from it. What say you P90GAF?

fucking corn cobs.
KuGsj.gif

Get em dude. It's worth the money. It's just not practical to buy a whole set of weights at once. Plus they take up a lot of room.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Get em dude. It's worth the money. It's just not practical to buy a whole set of weights at once. Plus they take up a lot of room.
Yeah that's what appeals to me most. I can't believe how compact they are, and it seems really quick to switch- and it'd cost basically twice as much to build a set with these increments.

...bought. Should be here by Jun 18th which is when a P90X challenge group is starting that I might take part in.

I'm also texting a bit with someone I encountered while looking on craigslist, who is selling a Motoactv tracker for $125 with accessories. I've looked over all the options and it's by far the most appealing to me of anything out there (I only use motorola android phones) and I've wanted something like it for years but it's over $200 at least retail. I'll see if he comes through. This will be by far the most dough I've spent on my fitness since starting to get into this stuff at all, but I think I proved to myself I can take it seriously and make the investment worthwhile.

LaneDS

If you haven't ordered them yet (like me, ugh) Dick's Sporting Goods has the Powerblocks (5-50 lb ones) for $299 plus you get the stand which retails for $70 free. After taxes and shipping of course it's still over $350, but I figured I'd mention it since I think the stand would probably be nice to have (not bending over every time to switch weights would be nice).

All that said, still can't bring myself to do it. P90X is awesome, but just because it's at home doesn't mean that it's cheap (provided you get really into it).

Gumbie

I forgot to mention earlier that I really despise the stretching warmup in Kenpo X. All the other vids (including Yoga) I'm good, but for some reason a lot of those poses just seem awkward as hell. It also seems like that warmup is way too damn long.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Any specific shoes you guys like for P90X/Insanity? I have some of the Reebok RealFlex for running and I see they make a cross-training version so was debating that. Also was looking at the Vibram shoes.

LaneDS

I forgot to mention earlier that I really despise the stretching warmup in Kenpo X. All the other vids (including Yoga) I'm good, but for some reason a lot of those poses just seem awkward as hell. It also seems like that warmup is way too damn long.

You are not alone. My roommate and I both agree that shit is needlessly difficult right off the bat; seems like there should be five minute stretching before those stretches.

The stretching is far too intense for the purpose of warm-up. I had to pre-warm up in order to be somewhat comfortable for that stretch

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Any specific shoes you guys like for P90X/Insanity? I have some of the Reebok RealFlex for running and I see they make a cross-training version so was debating that. Also was looking at the Vibram shoes.

I have Nike Free Run 3+ that I've been using for Insanity, and Vibrams I used for P90 (and will use for P90X). I wouldn't use the Vibrams for Insanity or for P90X Plyo stuff.

Free Run 3+:
+ Nice & minimal & lightweight
+ Good cushioning for plyo work
- Bad lateral support. There's a lot of side to side in Insanity and these aren't the best shoes for that
- Bad for suicides/plank runs/in & outs/ski abs, etc. There's not really anything on the top of the toes. I wish it had rubber or something over the top of the toes for better support & protection.

If I had to do it over again, I'd lean more towards a crossfit/cross training type of shoe. The lateral & toe protection limitations are big issues IMO.

dab0ne

Well I started p90x this week. Just did legs and back today. Every workout is a rocker but I'm trying to stay with it. Hitting pause quite a bit though :p

Well I started p90x this week. Just did legs and back today. Every workout is a rocker but I'm trying to stay with it. Hitting pause quite a bit though :p

Right on! Legs and back is a killer. Damn wall squats. Don't worry about hitting pause, do what you can do and you'll be hanging in there with Tony and the kids before you know it.

LaneDS

Don't hit pause too much would be my advice. Do what you can in the time allotted and you'll get better in time. Keep a nice steady exhausted feeling active for an hour and you're doing it right, I'd say.

Edit: My post is better than Harry's because it is longer and has a fancy edit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you haven't ordered them yet (like me, ugh) Dick's Sporting Goods has the Powerblocks (5-50 lb ones) for $299 plus you get the stand which retails for $70 free. After taxes and shipping of course it's still over $350, but I figured I'd mention it since I think the stand would probably be nice to have (not bending over every time to switch weights would be nice).

All that said, still can't bring myself to do it. P90X is awesome, but just because it's at home doesn't mean that it's cheap (provided you get really into it).
The total price isn't as much of a big deal to me as the ability to use Bill Me Later... though that $50 is nice. :p I have a table I can set them on so I wouldn't need the stand so much anyway.

Already pulled the trigger my man. Let the swole begin

edit: Echo on the above regarding pause. Do your best, forget the rest ;)

embalm

Those pause comments bring up something I've always wondered, do others pause if they need a long break or just continue to the next routine or set when they do?

In P90x I feel like he gives you enough time to squeeze in all the reps you can do, so I never pause.

In Insanity I extend a good amount of the water breaks to catch my breath.

The total price isn't as much of a big deal to me as the ability to use Bill Me Later... though that $50 is nice. :p I have a table I can set them on so I wouldn't need the stand so much anyway.

Already pulled the trigger my man. Let the swole begin

You're going to love free weights. I don't have anything against bands, they do the trick, but nothing beats lifting that cold, heavy piece of iron.

Edit: lol, damn your LaneDS. :)

dab0ne

I'm definitely going to make it a point to push through without pausing but this is technically my first week so, as you can imagine, its a little rough.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Those pause comments bring up something I've always wondered, do others pause if they need a long break or just continue to the next routine or set when they do?

In P90x I feel like he gives you enough time to squeeze in all the reps you can do, so I never pause.

In Insanity I extend a good amount of the water breaks to catch my breath.

In Insanity, you're not supposed to push pause at all. You can take a quick break as needed during the exercises, but the whole idea is to keep to the interval timing. Just watch the others in the class on the video. They're taking breaks all the time. Don't feel bad about doing the same. Just catch your breath & get back in it. But never push pause.

Ixian

For me, I try to avoid pressing Pause unless I needed an extended break, like a quick trip to the bathroom or a few extra moments to adjust the weights on my PowerBlocks. For shorter breaks I just physically pause, take three quick breaths and keep going, though sometimes during Insanity I need to go to child's pose for a bit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
In Insanity, you're not supposed to push pause at all. You can take a quick break as needed during the exercises, but the whole idea is to keep to the interval timing. Just watch the others in the class on the video. They're taking breaks all the time. Don't feel bad about doing the same. Just catch your breath & get back in it. But never push pause.

I'm doing Insanity now, I usually take breaks at the end of a move set. I'll do as many of that move as I can, and stop a few seconds early to grab a breather. That way I don't miss any moves, and I don't have to pause.

LaneDS

Guys I am mega yawn-y and need to do yoga (x2). Motivation requested because I am changed and not getting up to actually exercise.

D23

wow... so i did shoulder & arms and then planning to take like a 10 minute break before i start ab ripper x. was just laying down in my carpet.... ended up fallen asleep for 2 hours, fuck lol. i did ab ripper x feeling groggy n tired as hell!! ugh.. o well

LaneDS

Knee braces for yoga? Curious what move you put those on for... I guess Warrior 3 and the related exercises?

My knees are kind of shitty as of late, so any extra is useful. Did X2 yoga (thanks again y'all!) and definitely was glad I had the braces for chair pose and a few others. All in all, a pretty successful workout. Paused once (after posting earlier in the day saying don't pause, ahem) around the 23 minutes remaining mark, but aside from that it went well. Woo.

I have an irrational hatred for Ted in that video, and I will do crane properly before December 31st.

Ixian

God damn, Back and Biceps. I got worked pretty hard early on and after the halfway point my left arm refused to do bicep curls over a certain weight, it was like my brain was saying "wtf are you doing!?" and didn't send the signals to my arm to do work until I lowered the weight. Definitely a good work out though, and one I'm excited to see improvements in in the future.

Gumbie

Last night was core synergistics again and yep it was still hard as hell. I did feel like I made a big improvement from last time, probably because I knew the moves better. My wife made the comment last night during the video "Tony is kind of an asshole in this one" during the part where he's yelling at Adam to lean further on the lunge dumbbell kickbacks.

Another thing funny thing...before I did core syn. I always had this impression of Adam as a "takes no shit, hardcore bad ass" from my time with Ab Ripper X because in that one he's no smiles all business. Then I found out the dude is like a big playful teddy bear in core syn. lol

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I always wondered if some people were doing certain workouts on their "off days" and some were really taking the ones they happened to be doing more seriously.

Wesley in Kenpo (despite only bleeding on the inside or whatever) is just a seriously bad example of the intensity needed to make that workout worthwhile. Katie annoys the crap out of me to no end in Back and Biceps, like she's bringing it way harder than she is. Adam is all goofy like you said in Core Syn, but makes me feel like a blob of fat in ARX when he's like a damn android.

I never feel like Tony's comments to "the kids" are that assholish, but damnit if I don't call him a douche every time he does half a set and then "goes to check on their form." Wall squats in legs and back have to be the most egregious example of this shit. THEY'RE WALL SQUATS TONY. GET THE FUCK BACK THERE AND DO IT WITH THE REST OF US.

rkn

I never feel like Tony's comments to "the kids" are that assholish, but damnit if I don't call him a douche every time he does half a set and then "goes to check on their form." Wall squats in legs and back have to be the most egregious example of this shit. THEY'RE WALL SQUATS TONY. GET THE FUCK BACK THERE AND DO IT WITH THE REST OF US.

I despise when Tony is showing form for an extended period of time, meaning you are holding the particular move a shit ton longer than necessary, this is evident during Yoga X, where you are doing warrior poses on one side much longer than the other, and most recently to me in X2 Ab Ripper, where people are getting all out of sync on certain moves.

LaneDS

I despise when Tony is showing form for an extended period of time, meaning you are holding the particular move a shit ton longer than necessary, this is evident during Yoga X, where you are doing warrior poses on one side much longer than the other, and most recently to me in X2 Ab Ripper, where people are getting all out of sync on certain moves.

I also hate this and wonder why it wasn't one of the things they tried to avoid for X2 (I've only done yoga for that program so far).

Gumbie

I always wondered if some people were doing certain workouts on their "off days" and some were really taking the ones they happened to be doing more seriously.

Wesley in Kenpo (despite only bleeding on the inside or whatever) is just a seriously bad example of the intensity needed to make that workout worthwhile. Katie annoys the crap out of me to no end in Back and Biceps, like she's bringing it way harder than she is. Adam is all goofy like you said in Core Syn, but makes me feel like a blob of fat in ARX when he's like a damn android.

I cracked up when Tony was showing how to bend your knees to get in horse stance and that standing up straight was NOT horse stance. I look in the back and Wesley fucking Idol is standing straight as an arrow punching away oblivious to everyone else squatting down and giving it their all.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.

You could always alternate which side you start with each time you do the workout, to even things out.

KingGondo

Banned
wow... so i did shoulder & arms and then planning to take like a 10 minute break before i start ab ripper x. was just laying down in my carpet.... ended up fallen asleep for 2 hours, fuck lol. i did ab ripper x feeling groggy n tired as hell!! ugh.. o well
Well, that sucks.

I know lots of people in this thread find it helpful to do ARX before the main resistance workout. It acts as a good warmup and I find that I can "bring it" far better if I do it before instead of after my main workout.

rkn

You could always alternate which side you start with each time you do the workout, to even things out.

Always do this, still annoying though. Another really odd moment is I believe during Shoulders & Arms, during the Static Arm Curls Round 1, it goes on for about a minute even after everyone does their "16".

I hate in Yoga X2 when you are doing Yogi bicycles he's says "you're going to be here for one minute ". IT'S LIKE A MINUTE AND 40 SECONDS DAMN IT!

embalm

I thought I heard them say it was important to bring down your heart rate and raise it back up in the video, so I attempted to do that. I'll start rolling it this way though.

Ab Ripper X before the resistance work out... I never thought of that... Holy crap that is a good idea.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've still never tried that (ARX first). I HIGHLY recommend doing some basic stretches (cat, downward dog, hamstring) before diving in, as the preceding workout warms you up normally.

KingGondo

Banned
I've still never tried that (ARX first). I HIGHLY recommend doing some basic stretches (cat, downward dog, hamstring) before diving in, as the preceding workout warms you up normally.
Yeah, not a bad idea.

Although I've found that In and Outs and Bicycles pretty well warm up the important areas without being too strenuous.

Doing it before is also a mental thing for me. If I get it out of the way, I don't find myself dreading it while I do Legs & Back or the other resistance workouts (which are all extremely draining anyways). Helps me focus on the main workout itself.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Few odd things about Insanity I've noticed. During moves like Level 1/2 drills Shawn always counts down from 8 and stops at 2. You'll do the push-ups then go into running in the plank stance and he'll stop at 2 and say "Up!"

Also, basketball drills. In Insanity you face the way he's facing (mirror) so in bball drills he's facing his left (right handed shot) so you're to face your right which results in a left handed shot. He does the same side all 3 sets, shouldn't you alternate sides?

Also I realized during one or two videos during stretching that he'll do one side, and do the other but leave out a few moves.

Just odd stuff. :p

Top Bottom