• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

OchreHand

Can you import pre-made diet plans into that site? I want to be good about P90X2 and dieting, but man do I hate trying to plan that shit out (even with helpful websites making it so much easier).

Also, good luck on starting up the program!

Not sure if there's any pre-made diets on there (haven't found any) But I did find this Wiki site on P90x that includes things that you can eat without having to cook.
I don't cook so that's been helpful.

also, one thing I find handy is that if you have the app, you can just use its barcode scanner to scan any products that you eat and it'll automatically add it to your list: calories, proteins, etc.

NICE results btw!

LaneDS

Thanks guys! And again, to stress, that is most certainly not P90X specific results (the day 1 through day 90 photos I'll post in ten days will show that), but I know I always like seeing before/after weight loss photos so I figured I'd share.

Poor bear GIF went unloved though. So very sad.

I'm thinking about trying this P90 thing to get in shape. I've always be on the skinnyfat side, but since a surgery, I got like... flabby. Didn't gained weight (I'm 130 lbs for a bit under 5'-6"), but I don't like how I look. Also, I've never been really active, so it would also be very good for my health.

I'm wondering two things : I sadly can't use a pull-up bar at home, can I use something else? Also, I'm in really bad shape (got zero cardio) so trying to start with the P90 would actually be better right? And from what I understand, I actually don't need the pull-up bar for the P90 stuff, so it could be better for me (for the moment at least)?

Ixian

I'm thinking about trying this P90 thing to get in shape. I've always be on the skinnyfat side, but since a surgery, I got like... flabby. Didn't gained weight (I'm 130 lbs for a bit under 5'-6"), but I don't like how I look. Also, I've never been really active, so it would also be very good for my health.

I'm wondering two things : I sadly can't use a pull-up bar at home, can I use something else? Also, I'm in really bad shape (got zero cardio) so trying to start with the P90 would actually be better right? And from what I understand, I actually don't need the pull-up bar for the P90 stuff, so it could be better for me (for the moment at least)?
Pull-up Bar Question: You can use resistance bands; I think the way it works is you anchor them over a closed door. At least one person in the P90X video does bands for demonstration purposes, though it's over a pipe rather than over a door.

P90 Stuff: If you have zero cardio then yeah P90 is probably the way to go for you. I can't answer whether or not it includes pullups, though.

---

Just got done with Chest, Shoulders and Triceps + Insane Abs and I'm hitting those calories hard. I signed up for My Fitness Pal over the weekend to get a good idea of my daily calorie intake, and on a day like today it goes something like 440 calories for lunch, ~180 for snack (spoonful of peanut butter before workout), 1149 calories for dinner (this includes a protein shake and a small container of greek yogurt). On non-resistance days I skip the protein shake and greek yogurt. I love getting all of those calories in after a workout, feels well-earned. :) Anyone wanna link up on MFP? I probably won't update it too often because I eat the same damned thing every day pretty much, but it could be another nice motivational tool.

Okay....had my 1st experience with P90X "Classic" tonight after I'd gotten home from work. Made it about 1/2 through it on a "Ehhh....why the f*ck not?" spur of the moment type thing. Yeah, I'm going to need some energy for this. Wowzers.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Make sure you:

- Drink a lot of water
- Sleep 7:30 to 8:00 hours
- Eat well

Otherwise you are going to bonk big time in the middle of a workout.

McNei1y

It looks like I'm going to go back to P90x after about a year where I stayed with it for 2 and 1/2 weeks. I missed a couple of exercises and after that it just fell apart. I'm hoping with my lack of school and my lack of job (just graduated and am on the job hunt) that I'll be able to have enough time and focus on it.

Does anyone else have the bands and not the dumbells? I don't have a set but the bands seem to work out.

On that 1st "Watch Me First" DVD, he mentioned something about "P90X Lean" in which it was more cardio based, is that what's on those DVDs as well? Or is it just doing selective parts of the exercises?

Ixian

On that 1st "Watch Me First" DVD, he mentioned something about "P90X Lean" in which it was more cardio based, is that what's on those DVDs as well? Or is it just doing selective parts of the exercises?
Lean drops Chest & Back and Plyometrics for Core Synergistics and Cardio X, which are all in the included DVDs. Cardio X is never done as part of the classic routine and Core Synergistics usually happens only during the recovery week.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Insanity Pure Cardio with Cardio Abs right after = death.

Next month it's Max Cardio Conditioning (45 minutes) plus Cardio Abs, though I've been doing Insane Abs (34 minutes) instead. I've been burning ~1100 calories doing this.

Only 4 more Insanity workouts for me (my last Max Interval Circuit shortly) and then it's on to P90X on Monday.

On P90: nope, no pull ups in P90. Pushups, mild cardio and resistance exercises with a small amount of yoga mixed in. You might want to consider buying the P90 Master Series -- I switched to Phase 3-4 after 30 days and was very bored doing the same few routines for 60 days. It would have been nice to be able to move to Phase 5-6 on day 60.

LaneDS

Bought my X2 equipment last night from Beachbody.com, and although I feel slightly fleeced for paying that much I figure I can kick the money towards the company in large part responsible for my being in shape. The amount of times I had to click "no thanks!" to special offers at the end was kind of ridiculous.

Went with:
-Rumbleroller
-65cm stability ball
-2x8 lb medicine balls

I figure that plus what I have already from P90X should be enough, though I considered a better mat. Also purchased a second knee brace because ouch. 1.5 weeks till X2 and I am excited. Lowest weight since starting this morning at 191.8, woo. Lowest I've been in the last three years (since previous page fat-Lane) was a bit over 180, so I really want to get under 180 by the time X2 is done.

CrankyJay

Banned
Ages ago I posted in the weight loss thread and actually used it much in the way I use this thread now as a good way to motivate myself and hopefully others. In fact, I am going to find my fat guy pictures and post those here for reference although they're not very relevant to P90X progress since the first 40 or so pounds lost came from just semi-random dieting and workouts at my local gym.

Here is the worst picture I could find of myself from maybe three years ago, somewhere around 240+ lbs: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/Picture22001.jpg

And here is today, day 80 of P90X attempt 1 (I'll do proper day day 1/30/60/90 photos soon): http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/photo.jpg

This is an animated GIF of a bear getting down: http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa230/LaneDS/41180726.gif

Damn dude, great progress. Ruggedly handsome.

Gumbie

I'm currently in week 4 and holy shit at core synergistics. I've brought it hard with that and Tony's one on one fountain of youth yoga this week, but tonight is Kenpo X. I thought about replacing it with Cardio X, but I might just use my 16 oz MMA sparing gloves for a bigger challenge. Anyone else use weighted gloves? Obviously I know it's more challenging but what muscles or abilities benefit from the added weight?

Anyways, just checking in to keep myself accountable more than anything really. All the results people have posted the past couple of pages are awesome, really inspirational stuff.

KingGondo

Banned
I'm currently in week 4 and holy shit at core synergistics. I've brought it hard with that and Tony's one on one fountain of youth yoga this week, but tonight is Kenpo X. I thought about replacing it with Cardio X, but I might just use my 16 oz MMA sparing gloves for a bigger challenge. Anyone else use weighted gloves? Obviously I know it's more challenging but what muscles or abilities benefit from the added weight?

Anyways, just checking in to keep myself accountable more than anything really. All the results people have posted the past couple of pages are awesome, really inspirational stuff.
I don't use weighted gloves, but with Kenpo X I have to think it would really help your upper arms and shoulders quite a bit.

And core synergistics is definitely hard, but rewarding. Bow to Boat can suck my balls, though.

FWIW, I've been doing the lean program and have seen excellent results all around--not just with weight loss. My muscle definition and overall body strength have seen a massive jump.

LaneDS

Damn dude, great progress. Ruggedly handsome.

Thanks man! I'm really excited to post P90X year 1 results sometime next year because I feel I can really push myself to genuinely fit levels in that time.

Anyone have a good recommendation on orthotics? I'm doing everything I can to keep my effed up knees less effed up (modifying when possible/knee braces/icing/glucosamine and chondroitin supplements soon) and that was recommended to me recently as another thing I could try.

Also, going to try some weighted gloves or wrist weights for kenpo too, good call y'all.

Thanks man! I'm really excited to post P90X year 1 results sometime next year because I feel I can really push myself to genuinely fit levels in that time.

Anyone have a good recommendation on orthotics? I'm doing everything I can to keep my effed up knees less effed up (modifying when possible/knee braces/icing/glucosamine and chondroitin supplements soon) and that was recommended to me recently as another thing I could try.

Also, going to try some weighted gloves or wrist weights for kenpo too, good call y'all.

If you have insurance I'd suggest seeing your doctor. Knee stuff is nothing to fuck around with. Could lead to serious problems down the road.

LaneDS

If you have insurance I'd suggest seeing your doctor. Knee stuff is nothing to fuck around with. Could lead to serious problems down the road.

Aye, I do, I just hate visiting the doctor as it usually feels like a waste of time and money but you're right. I just don't know what they'll say other than "take this pain medicine" or "you need surgery" so I'm trying to fix my diet (slowly cutting out the crazy amount of diet soda I've grown so accustomed to drinking, which I think is likely a big part of my problem) along with exercise/weight loss in the hopes they get better.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Congrats to all those that finished P90x recently!! Hawkian, Guevara damn nice job. I officially start this Sat and i'm inspired.
Thanks man! Stick with this thread and you'll get a ton of support, motivation, and questions answered. Couldn't have made it through without it, dead serious.
Great results Hawkian, congratulations!
Thanks a lot!

I use wrist/ankle weights for Kenpo X and Cardio X. Turns up the burn for sure. It's not all that much weight (4lb) on each wrist or ankle, I could up it to 5 each), so I don't know if it's doing much in terms of actual strength gain, but I burn way more at the least.

LaneDS, looking awesome man. Keep up the outstanding work and I'll have no choice but to do the same :)

Man do I love Shoulders and Arms. I feel like the HULK after doing it. o_O

Just under two weeks till I graduate P90X.
grin.gif

Will only be taking a 1-3 days off before starting another round. I don't know if I should stick with Classic or go Lean or Doubles. My upper body has seen the most improvement with Classic. My arms and shoulders and back are looking much better and actually have a decent amount of definition! Never had that before. P90X was not about weight loss for me but turning fat into muscle. I was pretty much skinny fat. I weigh 135 lbs now (started around 140) at 5'8ish and have toned up my body a lot but still have a bit of a soft stomach and pec/upper chest area. I don't think body weight wise I should be going any lower than where I'm at now. I just need to turn the remaining fat into muscle somehow. Anyone have an opinion on where I should go from here? I'm open to trying other programs too.

LaneDS

LaneDS, looking awesome man. Keep up the outstanding work and I'll have no choice but to do the same :)

Thanks dude, and you got yourself a deal. That goes for everyone posting (or reading) in here too- keep up the hard work and let's all impress ourselves/each other, ya dig?

Man do I love Shoulders and Arms. I feel like the HULK after doing it. o_O

Just under two weeks till I graduate P90X.
grin.gif

Will only be taking a 1-3 days off before starting another round. I don't know if I should stick with Classic or go Lean or Doubles. My upper body has seen the most improvement with Classic. My arms and shoulders and back are looking much better and actually have a decent amount of definition! Never had that before. P90X was not about weight loss for me but turning fat into muscle. I was pretty much skinny fat. I weigh 135 lbs now (started around 140) at 5'8ish and have toned up my body a lot but still have a bit of a soft stomach and pec/upper chest area. I don't think body weight wise I should be going any lower than where I'm at now. I just need to turn the remaining fat into muscle somehow. Anyone have an opinion on where I should go from here? I'm open to trying other programs too.

I'd avoid doing doubles from what you've said. Stick with classic and keep to the diet. Protein, protein, protein.

mehdi_san

I'd avoid doing doubles from what you've said. Stick with classic and keep to the diet. Protein, protein, protein.
Was it you who said earlier in the thread that you inflated your medicine balls before using them? I need to thank you because I'm an idiot and I was using them as received, and they were so soft it hurt my wrists when I used them for push ups. Now they're hard like basket balls, and it's way easier to stay stable on top of them.

Was it you who said earlier in the thread that you inflated your medicine balls before using them? I need to thank you because I'm an idiot and I was using them as received, and they were so soft it hurt my wrists when I used them for push ups. Now they're hard like basket balls, and it's way easier to stay stable on top of them.

Ya that was me. Glad you didn't injure yourself before inflating them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Chest, Shoulders, Tris... love flexing after this one. I wish they did one-arm push ups earlier in the set, though, so I wasn't pathetically struggling to crank one out.
KuGsj.gif

I decided that this week, instead of Week 1 of my second round, will be something of a rest/resistance week, and I'll start in earnest once I've got the additional equipment I want and a schedule worked out.

Hmmm advice time?

1. So I know I'm gonna need to be taking in more calories to start getting some bulk muscle growth now. But I realized that what I want most is to get rid of the bit of my gut that's left and get a six-pack, more than I want bigger arms or anything like that. I'm thinking I'll shred another 3-4 pounds on my current diet before starting to shift, but anybody have any tips on what to do here? I am so sick of this last bit of fat.

2. Really feel like I need to get some dumbbells to go after my new goals. To that end: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Block-P...ultDomain_0&hash=item53ed5f8aa8#ht_2365wt_906 :O Seems like SUCH a good deal. What do you guys think?

Ixian

Speaking of Chest, Shoulders and Tris, I thought I made it through my first day of it successfully, but I'm starting to feel the pain settle into my triceps like a pterodactyl coming in for a landing claws first.

2. Really feel like I need to get some dumbbells to go after my new goals. To that end: http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Block-P...ultDomain_0&hash=item53ed5f8aa8#ht_2365wt_906 :O Seems like SUCH a good deal. What do you guys think?
I swear by my PowerBlocks. That model looks different than mine though, not sure if it's an older one. If you can get a good deal on them go for it in my opinion; I started P90X with a set and I'm really glad I don't have to mess around with different sets of dumbbells (it takes like ten seconds to change the weight on the PowerBlocks).

Edit: I should note that I've done every workout except Back and Biceps (that comes tomorrow) and the only time I really experienced any awkwardness with the shape of the PowerBlocks was one move in Chest, Shoulders and Tris where you bring one down in front of your head and then behind your head, but it wasn't that bad.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Speaking of Chest, Shoulders and Tris, I thought I made it through my first day of it successfully, but I'm starting to feel the pain settle into my triceps like a pterodactyl coming in for a landing claws first.
That's the feeling of your inner pterodactyl clawing its way to the surface.

I swear by my PowerBlocks. That model looks different than mine though, not sure if it's an older one. If you can get a good deal on them go for it in my opinion; I started P90X with a set and I'm really glad I don't have to mess around with different sets of dumbbells (it takes like ten seconds to change the weight on the PowerBlocks).

Edit: I should note that I've done every workout except Back and Biceps (that comes tomorrow) and the only time I really experienced any awkwardness with the shape of the PowerBlocks was one move in Chest, Shoulders and Tris where you bring one down in front of your head and then behind your head, but it wasn't that bad.
Do you happen to know what model you have/what you paid?

Ixian

That's the feeling of your inner pterodactyl clawing its way to the surface.

Do you happen to know what model you have/what you paid?
Here are mine including price I paid; I was surprised Amazon Prime still got me free shipping! Only real difference I guess is there's no nifty label on the top of yours. I remember while I was reading reviews that apparently a newer model of the PowerBlocks came out with slight improvements at some point so I was thinking that the pair your eyeing might be an older model but I don't have any real way to know. :p

Ixian

Same weight increments. I wonder if that label really is the only difference.... :p
Yeah probably no big deal.

I just noticed that you can buy expansion kits for the PowerBlocks. I love these things!

Edit: Nevermind, the ones I haven't aren't expandable. Sigh. D: Oh well, guess I can flip them on Craigslist later.

D23

i need to get thos powerblock... gotta save up for it!

ANYWAY, what do u guys think is harder.. chest/back or chest/tri? shoulder&arms or back&biceps?

Gumbie

Chest, Shoulders, Tris... love flexing after this one. I wish they did one-arm push ups earlier in the set, though, so I wasn't pathetically struggling to crank one out.
KuGsj.gif

I decided that this week, instead of Week 1 of my second round, will be something of a rest/resistance week, and I'll start in earnest once I've got the additional equipment I want and a schedule worked out.

Hmmm advice time?

1. So I know I'm gonna need to be taking in more calories to start getting some bulk muscle growth now. But I realized that what I want most is to get rid of the bit of my gut that's left and get a six-pack, more than I want bigger arms or anything like that. I'm thinking I'll shred another 3-4 pounds on my current diet before starting to shift, but anybody have any tips on what to do here? I am so sick of this last bit of fat.

You should definitely check craigslist. I got a set of the Bowflex Selecttech dumbbells with the stand for around $250 about a year ago. They were practically brand new, if you buy them retail the dumbbells are $345 and the stand $137. Every once in awhile I check craigslist and almost always see selecttechs or powerblocks for sale. People buying them thinking they are gonna turn into the incredible hulk and after a week they say screw this and getting rid of them.

So last night Kenpo X with 16oz gloves was great. The entire workout I didn't think I felt a big difference with them, but at the end I took them off for some punches and holy shit I felt like Bruce Lee because I was able to move so fast. A couple hours after the workout I was definitely feeling sore. I recommend the weighted gloves to anyone who's considering it.

LaneDS

You should definitely check craigslist. I got a set of the Bowflex Selecttech dumbbells with the stand for around $250 about a year ago. They were practically brand new, if you buy them retail the dumbbells are $345 and the stand $137. Every once in awhile I check craigslist and almost always see selecttechs or powerblocks for sale. People buying them thinking they are gonna turn into the incredible hulk and after a week they say screw this and getting rid of them.

So last night Kenpo X with 16oz gloves was great. The entire workout I didn't think I felt a big difference with them, but at the end I took them off for some punches and holy shit I felt like Bruce Lee because I was able to move so fast. A couple hours after the workout I was definitely feeling sore. I recommend the weighted gloves to anyone who's considering it.

Is 16oz gloves semi-standard for this sort of thing? I'd have no idea what weight to get for something like that, but would like to try.

Hawkian- I forget, but how strict was/is your diet? I feel like doing fat-shredder esque stuff along with lots of cardio (is Insanity an option?) might get you losing that nagging fat.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm, what would I do, like WD40 the crap out of them?

It's a little too annoyingly far for a "let's just go see no big deal if they're worthless" trip.

Frustrating because http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A6T9I8/?tag=neogaf0e-20 <- this is such a good deal and I'm sure it's enough for me at first, but I have no doubt I'll outgrow 24lbs for at least a handful of exercises and there's no way to expand that set.

Hawkian- I forget, but how strict was/is your diet? I feel like doing fat-shredder esque stuff along with lots of cardio (is Insanity an option?) might get you losing that nagging fat.
Fairly strict low cal, low carb Fat Shredder with some lapses because I really goddamn love carbs. But I mean, it lost me 28 pounds, so it was effective. I guess from this I'll read into that maybe I should stick with my current diet/cardio activity for a while to try and lose the last bit of fat before switching over to my new goals, which isn't unexpected.

Did my 1st day of my P90X Lean with my 15 year old son who's fairly athletic:

Day 1 – Core Synergistics

It kicked his ass. I'm going to feel like death warmed over, thrown into a blender and then smeared over the hot pavement tomorrow.

Yup, looking forward to tomorrow.

Top Bottom