• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Does anyone have a recovery drink alternative? I don't have any of that stuff (borrowed my p90x from a friend) and don't really plan on getting it. I'm using a protein powder I got from a local store called Myofusion. I drink one scoop of it immediately after every workout? Is there a better alternative or should drinking this be an ok solution to not having the real deal?
The real deal is nothing special man.

Don't tell Tony this but the idea is just to get some protein into you in the refractory window after a workout. Any kind of protein shake is a great choice. Chocolate milk works just fine in a pinch. Hell you could eat some cottage cheese after your workout for the same effect.

edit: For the record I use Publix Greenwise Vanilla Whey Powder and almond milk.

Don't tell Tony this but the idea is just to get some protein into you in the refractory window after a workout. Any kind of protein shake is a great choice. Chocolate milk works just fine in a pinch. Hell you could eat some cottage cheese after your workout for the same effect.

edit: For the record I use Publix Greenwise Vanilla Whey Powder and almond milk.

Shakeology is just another fad thrown in for more money. My after workout special is composed of this:

Organic skim milk with http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/dym/elite.html and a tiny bowl of fruit to follow, or sometimes a Greek yogurt.

Don't tell Tony this but the idea is just to get some protein into you in the refractory window after a workout.

aAbyp.jpg

dab0ne

Ok cool thanks for the info guys. I didn't think it was that detrimental to use the "p90x" drink but wanted some more opinion. Cheers.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Shakeology is just another fad thrown in for more money.
Welllllll, I wouldn't go that far. Shakeology's not a protein shake or an after-workout supplement. It's a complete nutrition/meal replacement shake and the best one on the market by a decent margin (I say this without even having tried it... just done a lot of research).

That said it's outrageously overpriced.

Ok cool thanks for the info guys. I didn't think it was that detrimental to use the "p90x" drink but wanted some more opinion. Cheers.
It's not detrimental. That stuff works just fine, it's just not necessary.

On Shakeology: pretty much what Hawkian said. In fact, it is in their FAQ that you could drink it as a recovery drink - but there are better options and it is meant as a meal replacement

It isn't really a fad considering the type and number of ingredients in there

KingGondo

Banned
For people looking for an easy, delicious recovery drink:

horizon-organic-1-chocolate-milk-good-after-a-run.jpg

This stuff is the nectar of the gods. By far the best-tasting chocolate milk I've ever had, and it works great for recovery.

Just did Speed & Agility from Asylum. Confidence in my fitness completely destroyed lol.

Can't skip rope for shit
Calves were burning from the warm up
Breath and upper body coped fine

I thought Insanity worked my calves pretty hard but obviously not. 50 minutes flew over though. I also threw in Ab Ripper X2 for good measure. Gonna do that every second day along with the Asylum.

Sorry about that, thought he was asking about the unsweetened. I just bought a 12 pack to mix with some egg protein. I can't have lactose and this seems like a good alternative.

LaneDS

I've been using Optimal Nutrition Gold Standard Whey. The strawberry flavor is amazing with milk. Just like strawberry milk. It's great.

I also use C4 before workouts and it really gets you going. It tastes pretty good too. I'm a beast.

I use the ON whey just about after every workout I do, even if it's not a resistance workout (i.e. if i do yoga, I'll still have a 16 oz shake after). Seems to work pretty well. I will also blend up frozen fruit and include that with it, and it's one of the highlights of my day (is that sad? Probably!).

Pre-workout I do the Pharm Assault stuff, which I'm pretty sure is some mixture of poison and speed- it works great!

eosos

Banned
I use the ON whey just about after every workout I do, even if it's not a resistance workout (i.e. if i do yoga, I'll still have a 16 oz shake after). Seems to work pretty well. I will also blend up frozen fruit and include that with it, and it's one of the highlights of my day (is that sad? Probably!).

Pre-workout I do the Pharm Assault stuff, which I'm pretty sure is some mixture of poison and speed- it works great!

Does the Pharm Assault stuff make your body feel all hot and tingly(weird, I know) as well? The C4 does for me if I don't work hard enough so it's kind of an incentive to step it up.

LaneDS

Yeah absolutely. Says to drink it 20-30 minutes before working out, and 10-20 minutes after I drink it my body is tingling and I'm usually pretty energized for my workouts (especially if I ate something small a couple hours before and got a good amount of sleep the previous night... everything counts!).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah absolutely. Says to drink it 20-30 minutes before working out, and 10-20 minutes after I drink it my body is tingling and I'm usually pretty energized for my workouts (especially if I ate something small a couple hours before and got a good amount of sleep the previous night... everything counts!).
http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/musclepharm/assault.html Huh, buy 2 get one free on there, hope that deal sticks around. Does it have a long shelf life?

Definitely gonna look into that when I get into the growth phase. I'm sticking with fat shredder/extra cardio for a few more pounds because I noticed my stomach is finally starting to get more cut.

So for the moment I'm still doing a weird little cardio/ab/sporadic resistance/rest week, trying to drop a little bit more weight and maintain a good energy level. I will be doing my second round of P90X with a challenge group on Facebook through somebody I met on MFP, starting on the 18th. By then my Powerblocks should have arrived. I am PUMPED.

By the way, I'm loving the hell out of the Motoactv. It's a great, accurate tracker and has a ton of gravy features; I'm using it as a fulltime smartwatch.

LaneDS

That's a pretty fair price actually, good find! I'll check the expiration date on the two containers I have currently when I get home from work later and post my findings. I should really leave the stuff be, considering my goals are more in-line with what you're doing now Hawkian (i.e. I'd much rather get smaller and burn more fat than I would like to gain muscle), but I like the energy afforded to me by that drink too. That, and I don't want to let what I've purchased go to waste either.

D23

im kinda allergic to dairy and whey, always get acne like crazy so i use this instead

153-0673.jpg

now_pea_nutritional_facts.png

its pretty cheap, only $20 at swanson.. has like 27g of protein.
ull get used to the taste really fast

owlbeak

Week 3, Day 1 done! :D

Three weeks have flown by already and I'm pleased with results so far. I'll post before and +30 days pics at the end of next week!

LaneDS

Hawkian- two years for the Pharm Assault expiration date.

Recovery week, final recovery week, starts now.

Also, for as overpriced as Beachbody.com is, I would have expected better service- my order contained a second stability ball, and both of them are the 55cm one when I ordered a single 65cm one. Great job!

LaneDS

Ugh that's terrible! And their customer service is something I usually hear good thing about.

I mean, they didn't charge me for the second one, but having a second stability ball that's too small isn't exactly useful aside from being a backup. I'll be e-mailing them to try and get it corrected but shipping things back is one of my least favorite things to mess with.

I feel the same way every time I do P90X. It's a far superior workout to Chest & Shoulders IMO.

its just that i can work harder on chest & back since im not blown from the slow mo push ups, 3 twitch push ups, etc etc.. and the same goes for the back & biceps... my biceps feel like there going to explode(which i love) but i start failing on the pullups at the end lol.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
on the 1st day of the last month. it feels good going back to chest & back :)
I had the same experience yesterday!

Back to plyo today. I started off like shit as I ate WAY too much last night and got like four hours of sleep. Managed to get into a groove after the first round, though.

I mean, they didn't charge me for the second one, but having a second stability ball that's too small isn't exactly useful aside from being a backup. I'll be e-mailing them to try and get it corrected but shipping things back is one of my least favorite things to mess with.

Yeah it's really annoying.

Hey, it just hit me. How are you doing warrior 3 / one foot balance? I am asking because of your knee and X2 really has more moves about balance and mobility, so that might add impact to your knee...

LaneDS

Yeah it's really annoying.

Hey, it just hit me. How are you doing warrior 3 / one foot balance? I am asking because of your knee and X2 really has more moves about balance and mobility, so that might add impact to your knee...

That move, surprisingly, isn't so bad on my knees. It's pretty much only a problem when I'm bending them excessively (squats) or twisting the joints (kenpo, even throwing the punches early on). That said, I'm being careful with my legs when I can and using braces on both knees for every workout. Also started taking the joint supplments (Glucosamine/Chondroitin) just today, although reading up on those supplements online suggest they're not going to do much/anything for me.

X2 core yesterday kind of wore me out for today's recovery week yoga (did X2 in place of X1), but I did what I could and worked up a decent sweat.

Ill Saint

I'm camera shy!

I should mention that's 5 cycles over the course of 2+ years. I don't look particularly amazing. I never documented my progress, and I haven't followed the diet guide once... I eat what I want, when I want (but generally clean). Never had weight issues, so P90X is just a way for me to keep active and fit.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Day 2, Plyometrics. Honestly this is pretty tame compared to Insanity Max Interval Plyo, but still a great workout. I didn't have problems keeping up with the group for most of the moves. The slower pace is good though, it gives an opportunity to work on form and jumping height. Still I burned 812 calories so it's no cakewalk, either :)

LaneDS

annnnnnd +1. Goddamnit
KuGsj.gif

I guess the lesson here is don't get yourself in shape! Sorry man! Keep the focus on eating right and working hard and that should at least sorta help, promise.

Nice work Ill Saint! You should try following the diet more closely sometime to see if it gives you the results you're looking for, but five rotations is still no joke obviously.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hawkian- two years for the Pharm Assault expiration date.

Recovery week, final recovery week, starts now.
Awesome, that seems like a pretty damn worthwhile deal then.

Enjoy that last recovery week man. You've earned it!

edit: BAM
h5Kyl.png

(one of them was free)

Interesting flavors. I'm gearing up for a pretty epic sequence of P90X this go round...

Gumbie

its just that i can work harder on chest & back since im not blown from the slow mo push ups, 3 twitch push ups, etc etc.. and the same goes for the back & biceps... my biceps feel like there going to explode(which i love) but i start failing on the pullups at the end lol.

I did Chest, Back, and Triceps for the first time last night. Those pushups were a bitch, I really hated those 4 second slow mo ones. (but I loved them). The cast in this one was so dull. The lawyer Phil seemed like an arrogant asshole and the woman looked like she was about 60. She looked like she was struggling pretty bad and I was wondering if she was gonna have a heart attack. Also if she pulled her shorts up any higher she would have had to tuck her boobs in. I miss Maren, Bobby, and Scotty the one man band man.

LaneDS

Awesome, that seems like a pretty damn worthwhile deal then.

Enjoy that last recovery week man. You've earned it!

edit: BAM
h5Kyl.png

(one of them was free)

Interesting flavors. I'm gearing up for a pretty epic sequence of P90X this go round...

Nice, enjoy! And by enjoy I mean they all taste awful (I do 16oz of water plus a full scoop and will chug it because of how much I loathe the taste), but will give you a nice boost. The creatine will likely help too. Curious if you end up thinking the raspberry lemonade is the most palatable, like me.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nice, enjoy! And by enjoy I mean they all taste awful (I do 16oz of water plus a full scoop and will chug it because of how much I loathe the taste), but will give you a nice boost. The creatine will likely help too. Curious if you end up thinking the raspberry lemonade is the most palatable, like me.
It's the highest rated flavor, so that was the one I had the least hesitation buying. The other two I spent quite a few minutes trying to narrow down. I avoided orange mango because bad citrus flavors are bad, and I'm sort of a sucker for artificial Green Apple flavoring. I'm not expecting them to be Hawaiian Punch, though :p

I'm impressed with the reviews and the relative completeness of the product. It's looking like I'm going to keep going with fat shredder and trying to lose a bit more BF% until the end of the month, then switch to using that before every workout and going for full-on growth.

Btw check out the parkour/freerun circuit I did around a couple local college campuses last night (after the aforementioned heartbreak -_-):
Loving the Motoactv site, it's all so easy to track and modify :D

IGotBillySoSpooked

Low moral character

What does this Assault thing do? Is it comparable to NO Xplode or does it offer something beyond?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, already shipped. They're no joke.

Here's what the stuff's got:
GRlEm.png

Half of that's gibberish to me, but it's very well reviewed. Seems like it's pretty important to have had something substantial to eat before taking it prior to a workout, though.

Top Bottom