• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

owlbeak

Week 3 Day 3 done. Weighed myself afterwards for fun and down another pound to 170.5 and getting rather toned up in the back and arms. Down about 1" from my waist as well so far.

Edit: Also, I was craving pizza hard today. I went to the store and got a lean cuisine pepperoni pizza. Not too bad, nutritional wise. Definitely better than regular pizza. Are there any healthier (low carb, low fat) pizza recipes or alternatives?

LaneDS

If you're doing P90X you aren't a loser piece of shit in my mind.

Cheers to that notion.

birdcity- I've seen craziness that involves making your own pizza with crust made out of cauliflower, but I'm Italian and that seems sort of sinful to think about. Actual pizza or death for me.

owlbeak

Cheers to that notion.

birdcity- I've seen craziness that involves making your own pizza with crust made out of cauliflower, but I'm Italian and that seems sort of sinful to think about. Actual pizza or death for me.
That's blasphemy. I won't even entertain the thought haha.

When you break it down, I assume pizza's most bad part is the crust, no? Maybe I'll just make pizza with my low carb tortillas as a "crust" and low fat cheese and turkey pepperoni if there's no other options. I must have pizza occasionally!

LaneDS

I vote you work hard, skip those lean cuisine pizzas, and after you've worked hard enough reward yourself with a few slices of your favorite pizza. Also, slander cauliflower whilst eating the pizza.

owlbeak

I vote you work hard, skip those lean cuisine pizzas, and after you've worked hard enough reward yourself with a few slices of your favorite pizza. Also, slander cauliflower whilst eating the pizza.
Haha, this sounds like a good idea. Perhaps a few slices will await me after day 30.

Ate the lean cuisine one just now for dinner and it was enough to get rid of my pizza craving, so I should be good for a while.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Lean Cuisine products are filled with tons of not-so-good ingredients with names that are hard to spell (always a bad sign). You'd probably be better off making your own pizza in the future with your own "real" ingredients, to be honest. Or, if you have a Naked Pizza restaurant near you, try them. As someone who used to eat pizza 3-4 times a week, the place is a godsend to me. It's certainly not as good as real, greasy pizza, but it's (mostly) guilt-free!

Anyone do these exercises at the gym? I mainly throw in a few bench presses (lighter weight) after the workout just to work on those pecs for a slight bit.

oatmeal

Banned
My God...legs and back is killer.

Hurts to walk up stairs right now.

I'm still sore from Plyo...

Thankfully Kempo tomorrow, then I'll go for a 3 mile run on Friday for my off day.

LaneDS

Despite my wonky knees, I brought a level of intensity to kenpo today that I never had in the last 87 days of P90X. Definitely a good workout if you've got some things you need to let out (which I did! I punched and kicked angrily at thoughts of cauliflower pizza and ex-girlfriends!).

Ixian

When you break it down, I assume pizza's most bad part is the crust, no? Maybe I'll just make pizza with my low carb tortillas as a "crust" and low fat cheese and turkey pepperoni if there's no other options. I must have pizza occasionally!
I used to make pizzas using Flatout bread for the crust. I eventually stopped just because tomato sauce was an easy source of sugar for me to cut. The cauliflower pizza looks really good too, but psh doing work to make a crust when I can just use a wrap as a base. :p

owlbeak

Despite my wonky knees, I brought a level of intensity to kenpo today that I never had in the last 87 days of P90X. Definitely a good workout if you've got some things you need to let out (which I did! I punched and kicked angrily at thoughts of cauliflower pizza and ex-girlfriends!).
Man I love doing Kenpo when I have some frustration or anger about something, it helps so much.

Im on like day 24 and havent really lost any weight yet. I have toned up my stomach and chest a lot (bit of definition zomg)... i thought id have lost a pound or two by now but my averages are the same week to week. I coulda sworn people said they were losing weight fast, but it really hasnt happened for me.

LaneDS

Im on like day 24 and havent really lost any weight yet. I have toned up my stomach and chest a lot (bit of definition zomg)... i thought id have lost a pound or two by now but my averages are the same week to week. I coulda sworn people said they were losing weight fast, but it really hasnt happened for me.

I was the same way... didn't really lose much weight early on but could tell that I was losing fat and gaining muscle. So basically, keep working hard, keep eating right, and you'll get where you want to be.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If you're trying to lose weight (specifically), tell us about your diet and we can help :)

well... my diet is mostly same identical thing for breakfast everyday

2 scrambled eggs
1 english muffin with tiny bit of cream cheese
2 pieces of bacon
100g of yogurt (non fat)

lunch is usually my p90x recovery drink, some fruits like strawberries and raspberries. Really not much of a meal here. Any suggestions?

dinner is largely a 2cup salad (diced iceberg lettuce with green peppers and tiny bit of italian non fat dressing). Ill also usually have like 150g of chicken. Fried in pan with olive oil.

In between snacks are more yogurt, more fruit, and occasionally a stringed cheese.

My caloric average is roughly 1600-1800 a day. I weigh around 166lbs (average), and am 5'10. I know it sounds crazy to want to lose weight by those specs but I dont believe I am meant to carry this much weight as im a more naturally skinny person; some of the fat i have on love handles and chest/stomach area + face/chin just seems excessive that i need to shed a bit of it. I would think even with added muscles 150lbs-ish should be my target weight.

p90x fitness guide suggested I eat around 2200 calories a day, which ive not been doing; ive been doing a large deficit (1600-1800 daily). Maybe my body is feeling slightly starved and not kicking its metabolism into higher gear? I certainly dont feel starved by any means but I have had a few times where ive been hungry (later in day).

Any suggestions Hawk :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
well... my diet is mostly same identical thing for breakfast everyday

2 scrambled eggs
1 english muffin with tiny bit of cream cheese
2 pieces of bacon
100g of yogurt (non fat)

lunch is usually my p90x recovery drink, some fruits like strawberries and raspberries. Really not much of a meal here. Any suggestions?

dinner is largely a 2cup salad (diced iceberg lettuce with green peppers and tiny bit of italian non fat dressing). Ill also usually have like 150g of chicken. Fried in pan with olive oil.

In between snacks are more yogurt, more fruit, and occasionally a stringed cheese.

My caloric average is roughly 1600-1800 a day. I weigh around 166lbs (average), and am 5'10. I know it sounds crazy to want to lose weight by those specs but I dont believe I am meant to carry this much weight as im a more naturally skinny person; some of the fat i have on love handles and chest/stomach area + face/chin just seems excessive that i need to shed a bit of it. I would think even with added muscles 150lbs-ish should be my target weight.

p90x fitness guide suggested I eat around 2200 calories a day, which ive not been doing; ive been doing a large deficit (1600-1800 daily). Maybe my body is feeling slightly starved and not kicking its metabolism into higher gear? I certainly dont feel starved by any means but I have had a few times where ive been hungry (later in day).

Any suggestions Hawk :p
Sure.

I'm not at all surprised that you're losing fat, gaining muscle but not losing weight with those numbers. I am surprised that your described diet even adds up to 1600 though, as it sounds like less to me. I think you should probably add a little something to your lunch if you can. If a lot of the missing calories are yogurt- how many carbs are there in whatever kind you're eating? That's an easy target if they have 15g or more per serving.

But really, I wouldn't worry about reducing your intake. What I'd do if you're looking to lose weight soon is add some extra cardio. It doesn't have to be much- even 20 minutes of walking per day adds to your deficit and keeps your body burning. I don't know if GAF is behind this one, but I'd also suggest taking some green tea extract once or twice a day (a bit before workouts) to increase your calorie burn.

Three things I'd keep in mind though:
1. If you just stick to your current plan, you will almost definitely lose weight by the end of the cycle (probably ~10 lbs).
2. I'm about your height, and also quite naturally skinny. I'm around 150lbs right now (148 as of right now after one cycle through P90X) and I while I do want to reduce my body fat percentage at least 1 or 2 more percent, I also want to gain muscle, and I don't want you to be discouraged if you wind up weighing a bit more than "150 even with added muscles." Remember that a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same (obviously), but the muscle takes up 1/5 as much space.
3. If you feel very hungry, eat. You're not doing yourself any favors for weight loss or fitness if you feel hungry frequently. You know what's good to eat and what isn't- trust what your body is telling you.

Ixian

I would play around with your macros (ie: protein, fat, carb intake). I'm not sure you're getting enough protein in your diet, though it's kinda hard to tell without knowing how much yogurt you eat, what kind, etc.

Does anyone want to start a P90X2 round with me on July 2nd? I'm in the middle of my second month of Insanity right now, and will hit X2 afterward.

Last year I did P90X and Insanity at the same time. I thought I could do the same thing with X2, but within a couple of days I realized it was unfeasible. Mainly, I needed to build up my core a little so I could do more of the movements in X2 correctly... except for crunchy pull up. Fuck whoever came up with that right in the ear hole. I'm not risking my neck.

In X2, what's the most typical phase breakdown in weeks? 3 for each?

LaneDS

3 weeks of phase 1, 6 weeks of phase 2, 3 weeks of phase 3 and maybe one or two recovery weeks.

Since I'm still an X2 newbie, what's the reasoning behind the 3-6-3 breakdown? Where do the recovery weeks typically get inserted? Seems like the "90" in P90X2 is more of a guideline than with P90X.

Since I'm still an X2 newbie, what's the reasoning behind the 3-6-3 breakdown? Where do the recovery weeks typically get inserted? Seems like the "90" in P90X2 is more of a guideline than with P90X.

I did 4/4/4 but when I do it again I'd do 3/6/3 because for me I wan't more of the strength training routines. The second phase is much more like X than the rest of the program. The schedule is very flexible and you can play around with it as you please, inserting a recovery week in when you feel like you need it.

Phase 1 is very important but gets old real fast. I haven't done phase 3 yet but considering how intense it is and how you will be only doing 3 exercises (PAPs and yoga) I can see how there's no need to do it for an extended period of time

Tenacious-V

Thinks his PR is better than yours.
For those of you who are not sure about what weight you should be aiming for, I saw this site that bases it on your height and wrist size.

Of course not everyone has the same bone structure, so I thought it was interesting.

Since bone structure varies in size from person to person, researchers have added frame size as a factor in helping to determine someone's ideal weight. Knowing your frame size can help you set reasonable weight goals. Enter your height and wrist circumference and this calculator will use standard insurance industry tables to show your frame size and ideal weight range.

Putting in my information:

Male: 5'8"
Wrist: 6.25"

It says I have a small frame and should aim for 140 - 148 which is spot on to what I have been gunning for (145 - 150).

It might be a good estimation for some of you.

http://health.bizcalcs.com/Calculator.asp?Calc=Frame-Size-Wrist

OchreHand

I have an unexpected meeting tonight near NYC's Penn Station and didn't have time to prepare a meal.

What's a good protein and vegetable meal I can get on the go?

One Stop Naturals Vegan Turkey salad. One container has 28g of protein, 28g carbs with 11g of fat. And no Meat. I add some hot pepper flakes to help with the taste since its a little flat.. You can find it in Whole Foods

LaneDS

I have nothing to add except for that I'm really excited to start X2 next week, and finish Saturday's workout so I can officially say I "graduated" P90X (although maybe since I missed a week from surgery, I shouldn't say that).

Anyone ever find themselves drawn to fitness in part due to impending hair loss? That's me, for reference (among other reasons). Bald(ing) and fat- no ladies, but bald(ing) and fit- ladies. Legit reasoning right here.

Sure.

I'm not at all surprised that you're losing fat, gaining muscle but not losing weight with those numbers. I am surprised that your described diet even adds up to 1600 though, as it sounds like less to me. I think you should probably add a little something to your lunch if you can. If a lot of the missing calories are yogurt- how many carbs are there in whatever kind you're eating? That's an easy target if they have 15g or more per serving.

But really, I wouldn't worry about reducing your intake. What I'd do if you're looking to lose weight soon is add some extra cardio. It doesn't have to be much- even 20 minutes of walking per day adds to your deficit and keeps your body burning. I don't know if GAF is behind this one, but I'd also suggest taking some green tea extract once or twice a day (a bit before workouts) to increase your calorie burn.

Three things I'd keep in mind though:
1. If you just stick to your current plan, you will almost definitely lose weight by the end of the cycle (probably ~10 lbs).
2. I'm about your height, and also quite naturally skinny. I'm around 150lbs right now (148 as of right now after one cycle through P90X) and I while I do want to reduce my body fat percentage at least 1 or 2 more percent, I also want to gain muscle, and I don't want you to be discouraged if you wind up weighing a bit more than "150 even with added muscles." Remember that a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same (obviously), but the muscle takes up 1/5 as much space.
3. If you feel very hungry, eat. You're not doing yourself any favors for weight loss or fitness if you feel hungry frequently. You know what's good to eat and what isn't- trust what your body is telling you.

The yogurt i have is Astro Fat Free Zero (100g servings) - 35 calories total and 5g of carbs/3g of protein. What exactly did you mean by they are an easy target if they have more than 15g. You mean that would be a problem or that is good? I dont really consume much carbs at all as the guide told me to stick to high protein and low carb.

Yes some days I get to like 1450-1500 calories.

I guess ill try and add a bit extra cardio into my routine as well as eating a bit more (lunch). I dunno bout walking but I could just do another P90x cardio workout like Kenpo in the evening?

Also, what is this whole teaspoon of peanut butter trick people are doing? Is that if they need more protein in diet? I figured I was getting enough but ya never know.

LaneDS

Anyone here ever use those "fat burner" supplements most vitamin stores and bodybuilding.com sell? Curious if people have impressions, criticism, or praise for that kind of thing.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The yogurt i have is Astro Fat Free Zero (100g servings) - 35 calories total and 5g of carbs/3g of protein. What exactly did you mean by they are an easy target if they have more than 15g. You mean that would be a problem or that is good? I dont really consume much carbs at all as the guide told me to stick to high protein and low carb.

Yes some days I get to like 1450-1500 calories.

I guess ill try and add a bit extra cardio into my routine as well as eating a bit more (lunch). I dunno bout walking but I could just do another P90x cardio workout like Kenpo in the evening?

Also, what is this whole teaspoon of peanut butter trick people are doing? Is that if they need more protein in diet? I figured I was getting enough but ya never know.
Yeah, I meant if it had 15g of carbs you should replace it. That all sounds fine. Definitely throw in a Cardio X or Kenpo X if you've got the time and want to see faster weight loss! And i'll plug green tea extract again. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GLJSHO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Hehe. What would you like to know? Have only tried the Vanilla Raspberry flavor (which is oh so tasty) but other than that I'm pretty knowledgeable about it. Been using it for over 2 months with great results.

3phemeral

Almost missed Legs and Back. Had a tiny amount of spaghetti and knocked out til 11pm. Promptly got up, washed up and got back to Legs and Back. I've never worked out my ass like that.

eosos

Banned
Whey protein + water = disgusting. I accidently added water instead of milk today and I could barely power my way through it. That is all.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Whey protein + water = disgusting. I accidently added water instead of milk today and I could barely power my way through it. That is all.
*shudder* Best thing about Lean1 is how well it mixes with straight water.

My Powerblocks came!

Insta-review:
-Holy crap these things are amazing. I can't believe how trivially easy it is to change weights in a few seconds. This is gonna be good.
-These things way sold themselves short in terms of flexibility. There are two cylinders you can slide out from the handle that weigh 2.5lbs each, so really there are 2.5lb increments all the way from 10 to 50, aka 18 potential weight settings on each block.
-Cannot believe these are expandable to 70lbs per hand with extra plates. Based on the lugging them upstairs to my apartment I don't think I'm gonna need this any time soon.
-They look like they should be awkward, but the weight-distribution is brilliant. As soon as you pick it up it feels like a regular dumbbell.

Pumped to get my second cycle started now.

moramo

Banned
Hehe. What would you like to know? Have only tried the Vanilla Raspberry flavor (which is oh so tasty) but other than that I'm pretty knowledgeable about it. Been using it for over 2 months with great results.

:) i want to know can i use it as a meal replacement ? let me know more about your results

Top Bottom