• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

I usually will do a Clif Builder's bar (not great, admittedly, and should start buying/eating Quest bars instead) about two hours prior to any workout and try to get a fair amount of water throughout the day (good advice for anyone, of course) since the Pharm Assault packaging mentions how it's important to get enough water prior to taking it. Also recommends not having stimulants like coffee too close to taking it, because I'm pretty sure it'll explode your heart or something inconvenient.

Maybe it's cheating, but I know somedays after work when I am wrecked that stuff helps me push through the workouts. It's especially good on the resistance workout days and not quite as useful for something like yoga, at least for me.

Core syn tonight! At the end of P90X I am pretty convinced that one is the hardest workout.

So as it turns out, I completely misread the chart (I posted about this sometime last week in regards to the Power 90 Fat Burning Express Week), and to add the extra calories is for people who weigh as much as I do, but have LESS than 15% body fat, as opposed to more, which makes way more sense.

anyone else have to take off their clothes as the workouts progress? I usually make it 20 min before shirt comes off and sometimes shorts... way too sweaty and sticky that my clothing just gets in the way. I dont sweat profusely, it just way too sticky and uncomfortable.

Completed The Asylum - Strength today. Haven't done any weight related exercises in over 2 months.... The pain!

anyone else have to take off their clothes as the workouts progress? I usually make it 20 min before shirt comes off and sometimes shorts... way too sweaty and sticky that my clothing just gets in the way. I dont sweat profusely, it just way too sticky and uncomfortable.

lol im in boxer shorts from the get go.

Ixian

Yep, I work out shirtless and with a fan blowing on me because fuck being trapped with my high body heat output.

LaneDS

Core is probably my favorite P90X workout.

Despite how many f-bombs I just dropped while doing it, I recognize how fantastic a workout it is. Doing the lunge-kickback-curl-press-reverse curl move with goddamn 15 lbs dumbbells (no Powerblocks yet so that's the best I've got) is total murder.

Lots of anger in my workout today, which is probably both helping and hurting me; gotta get that shit in check.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Yesterday I said that P.A.P Lower wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but today my core and legs are sore as hell, which hasn't happened in a long time.

feelsgood.jpg

owlbeak

Man, napped all afternoon and missed my workout time. Woke up and did my Plyo for today and it was a struggle to get through on no energy almost. I should have tried the peanut butter trick but forgot until about 3/4 way through. But I made it! Week 3/Day 2 done.

Ixian

Chest Shoulders and Triceps #2 for me today. It is amazing how much trying to pump out some numbers early on in that workout can impact your performance later; I eked out a few extra reps with the first few exercises but kept the same numbers as last week with the remaining ones or slightly regressed in some cases. Not gonna beat myself up over it, though.

For the sake of variety I decided to give Ab Ripper X2 a shot and I love it! Gonna replace Insane Abs with that because fuck yeah half the workout time.

Also got my hands on some of that Cookies and Creme protein powder from Optimum Nutrition and it's tasty stuff. Kinda surprised by how much whey protein prices have gone up in the last year, though.

Am 3 days in to P90X Lean now that I've adjusted my diet and am able to resume the program (not enough stretching and eating enough protein & drinking enough water during the day) that had me suffering from horrendous hamstring aches.

What's better is that I've got my 15 year old son involved with me as well when I do it. A little friendly Father/Son competition right now. Not sure how long he'll stick with me, but I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

3phemeral

Did Yoga today and that was killer on the glutes, but those stretches in the aftermath are heaven. I was still sore from all of my workouts despite my protein intake, but after Yoga it's all smooth sailing.

Ixian

Did Yoga today and that was killer on the glutes, but those stretches in the aftermath are heaven. I was still sore from all of my workouts despite my protein intake, but after Yoga it's all smooth sailing.
X-Stretch is amazing for that too. Pushed myself really hard on Legs and Back, which increased the difficulty of Kenpo X and gave me a nice pair of sore legs, which X-Stretch did a good job of fixing.

3phemeral

X-Stretch is amazing for that too. Pushed myself really hard on Legs and Back, which increased the difficulty of Kenpo X and gave me a nice pair of sore legs, which X-Stretch did a good job of fixing.

I was actually excited for x stretch because I've been in pain these past three days, but thankfully yoga fixed that up quick. I've been even stretching on my own to prepare for yoga, but man, I'm so inflexible.

ccbfan

Rough last 10 days.

Went on vacation last week. Left Saturday and got back on Wednesday. Luckily it was recovery week. Drank and Ate like there no tomorrow.

Jump straight back on the wagon on Wednesday with my revised Recovery Week.

Wednesday - Core (Was dying since not exercising since Friday)
Thursday - Kenpo
Friday - Yoga

Ate and drank a ton of crap on Saturday and Sunday.

Started week 9, completely struggled with Chest and Back after not doing it for a month.

Then on Monday skipped working out (Plyo) because of D3 (More like OMG its 1 AM and I need to head to bed)

So Yesterday I decided to do Shoulder and Arms + Ab Ripper X + Plyo. In a 5 hour span. Wasn't too bad. Was struggling a little on Plyo but that's to be expected.

CrankyJay

Banned
I usually will do a Clif Builder's bar (not great, admittedly, and should start buying/eating Quest bars instead) about two hours prior to any workout and try to get a fair amount of water throughout the day (good advice for anyone, of course) since the Pharm Assault packaging mentions how it's important to get enough water prior to taking it. Also recommends not having stimulants like coffee too close to taking it, because I'm pretty sure it'll explode your heart or something inconvenient.

Maybe it's cheating, but I know somedays after work when I am wrecked that stuff helps me push through the workouts. It's especially good on the resistance workout days and not quite as useful for something like yoga, at least for me.

Core syn tonight! At the end of P90X I am pretty convinced that one is the hardest workout.

What's wrong with the Builder's bars? I started using them before workouts and have had a marked increase in energy during my workouts. They fit just fine into my macros as well. Heck, they have the same stats at the p90x bar.

LaneDS

What's wrong with the Builder's bars? I started using them before workouts and have had a marked increase in energy during my workouts. They fit just fine into my macros as well. Heck, they have the same stats at the p90x bar.

Ingredients wise they're not ideal, I'm told. Soy protein being the big offender, with high sugar probably being another one. They're also guilty of being way delicious, and as everyone knows that's a problem for healthy things!

Admittedly that's probably a terrible answer, and I still buy them because they're sold in stores by me and are about $1 cheaper per bar than the Quest ones.

Man, the Assault stuff already got here. Those guys are serious...

That was quick! I should make good on that promotion and order some while it's still active.

Oh, serious question for the thread at large- does anyone have some sample Fat Shredder diets/meals they can link me to or post? I'm super terrible at going through the nutrition guide and translating that into "here are my meals for the day". With X2 starting next week I'd really like to give myself at least 30 days of strict dieting adhering to Fat Shredder. Looks like all told I lost right around 15 pounds with P90X (and I probably missed 10-15 workouts due to surgery/random happenings) with not too much attention paid to diet aside from eat less/eat better, and I'd like to see if I can't lose another 15-20 for X2 with proper diet. Any and all help is super appreciated, per always!

Ya, there's nothing wrong with them. Just don't go eating 5 of them a day.

CrankyJay

Banned
Ingredients wise they're not ideal, I'm told. Soy protein being the big offender, with high sugar probably being another one. They're also guilty of being way delicious, and as everyone knows that's a problem for healthy things!

Admittedly that's probably a terrible answer, and I still buy them because they're sold in stores by me and are about $1 cheaper per bar than the Quest ones.

Interesting, from everything I've read the Clif bars actually have better ingredients than the p90x bars. I know nothing about the quest bars. On an ingredient level I really don't care at this point I guess.

Oh absolutely. I have one in the morning before a heavy lifting day. At 270 calories, if you're not counting calories/macros they could easily blow your numbers.

KingGondo

Banned
Exactly.

My mom is on Weight Watchers (she's now an instructor, in fact) and she scanned one of my Builder's Bars the other day to see how many "points" it has. She almost jumped away from it in fright and said, "Wow... SEVEN POINTS?"

It's worked well for me, but I eat a max of one per day and it's even acted as a meal replacement recently.

Exactly.

My mom is on Weight Watchers (she's now an instructor, in fact) and she scanned one of my Builder's Bars the other day to see how many "points" it has. She almost jumped away from it in fright and said, "Wow... SEVEN POINTS?"

It's worked well for me, but I eat a max of one per day and it's even acted as a meal replacement recently.

Yup precisely. It's my lunch 2-3 times a week when I'm at work.

Go OKC

That was quick! I should make good on that promotion and order some while it's still active.

Oh, serious question for the thread at large- does anyone have some sample Fat Shredder diets/meals they can link me to or post? I'm super terrible at going through the nutrition guide and translating that into "here are my meals for the day". With X2 starting next week I'd really like to give myself at least 30 days of strict dieting adhering to Fat Shredder. Looks like all told I lost right around 15 pounds with P90X (and I probably missed 10-15 workouts due to surgery/random happenings) with not too much attention paid to diet aside from eat less/eat better, and I'd like to see if I can't lose another 15-20 for X2 with proper diet. Any and all help is super appreciated, per always!

If I was to do Fat Shredder now, this is what it will look like

Morning: Shakeoology (meal replacement) with banana

Snack: Edaname beans (legumes)

Lunch: two of the following for 400 calories- tuna, chicken, tofu plus veggies, usually spinach

Snack: crackers or turkey jerkyin p90x. Seaweed for X2

Dinner: more fish and chicken for 400 calories plus veggie with brown rice

Pre-workout: protein bar

Post-workout: one serving of protein shake with milk with whatever the serving size dairy should be or more

I didn't do condiment nor did I do fat. For fat easy substitute is extra virgin olive oil, avocado, or peanut butter

Hi HP!

Love it so far. Really appreciate the emphasis on core and balance and functional fitness. Learning how to support myself on the med and stability ball is an exhilarating thing

I have been following your suggestion on the 3/6/3 format. Getting kind of bored with the first two routine on the strength phase though. I've been thinking about maybe it's time to plug in the two extra DVDs, but I'm not sure how V Sculpt goes since I lack variety in my bands.

Has your opinion changed since you last finished?

Hi HP!

Love it so far. Really appreciate the emphasis on core and balance and functional fitness. Learning how to support myself on the med and stability ball is an exhilarating thing

I have been following your suggestion on the 3/6/3 format. Getting kind of bored with the first two routine on the strength phase though. I've been thinking about maybe it's time to plug in the two extra DVDs, but I'm not sure how V Sculpt goes since I lack variety in my bands.

Has your opinion changed since you last finished?

Right on. Functional fitness is the best way to put it.

I'm still going to do the 3/6/3 format after one more round of X. I can see how doing any routine for 6 weeks could get boring no matter how much you like it. Definitely give V sculpt and that other bonus workout a try. I did both twice in the matter of those 4 weeks. I wouldn't worry about your variety of bands since you don't use them too much in V sculpt and you can always loop up the band a bit to give you more resistance.

And don't forget you can always call an audible and shorten your phase 2 and start with the PAP phase. That phase was just a little wearing on me because of doing 2 of same routines twice in a week. I think I was a little hard on PAP in my initial review.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Did my week 2 fitness test for Insanity Monday and there was a definite improvement in all of the moves. My weight loss has stalled a bit due t bad weekends not being home at all, but my fitness has improved.

Another full week of Insanity then comes the break week.

Right on. Functional fitness is the best way to put it.

I'm still going to do the 3/6/3 format after one more round of X. I can see how doing any routine for 6 weeks could get boring no matter how much you like it. Definitely give V sculpt and that other bonus workout a try. I did both twice in the matter of those 4 weeks. I wouldn't worry about your variety of bands since you don't use them too much in V sculpt and you can always loop up the band a bit to give you more resistance.

And don't forget you can always call an audible and shorten your phase 2 and start with the PAP phase. That phase was just a little wearing on me because of doing 2 of same routines twice in a week. I think I was a little hard on PAP in my initial review.

Yea I was just thinking that for PAP phase it's only those 2 workouts plus yoga. I just might call an audible lol

Would be nice to finish X2 before TDKR since I'm planning to do the marathon and IMAX the next day

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Did my week 2 fitness test for Insanity Monday and there was a definite improvement in all of the moves. My weight loss has stalled a bit due t bad weekends not being home at all, but my fitness has improved.

Another full week of Insanity then comes the break week.

And then it'll be just like starting over!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
And then it'll be just like starting over!

Yeah, I'm kind of fearing the MAX workouts. :p

I need to get my weight loss going again. I was down to 202 and dropping when I finished P90X2, but have been gone the past 4-5 weekends and ate worse than I should have because of that. I'm at 205.5 now, finally down about 1.5 since starting Insanity, but the weekends are killing me.

oatmeal

Banned
Quick update...for...whatever reason...

On day 5 now, Legs and Back.

Yoga was tough, vinasa's very hard because of my sore chest from day 1...I'm used to this. Next week will be better. Some of those ending poses in the first half were impossible for me to do. Maybe next time.

Doing really well, I feel like i'm bringing it pretty good.

This time I took day 4 pics (wife was in hospital with son so I had no one to take day 1-3 pix) so I'll be able to compare with day 30.

Last time I did it, I only did Day 1 and 37...never did 60 or anything like that (I stopped around 65-70 because of a knee issue and a honeymoon...and then fell off the wagon).

My dream is to do it through, take a week off, and then do it again from the start.

LaneDS

Chin up yo! I of course won't take my own advice, but chin up! Excercise out those sighs!

BM- thank you for the sample diet. I won't be doing the Shakeology stuff but might look into Lean1 since the price is apparently much more reasonable as you and others have said for a while. Having one of those long days at work where I just want to go home and exercise out my frustrations (shame, too, because it's kenpo tonight... maybe I'll get weighted gloves on the way back for some intensity).

oatmeal- good luck with this attempt, and hope whatever hospital issues you and your family had went ok.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, hey maybe my exercising will win the Heat the finals ;)

edit: *vouches for Lean1, and Kenpo with wrist or ankle weights or zomg both*

eosos

Banned
Just did Biceps and Back followed by Ab Ripper X.... tits! Best arm workout so far I'd say. My veins wer popping like never before. Ab Ripper X is as hard as ever though haha.

LaneDS

Just did Biceps and Back followed by Ab Ripper X.... tits! Best arm workout so far I'd say. My veins wer popping like never before. Ab Ripper X is as hard as ever though haha.

Near the end of P90X (day 87!) and yes, ab ripper still dominates. My abs are monsters though, so I don't feel too bad about not bringing it as hard as I could sometimes with that workout (shame about the fat hiding what's there still). Agreed on back & biceps being fantastic though!

oatmeal- Hawkian was making a joke about theoatmeal.com reference, or, uh, thought you were a pretty famous web comic creator. Guessing the former!

oatmeal

Banned
Near the end of P90X (day 87!) and yes, ab ripper still dominates. My abs are monsters though, so I don't feel too bad about not bringing it as hard as I could sometimes with that workout (shame about the fat hiding what's there still). Agreed on back & biceps being fantastic though!

oatmeal- Hawkian was making a joke about theoatmeal.com reference, or, uh, thought you were a pretty famous web comic creator. Guessing the former!

Ooooh, that's funny.

Naw, I'm just a loser piece of shit. No one wants to sue me :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Appreciate the faith big guy!

Just poking fun indeed http://blog.seattlepi.com/thebigblo...yer-surprised-by-oatmeal-fundraising-success/

Top Bottom