• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
:) i want to know can i use it as a meal replacement ? let me know more about your results
Meal replacement is all you should use it for :) I have two scoops for breakfast a good number of mornings. I don't recommend replacing any more than one meal per day. It has good macro ratios and is fairly nutritionally complete.

" I did 10-aaaaaaaaaaah!"

aIwQA.jpg

Ixian

Sigh, today is Back and Biceps today and I forgot she was on there. Thanks for reminding me, jerk!

The yogurt i have is Astro Fat Free Zero (100g servings) - 35 calories total and 5g of carbs/3g of protein. What exactly did you mean by they are an easy target if they have more than 15g. You mean that would be a problem or that is good? I dont really consume much carbs at all as the guide told me to stick to high protein and low carb.
If you swap to Greek Yogurt you'd be eating around 65 more calories and 2g more carbs in exchange for an additional 14g of protein.

Sigh, today is Back and Biceps today and I forgot she was on there. Thanks for reminding me, jerk!

If you swap to Greek Yogurt you'd be eating around 65 more calories and 2g more carbs in exchange for an additional 14g of protein.

Greek Yogurt...one of the best foods for workout indeed.

rkn

Back & Biceps is pretty tough, but I dislike pullups due to blistering on my palms, even when wearing gloves
I do her

Ixian

this! I've been stocking up on Fage (non fat kind), although the 2% has little fat as well. if you don't like how the nonfat plain tastes, add a dose of cinnamon and it helps immensely.
I also recommend adding some Stevia. Rewarding myself with a cookies and creme protein shake and a stevia and cinnamon-enhanced Greek yogurt really gets me looking forward to my resistance days.

3phemeral

Just did Kenpo x. Pretty nice burn. I know my sides are going to be hurting tomorrow from all that twisting. Hopefully I stretched it out enough, but Stretch X is tomorrow, so it should help.

this! I've been stocking up on Fage (non fat kind), although the 2% has little fat as well. if you don't like how the nonfat plain tastes, add a dose of cinnamon and it helps immensely.

Unfortunately Im on a limited budget, pretty much only buy any groceries if its on sale. 5 stores near me, so i go to each and buy sale item. I never see greek yogurt (nor heard of Fage) on sale :(

LaneDS

Just did my last core syn this morning, but since I cut it with twelve minutes to go clearly I need to work out again after my train ride home tonight, right?!

Gruco

Banned
Just finished phase 1 of X2. Actually did this when if first came out but let myself get too distracted to finish the next phases, so this is the second time I have gone through it. Impressions:

Ab Ripper X2 vs Ab Ripper X:
Huge preference for X2. X2 has more variety and rightly focuses static holds over infinity sit ups. ARX gave me some minor back pain at points, while X2 never does. I also think ARX2 is just more fun and accessible than ARX, which makes me less likely to skip it. That said, nothing in ARX2 wipes you quite as much as the Fifer Scissors.

Yoga vs Yoga X2
Mild preference for X2, almost entirely on account of the time. Yoga X was wayyy too long, while Yoga X breezes by and I never dread it quite as much. In addition, the Sun Salutation B sequence is awesome. The standing sequences still take work afterwards, but I like that the most intense part is frontloaded like that.

Plyometrics vs Plyocide
This is probably the hardest call. Plyocide is definitely easier than Plyo X. I do like that though, because there is no concern about pacing anything in it. Just go nuts for half an hour. Sacrificing length for intensity seems appropriate for the nature of the workout and makes me look forward to it more. Plus, more variety - Plyo X is like non-stop jump squats.

X Stretch vs Recovery and Mobility
Again, not a contest - Recovery and Mobility by a mile. X stretch just plods too slowly, while the variety in Recovery and Mobility makes it pretty fun. Foam rolling is awesome, leg swings and step back lunges and fun, and the stretching is just the A material.

Kenpo vs extra rest day
Extra rest day wins. Kenpo was really, really boring. And the extra recovery helps. I like adding in some slow runs for doubles on the other days though, which is an easy way to make up for having fewer workouts.

Core Synergistics vs X2 Core, Balance and Power, and Total Body
Core Syn is probably the best workout in the original, so I don't consider any of these three an upgrade so much as additional variety. X2 Core is probably worse, because it's hella easy. Overall, I guess it says something that they needed 3 workouts to compete with that one.

Overall
I love the new schedule and functional approach, but overall what jumps out at me is that a lot of the improvements simply come from the X2 work outs being more fun, through a combination of variety and pacing. I'm just more likely to want to do these ones.

What I like about phase 1 is that in the future, if I ever see myself training for a race or whatever, I can easily implement in as a cross training routine. Yoga 2, Plyo X, and the variety of a la carte core workouts will probably stay with me more or less forever.

For phase 2, I am thinking about structuring with a phase 2 and 2.5, 3 weeks each, with 2.5 using the bonus workouts for variety. I've seen that recommendation on here and it makes a ton of sense. Looking forward to it.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
It bother me the way Shaun T counts reps.
"Okay, we have 8 reps, then up, then 8 standing reps, go! 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, up! 1, 2..."

It's always 6 reps on 8 rep moves. I'm doing level 2 drills and get to my 5th pushup and he's yelling "up!" already. :p

Just finished phase 1 of X2. Actually did this when if first came out but let myself get too distracted to finish the next phases, so this is the second time I have gone through it. Impressions:

Ab Ripper X2 vs Ab Ripper X:
Huge preference for X2. X2 has more variety and rightly focuses static holds over infinity sit ups. ARX gave me some minor back pain at points, while X2 never does. I also think ARX2 is just more fun and accessible than ARX, which makes me less likely to skip it. That said, nothing in ARX2 wipes you quite as much as the Fifer Scissors.

Yoga vs Yoga X2
Mild preference for X2, almost entirely on account of the time. Yoga X was wayyy too long, while Yoga X breezes by and I never dread it quite as much. In addition, the Sun Salutation B sequence is awesome. The standing sequences still take work afterwards, but I like that the most intense part is frontloaded like that.

Plyometrics vs Plyocide
This is probably the hardest call. Plyocide is definitely easier than Plyo X. I do like that though, because there is no concern about pacing anything in it. Just go nuts for half an hour. Sacrificing length for intensity seems appropriate for the nature of the workout and makes me look forward to it more. Plus, more variety - Plyo X is like non-stop jump squats.

X Stretch vs Recovery and Mobility
Again, not a contest - Recovery and Mobility by a mile. X stretch just plods too slowly, while the variety in Recovery and Mobility makes it pretty fun. Foam rolling is awesome, leg swings and step back lunges and fun, and the stretching is just the A material.

Kenpo vs extra rest day
Extra rest day wins. Kenpo was really, really boring. And the extra recovery helps. I like adding in some slow runs for doubles on the other days though, which is an easy way to make up for having fewer workouts.

Core Synergistics vs X2 Core, Balance and Power, and Total Body
Core Syn is probably the best workout in the original, so I don't consider any of these three an upgrade so much as additional variety. X2 Core is probably worse, because it's hella easy. Overall, I guess it says something that they needed 3 workouts to compete with that one.

Overall
I love the new schedule and functional approach, but overall what jumps out at me is that a lot of the improvements simply come from the X2 work outs being more fun, through a combination of variety and pacing. I'm just more likely to want to do these ones.

What I like about phase 1 is that in the future, if I ever see myself training for a race or whatever, I can easily implement in as a cross training routine. Yoga 2, Plyo X, and the variety of a la carte core workouts will probably stay with me more or less forever.

For phase 2, I am thinking about structuring with a phase 2 and 2.5, 3 weeks each, with 2.5 using the bonus workouts for variety. I've seen that recommendation on here and it makes a ton of sense. Looking forward to it.

For someone who has never done P90X would you recommend them jumping right into X2? I'm currently doing Insanity, and wanted to start either P90X or X2 after I was done.

owlbeak

BLAAAAH

Week 3, Day 5 done. Legs and Back. God I hate that workout. My knees, especially my right knee, are both awful due to hockey injuries. It's so difficult for me to get through any of the moves for the entire time. I'm lucky if I get halfway through any of them. It makes me feel shitty but I did my best so I guess I have to forget the rest. Right? ;)

Daaaaaamn! The first thing that came to mind was Tony's raise for functional fitness in contrast to regular weight lifting: "oohhh so you can do isometric biceps curls, aren't you a big deal?"

But still, daaaaamn

Gruco

Banned
Yeah, I never want to look like that, ever.

Regarding X2 vs X1 first, I honestly don't see it as necessary to go through X1 first, especially coming off any other good program like Insanity. Both X1 and X2 have the same base fitness level requirements. I really see X2 as more of a refinement/improvement/different focus than extension of X1.

Imm0rt4l

I might have to try this next time I get some greek yogurt. Shit taste like ass. I feel compelled to add a little honey to it.

you guys hear about the new beach body thing thats coming out??

body-beast-ad.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE_dbHglISs

Yoo, damn. This is going to require a barbell and a bench though?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Ha, the dudes in that video seem super-douchey. It looks like it's marketed toward Jersey Shore residents.

I might have to try this next time I get some greek yogurt. Shit taste like ass. I feel compelled to add a little honey to it.

Yoo, damn. This is going to require a barbell and a bench though?
looks like it

Ha, the dudes in that video seem super-douchey. It looks like it's marketed toward Jersey Shore residents.
was telling me brother he should have had an accent lol

"YO YOU STUPID MOTHA FUCKAS!!! LIFT THAT SHIT!!

Ixian

Trailer is awful. While I'm sure I could stomach the videos if my goal was to look like that, part of the reason I enjoy Insanity and P90X so much is that even though they're hard work, the personalities behind them are great. I've been going back and catching up on some of the chats from Shaun T and Tony Horton on Beach Body's Ustream channel just because they're so charismatic and fun to listen to.

So even after refining my diet plan by adding in a chicken salad lunch.. I still run at about 1600 calories daily (today was such a day: Totals: 1,660 calories 104 carbs 77 fat 98 protein). Im not getting enough and I definitely need 1900 min or at least to break 2000 even every day. After 26 days its apparent that im starving myself and my body isnt reacting like it should be and dropping more fat (And im really really bringing it in exercises too)

My problems I think: Everything I eat is low-cal/low-everything and i consume so few carbs. And I eat tons of fish for dinner which tend to be on the low-end for calories.

So i need some suggestions (other than switch to Greek Yogurt!)

Would adding in some protein vanilla milkshake, that is low low carb, cheap, and adds a few hundred calories be a good idea? Any suggestions?

Basically only carbs i have been consuming: One english muffin in morning, and what I get from p90x recovery drink. Would adding in a SINGLE regular muffin daily be a bad move (eg: too much carbs!) or would that be sufficient too. I think this evening I felt myself bonking, and I need some more carbs.

Or is there some uber good healthy snack option I am missing that I can add in where-ever to get me over 2000. As it is, I find myself eating shit tons, and barely getting over 1600.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
RoadieTMA, substitute the muffin and add a superfood like lentils, or black beans, or garbanzos. Your carb portion should be something like that, not a muffin. I'd also try to add maybe a spoon or two of peanut butter and an extra protein shake.

ya i figure i can do without the muffins lol... i looked at nutritional guide and oh boy.

I think I can do another shake. Vanilla breakfast shake mix with 1% milk in morning (adds protein, vitamins, iron, and its low in carb). Should add like 300 calories at least. (I just ran to store and got it)

Steel - I will look into those. Lentils I enjoy. Thx :)

Nekura - I dunno. I really really think it is my calorie intake because ive been so damn vigilant on doing my workouts and giving it 100% and seen not a single pound drop (and cardio workouts im getting into 75% heartrate zone). Meanwhile the one constant that has remained the same is my caloric intake being 1600 or less. Ill switch it up and see how 2000 treats me. Hawk suggested I increase my cardio workouts, so I'll be adding in an extra 3 workouts a week (oh fun).

OchreHand

So even after refining my diet plan by adding in a chicken salad lunch.. I still run at about 1600 calories daily (today was such a day: Totals: 1,660 calories 104 carbs 77 fat 98 protein). Im not getting enough and I definitely need 1900 min or at least to break 2000 even every day. After 26 days its apparent that im starving myself and my body isnt reacting like it should be and dropping more fat (And im really really bringing it in exercises too)

My problems I think: Everything I eat is low-cal/low-everything and i consume so few carbs. And I eat tons of fish for dinner which tend to be on the low-end for calories.

So i need some suggestions (other than switch to Greek Yogurt!)

Would adding in some protein vanilla milkshake, that is low low carb, cheap, and adds a few hundred calories be a good idea? Any suggestions?

Basically only carbs i have been consuming: One english muffin in morning, and what I get from p90x recovery drink. Would adding in a SINGLE regular muffin daily be a bad move (eg: too much carbs!) or would that be sufficient too. I think this evening I felt myself bonking, and I need some more carbs.

Or is there some uber good healthy snack option I am missing that I can add in where-ever to get me over 2000. As it is, I find myself eating shit tons, and barely getting over 1600.

What kind of fish are you eating?

I enjoy Salmon because it's high in protein, calories can be up there too. I get these cans for dinner sometimes, one can has 39 grams of protein / 315 calories.

I also add tofu (which is protein rich) and like the other suggestion, black beans are good too.

LiveStrong has really great articles on diet, like this one on high protein, low fat foods.

Pretty much fresh cut filets/steaks and nothing out of cans. Salmon, Halibut (mostly), Trout.

I do enjoy a can of tuna tho from time to time. Which I shall do more of :)

Thx for article.

owlbeak

Well guys, finished Week 3, very proud of myself. Recovery week coming up and then onto Phase 2!

I'm down 6lbs from when I started, so I'm around 10lbs from my goal weight of 160. Waist is down around 2". I am thinking of throwing in an extra Kenpo session during recovery week just to get some more fat burning going on.

Well guys, finished Week 3, very proud of myself. Recovery week coming up and then onto Phase 2!

I'm down 6lbs from when I started, so I'm around 10lbs from my goal weight of 160. Waist is down around 2". I am thinking of throwing in an extra Kenpo session during recovery week just to get some more fat burning going on.

Great work man!

owlbeak

Thanks to you guys in this thread, it really helps keep me going since none of my friends want to work out. I forget who said it when I started but they said "never leave this thread" and it's true haha.

oatmeal

Banned
Onto week 2.

Diet has been good, on my off day yesterday I went for a 2.5 mile run in 100 degree heat (Vegas).

Just had a banana and PB anda protein bar, gonna do Chest and Back again.

I AM GOING TO BRING IT.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Kenpo is funny. People think it's easy/boring, but it may be the workout in P90X that burns the most calories.*

*based on a P90X calories burned estimator

Top Bottom