• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

3phemeral

Kenpo was pretty good for me. So long as I kept focused, had constant control over my limbs and pretended like I was punching through concrete, I got a good workout. A lot of those speed jabs at full-motion range are cardio killers.

oatmeal

Banned
Chest/Back + Ab Ripper (w2) was pretty awesome.

I definitely didn't pace myself the first round and was a little burned out for diamond pushups at the end. Had to go to my knees for those.

Ab Ripper was tough, had to use my hands to help stabilize a lot more than I should have.

Kenpo is funny. People think it's easy/boring, but it may be the workout in P90X that burns the most calories.*

*based on a P90X calories burned estimator

No chance. You heart rate is (should) be much higher during Plyo, even some muscle group exercises force a faster heart rate than Kenpo does.

I always enjoyed Kenpo though. It was kind of a relief after all the pain.

OG Kush

I've got a question for guys doing p90x and Insanity hybrid. Is it possible that doing Insanity with p90x can actually reduce muscle gains? Because many times you're working the same muscle groups the next day. You do Chest+back, then next day an insanity video which will most definietly have some pushups and tricep action. Even after An arms day, you're going to be doing a lot of pushup/tricep related exercises in Insanity.
I'm just wondering if this will inhibit muscle results? Or is it ok as its just bodyweight stuff and not a whole workout dedicted to armsor legs?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
No chance. You heart rate is (should) be much higher during Plyo, even some muscle group exercises force a faster heart rate than Kenpo does.

I always enjoyed Kenpo though. It was kind of a relief after all the pain.

Just did Kenpo for the first time today. I enjoyed it and brought good intensity. I also have worn my HRM for all of my P90X workouts and here's what I got:

Day 1, Chest & back + ARX: 704
Day 2, Plyometrics: 812
Day 3, Shoulders & Arms + ARX: 837
Day 4, Yoga X: 799
Day 5, Legs & Back + ARX: 882
Day 6, Kenpo: 698

For comparison last Saturday was my final Max Cardio Conditioning + Insane Abs for Insanity, and I burned 1070 calories.

One difference between Kenpo and the others is that it is shorter than everything else except Plyometrics, which is more intense. In Plyo this week I spent 52% of the workout in my VO2 Max HR zone, 22% Anaerobic and 20% Aerobic. Contrast that to Kenpo which was 10% VO2 Max, 52% Anaerobic, 11% Aerobic.

Ixian

I've got a question for guys doing p90x and Insanity hybrid. Is it possible that doing Insanity with p90x can actually reduce muscle gains? Because many times you're working the same muscle groups the next day. You do Chest+back, then next day an insanity video which will most definietly have some pushups and tricep action. Even after An arms day, you're going to be doing a lot of pushup/tricep related exercises in Insanity.
I'm just wondering if this will inhibit muscle results? Or is it ok as its just bodyweight stuff and not a whole workout dedicted to armsor legs?
I am not an expert or anything but I don't really feel like Insanity spends enough time on those things to adversely affect your gains.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Kenpo is okay, I just really hate some of the moves. I bring as much intensity as I can (more than anyone on the video), and yet I just feel like they're pointless; Step/Drag High/Low Punch, Step/Drag Claw/Low Punch, and High Block Low Punch all feel like the same thing and it just annoys me for some reason.

Insanity and the Asylum are purely calorie burners/ fitness regimes. Don't expect muscle results like from P90X.

The only way you're gonna lose muscle is if you don't eat enough. If your body is starving its gonna attack your muscles for nutrition. you're gonna have to eat for two doing 2 intense exercises a day.

Just did Kenpo for the first time today. I enjoyed it and brought good intensity. I also have worn my HRM for all of my P90X workouts and here's what I got:

Day 1, Chest & back + ARX: 704
Day 2, Plyometrics: 812
Day 3, Shoulders & Arms + ARX: 837
Day 4, Yoga X: 799
Day 5, Legs & Back + ARX: 882
Day 6, Kenpo: 698

For comparison last Saturday was my final Max Cardio Conditioning + Insane Abs for Insanity, and I burned 1070 calories.

One difference between Kenpo and the others is that it is shorter than everything else except Plyometrics, which is more intense. In Plyo this week I spent 52% of the workout in my VO2 Max HR zone, 22% Anaerobic and 20% Aerobic. Contrast that to Kenpo which was 10% VO2 Max, 52% Anaerobic, 11% Aerobic.

Nice results man. I didn't expect Yoga to burn as many calories as you did. I want a HRM now

FeD.nL

So I lurked around the thread for quite a while and with my relationship over I decided to give this a try, I do got a couple of questions do.

I'm very lean, maybe even to thin for my length but I just got a lot of trouble gaining weight. So is there a solution for that? Or can I just start with the program and I will gain mass anyway?

Thanks in advance.

So I lurked around the thread for quite a while and with my relationship over I decided to give this a try, I do got a couple of questions do.

I'm very lean, maybe even to thin for my length but I just got a lot of trouble gaining weight. So is there a solution for that? Or can I just start with the program and I will gain mass anyway?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry to hear about that. If she sees you in 3 months she'll regret it.

Whey Protein, Creatine and eating, eating lots. You need a good eating plan with about 3000 calories a day.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Thanks in advance.
Interestingly, I'm going to be doing a version of this tailored for gaining some mass starting tomorrow (though I'm hoping to lower my body fat percentage a bit more as well) which you can find here: http://getrippedathome.com/workouts-exercises/gaining-mass-with-p90x/ I'll be using a creatine supplement, my new Powerblocks free weights and really going at it this time around. Let me know if you're interested or have any questions.

edit: I sort of got into P90X for roughly the same reason you are. Please believe me that it is worth the commitment and among the best courses of action you can take in these circumstances. Stick around this thread if you can. :)

LaneDS

P90X complete! Not at my PC so this post is brief, but I wanted to share prior to doing a proper results post (which I'll do when I'm home later this week). Thanks everyone in here for all the help and encouragement!

X2 starts tomorrow, and I am excited.

so im finishing up p90x in like 2 days.. should i go straight to p90x2? or do another round of p90x?

Depends, what are your goals?

P90X complete! Not at my PC so this post is brief, but I wanted to share prior to doing a proper results post (which I'll do when I'm home later this week). Thanks everyone in here for all the help and encouragement!

Congrats Lane, you'll enjoy X2.

Starting Week 2 of my P90X Lean. Good god, I've learned to hate certain days....such as Core Synergistics Day. ugh. Shoulders/Arms/Back/Leg Days are great. Kempo X is fun as hell. Core Synergistics can go kiss my ass and I've only done it once. Not looking forward to tonight. lol

oatmeal

Banned
Day 9 complete...Plyo (w2).

Fucking killed it. Probably the best Plyo I've done (including when I did 75 or so days 3 years ago).

Didn't modify anything.

My friend just linked me to Body Beast. Despite me telling him to do P90X/2 for ages he think this will be a better "fitness" program. Hes fat to put it bluntly. I can see this Jersey Shore training being their most popular. I'll have to try it, I want to be able to say i've done all the hard BeachBody workouts.

My friend just linked me to Body Beast. Despite me telling him to do P90X/2 for ages he think this will be a better "fitness" program. Hes fat to put it bluntly. I can see this Jersey Shore training being their most popular. I'll have to try it, I want to be able to say i've done all the hard BeachBody workouts.

Only if it comes with a copy of Call of DudeBros: Black Ops 2.

Ill Saint

Congratulations!
Take at least a week off to recover, I would not go straight into X2 one day after X.

Starting round 6 today.

FeD.nL

Sorry to hear about that. If she sees you in 3 months she'll regret it.

Whey Protein, Creatine and eating, eating lots. You need a good eating plan with about 3000 calories a day.

Interestingly, I'm going to be doing a version of this tailored for gaining some mass starting tomorrow (though I'm hoping to lower my body fat percentage a bit more as well) which you can find here: http://getrippedathome.com/workouts-exercises/gaining-mass-with-p90x/ I'll be using a creatine supplement, my new Powerblocks free weights and really going at it this time around. Let me know if you're interested or have any questions.

edit: I sort of got into P90X for roughly the same reason you are. Please believe me that it is worth the commitment and among the best courses of action you can take in these circumstances. Stick around this thread if you can. :)

Thanks for the replies! I'm really eager to start just waiting for everything to be delivered. Are there any helpful online tools to setup a good eating plan? And is there a specific brand of creatine that is the 'best'?

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Do any of you guys use a heart rate monitor? If so, any particular kind that you recommend?

I have a low-power Bluetooth (aka Bluetooth 4.0). HRM chest band by Wahoo Fitness. I use it with Digifit's iOS app on my iPhone 4s or my iPad 3 (both of which have Bluetooth 4.0).

It works very well, has a plenty long range (10+ feet unobstructed) and the batteries last 4-6 weeks of daily usage. I only changed the batteries twice during all of Insanity.

I think Polar now makes a Bluetooth 4.0 HRM as well. If you don't have an iPad 3 or iPhone 4s, I'm not sure what Android devices have Bluetooth 4.0. Otherwise you can always use an ANT+ chest strap, such as those made by Polar & other manufacturers. Digifit will work with those as well.

I recommend a continuous monitor. This will usually involve a chest strap although there are some wrist-mounted ones. Personally I don't like wearing anything on my wrist when I'm working out, but YMMV. A continuous monitor coupled with the right receiver or software will monitor your HR over the course of the exercise and more accurately compute calories burned. The Digifit app will even give you graphs that you can view online or on your mobile device.

Contrast that to an "on demand" HRM, usually worn as a watch, where you have to touch sensors on the device to capture your HR. You have to remember to do this throughout your workout. With a continuous HRM, you just put it on, pair it with your monitor/app, and start working out. You don't need to worry about re-measuring your heart rate throughout the workout.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah, I can't wait to start pumping them. The quality really blew me away (even though they were expensive, I was expecting something, I dunno, a little more rudimentary or tougher to use).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Infinite or not, doesn't listen to that Daremo :p I mean, no, another week of phase 1 won't hurt, but Recovery weeks are crazy important, don't skip them!

Hooo boy, Chest/Shoulders/Tris is a crazy workout to start a cycle on. One-arm pushups on day one!

I love the Powerblocks. I can already feel true soreness and a burn I didn't get regularly with the bands. I was disappointed in myself that I was maxing at 8-10 on 15lbs for almost every exercise but they I realized that some of the peeps in the video were only using 15s as well and felt much better.

The MP Assault stuff... the tingling/burning after 20 mins is not a joke. I felt like I HAD to work out just to direct that energy somehow. That seriously must be how Bruce Banner feels when someone steps on his toe...

Brought it, workout left me totally weak and I think I'll be newly sore tomorrow, but I'm ready to up the intensity every day now.

BTW, I'm going to be logging the readings from my Motoactv for calorie burn (these are NOT going to be accurate and mostly are just for my personal interest and to compare workouts to one another)

Motoactv Tracker said:
Chest, Shoulders, Triceps - 502 calories

LaneDS

I am back home (was visiting family all weekend) and am full of ex-gf rage to start off P90X2 with. Powerblocks have arrived (not used tonight I think, in X2 Core) and I am going to be good about my diet for 30 days with hard work for each of those thirty days... I aim to be a monster by the end of X2.

Thanks everyone on the congrats earlier- I know being a part of this thread absolutely helped me get through P90X with whatever degree of success I had and I hope some of my posting does the same for others.

Detox

I'm in the same boat thanks for the link. What weight should the powerblocks go up to? Also the Cardio, stretch and yoga days what use are those for people who want to gain mass rather than burn? I know eating more should alleviate the problem but I'm not sure how I will suddenly start doing that.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am back home (was visiting family all weekend) and am full of ex-gf rage to start off P90X2 with. Powerblocks have arrived (not used tonight I think, in X2 Core) and I am going to be good about my diet for 30 days with hard work for each of those thirty days... I aim to be a monster by the end of X2.

Thanks everyone on the congrats earlier- I know being a part of this thread absolutely helped me get through P90X with whatever degree of success I had and I hope some of my posting does the same for others.
Dude, didn't know you went through with the order! Niiiice. They're awesome.
I'm in the same boat thanks for the link. What weight should the powerblocks go up to? Also the Cardio, stretch and yoga days what use are those for people who want to gain mass rather than burn? I know eating more should alleviate the problem but I'm not sure how I will suddenly start doing that.
Well, mine go up to 50 and are expandable to 70 with an extra purchase :)O). But I was only using 20s at most so that's gonna be plenty for me, lol

Stretching and Yoga are extremely important for any fitness routine. They minimize the wear, tear, and strain you put on your muscles during the intense resistance training, improve your flexibility, endurance, and core strength, all of which help you push harder during workouts.

As far as pure cardio, I don't have a really solid answer. I think it's good to keep your metabolism pumping and stay active on most days even though doing resistance training every day isn't wise, and it's just one way to accomplish that.

Gumbie

Week 6 Chest/Shoulders/Tris last night. Brought it hard as hell and I'm feeling it this morning. One weird thing I noticed is yesterday I forgot to take any multivitamins and surprisingly during the workout I felt super strong and like I had a ton of energy. Has anyone ever heard of vitamins negatively affecting some people?

Edit: So I googled around and apparently multivitamins make lots of people tired. hmm.

Week 6 Chest/Shoulders/Tris last night. Brought it hard as hell and I'm feeling it this morning. One weird thing I noticed is yesterday I forgot to take any multivitamins and surprisingly during the workout I felt super strong and like I had a ton of energy. Has anyone ever heard of vitamins negatively affecting some people?

Edit: So I googled around and apparently multivitamins make lots of people tired. hmm.

I also feel a bit tired taking multivitamins also...strangely. I'm going to stop taking them since I think I get enough nutrients from my lunches and dinner while upping my protein.

I personally believe fruits are far better compared to taking a pill, but GAF has a ton of knowledge. Anyone?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Multivitamins are really only useful in a situation where you're specifically deficient on some nutrients regularly (as a result of a prescription medication, specialized diet, etc.) It really has no demonstrable impact on health positively or negatively when consumed regularly by a generally healthy adult.

LaneDS

Dude, didn't know you went through with the order! Niiiice. They're awesome.

Yessir, they arrived while I was away and I got them setup (with the stand which took all of two seconds to take out of the box) last night. Excited to use them, but I feel like they probably won't see much use until phase 2 of X2 starts. Plyocide is tonight, and core was last night (and awesome). Going to feel weird taking two days a week off, and honestly I'll probably do something on Wednesdays (my day 3) to make up for it... any suggestions?

Also, started my diet this morning, which I am going to try and turn into a dedicated fat shredder diet... did three scoops of Lean1 + water, but I think 25g of carbs is a lot to start the day with. Will likely go lean meat + veggies for lunch, a protein bar (Quest) in the afternoon, a workout, another shake, and then some similar lean meat and veggies dinner to finish out the day... not sure where that'll leave me. Will get MyFitnessPal up and running soon too.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wish you could buy those quest bars locally. Not sure I want to order them every 2 weeks or so, also they are a bit pricey.

Tried the Atkins protein breakfast shakes this week, they are more or less like Muscle Milk. Not bad, but not many calories (160) to start the day.

I'm on my last week of Insanity before the "break" week. Finally started dropping a few pounds again since I was home this weekend and didn't eat terrible food. :p

Multivitamins are really only useful in a situation where you're specifically deficient on some nutrients regularly (as a result of a prescription medication, specialized diet, etc.) It really has no demonstrable impact on health positively or negatively when consumed regularly by a generally healthy adult.

So what you're saying is...I'm taking a placebo while doing P90X...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yessir, they arrived while I was away and I got them setup (with the stand which took all of two seconds to take out of the box) last night. Excited to use them, but I feel like they probably won't see much use until phase 2 of X2 starts. Plyocide is tonight, and core was last night (and awesome). Going to feel weird taking two days a week off, and honestly I'll probably do something on Wednesdays (my day 3) to make up for it... any suggestions?
Cardio X with weights? :p

Also, started my diet this morning, which I am going to try and turn into a dedicated fat shredder diet... did three scoops of Lean1 + water, but I think 25g of carbs is a lot to start the day with. Will likely go lean meat + veggies for lunch, a protein bar (Quest) in the afternoon, a workout, another shake, and then some similar lean meat and veggies dinner to finish out the day... not sure where that'll leave me. Will get MyFitnessPal up and running soon too.
Why 3 scoops of Lean1? :p 2 scoops is usually fine to get me to lunch without complaint, and it saves you 8-9 carbs and 100 calories ;) I bet you're gonna be burning like crazy with that diet though. Sounds lik ebasically the bar and the drinks are your only carbs... I'm so bad at pulling that off.

So what you're saying is...I'm taking a placebo while doing P90X...
Oh at least 1 ;)

I still take fish oil as I don't get much seafood in the week. I may put off the multivitamin overall since I eat a lot of fruit each day as well as veggies. Only thing I'm lacking in is protein, but the diet is going well so far.

Wish you could buy those quest bars locally. Not sure I want to order them every 2 weeks or so, also they are a bit pricey.

Tried the Atkins protein breakfast shakes this week, they are more or less like Muscle Milk. Not bad, but not many calories (160) to start the day.

I'm on my last week of Insanity before the "break" week. Finally started dropping a few pounds again since I was home this weekend and didn't eat terrible food. :p

Right on, good work! Prepare yourself for month 2 of Insanity. I'll never forget it. Thought my body was getting pretty used to the routines and BOOM, week 1 of month 2 came. I was so sore walking around work. I remember one of my coworkers asking me to get a box of paper from another suite for her and in my head I just thought, "fuuuuuuuuuuuu".

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What are the best vitamins to take that actually work? Just things like fish oil? I've heard Vitamin D is good for energy if you aren't in the sun a lot.

Right on, good work! Prepare yourself for month 2 of Insanity. I'll never forget it. Thought my body was getting pretty used to the routines and BOOM, week 1 of month 2 came. I was so sore walking around work. I remember one of my coworkers asking me to get a box of paper from another suite for her and in my head I just thought, "fuuuuuuuuuuuu".

I'm getting used to the routines now, so that's good to hear. The only issue I have so far with the program is that the repetition gets a bit boring and there are some odd choices in the videos (Shaun T will skip stretching the left side in one video, also on things like basketball drills he only does one side which is my non-shooting side). Overall I like them though.

I'm getting used to the routines now, so that's good to hear. The only issue I have so far with the program is that the repetition gets a bit boring and there are some odd choices in the videos (Shaun T will skip stretching the left side in one video, also on things like basketball drills he only does one side which is my non-shooting side). Overall I like them though.

That's my one complaint about Shaun T. He gets so involved in the workouts that I feel like he gets distracted and forgets things or says stuff that just doesn't make any sense. Made me appreciate Tony going around and checking on forms. But I still really enjoy Shaun. He has good energy and is a great motivator.

LaneDS

I thought they were pricey, but then I think back to how much I used to spend (in very recent times even) on fast food and stuff that just wasn't healthy for me, even if it's a $1-$2 Diet Coke (still buy a fair amount of diet soda, but I'm slowly cutting back on it). So at around $2 a bar, it's not great, but at least it's $2 well spent and I'm aiming to only do one a day.

Also, DC, could you please add me to the P90X grad list when you have a moment?

Hawkian- cardio x + recovery and mobility (which I forgot about... used to seeing rest day and just skipping X Stretch by now, which is bad) might be a good fit for tomorrow, good call!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What are the best vitamins to take that actually work? Just things like fish oil? I've heard Vitamin D is good for energy if you aren't in the sun a lot
Well, depends what your goal in taking a particular vitamin is. When you say "actually work," remember that vitamins are just nutrients that occur naturally in foods that you (hopefully) consume every day. The "vitamin" isn't the capsule you take with a glass of water, it's the content. Unfortunately vitamins in pill form, even highly soluble ones, just don't seem to be as effective at delivering the nutrients as they logically seem like they should.

Still, for specific purposes taking some supplements in pill form can be beneficial. Fish Oil is good for concentrated Omege fatty acids if you can't get them through your meals. Vitamin C and D are good immune system support if you think you might be getting sick. Vitamins B6 and 12 can give you a jolt of energy and make you feel more alert. And again, if you have a specific deficiency (some medications make it harder to absorb Vitamin K from food, for example), then a doctor would be totally reasonable in advising you to take a vitamin pill supplement.

The only pill I take every day is a green tea extract; not a vitamin (though its compounds contain vitamins) but a whole bunch of legit, medically confirmed benefits including encouraging fat loss.

Just to be clear, just like you can get the vitamins in a pill from eating food, you could just as easily drink a bunch of green tea every day to get the benefits of the extract- there's nothing particularly special about it being in a pill form. I just take it cause it's convenient.

Also, DC, could you please add me to the P90X grad list when you have a moment?
Ooh! Ooh ooh me too!

Top Bottom