• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

I will do Insanity before the year is over, shit knees and all (they feel less badly as of late, but we'll see what Plyocide has to say about that tonight).

Took my day 90 shots yesterday, but since I went home and ate like an asshole this weekend I wasn't really pleased. Going to take day 97 (or close to it) this weekend considering I missed at least a week of P90X due to surgery, so I feel like that's not entirely cheating the photos. Really, really amped for those day 180 photos though, because I think I can really do some damage with X2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hit me, GAF: Assault before cardio workouts, yes or no?

I'm leaning toward yes because muscle growth occurs even on days they aren't being used, and also this weird schedule has been doing ab ribber x today...

I will do Insanity before the year is over, shit knees and all (they feel less badly as of late, but we'll see what Plyocide has to say about that tonight).

Took my day 90 shots yesterday, but since I went home and ate like an asshole this weekend I wasn't really pleased. Going to take day 97 (or close to it) this weekend considering I missed at least a week of P90X due to surgery, so I feel like that's not entirely cheating the photos. Really, really amped for those day 180 photos though, because I think I can really do some damage with X2.

Try taking shots again in different lighting. If you aren't tanned the lighting has to be just right to show off any contours on pale skin. Some pics I look great, some I can't see any definition at all. Sunlight messes everything up. Take em at night with a fixed light and it should create shadowing for a good picture.

LaneDS

Try taking shots again in different lighting. If you aren't tanned the lighting has to be just right to show off any contours on pale skin. Some pics I look great, some I can't see any definition at all. Sunlight messes everything up. Take em at night with a fixed light and it should create shadowing for a good picture.

Cool, I will try that this weekend for sure. Will continue to take the same terrible lighting kitchen shots just for the sake of comparing to day 1/30/60/90 photos, but I'd like to have "show off" photos eventually too so your idea seems like a good one. And I am ultra pale, so it makes even more sense.

Hit me, GAF: Assault before cardio workouts, yes or no?

I'm leaning toward yes because muscle growth occurs even on days they aren't being used, and also this weird schedule has been doing ab ribber x today...

Voting yes. Have you tried the stuff yet? It'll give you a boost regardless, in my opinion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Voting yes. Have you tried the stuff yet? It'll give you a boost regardless, in my opinion.
Yup, REALLY works, here's my "review" after chest/shoulders/tris yesterday:
The MP Assault stuff... the tingling/burning after 20 mins is not a joke. I felt like I HAD to work out just to direct that energy somehow. That seriously must be how Bruce Banner feels when someone steps on his toe...
Also, the blue raspberry flavor has some serious color change mojo going to it. Looks white as snow and then turns your water jolly rancher blue. Also tastes like liquid jolly ranchers. So there's that.

edit: Thanks DC!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Don't be the reason that Tony Horton said Insanity is dangerous on TV. :p

I wonder why he said that. Being that I am half-way through it the only danger I see is if I were to not know my limits and push a bit too hard and pass out in my apartment. I live alone, so that could be bad news.

Insanity is tough, but once you learn the moves you can perfect how to do them in a way that feels right for you. You just have to know your limits, even Shaun T says to take breaks when needed. If your form starts to give, take a break.

LaneDS

Don't be the reason that Tony Horton said Insanity is dangerous on TV. :p

Hah, I'll be sure to be careful when I get around to trying it. If I have to do lower intensity stuff for things that might be problematic with my knees, I will. It's at least 90 days off before I might try it in any case.

Tonight I'm doing Plyocide, but I don't have a "plyometric box" or a sturdy chair to jump onto... what should I get and how much will I miss out on if I don't have something sturdy to jump onto? Is doing Plyometrics from X1 an acceptable substitution if not having something to jump on is a big issue?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ooops ate too much lunch. *pedals*

I think I'm really going to enjoy upping my calorie limit soon
3AQmK.gif

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hah, I'll be sure to be careful when I get around to trying it. If I have to do lower intensity stuff for things that might be problematic with my knees, I will. It's at least 90 days off before I might try it in any case.

Tonight I'm doing Plyocide, but I don't have a "plyometric box" or a sturdy chair to jump onto... what should I get and how much will I miss out on if I don't have something sturdy to jump onto? Is doing Plyometrics from X1 an acceptable substitution if not having something to jump on is a big issue?

IIRC it's for one move, and I just did it without the box. Basically a step-up move and jump off the other side, then jump straight up and repeat. Won't get much out of it without the box, but you'll still get the jump squat movement.

It's only needed for that one move and you don't actually jump onto it, you drop down from it. Do you have a folding chair? That was sturdy enough for me when I did Plyocide in my garage a few times.

LaneDS

My roommate and I have been using these wooden chairs I have, but they're clearly death traps designed to fall apart at the least opportune moment. Might play russian roullete with them tonight and try stepping onto them/off of them, but I'll look into buying myself a sturdy folding chair for the future.

My roommate and I have been using these wooden chairs I have, but they're clearly death traps designed to fall apart at the least opportune moment. Might play russian roullete with them tonight and try stepping onto them/off of them, but I'll look into buying myself a sturdy folding chair for the future.

20 dollars from Target for a sturdy folding chair. Please don't risk it

oatmeal

Banned
Killed shoulders/arms yesterday. So much better than week 1.

Ab Ripper was aight...Fifer Scissors is impossible for me.

Today is fackin' Yoga again. Grr...

LaneDS

You're both right; I'll pick up something on the way back from work.

Definitely having one of those antsy days I just want to get home and get active.

You're both right; I'll pick up something on the way back from work.

Definitely having one of those antsy days I just want to get home and get active.

I've had those days at work. Got to play it smart tho. Imagine how much you'll be kicking yourself if you got an injury right before the next step in your fitness with your new diet game plan and X2.

Ixian

I wonder why he said that. Being that I am half-way through it the only danger I see is if I were to not know my limits and push a bit too hard and pass out in my apartment. I live alone, so that could be bad news.

Insanity is tough, but once you learn the moves you can perfect how to do them in a way that feels right for you. You just have to know your limits, even Shaun T says to take breaks when needed. If your form starts to give, take a break.
I don't remember what he said exactly, but it was basically along the lines of it's really easy to fuck up your knees if you're not in shape/know what you're doing and the atmosphere of the Insanity videos might cause you to push yourself harder than you actually should, which I agree with. Granted, you can ruin your day pretty easily if you approach any exercise incorrectly, but the knees are a particular sensitive area.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I don't remember what he said exactly, but it was basically along the lines of it's really easy to fuck up your knees if you're not in shape/know what you're doing and the atmosphere of the Insanity videos might cause you to push yourself harder than you actually should, which I agree with. Granted, you can ruin your day pretty easily if you approach any exercise incorrectly, but the knees are a particular sensitive area.

Indeed. I guess I'm just more used to the Insanity type workouts from sports in high school (football especially). To people that haven't done a lot of "sports" type conditioning and training it could be easy to get hurt. Just need to know your limits and make sure to do the moves properly.

I have terrible knees too. :p

EDIT: When I go through P90X again I'm subbing X2 Yoga in. No way I'm doing X1 yoga again. :p

Ixian

Could one of you weirdos who cycles under your desk at work link me to the cycle you can use so I can join your weirdo club? Thought I had the link saved but I can't find it, nor is it in my Amazon browsing history.

Could one of you weirdos who cycles under your desk at work link me to the cycle you can use so I can join your weirdo club? Thought I had the link saved but I can't find it, nor is it in my Amazon browsing history.

Welcome to the club weirdo. I'm the VP. Hawkian is the president.

Ixian

I thought that was the same one but I'm one of those people who gets a bit uneasy about buying something as soon as they see any negative reviews, hah.

My company's going to be moving to another building next year which is gonna mean losing my private office; have to take advantage of being able to privately pedal while I can!

LaneDS

Weirdos, I purchased a $10 folding chair from Target (and a Clif Builder's Bar since I had none and my Quest bars aren't here yet). I am now ready to bring it tonight.

Ugh, had the flu or some bug for the last two days and havent done any p90x.

Would it be best to just resume where I left off or ignore those days and continue on and miss them?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State

Would it be best to just resume where I left off or ignore those days and continue on and miss them?

When I have to miss days I just do what I can the rest of the week, then repeat that week the next week.

Speaking of weird choices: supporting the Heat.

Not even P90X-GAF is free of that nauseating South Beach Swagger now.

<3

No such thing as a moral victory but I still think the Thunder are the superior team, and I'm speaking as a long-time Heat fan (see how I meticulously avoided the term "Life-Long" lol)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
No such thing as a moral victory but I still think the Thunder are the superior team, and I'm speaking as a long-time Heat fan (see how I meticulously avoided the Life-Long term lol)
Defense time! I think the Thunder are more athletic on average, and have more offensive options all-around, but the Heat, when they're on, are the better team. They have incredible synergy when they get into a rhythm and OKC is still feeling itself out in that department- they were way at the bottom of the league in assists this season.

MajorPain

I just started P90x with the wife last week we are starting week 2 tonight.

Yoga kicked my butt I never knew how much strength Yoga takes. Would hate to have my peeps see me doing it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Yoga kicked my butt I never knew how much strength Yoga takes. Would hate to have my peeps see me doing it.
Yeah, Yoga was the unexpected killer of my first round. Challenged me more than any other workout due to my expectations.

LaneDS

Remember, you should be in this for the long haul, so if you miss workouts when you're not able you shouldn't beat yourself up over it. Workout when you can, do your best, and forget the rest.

T-minus 45 minutes until I escape work for first ever plyocide. I am excited. Also need to remember to bring in the Pharm Assault crazy person drink (Hawkian I laughed at your accurate description of what taking it is like) so I can drink it prior to leaving work instead of doing it when I get home.

I like your name. Goes well with this thread. :)

Yoga was one of those workouts that I saw improvement in very fast. I hate it but I love it.

KingGondo

Banned
No such thing as a moral victory but I still think the Thunder are the superior team, and I'm speaking as a long-time Heat fan (see how I meticulously avoided the Life-Long term lol)
Ha.

I agree that OKC is probably the better overall team, but you have to play like it on the court. I do think they'll win tonight, but there's (obviously) no margin for error.

It would be disappointing to see this series end in 5 after the run they've been on. :-/

LaneDS

Like many, yoga surprised me with how difficult and how effective it is. I suspect by the end of the year I will still be struggling with many of the moves due to the flexibility and strength required, but that's part of why I find it to be such a fun challenge.

owlbeak

Week 4/Day 2 completed. Weighed in after the workout and clocked in at 167.6. I'm officially down 10lbs and a little more than halfway to my goal of 160! :D I'm sure I'll get a little bit back when I rehydrate but it feels good to see the scale crack that 170 mark. I kinda stalled there for a week or so and was afraid I'd plateaued or something.

Also, I missed it but congrats, Lane! Good luck on the next set!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's magic! We'll probably be dead in ninety days, but we'll look good.
I realllllly like the boost I got during Ab Ribber X. For the first time ever doing this workout I felt like I was shocked when it ended and I would have gladly kept going. Did all 50 mason twists without pause for the first time as well.

...Lane is it just me or does this feel a little bit like cheating? I can't believe how noticeable the effects are. Feel like I could pretty easily get addicted to this stuff O.O

Top Bottom