• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

LaneDS

Week 4/Day 2 completed. Weighed in after the workout and clocked in at 167.6. I'm officially down 10lbs and a little more than halfway to my goal of 160! :D I'm sure I'll get a little bit back when I rehydrate but it feels good to see the scale crack that 170 mark. I kinda stalled there for a week or so and was afraid I'd plateaued or something.

Also, I missed it but congrats, Lane! Good luck on the next set!

Thanks man! Good luck to you as you continue onwards as well; that's a great amount of weight to lose already! I didn't lose much more than that in the full 90 days even!

Hawkian, I don't really feel like the Pharm Assault stuff is cheating- it came pretty highly recommended by enough seemingly trustworthy sources so I don't feel badly about using it. I mean after all, you have to put the work in or it's not going to do much of anything for you, right?

Speaking of hard work, I just completed plyocide for the first time and holy shit that might have been the most exhausted I've been in 92 days days of doing this. I high fived my roommate after "fast feet chair jump" and made a joke about being done for the day (for those that haven't done plyocide, this is the second exercise after the warm-up section). Some of those moves absolutely crushed me and I feel like gave me an idea of how badly Insanity is going to destroy me.

Hated it/loved it.

Edit: We are flying through pages now; good job us.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
Alright you animals, I ordered some Assault. I've been using the Beachbody Energy & Endurance and maybe it's time for a change.

P90X Plyometrics #2 today. I'm still uncoordinated on the rockstar jumps and pitch/catch. My HRM wasn't working so I'm not sure how my calorie burn compared to sat week but I was completely drenched. It's a good workout. Insanity month two workouts are harder though; fewer breaks.

LaneDS

So you loved Plyocide? Yeah, it's my favorite X / X2 workout next to Core Synergistics.

Yes, I mean I hated it during because of how tired I was, but anytime I end up absolutely drenched and completely tired (sans pain, a big plus!) then it's hard not to love the workout.

So far, between core, plyo, and yoga I'm really digging x2. Didn't love the cool down stretches for plyo but I might just need to get used to doing them correctly.

Steve- nice, I'm curious to hear your Assault impressions when you get to try it.

Alright you animals, I ordered some Assault. I've been using the Beachbody Energy & Endurance and maybe it's time for a change.

P90X Plyometrics #2 today. I'm still uncoordinated on the rockstar jumps and pitch/catch. My HRM wasn't working so I'm not sure how my calorie burn compared to sat week but I was completely drenched. It's a good workout. Insanity month two workouts are harder though; fewer breaks.

I've taken pitch/catch out of my Plyo workout. It just doesn't do much for me. I replace it with "The Pitch" from Insanity Asylum Gameday. You do a pitch like you regularly would then plant the lead leg and do a mountain climber (like this) and then switch to do a pitch with the other hand and repeat over and over. Definitely a more intense move.

Are you guys experiencing any side effects from the Pharm Assault stuff? I've read a few reported accounts of upset stomachs, headaches, and dizziness that have put me off from trying it.

LaneDS

Are you guys experiencing any side effects from the Pharm Assault stuff? I've read a few reported accounts of upset stomachs, headaches, and dizziness that have put me off from trying it.

Never had headaches or dizziness, but I do think it'll make me gassy sometimes (although all the protein shakes and skim milk do a pretty good job of that on their own).

OchreHand

I started taking it last week (half a scoop) and it gives me indigestion.
Another (much better) side effect is an over whelming of euphoria. Odd!

I need some advice on the pull up equipment:

My house is built with door frames that are more than 7 inches in length. All the door frame-based pull up bars that I've seen and used can't even reach halfway through that, much less actually reach the other side of the door.

I'd like to avoid wall mounted and ceiling mounted pull up equipment due to a lack of a convenient location, but I can't find anything else that I can use in my house.

D23

I DID IT!!
im a P90X Grad!!!!

celebrating it by eating 2 slice of chocolate cake lmao!!!
will take a week off and then start p90x2

I need some advice on the pull up equipment:

My house is built with door frames that are more than 7 inches in length. All the door frame-based pull up bars that I've seen and used can't even reach halfway through that, much less actually reach the other side of the door.

I'd like to avoid wall mounted and ceiling mounted pull up equipment due to a lack of a convenient location, but I can't find anything else that I can use in my house.

My pull up bar came with these brackets that you can screw into the wall to give you a ledge like the door frame would. I'm not sure how much I'd trust them. You would definitely need to screw it into the stud. Most of the pressure on the frame is on the other anyways. Maybe you could give it a try.

3MYmW.jpg

Ixian

PharmAssault stuff has me intrigued but the LeanGains guide suggests not taking creatine while dieting since it can cause water retention which can mess with your perception of your results. Hm.

Whenever I do Ab Ripper X2 I always have to redo the Bicycle Crunches and mute the volume because I start laughing way too hard when Tony's yelling at Bobby about the gap. Hate the gap!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have yoga tomorrow — not looking forward to it considering this week is awful, and it's going to be like 100 degrees out or some bullshit. I've gone from disliking it, to enjoying it, to hating it. It's just become boring and not really a challenge to me any more aside from a couple of positions. My goal has been to finish my first run of P90X "by the book", but when I start my second run of it in a few weeks I think I'm going to replace it with more cardio (aside from recovery weeks).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Full scoop plus 16 oz of water for maximum crazy.
Yup. It's nuts. So much water... make sure you actually wait the 20-30 mins, kids.

I was kidding about the "cheating," all I mean was that it's totally radical to me how noticeable the boost is. I feel ready to finish the workout and then wrestle a fucking ostrich to the ground afterward on that stuff. It's certainly a legit trade-off that I can't really trust the scale anymore while using it.
I DID IT!!
im a P90X Grad!!!!

celebrating it by eating 2 slice of chocolate cake lmao!!!
will take a week off and then start p90x2
Congrats, welcome to the elite 32!

CrankyJay

Banned
Hrmmm...my boss has lost about 22 pounds on p90x (he's like 35-40 days in) but has hit a plateau and he's blaming it on his anti-psychotic meds (he has schizophrenia). Is this is a possibility? I took a look at his diet and the only real food he eats is at dinner time. The rest is protein bars and shakeology and that lean shake stuff from GNC. Hardly any veggies or any other real food. He's hitting his macros and calories just fine tho. He also weighs himself every day and I said he should scale that back to maybe once or twice a week at the same time. He's totally expecting to drop a certain amount each day.

I told him he should try to incorporate more real food.

Hrmmm...my boss has lost about 22 pounds on p90x (he's like 35-40 days in) but has hit a plateau and he's blaming it on his anti-psychotic meds (he has schizophrenia). Is this is a possibility? I took a look at his diet and the only real food he eats is at dinner time. The rest is protein bars and shakeology and that lean shake stuff from GNC. Hardly any veggies or any other real food. He's hitting his macros and calories just fine tho. He also weighs himself every day and I said he should scale that back to maybe once or twice a week at the same time. He's totally expecting to drop a certain amount each day.

I told him he should try to incorporate more real food.

Visual results are the most useful. He could be putting on muscle weight. My first P90X run my first month i shed a lot then my weight stayed roughly the same which was a bit discouraging. The visual results at the end made it all the better though.

CrankyJay

Banned
Visual results are the most useful. He could be putting on muscle weight. My first P90X run my first month i shed a lot then my weight stayed roughly the same which was a bit discouraging. The visual results at the end made it all the better though.

Yeah, there's that to consider as well. I told him to stay with what he's doing and keep working thru it. The weight will continue to come off eventually.

rkn

Damn... yoyo'd up to 170 today, I've been a pretty consistent 165 for the past few months, neither gaining or losing, which was a bitch in itself. I'm a bit bummed out by this development.

I'm in the middle (literally) of another round of P90X, doing a modified version:

Mon: P90X workout (Chest & Back or Chest, Shoulders, Triceps) + 30 min cardio
Tue: 45 min cardio, X2 Ab Ripper
Wed: P90X workout (Shoulders & Arms or Back & Biceps) + 30 min cardio
Thur: 45 min cardio, X2 Ab Ripper
Fri-Sun: Rest

Diet is pretty consistent, been tracking with MyFitnessPal over the past month, I'm usually "over" the limit though. It says I should be eating 1200 calories a day, which is basically impossible for me since I'd be starving, so I've usually hit in the 1600-2000 range, except a few (3) times where I've gone in to the 2400 range (parties yeah).

So this is pretty shit, I've not really progressed in my main goal of fat loss for a while now (probably since my second round of X, and I'm on like my 4th or so), but as always my numbers have increased and other parts have developed a little more.

I've basically got one goal, eliminate the few remaining inches around my waist, not particularly concerned with the #s, but shit man, I feel like I should be in the 150-160 range in order to achieve that. Visually, I'm fairly sure there is "progress", just not in the area that matters.

I'm willing to try just about anything now, shakeology, fuck whatever man, any tips?

CrankyJay

Banned
Damn... yoyo'd up to 170 today, I've been a pretty consistent 165 for the past few months, neither gaining or losing, which was a bitch in itself. I'm a bit bummed out by this development.

I'm in the middle (literally) of another round of P90X, doing a modified version:

Diet is pretty consistent, been tracking with MyFitnessPal over the past month, I'm usually "over" the limit though. It says I should be eating 1200 calories a day, which is basically impossible for me since I'd be starving, so I've usually hit in the 1600-2000 range, except a few (3) times where I've gone in to the 2400 range (parties yeah).

So this is pretty shit, I've not really progressed in my main goal of fat loss for a while now (probably since my second round of X, and I'm on like my 4th or so), but as always my numbers have increased and other parts have developed a little more.

I've basically got one goal, eliminate the few remaining inches around my waist, not particularly concerned with the #s, but shit man, I feel like I should be in the 150-160 range in order to achieve that. Visually, I'm fairly sure there is "progress", just not in the area that matters.

I'm willing to try just about anything now, shakeology, fuck whatever man, any tips?

WTF? 1200? Are you a male/female? What is your goal weight?

I've been noticing that as I drink my protein shake (water and protein mix only), I drink that between breakfast and lunch and feel rather full. How about a greek yogurt to satisfy those in-between urges?

I hit about 1500 calories but I feel satisfied since all I'm doing is simply cutting down. Are you also viewing only the scale? It lies often, and can change in the matter of just over a day. View your other aesthetics, perhaps your shoulders are larger, or you have bulging veins...!

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
How is Insanity Asylum? Do you need equipment? Can I still do it in a living room?

It comes with an agility ladder & speed rope. You also need a chinup bar or resistance bands, and you can optionally use strength bands (connects your ankles or wrists). I think there's a move or two where you can use a dumbbell. And you probably want a plyo mat if you don't already have one. (I'm doing Asylum after I finish P90X in September).

rkn

WTF? 1200? Are you a male/female? What is your goal weight?
Dude. I don't have a goal weight more than a visual goal. And yeah, 1200 isn't right, which is why I would say I avg 1800 usually. The app is just a baseline cookie cutter input your height, weight, activity, OK! Eat 1200 calories! And you'll lose 2lbs a week thing. So I use it mostly to make sure I'm not going over-overboard and staying (generally) under 2000.

I hit about 1500 calories but I feel satisfied since all I'm doing is simply cutting down. Are you also viewing only the scale? It lies often, and can change in the matter of just over a day. View your other aesthetics, perhaps your shoulders are larger, or you have bulging veins...!

I don't weigh myself often, because it never moved from 165 over the past few months, I just stepped on it this morning which is when I normally weigh myself just for shits and yeah, 170, so I've put on 5 lbs over the past month or so. Which also happens to coincide with my best efforts of "bringing it". I'm actually writing shit down and working to do a couple more reps than the previous week and I incorporated this "doubles" mentality of doing a bit of cardio after each resistance day. Visually yeah I mean it's all decent - there are some signs I've noticed here and there, veins or shoulders, arms, etc.

I'm generally not hungry most of the time, aka I only eat when I am hungry. I'm just looking for anything at this point. I mean I'll cook up chicken breast and veggies everyday and eat that at this point just to see some goddamn movement here.

CrankyJay

Banned
Dude. I don't have a goal weight more than a visual goal. And yeah, 1200 isn't right, which is why I would say I avg 1800 usually. The app is just a baseline cookie cutter input your height, weight, activity, OK! Eat 1200 calories! And you'll lose 2lbs a week thing. So I use it mostly to make sure I'm not going over-overboard and staying (generally) under 2000.

It's saying 1200 because you probably put in your activity level as "sedentary" and didn't set a weight loss goal, which is fine, since you're saying you don't have a goal weight.

I usually go for what I want to weigh x 100...I know that doesn't match what BMR calcs say but it has been working. For now my current goal is to hit 190 so I eat about 1900-2000 calories minus whatever excercise I do. Seems to be working.

On MFP you can just reset your calorie goal anyway with disregard to your "activity level".

rkn

It's saying 1200 because you probably put in your activity level as "sedentary" and didn't set a weight loss goal, which is fine, since you're saying you don't have a goal weight.

I usually go for what I want to weigh x 100...I know that doesn't match what BMR calcs say but it has been working. For now my current goal is to hit 190 so I eat about 1900-2000 calories minus whatever excercise I do. Seems to be working.

On MFP you can just reset your calorie goal anyway with disregard to your "activity level".

Yeah, I'm sure I set it at sedentary since I'm in the seated position for ~10 hrs a day.

I wanted to believe that I could sort of do this effortlessly (relatively speaking). Where I wouldn't have to weigh out food portions, time meals properly, take many supplements, or any of that. So I've been keeping it relatively loose in that regard, it doesn't mean I'm not watching my intake and not working hard though. But I fear now that the proof is in the pudding (around my waist) and I will have to take those steps to reach my goals.

With that said. Maintaining my current workout schedule (which works pretty well for me), what can I do diet wise. I'm willing to change it up drastically. Generally I'll do the following:

6AM (breakfast) - Burrito (2 eggs, 2 bacon, cheese, low carb tortilla) or 1 packet oatmeal or Chicken breast and brown rice. Green tea, water.

11AM (lunch) - Banana, Atkins bar or two

4PM (dinner) - Varies a ton, hardest meal to control for me. Cheese burgers, Zankou, steak, Subway. I know this is where I need the most work.

After this I usually work out 5-6PM then do my cardio 8PM. Then off to bed. I have to wake up at 4:30AM for work. The weekend is more of the same except the working out part.

CrankyJay

Banned
Yeah, I'm sure I set it at sedentary since I'm in the seated position for ~10 hrs a day.

I wanted to believe that I could sort of do this effortlessly (relatively speaking). Where I wouldn't have to weigh out food portions, time meals properly, take many supplements, or any of that. So I've been keeping it relatively loose in that regard, it doesn't mean I'm not watching my intake and not working hard though. But I fear now that the proof is in the pudding (around my waist) and I will have to take those steps to reach my goals.

With that said. Maintaining my current workout schedule (which works pretty well for me), what can I do diet wise. I'm willing to change it up drastically. Generally I'll do the following:

6AM (breakfast) - Burrito (2 eggs, 2 bacon, cheese, low carb tortilla) or 1 packet oatmeal or Chicken breast and brown rice. Green tea, water.

11AM (lunch) - Banana, Atkins bar or two

4PM (dinner) - Varies a ton, hardest meal to control for me. Cheese burgers, Zankou, steak, Subway. I know this is where I need the most work.

After this I usually work out 5-6PM then do my cardio 8PM. Then off to bed. I have to wake up at 4:30AM for work. The weekend is more of the same except the working out part.

Yeah, best to ease yourself into these things. When I started I was still eating Chipotle once a week...got the corn relish and cheese...but as I saw my progress get better I started modifying slowly. Started eliminating cheese, needless starches, etc. I feel if you go all out at once you'll set yourself up for failure, but some people are all or nothing.

I will weigh out foods for the most part, but once you get a grasp for how much something is you can eventually stop doing that.

owlbeak

Is there a problem with 1200 cal diets? I mean, that's what I'm hitting a day to meet my goal of 160 and it hasn't been a problem for me feeling hungry or whatever.

I'm 5'7".

rkn

Yeah, best to ease yourself into these things. When I started I was still eating Chipotle once a week...got the corn relish and cheese...but as I saw my progress get better I started modifying slowly. Started eliminating cheese, needless starches, etc. I feel if you go all out at once you'll set yourself up for failure, but some people are all or nothing.

I will weigh out foods for the most part, but once you get a grasp for how much something is you can eventually stop doing that.

Yeah I should mention portions, the biggest breakfast I eat is the breakfast burrito, if I have that I'll generally keep it light the rest of the day. So these are pretty balanced portion-wise (probably not "macro" wise). I've really already cut out many of the gotchas, which is why I'm feeling really stuck. The absolute only thing I haven't tried "fully" is keto.

Is there a problem with 1200 cal diets? I mean, that's what I'm hitting a day to meet my goal of 160 and it hasn't been a problem for me feeling hungry or whatever.

I'm 5'7".

I'm 5'10", but I imagine there are a ton of differences in body composition, I've seen guys shorter than me, but much "wider" not fat, just wider. Or dudes my height, but super frail. I'd say I'm "normal" but probably in between a meso-endo body type, I'd like to believe that if I get down enough I'll see that I'm truly a meso. I generally do not feel hungry often. It only happens when something disrupts my routine, ie a meeting where I couldn't eat for a couple of hours.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I don't see the medicine balls as a must, but you absolutely, absolutely need a foam roller and a stability ball, specially for phase 1 (the core phase).

LaneDS

Only two days in, but I definitely like having the 8 lb medicine ball (I have two). The rumble roller is interesting and I think when I use it more I'll like it lots.

Question- how long of a workout is the recovery & mobility workout, and how much of a workout is it compared to something like X Stretch? Not sure how much I like the idea of going easy on day three, and I'd like to get a good workout in tonight after work.

Started P90X at the beginning of the year but fizzled out after about 5-6 weeks. Working out 6 days a week is really brutal with my schedule at times.

If I rocked a modified 4 days a week P90x schedule, basically rotating between the 3 strength building workouts + plyo, would that be enough to burn off a few lbs or is that not enough cardio?

Slightly off topic but anyone have any experience or recommendations with the Bob Harper workout DVDs? I've been doing those 4X a week (Inside Out Method, Total Body Transformation) with some positive results so far.

Only two days in, but I definitely like having the 8 lb medicine ball (I have two). The rumble roller is interesting and I think when I use it more I'll like it lots.

Question- how long of a workout is the recovery & mobility workout, and how much of a workout is it compared to something like X Stretch? Not sure how much I like the idea of going easy on day three, and I'd like to get a good workout in tonight after work.

R&M is 55 mins long. Some people skip it and just foam roll themselves, while I have re-discoveted its value recently.

The two rest days will seem real short as you progress through the program.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Started P90X at the beginning of the year but fizzled out after about 5-6 weeks. Working out 6 days a week is really brutal with my schedule at times.

If I rocked a modified 4 days a week P90x schedule, basically rotating between the 3 strength building workouts + plyo, would that be enough to burn off a few lbs or is that not enough cardio?

Slightly off topic but anyone have any experience or recommendations with the Bob Harper workout DVDs? I've been doing those 4X a week (Inside Out Method, Total Body Transformation) with some positive results so far.

I don't know man, but would it be really hard to try to accommodate Yoga and Kenpo or other cardio activity in your schedule? Tony says that you should workout at least 5-6 per week, and I believe the man.

OK dammit, I need to get back on the wagon. A week of terrible things flying from many places on my persons combined with work travel got me all out of sorts. I'm resetting, starting fresh on Monday morning. Maybe Saturday morning, but we'll see, since my Ma is in town.

I have noticed a distinct difference when on schedule and off schedule. On schedule feels tons better. I look forward to coming back and eating more yogurt/chili. Fuck fat, back to protein.

I'm not the only one to say that Yoga X is extremely boring eh? Would rather substitute Insanity - Pure Cardio in this instead of doing yoga for 1.5 hours...

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Substituting cardio for yoga is like substituting your morning glass of milk with a glass of wine.

Completely different routines and focuses. Yoga gives you flexibility like no other workout + it increases your range of motion and it's also a pain reliever.

You didn't get tired :0

For some reason the resistance training wipes me out. I might have been overtraining....

Not any more tired than I felt when I was doing X. I've worked out consistently for 6 days a week for awhile tho. Taking two days off doesn't appeal to me.

I'm not the only one to say that Yoga X is extremely boring eh? Would rather substitute Insanity - Pure Cardio in this instead of doing yoga for 1.5 hours...

Give Yoga X2 a try if you can get your hands on it. Shorter and I think it flows better.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
will do!!

X2 question.. is the foam roller and medicine balls really necessary?

I did it with only the stability ball (which is a must). Foam roller and medicine ball would be nice. I generally used a free weight for some of the medicine ball stuff.

Top Bottom