• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Not a bad idea. Yoga really is great. And if you are doing Plyocide that's enough cardio in itself. I might have to consider this...

My challenge right now is really figuring on how to rejuvenate myself (actually on recovery week before going into the 2nd 3-week strength phase of X2). School is coming back soon and I can't think of any other exercise that I can do with enough energy at the end of long day and being late at night.

And I thought exactly the same thing regarding plyo and cardio. Would be a different story if I am training. But I'm not. Just trying to stay fit and healthy...

I know Lean1 has been recommended as a budget alternative to Shakeology, but no local place carries either. The guy at my local fitness place recommend this stuff called Pro7ien Synthesis. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? It seems to have high reviews.

My challenge right now is really figuring on how to rejuvenate myself (actually on recovery week before going into the 2nd 3-week strength phase of X2). School is coming back soon and I can't think of any other exercise that I can do with enough energy at the end of long day and being late at night.

And I thought exactly the same thing regarding plyo and cardio. Would be a different story if I am training. But I'm not. Just trying to stay fit and healthy...

Working out in the morning instead of at night a possibility?

LaneDS

The difference between this thread and the fitness thread in terms of people being supportive and helpful seems like night and day... lots of clashing opinions and in-fighting in that thread. Not trying to cause a shitstorm or anything, just saying in a sideways manner that this thread is rad.

The difference between this thread and the fitness thread in terms of people being supportive and helpful seems like night and day... lots of clashing opinions and in-fighting in that thread. Not trying to cause a shitstorm or anything, just saying in a sideways manner that this thread is rad.

They're raging from PEDS. :)

Working out in the morning instead of at night a possibility?

I would love to, but on resistance days I don't go as fast as the video and with Ab ripper that's at least an hour and a half for me, not to mention I prefer to workout with food in my stomach. So if I leave for work at 8, this means I need to get up at least by 530am and I won't get home until 930pm on school days

Or am I approaching this wrong? :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know Lean1 has been recommended as a budget alternative to Shakeology, but no local place carries either. The guy at my local fitness place recommend this stuff called Pro7ien Synthesis. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? It seems to have high reviews.
Went ahead and researched it for you...

The thing is, while it seems to be a very solid and well-reviewed protein supplement and thus great for muscle gains, it is not a meal replacement. It doesn't offer the kind of vegetable-based all around nutrition of something like Lean1 or Shakeology. They're just attempting to accomplish different things. I do not recommend replacing a meal with a simple protein shake alone. If you wanted to say, have that in addition to a smaller breakfast, it'd be a great way to get some extra protein.

Are you opposed to ordering off Amazon?

That thread, despite having TONS of knowledgeable people and great resources, is intimidating as fuck. I dipped in and out of there for months trying to motivate myself to start getting in shape. Once I poked my head in here the first time, I never left. :)

Went ahead and researched it for you...

The thing is, while it seems to be a very solid and well-reviewed protein supplement and thus great for muscle gains, it is not a meal replacement. It doesn't offer the kind of vegetable-based all around nutrition of something like Lean1 or Shakeology. They're just attempting to accomplish different things. I do not recommend replacing a meal with a simple protein shake alone. If you wanted to say, have that in addition to a smaller breakfast, it'd be a great way to get some extra protein.

Are you opposed to ordering off Amazon?
Thank you! I keep forgetting that my roomate has an Amazon Prime account I can use, so I should take advantage of that. Thanks for your help, I'm a total noob when it comes to this stuff.

That thread, despite having TONS of knowledgeable people and great resources, is intimidating as fuck. I dipped in and out of there for months trying to motivate myself to start getting in shape. Once I poked my head in here the first time, I never left. :)
Yeah, this thread seems to be a lot more beginner friendly and supportive. I guess it helps that we're all on the same page as far as P90X goes, so there's always that common ground. The other thread does have such a nice OP though.

Day 36 and still going at it!

I would love to, but on resistance days I don't go as fast as the video and with Ab ripper that's at least an hour and a half for me, not to mention I prefer to workout with food in my stomach. So if I leave for work at 8, this means I need to get up at least by 530am and I won't get home until 930pm on school days

Or am I approaching this wrong? :(

That's a really long day. I don't think I have a great answer for you. I'm assuming you aren't going to school 5 days a week so maybe play around with the schedule a bit so your shorter workouts are on school days. I personally hate working out in the mornings. My workout is a part of my day. It's as important as sleeping, eating and going to work. Once I leave work I know that I still have a workout ahead of me. Once that is done then my day is complete and I can do whatever. Maybe it's mental thing for you but I'm sure you are definitely exhausted after that long day. Do what you can once school starts back up.

LaneDS

Aye, didn't mean to knock the other thread but I did mean to praise this one. Probably helps that we have similar goals (lose weight, gain strength, look and feel better) and similar programs (P90 anything and Insanity, mostly), whereas the fitness thread has a lot more types of people with many different goals/programs/beliefs.

In other news, I ate a box of Junior Mints post lunch today and need to clearly work those 220 calories and extra sugar carbs into non-existence later. Craziness is present in both threads.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I like how P90X/2 structures the ab video better than Insanity. In Insanity they act like it's a whole separate workout, and like you're not doing it right after Pure Cardio. They go through a whole warm up that about kills you after doing 40 minutes of Pure Cardio. In P90X/2 they start right in to the ab moves.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
In other news, I ate a box of Junior Mints post lunch today and need to clearly work those 220 calories and extra sugar carbs into non-existence later. Craziness is present in both threads.
*increases pedaling speed* Vicarious burn!

I like how P90X/2 structures the ab video better than Insanity. In Insanity they act like it's a whole separate workout, and like you're not doing it right after Pure Cardio. They go through a whole warm up that about kills you after doing 40 minutes of Pure Cardio. In P90X/2 they start right in to the ab moves.
Yeah, I love this and it's the main reason I have so much trouble attempting to do ARX first like many have suggested. I have to say though, I do recommend occasionally mixing it up with the shorter/more intense Youtube ab routine Alfarif linked in here. That thing really burns and while nothing in it causes me as much individual pain as Fifer Scissors, on the whole it really works great.

Gumbie

I'm not the only one to say that Yoga X is extremely boring eh? Would rather substitute Insanity - Pure Cardio in this instead of doing yoga for 1.5 hours...

P90X One on One Fountain of Youth Yoga is what I use. 45 minutes and it hits all the big moves. Tony is a lot more personable and laid back too.

LaneDS

*increases pedaling speed* Vicarious burn!

Yeah, I love this and it's the main reason I have so much trouble attempting to do ARX first like many have suggested. I have to say though, I do recommend occasionally mixing it up with the shorter/more intense Youtube ab routine Alfarif linked in here. That thing really burns and while nothing in it causes me as much individual pain as Fifer Scissors, on the whole it really works great.

Poor Alfarif, he probably has negative body hair by this point :(

That's a really long day. I don't think I have a great answer for you. I'm assuming you aren't going to school 5 days a week so maybe play around with the schedule a bit so your shorter workouts are on school days. I personally hate working out in the mornings. My workout is a part of my day. It's as important as sleeping, eating and going to work. Once I leave work I know that I still have a workout ahead of me. Once that is done then my day is complete and I can do whatever. Maybe it's mental thing for you but I'm sure you are definitely exhausted after that long day. Do what you can once school starts back up.

Yea it's been tough mentally even without school. I come home, I want to nap. I nap for too long, then I got to eat and wait for the food to digest for the workout. Then by the time everytime is over is 11pm.

School is 2 or 3 days a week. Before with only two days I'd schedule one day as recovery and another legs/back (X) or yoga (X2). If I do 3 school nights then one of them has to be a resistance day

P90X One on One Fountain of Youth Yoga is what I use. 45 minutes and it hits all the big moves. Tony is a lot more personable and laid back too.

Thanks for you advice also, I'll stick with Hawkian and Harry Potter's advice on doing X2 Yoga instead.

I have X2, just not ready to start it yet.

Ixian

Give Yoga X2 a try if you can get your hands on it. Shorter and I think it flows better.
Yoga X2 is so perfectly paced. Once you get through the single-double-triple vinyasas it basically feels like it's over even though you still have 40 minutes left. That's a strength of P90X in general though (with the exception of the original Yoga X apparently!); yesterday I was doing Chest Shoulders and Tris and when I thought to look at the time remaining I only had 14 minutes left. Hell, I can't even believe I've been doing P90X for almost 45 days now! For the people doing P90X2, does time seem to go by quickly there as well?

P.A.P has been known in some circles as “complex training” but the two names are all the same thing: basically, heavy strength training (resistance) and plyometric (jumping) movement decided to get together and have a baby. In short, the P.A.P theory is that MORE muscle cells are recruited to work after being activated after a strength exercise, which then improve explosive power and performance in actions like sprints, lateral movement and jumping.. IE- athletics. Obviously, compounded over time, the idea is you’re going to train better… which translates into better performance and better yet… injury resistance.

LaneDS

Yikes, sounds serious! Looking forward to it.

Going to try Insanity Pure Cardio tonight in addition to recovery & mobility (in that order). Wish me luck!

D23

Yikes, sounds serious! Looking forward to it.

Going to try Insanity Pure Cardio tonight in addition to recovery & mobility (in that order). Wish me luck!

1st time it'll probably kick ur ass but then ull get used to it n started to love it!! it goes by soo fast and theres no break

D23

i think im gonna do another round of p90x instead of x2 since i dont feel like buying the extra equipment for it, but instead im thinking of buying the bowflex selectech dumbells.. either that or the powerblock! anyone here know which one is better?

LaneDS

i think im gonna do another round of p90x instead of x2 since i dont feel like buying the extra equipment for it, but instead im thinking of buying the bowflex selectech dumbells.. either that or the powerblock! anyone here know which one is better?

I am biased since I just bought the Powerblocks, but those seemed to generally get better reviews. If any part of the weight-switching mechanic for the Bowflex breaks, you pretty much need to replace the unit as I understand it, whereas with the Powerblocks it's pretty modular so if the plastic piece breaks, you pay $10 for a replacement part.

I'm a little scared of Insanity anything... most I've done is watch the damn fit test and even that looked horrrrrrible. Trying the day after plyocide is likely not the smartest, but I ate those Junior Mints and I am still angry at my ex, so I mean, I gotta, right? Right!

LaneDS

You sound very motivated Lane! Just stay healthy - with your mind, body, and spirit

Spirit is going to take some work, but I can at least work on mind and body. Also, thank you!

Just did my first Insanity workout, Pure Cardio, and hoooooly fuck, that was difficult. I was pretty damn sweaty/tired by the end of the warm-up! My form was garbage too, but I guess that is to be expected. By the time there were less than fifteen minutes to go I probably did about a third of the reps; I was super drained. Suicide jumps or whatever at the end? Forget it!

As with all the P90 workouts though, I love how difficult it was. Lots of icing of the knees tonight, and I still want to try recovery and mobility later on (too tired to go right into it though... even typing this, my right arm is all crumpled up and tired!).

Nelo Ice

Banned
So I kinda fell of after getting a job and now I want to start up again but this time I'm going to follow a diet, follow what I eat with fitness pal or etc. With that said what are some good easy meal plans you guys follow? At the same time as getting back into it I will also be attempting to learn how to cook at the same time, probably going to try learning this week so I can get started asap next week since I want to go in fully prepared this go around. This time I def want to lose my stomach fat.

TrounceX

I can't say anything about Powerblock, but I've used the 52.5lb Bowflex Selectech dumbells for over 4 years with almost daily use and they still work perfectly. The only regret I have is not getting the 90lb ones when I had the chance. 52.5lb is not enough for the big chest/shoulder exercises all these years later

And all you really need for x2 is a stability ball. Foam rolling is the devil so you don't need that thing. There's a couple times where medicine balls would be nice but the moves are easily modified. I get by with using basketballs instead.

I don't think there's anything else? I guess I just think that P90X2 is a lot better workout than P90X is. I'm in the process of getting some crazy good results with X2 that I never got before, and am having a lot more fun with it as well.

I can't say anything about Powerblock, but I've used the 52.5lb Bowflex Selectech dumbells for over 4 years with almost daily use and they still work perfectly. The only regret I have is not getting the 90lb ones when I had the chance. 52.5lb is not enough for the big chest/shoulder exercises all these years later

And all you really need for x2 is a stability ball. Foam rolling is the devil so you don't need that thing. There's a couple times where medicine balls would be nice but the moves are easily modified. I get by with using basketballs instead.

I don't think there's anything else? I guess I just think that P90X2 is a lot better workout than P90X is. I'm in the process of getting some crazy good results with X2 that I never got before, and am having a lot more fun with it as well.

Whaaaaaaat? Explain yourself!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Me jelly, bro.

I need to buy that stuff.

...yeah.

Broke all four of my pull-up/chin-up personal records tonight. Seriously, am I silently consenting to a deal with a devil by using this stuff?

Full disclosure, I have a TON of water in me right now and I feel like it, too. Sipping my recovery drink right now and I look and feel bloated as all hell. Don't particularly like the sensation, so that's definitely a downside.

LaneDS

...yeah.

Broke all four of my pull-up/chin-up personal records tonight. Seriously, am I silently consenting to a deal with a devil by using this stuff?

Full disclosure, I have a TON of water in me right now and I feel like it, too. Sipping my recovery drink right now and I look and feel bloated as all hell. Don't particularly like the sensation, so that's definitely a downside.

Awesome! I will do some pull-ups now to see if I can do north of ten unassisted (took my Assault around six, for Insanity).

Then I will stop procrastinating and do the damn recovery & mobility.

Edit: Did 8, pulled left hamstring, busted out two more for 10 total. Didn't fully extend my arms down for the first few, but still, felt good.

Oh my gosh I hate foam rolling. I've never felt such extreme pain in my entire life.

I've heard it gets better but I'm not about to find out.

It definitely gets better the more you do it. I never had extreme pain with it though. A little uncomfortable my first few times but it was that feel good pain. You should try it again, try not putting all of your weight on it at first. I think it's a game changer.

Edit: Did 8, pulled left hamstring, busted out two more for 10 total. Didn't fully extend my arms down for the first few, but still, felt good.

How the hell did you pull your hamstring doing pull ups? You're really bringing it today.

So for those of you doing my fitness pal, I have a question. I have a goal of trying to get some sort of 6 pack definition by the end of July. According to a weight scale, I"m at about 13.3% body fat. I set my goal to lose 5 lbs by the end of July. Ok that said...

Myfitness pal put my caloric intake goal at 1800 calories. Today I ate 2193 but through some work outs burned out 587 calories leaving me at a net of 1606 (194 calories reaming to 1800)

Does this mean I should eat more to get to the 1800 or should I stay firm for the rest of the evening?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Motoactv tracker update (remember these will all be way lowballed):
Motoactv Tracker said:
Chest, Shoulders, Triceps - 502 calories
Legs and Back - 476 calories
Ab Ribber X - 104 calories
Man I love this thing.

Edit: Did 8, pulled left hamstring, busted out two more for 10 total.
Wait WHAT? How do you manage that?

So for those of you doing my fitness pal, I have a question. I have a goal of trying to get some sort of 6 pack definition by the end of July. According to a weight scale, I"m at about 13.3% body fat. I set my goal to lose 5 lbs by the end of July. Ok that said...

Myfitness pal put my caloric intake goal at 1800 calories. Today I ate 2193 but through some work outs burned out 587 calories leaving me at a net of 1606 (194 calories reaming to 1800)

Does this mean I should eat more to get to the 1800 or should I stay firm for the rest of the evening?
Aha! The #1 most-asked question on the entirety of MFP! Give me a second to type up some info for you. The short answer is it doesn't really matter. Eat a little snack if you're hungry, if you're feeling good then chill for the night.

LaneDS

How the hell did you pull your hamstring doing pull ups? You're really bringing it today.

Hah, had my legs extended and straight out in front for the first eight, then tried to bend and tuck them behind me for the last two when I fully extended my arms... overdid it. It's fine now, thankfully was a temporary thing. If I ever hit play on recovery and mobility (paused in the other room) maybe I can work out that muscle even. Woo.

Hah, had my legs extended and straight out in front for the first eight, then tried to bend and tuck them behind me for the last two when I fully extended my arms... overdid it. It's fine now, thankfully was a temporary thing. If I ever hit play on recovery and mobility (paused in the other room) maybe I can work out that muscle even. Woo.

Glad it's not major, now get out of here, go hit play. ;)

TrounceX

It definitely gets better the more you do it. I never had extreme pain with it though. A little uncomfortable my first few times but it was that feel good pain. You should try it again, try not putting all of your weight on it at first. I think it's a game changer.

Actually I've just been informed by my brother in law that I was using his rumble roller.

Either way though I'm not too excited about it. I just don't see how there could be any real benefit. I mean I already feel fine, I don't get sore anymore, and I've never injured myself lifting either.

What other benefit could there be?

100% agree. The other thread is like something you'd find on bodybuilding.com. Not noob friendly, no patience for "dumb" questions, etc. Sad considering everyone there was once a noob and you'd think people would undersand and be happy for beginners wanting to get in shape and yeah maybe newcomers to fitness can ask some dumb questions at first but just dont reply if you dont feel like helpin, instead of giving snarky or sarcastic replies. Not everyone, of course. Some good people in there. Oh well. This thread on the other hand is awesome and Incredibly helpful.

In other news: I'll officially be a P90x grad on Saturday. :D

Not taking any time off (other than Sunday rest day) and going right back into it again on Monday. This time taking it up a notch with my intensity level and protein intake.

Top Bottom