• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

Actually I've just been informed by my brother in law that I was using his rumble roller.

Either way though I'm not too excited about it. I just don't see how there could be any real benefit. I mean I already feel fine, I don't get sore anymore, and I've never injured myself lifting either.

What other benefit could there be?

It's just Myofascial release. Same thing you would get from a massage. It's possible that you actually are sore and the roller is bringing it out. My legs still get sore and it feels good to roll them out. I also really enjoy it for popping my back and the roller angel move. I don't have the Cactus Rumble Roller, so maybe that's why I don't feel the extreme pain you do.

Aha! The #1 most-asked question on the entirety of MFP! Give me a second to type up some info for you. The short answer is it doesn't really matter. Eat a little snack if you're hungry, if you're feeling good then chill for the night.

Thanks man. I really appreciate the feedback. It's really important to me that I meet this goal. One of my best friends and I were going to push each other to hit certain fitness goals by the end of the July. He was killed on New Year's Eve and I'm desperately trying to reach my 6 pack goal in his honor.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Okay obijkenobi,

The net calorie goal set for you by MFP is an estimation of how much you need to net to lose weight at the rate you specified when you made your account.

If you follow that, you will more or less lose at the rate necessary to exactly reach your goal on time.

If you exercise during the day and don't eat back those calories, or eat lower-calorie meals than usual and wind up with a net green number- the 194 you've got in this case- you have what's called an additional caloric deficit. Maintaining a caloric deficit will mean you'll lose weight faster than you would if you reached 0 every night.

However, and this is a big deal- if you have too much of a deficit, meaning you exercised a ton without taking in enough calories for energy, or didn't eat nearly enough for the day, you risk putting your body into a state called starvation mode. Starvation mode is a debatable concept, but the long and short of it is that if you have too few net calories in a day, your body won't know what the fuck is going on and will do everything possible to stop you from losing weight because it thinks you might be dying.

The basic idea is that, while you're on a fitness regimen, you should feel good. You shouldn't ever be starving, but if you've got a caloric deficit and you don't feel hungry that's fine too. Listen to your body and you'll comfortably reach your goals- and the results will be longer-lasting than more extreme approaches like fasting or cleansing.

edit: Holy shit man. My condolences. Stick around this thread, and we'll help you get where you're going.

Thanks man. I really appreciate the feedback. It's really important to me that I meet this goal. One of my best friends and I were going to push each other to hit certain fitness goals by the end of the July. He was killed on New Year's Eve and I'm desperately trying to reach my 6 pack goal in his honor.

This got to me. I'm going to bring it in my workout in his honor as well.

As for your ab goal I've read that some guys can get the abs showing at 11% body fat but most guys don't look really cut in the abs until they get down to 6-8% body fat.

Okay obijkenobi,

The net calorie goal set for you by MFP is an estimation of how much you need to net to lose weight at the rate you specified when you made your account.

If you follow that, you will more or less lose at the rate necessary to exactly reach your goal on time.

If you exercise during the day and don't eat back those calories, or eat lower-calorie meals than usual and wind up with a net green number- the 194 you've got in this case- you have what's called an additional caloric deficit. Maintaining a caloric deficit will mean you'll lose weight faster than you would if you reached 0 every night.

However, and this is a big deal- if you have too much of a deficit, meaning you exercised a ton without taking in enough calories for energy, or didn't eat nearly enough for the day, you risk putting your body into a state called starvation mode. Starvation mode is a debatable concept, but the long and short of it is that if you have too few net calories in a day, your body won't know what the fuck is going on and will do everything possible to stop you from losing weight because it thinks you might be dying.

The basic idea is that, while you're on a fitness regimen, you should feel good. You shouldn't ever be starving, but if you've got a caloric deficit and you don't feel hungry that's fine too. Listen to your body and you'll comfortably reach your goals- and the results will be longer-lasting than more extreme approaches like fasting or cleansing.

edit: Holy shit man. My condolences. Stick around this thread, and we'll help you get where you're going.

Definitely not trying to fast or diet. Just trying to eat more healthy. And when I don't eat healthy, just trying to keep myself accountable. I'm gonna have those nights where I go out for dates/drink, etc and that's fine, but I just gotta work out harder that day or eat less going into that. I'm taking this real seriously. Even bought that heart rate monitor so I can track exactly how many calories I burn during work outs

This got to me. I'm going to bring it in my workout in his honor as well.

As for your ab goal I've read that some guys can get the abs showing at 11% body fat but most guys don't look really cut in the abs until they get down to 6-8% body fat.

Is there a theortical threshold where you start going into starvation mode? I've heard of that before, but never been told how few calories you go into to get that low.

In case anyone is interested, this is an article detailing the attack on my friend. I read it at work and had to go home for the day. I was completely devastated. It's a surreal feeling reading articles about your dead friend and seeing a picture you took of him in it. Still don't feel real and it's almost been 7 months

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2012/05/witness_defendants_in_lansing.html

Is there a theortical threshold where you start going into starvation mode? I've heard of that before, but never been told how few calories you go into to get that low.

In case anyone is interested, this is an article detailing the attack on my friend. I read it at work and had to go home for the day. I was completely devastated. It's a surreal feeling reading articles about your dead friend and seeing a picture you took of him in it. Still don't feel real and it's almost been 7 months

http://www.mlive.com/lansing-news/index.ssf/2012/05/witness_defendants_in_lansing.html

That was hard for me to read and I didn't even know him. My condolences. Does anyone have any idea now what made those guys go after him? I see the article is from May 18th. Is the trial still in the preliminary stage?

That was hard for me to read and I didn't even know him. My condolences. Does anyone have any idea now what made those guys go after him? I see the article is from May 18th. Is the trial still in the preliminary stage?

It's moving forward. The prosecutors upped the charges from manslaugther to murder 2. It sounds like the bouncers are going to claim Travis head butted one of them when they confronted him on the way out. Still doesn't justify chasing him half a block and gang attacking him like that after he left IF that happened.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn, man. That is really brutal stuff. I'm so sorry you had to experience that and my heart goes out to his family. Definitely gonna pause and count my blessings before bed.

This helps me to worry less about weight, calorie counting and body fat percentage, but more about maintaining healthy life

http://www.leighpeele.com/body-fat-pictures-and-percentages

10-percent-body-fat-male-pictures1.jpg

Does everyone look alike at the same body fat percentage?

No, not at all. Body fat percentage isn’t an indicator of your amount of lean body mass. The amount of muscle your body has is going to make a significant difference in your overall look. What is the right look? This is up to personal preference and program design. This post isn’t about judgment, but more so a definition of the difference between the two.

Take these two males in the picture below. Both are roughly at 10% body fat. As you can see, there is a noticeable difference in their looks and muscle composition. Again, this isn’t about judging, but simply stating a noticeable physical difference. The man on the left has a legitimate 15 more pounds of muscle than the guy on the right.

LaneDS

Wahoo. Recovery & mobility complete. I have terrible squat form, and totally used a Swiffer for that move (and my rumble roller for the twisting step back lunge deals, which felt nice). Enjoyed the exchanges between Tony and Cedric as well.

Long over-due shower time is upon me(it is a good thing I can't smell).

oatmeal

Banned

Fuck.

LaneDS

haha, and guess which one I look like right now? The skinny guy :(

Better than then some of us fat folks, or former fatties! At least in my humble opinion.

Also, just saw obijkenobi's posts... that's terribly sad to hear about your friend and I wish you all the best in meeting (and exceeding) both of your goals man.

Ixian

Do you guys follow blogs of people that are on P90x? I found this guy's blog who documented his progress. Really great results by the end, too.

http://samp90x.blogspot.com
I actually started poking around on reddit's p90x section but I felt like I was cheating on you guys! :p

Killed it on Plyo today. My heart rate monitor now fits comfortably so I decided to give it a shot to get a good idea of my heart rate:

BPM avg: 138
BPM max: 165
Calories: 726
Heartbeats: 8287

Calories is particularly interesting, since I also use a dotfit exerspy, which says I burned around 474 calories.

Better than then some of us fat folks, or former fatties! At least in my humble opinion.

Also, just saw obijkenobi's posts... that's terribly sad to hear about your friend and I wish you all the best in meeting (and exceeding) both of your goals man.

You are muscular beast! In terms of the Avengers I'm more like Hawkeye or Spiderman at best while you are like either Thor or Cap America

And of course I wanna be dat Hulk

LaneDS

You are muscular beast! In terms of the Avengers I'm more like Hawkeye or Spiderman at best while you are like either Thor or Cap America

And of course I wanna be dat Hulk

Hah, I'm more like the S.H.I.E.L.D. agent, or pick some character that has some fat somewhere on their body. One day, maybe, I can be a Cap if I work hard enough, and so can you (or, y'know, the Hulk).

FOOTE

I'm going to dive into p90x2 soon. Just placed an order for all of the extra equipment I'll need for it. I want to finish off the P90x/Insanity schedule I'm in right now first though.

I also bought Shakeology, hopefully it's as good as Beachbody says because it's expensive as fuck.

Damn you guys were right, Yoga X2 is definitely more enjoyable and I feel it flows better. I have yet to try the Plyocide.

Do any of you suggest I replace P90X Plyometrics with Plyocide and Yoga with X2's Yoga?

Damn you guys were right, Yoga X2 is definitely more enjoyable and I feel it flows better. I have yet to try the Plyocide.

Do any of you suggest I replace P90X Plyometrics with Plyocide and Yoga with X2's Yoga?

If this is your first time doing X I'd suggest sticking with Plyometrics for the whole first run.
They are both hard but I don't like the idea of modifying the schedule too much on your first run.

If this is your first time doing X I'd suggest sticking with Plyometrics for the whole first run.
They are both hard but I don't like the idea of modifying the schedule too much on your first run.

You are indeed right. Plyometrics gets fairly boring with the same consistency and I had thought about changing it up from time to time. I've done P90X before, just never had the consistency to get through it all. It changes this summer, as of this past Monday. I'm eating better, cleaner, and getting more sleep.

LaneDS

Crested just under 190 lb for the first time since starting P90X today, but will be going out for sushi with co-workers in a bit. X2 Total Body + Ab Ripper X2 tonight so I'll hopefully bring it a bit harder to make up for how much sushi I plan to eat (i.e. lots).

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
any insanity grads here?

what was your results? I'm nearly done <2 weeks to go and so far

-5kilo
-2% bodyfat.

i was hoping I would have dropped more body fat, but I look really really noticeably slimmer. Abs are a long way off, my scale reads me at 17% bodyfat now.

Sounds like I need to lose another 6% before getting into the 6pack territory? Damnit that's hard. going to hit p90x after this is done. Probably my Hawaii vacation is going to be a bit of a setback though.

I hope I'm not being too harsh saying this, but I really dislike the idea of substituting anything during your first run, yoga, plyo, or Ab ripper. It's just too easy an way out on a program that's about pushing yourself and growth

I hope I'm not being too harsh saying this, but I really dislike the idea of substituting anything during your first run, yoga, plyo, or Ab ripper. It's just too easy an way out on a program that's about pushing yourself and growth

Yup, exactly why I said it. X2 Yoga is an exception. Even Tony himself has given the ok on subbing that in for Yoga X. Because people will flat out not do it. It's a good alternative to have.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member

I made it to day 67 on my first round of p90x, I like yoga, but it's overlong. the first 45 is where the money is as well.

1 hour and 35 minutes, with working a full 8 hours, then with travel home etc, then doing yoga, feels pretty much like food then bed. will definitely sub with x2 when I start my run agian.

LaneDS

Yep, I'm done with X1 yoga aside from rare days where I'll want a longer workout or have more free time. Is the type of yoga done in both workouts considered "power yoga"? I've had people ask me what type it is, and I say that I don't know and that it kicks my ass.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Tested body fat at work today, 26.2%. Probably a lot lower than January before X2. It says that's obese, but I sure as hell don't look obese. :p

Still have about 15 lbs left to lose though, so that number should keep dropping.

any insanity grads here?

-5kilo
-2% bodyfat.

i was hoping I would have dropped more body fat, but I look really really noticeably slimmer. Abs are a long way off, my scale reads me at 17% bodyfat now.

Sounds like I need to lose another 6% before getting into the 6pack territory? Damnit that's hard. going to hit p90x after this is done. Probably my Hawaii vacation is going to be a bit of a setback though.

Yup here. Finished 2 weeks ago.

I put on weight but visually lost a lot from my stomach. From the exercised I only expected fat loss so im happy with what i got, plus im a lot fitter now.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
any insanity grads here?

-5kilo
-2% bodyfat.

I finished Insanity almost 2 weeks ago. Went right into P90X, I finished Day 11 this morning. I'd done P90 prior to Insanity, started back on Jan 9.

From January 9 through June 10 (so P90 + Insanity):
Chest: -3"
Right Arm: -2.5"
Left Arm: -2"
Waist: -7"
Hips: -4.5"
Right Thigh: -3"
Left Thigh: -3"
Weight: -24.2lbs

Not sure what the % bodyfat change was. A caliper test on 6/11 I did showed 12.5%. I went beyond my weight loss goal during Insanity and NEVER expected to have a sub-32" waist.

If you're not being harsh, you're not pushing me enough. I do all the weight lifting exercises at the gym due to having easy access there, plus following up the workout with a few bench presses for chest days, and some squats thrown in for shits and giggles (always having good form though with lighter weights).

There is a HUGE difference between doing these at the gym versus doing them at home, to me mentally. I get stares from some of the "bros" at the gym who seem to be unable to crank out all the push-ups from the video, and just give me a high-five when I finish the workout. It's very awesome to just hear, "Dude, that looks like a pretty bad-ass workout, kudos to you." *brofist*

mehdi_san

P90X2 grads, how do you know, or how do you decide when to switch to the next phase? I've just finished 3 weeks of phase 1, and I still can't decide whether to do another week of the same thing, do a recovery week, or start phase 2... Any advice on this?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It's all up to you to be honest. Do you think your performance in phase 1 increased considerably since the first week? If it did, then it's probably a good idea to move to phase 2.

Personally I did 3 weeks of Phase 1, 6 weeks of 2, and I'm doing 3 weeks of phase 3.

I wouldn't recommend doing the X2 Recovery week after phase 1 though. It's going to kill all the momentum you have so far.

I made it to day 67 on my first round of p90x, I like yoga, but it's overlong. the first 45 is where the money is as well.

1 hour and 35 minutes, with working a full 8 hours, then with travel home etc, then doing yoga, feels pretty much like food then bed. will definitely sub with x2 when I start my run agian.

It's 90 mins long, average length of a short movie. A regular resistance exercise is 75 mins with Ab ripper, only if you do it non-stop. It's really not that long

I work full time and had school part time when I did p90x

I just find it a bit funny that for a program that has "no excuses!" as one of its mottos, there are so many from different people for different things

But it's also up to really why we are doing this in the first place. There was guy early in the thread - he had really crazy results, so good he should be in the infomercial for p90x - he didn't do yoga. He didn't find it helpful at all

So if all you want is to look good or be satisfied with that kind of change- more power to you

I'm the opposite. I really believe yoga is essential to the program. Okay, even Tony okays the switch to X2 yoga. But nevertheless, I always believe that it is worth exploring our own resistances rather than finding easier substitute

P90X2 grads, how do you know, or how do you decide when to switch to the next phase? I've just finished 3 weeks of phase 1, and I still can't decide whether to do another week of the same thing, do a recovery week, or start phase 2... Any advice on this?

It's really up to you. I did 4 weeks of each phase. I can tell you from doing it that the second phase is much more like P90X than the rest of the program. So if that is something that fits your goals then do more weeks of that than the other 2 phases. Don't worry about fucking the schedule up. There is no right or wrong answer. Take a recovery week when you feel like you need it or just take one like you would with X, at the end of a phase.

LaneDS

Yup here. Finished 2 weeks ago.

I put on weight but visually lost a lot from my stomach. From the exercised I only expected fat loss so im happy with what i got, plus im a lot fitter now.

You should post some pictures when you can. Your initial day 1/day 90/day 150 results are one of the big reasons I decided to start on the program, so I'd be curious to see what finishing out X2 and Insanity did for you.

But it's also up to really why we are doing this in the first place. There was guy early in the thread - he had really crazy results, so good he should be in the infomercial for p90x - he didn't do yoga. He didn't find it helpful at all

Who was this? I should read pages 2 through 30 or so sometime, since I didn't get active until somewhere around that time I think.

It's all up to you to be honest. Do you think your performance in phase 1 increased considerably since the first week? If it did, then it's probably a good idea to move to phase 2.

Personally I did 3 weeks of Phase 1, 6 weeks of 2, and I'm doing 3 weeks of phase 3.

I wouldn't recommend doing the X2 Recovery week after phase 1 though. It's going to kill all the momentum you have so far.

Since you and a number of others have said the 3/6/3, that's pretty much what I'm doing regardless of performance. Part of why I liked P90X so much is because it doesn't give you much in the way of freedom, and I respond well to that kind of structured approach. At the very least I'll do the minimum, but if I'm feeling overzealous (like yesterday) I can add to it as need be.

If you're not being harsh, you're not pushing me enough. I do all the weight lifting exercises at the gym due to having easy access there, plus following up the workout with a few bench presses for chest days, and some squats thrown in for shits and giggles (always having good form though with lighter weights).

There is a HUGE difference between doing these at the gym versus doing them at home, to me mentally. I get stares from some of the "bros" at the gym who seem to be unable to crank out all the push-ups from the video, and just give me a high-five when I finish the workout. It's very awesome to just hear, "Dude, that looks like a pretty bad-ass workout, kudos to you." *brofist*

Thanks. I know I can come off as preachy. I just think the commitment and mental part is just as important as the physical exercises themselves

I know we all want to look good and many parts of the program are very challenging, but before X2 only P90X existed, and before that no program comparable existed, so where do we stop trying to find the next easy thing and just do it?

Stick around - we always have people asking how to do p90x in the gym, and you will be a great help to them

Hey everyone, below are my Day 1,Day 30,Day 75,Day 90, and 120 Day photos photos.
Wow I can't believe I'm finished the 90 days, but it all seemed to go by so quickly. I mean 90 days to go from what I was to what I am now, only 3 months, seems like its magic. It's incredible what this program can do for you if you commit yourself and really want to make that change in your life.
I will say that my first week I did the Chest&Back routine followed by the Plyometrics workout the day after and I was nearly dead. I actually could not walk for 5 days after Plyo,so the 1st week was kinda bad.
I started off not really paying much attention to my diet, at the end of the first week I moved to a new city and In one weekend had Mcdonalds,Tim Hortons,Subway,Chinese food,Cinnamon Buns, Carrot Cake ect.
It wasn't until just before Phase 2 that I started paying attention to my diet as well as taking Shakeology. I made sure to hit my protein goals (175g+/day),and was eating properly.

I work 12 hr shifts but I wanted to make a change in my life so I was still able to make sure I pushed play everyday before work.
My diet consisted of, Oatmeal with a scoop of ground Flax seed,Frozen berries,scoop of Protein,and Skim Milk for Breakfast. Did my workout an hour later, after workout had my Shakeology. When I made Shakeology it consisted of a Scoop of Shakeology,Scoop of Protein,Ground Flax,Benefibre,a little Skim Milk,Stawberries/banannas,Ice,and Water.For lunch was 2 whole wheat tuna/or lean Turkey breast Sandwiches,raw baby carrots,an Apple. Snacks were Protein bars,Low Fat beef Jerky,Banannas,Cottage Cheese,Humus,Whole Wheat crackers,Cereal. Dinner could be Turkey Burgers with whole wheat buns,Lean Chicken breast with steamed veggies,ect.
My grocery list looked something like this:
Frozen Fruits/Veggies
Oatmeal
Skim/Almond Milk
Banannas,Apples
Lettuce,Carrots
Whole wheat noodles/WW Crackers
Homus
Turkey Burgers
Chicken breast
Lean Turkey sandwich meat/Tuna
Whole Wheat Sandwich thins/Whole Wheat Buns
Kashi Cereal
Light Spaghetti sauce
Egg Whites
Ground Flax Seed
Beef Jerky
Benefibre

Supplements I took were:
Shakeology
Protein Powder
Creatine
Oxy Elite Pro (Fat burner)

P.S I never did the Yoga routine, not cause I didn't think it would help but because I was so unflexible at the start of the program. Also because wear I was doing my workouts I did not have the space for yoga, I can say that I am a lot more flexible after the program and can now touch my toes ect..
I'm 6"1 and I started the year at 217lbs, I am currently 167lbs as of this morning with 7-8% bodyfat. Yes I've lost 50 lbs of fat this year, I can do 13 pullups now and was only able to barely do 2 at the start of the program.

Day 1
get_message_attachment

Day 30
get_message_attachment

Day 75
get_message_attachment

Day 90
get_message_attachment

Day 120
get_message_attachment

I'd like to be added to the Gaf graduates list if possible

Lane, FYI page 4 per 50 posts

And I was wrong - he just didn't do yoga, not that he didn't find it helpful

LaneDS

Damn, crazy results indeed. I'm not even at his day 1 levels though, which is a little discouraging.

Ate a ton at lunch, so much bringing it needs to happen tonight after work.

Damn, crazy results indeed. I'm not even at his day 1 levels though, which is a little discouraging.

Ate a ton at lunch, so much bringing it needs to happen tonight after work.

You will do whatever you have to do to work that routine out tonight. You will not go to bed until you complete it.

There is no discouragement, you will use that as an example and move forward to getting YOUR results.

Now go out there and show yourself what you can do!

Top Bottom