• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beachbody Workouts |OT| Gaf Does P90/X/X2, Insanity/Asylum, T-25 and More!

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
What flavor? I still have plenty for the moment but I'm gonna switch it up for my next order. :D

I was just debating. So far, I've only had the vanilla and chocolate. The Chocolate is great - love it. The vanilla is disappointing - I could only finish it by mixing a scoop of vanilla with a scoop of chocolate. I'm considering cookies and cream... which have you tried?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've only tried Vanilla Raspberry, but I really really like it. Cookies and Cream is what I was thinking for next time myself...

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Definitely try the chocolate, it's quite good. I'll give the vanilla raspberry a try. I know someone else around here was praising it as well.

LaneDS

I've only tried Vanilla Raspberry, but I really really like it. Cookies and Cream is what I was thinking for next time myself...

This is the only flavor I've tried so far (was the cheapest on Amazon) but I also think it's good. Generally I'll do 12 oz of skim milk + two scoops and find that's pretty good.

Also, glad to hear the melatonin is helping! I'll skip it on days I can stay up late and sleep in (usually) but it's great on work nights when I need to get to sleep.

There was an ice cream social event here at work today, and I walked to where they were passing out treats with my immediate co-workers and managed to look but not touch (and get made fun of for skipping it). Last night I was in a 7-11 with a friend, and while she got tons of candy and other stuff I was able to avoid it and not feel terrible hunger pangs (although, at the time of this writing, I am craving something sweet which kind of sucks). Anyway, the above just feels like dietary progress for me, and I wanted to share.

Plyocide tonight, woo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hehe. Good self-control man.

I actually like the Vanilla Raspberry just fine with just cold water, which I find very rare for this kind of drink (usually needs some milk to be tolerable).

Chocolate actually sounds pretty tasty, I haven't had anything of that flavor since I started this whole deal (vanilla whey protein, plain almond milk, blue... raspberryish Assault, and the Lean1).

I'm going to leave these here.

u0UJN.jpg

clJh7.jpg

7A5Zo.jpg

Llvvs.jpg

Ixian

Re: the don't eat after 8 PM thing... I'm in the "that's BS" camp. I don't eat till around 9:30 PM and go to bed between 11 PM and 12 AM usually, and I feel great. I'm talking 1000+ calorie meals, too, since post-workout is where I try to get the bulk of my calories in.

Re: Greek yogurt. Buy some stevia in the raw, and throw some cinnamon in there too. I'm not that big of a fan of honey due to the sugar contents.

Finally got the hang of cycling on my InStride while on my exercise ball, yay!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I like his leaner looks much better in X2
Hmm i'll have to look out for this, I thought his build was about the same.

Re: the don't eat after 8 PM thing... I'm in the "that's BS" camp. I don't eat till around 9:30 PM and go to bed between 11 PM and 12 AM usually, and I feel great. I'm talking 1000+ calorie meals, too, since post-workout is where I try to get the bulk of my calories in.

Re: Greek yogurt. Buy some stevia in the raw, and throw some cinnamon in there too. I'm not that big of a fan of honey due to the sugar contents.

Finally got the hang of cycling on my InStride while on my exercise ball, yay!
Nice work, that does sound tricky to me.

I'm also planning on starting on P90X on July 1st. I would do it sooner but I won't be able to take the program this weekend.

To compensate, I decided to get started with alternating Yoga X and Cardio X this week, since my biggest shortcoming in exercising right now is that I run out of breath really quickly. My heart rate typically stays about 160+ bpm after five minutes into an exercise, so I need to work on keeping up with the oxygen demand.

LaneDS

I'm also planning on starting on P90X on July 1st. I would do it sooner but I won't be able to take the program this weekend.

To compensate, I decided to get started with alternating Yoga X and Cardio X this week, since my biggest shortcoming in exercising right now is that I run out of breath really quickly. My heart rate typically stays about 160+ bpm after five minutes into an exercise, so I need to work on keeping up with the oxygen demand.

Be sure to take your day 1 photos, ask plenty of questions, and keep pressing play. Good choice to work on yoga and cardio this week before you start proper, because doing anything is better than not, uh, doing anything. Good luck.

KingGondo

Banned

I wish I had your problem (kinda).

My resting heart rate is between 70 and 80 bpm, and I have to really, really push it to get into my "zone" at 135 bpm. Kenpo X hardly does anything for me anymore.

I wish I had your problem (kinda).

My resting heart rate is between 70 and 80 bpm, and I have to really, really push it to get into my "zone" at 135 bpm. Kenpo X hardly does anything for me anymore.

If you can try to get your hands on something like Pure Cardio from Insanity. I ditched Kenpo long ago. That workout doesn't scale well with your body once you've been doing the program for awhile.

KingGondo

Banned
If you can try to get your hands on something like Pure Cardio from Insanity. I ditched Kenpo long ago. That workout doesn't scale well with your body once you've been doing the program for awhile.
I'll have to do that. I've been considering doing Insanity after P90X anyways.

Honestly, probably the best cardio workout from P90X (for me at least) is the first 40 minutes of Yoga X. I'm always absolutely drenched after that.

Ixian

I think I'm going to make this change after my recovery week. Using a heart rate monitor for it really opened my eyes to how ineffective it is for me, plus I want some Shaun T in my life again.

LaneDS

I'll have to do that. I've been considering doing Insanity after P90X anyways.

Honestly, probably the best cardio workout from P90X (for me at least) is the first 40 minutes of Yoga X. I'm always absolutely drenched after that.

Have you tried X2 yoga? It is similarly exhausting early on and you're pretty much just doing sun salutations, vinyasas, upward/downward dog, warrior 1 briefly, and then repeat... in quick succession. Totally brutal (especially if you throw in those bonus push-ups, which I feel like everyone should!).

owlbeak

Week 5, Day 2 done! Man oh man was Plyo easy this week. I didn't struggle through the last few sets like I usually do.

Tomorrow is Day 30 for me and I'll post my day 0 and day 30 progress photos! I looked at my Day 0 photos a minute ago and was ashamed of myself haha. I've made good progress so far!

Have you tried X2 yoga? It is similarly exhausting early on and you're pretty much just doing sun salutations, vinyasas, upward/downward dog, warrior 1 briefly, and then repeat... in quick succession. Totally brutal (especially if you throw in those bonus push-ups, which I feel like everyone should!).

If Ted is doing a push up then I'm doing a push up.

KingGondo

Banned
Argh, too many programs I want to try now!

Tony has created a monster!

LaneDS

Argh, too many programs I want to try now!

Tony has created a monster!

This is a good problem to have!

Just completed Plyocide for the second time, and ugggggh. So effin hard. That said, I could see definite improvement on a few moves already so that was cool.

Tuned into the live chat, and I think it's funny how much Tony rags on the other Beachbody programs... I have to imagine the suits don't love that. How often does he do these?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
This chat was freaking great.

Someone asked Tony a question about improving love life, to which he replied:

Body Beast will help you get the girl. Yoga X will make you keep the girl....... lol

Also, holy shit, you gotta eat 6000 calories when doing Body Beast.

LaneDS

This chat was freaking great.

Someone asked Tony a question about improving love life, to which he replied:

Body Beast will help you get the girl. Yoga X will make you keep the girl....... lol

Tony Horton: teaching those 11 year old girl hockey players all the secrets of lovemaking and gang life.

Yep that has got to take the cake in terms of difficulty for me. 40 mins of pure hell. Mind you i do the regular P90x version but still hard as balls.

I dont think im a violent person at all - but dont disturb me when im doing that portion, i get ugly.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
...wow. I guess I really do need to be eating a lot more- not that what I'm doing is anywhere close to as psycho as that program, but I'm not even yet consistently eating 2000.

edit: I LOVE the Single-Double-Triple in X2 Yoga. Feels so natural. The Warrior 3 moves are what kick the shit out of me.

LaneDS

...wow. I guess I really do need to be eating a lot more- not that what I'm doing is anywhere close to as psycho as that program, but I'm not even yet consistently eating 2000.

edit: I LOVE the Single-Double-Triple in X2 Yoga. Feels so natural. The Warrior 3 moves are what kick the shit out of me.

Everything is warrior 3 in X2 it seems; I cannot escape it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
haha. I love how the implication is that you're supposed to go Warrior 3/Half Moon/Warrior 3/Twisting Half Moon/Warrior 3/Standing Splits/Crunch Raises/Standing Splits/Warrior 3 before letting your other leg touch the ground at all... maybe in a few years. I mean I do alright with it now compared to when I started P90X the first time, but holy crap.

LaneDS

haha. I love how the implication is that you're supposed to go Warrior 3/Half Moon/Warrior 3/Twisting Half Moon/Warrior 3/Standing Splits/Crunch Raises/Standing Splits/Warrior 3 before letting your other leg touch the ground at all... maybe in a few years. I mean I do alright with it now compared to when I started P90X the first time, but holy crap.

Yeah, it's very difficult. I have ok flexibility in some regards, but I have trouble opening my hips up as much as those moves require. Also, everytime I'm supposed to bring a leg into the air and swing it through, I *always* need to pull my foot forward because it'll hit the ground too early; hopefully that'll change months from now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
everytime I'm supposed to bring a leg into the air and swing it through, I *always* need to pull my foot forward because it'll hit the ground too early; hopefully that'll change months from now.
Definitely, that's one thing I've improved massively over time. I feel like I have a fairly good amount of control while doing that. But maintaining balance in the half-moon poses... hoo

KingGondo

Banned
So I finish P90X (Lean) in 2 1/2 weeks.

I don't have much desire to do the Classic routine--overall core strength and cardio fitness are more my cup of tea. I've lost weight (and my overall fitness is a million times better), but I want to amp up the weight loss.

Here's what I was thinking of doing after I'm done with it:

5-day routine:

M: Core Syn
T: 5K run outside + Ab Ripper X
W: Plyo/Yoga X (alternating weeks)
T: Rest
F: 5K run+ Ab Ripper X
Sat: Legs & Back
Sun: Rest

Am I leaving any major gaps in my strength or leaving myself susceptible to injury? Any other suggestions? FYI, I haven't done Plyo yet (it's not part of the Lean Program at all), but I figured it would be a good overall body workout (and a good change of pace from Yoga X every other week).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That will burn like crazy; A very good custom schedule. My merest suggestion would be to attempt to do Yoga (X2 preferably :p) once a week instead of every other week. Maybe alternate between Plyo and one of the 5k run days instead?

Plyo's gonna be quite something the first time btw ;)

owlbeak

Here's my 30 Day progress photos. Not great pictures, but oh well. I am very pleased so far.

Forgive the cases of beer. The first photo was taken after Memorial Day weekend and had friends over all weekend. :)

SV4O3.jpg

May 28th I weighed 178lbs.

Today I weigh 165.

KingGondo

Banned
That will burn like crazy; A very good custom schedule. My merest suggestion would be to attempt to do Yoga (X2 preferably :p) once a week instead of every other week. Maybe alternate between Plyo and one of the 5k run days instead?

Plyo's gonna be quite something the first time btw ;)
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I was actually disappointed when I looked through the lean schedule and didn't see Plyo... I had always heard it was among the toughest workouts (although Core Syn, Legs and Back and Yoga X are tough, too).

I need to get ahold of Yoga X2 somehow, although I've modified Yoga X to be shorter--I cut out a significant portion of the balance portion and Yoga Belly Seven and focus on stretches. Also not sure I can stomach spending $250 or so on X2 plus the equipment so soon after I bought X1. :-/

At any rate, I have time before I finish X1 to tweak my schedule and think about it.

In other news, I just called Black Mountain Products and they are seriously awesome. My green band snapped doing lawnmowers, and they're rush-shipping me replacements + the orange band for free!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for the feedback. Yeah, I was actually disappointed when I looked through the lean schedule and didn't see Plyo... I had always heard it was among the toughest workouts (although Core Syn, Legs and Back and Yoga X are tough, too).

I need to get ahold of Yoga X2 somehow, although I've modified Yoga X to be shorter--I cut out a significant portion of the balance portion and Yoga Belly Seven and focus on stretches. Also not sure I can stomach spending $250 or so on X2 plus the equipment so soon after I bought X1. :-/

At any rate, I have time before I finish X1 to tweak my schedule and think about it.

In other news, I just called Black Mountain Products and they are seriously awesome. My green band snapped doing lawnmowers, and they're rush-shipping me replacements + the orange band for free!
Yeah I wouldn't say it's worth buying X2; I was just luckily enough to be able to borrow the one dvd.

BMP is awesome indeed, I had the same experience doing lawnmowers with my red band. Haven't used bands since starting my new cycle but it's cool to thing I can bring them when I travel to get some training in on the go.

edit: Awesome results birdcity! 13 pounds in 30 days is dynamite, your metabolism must be kicking! I know you'll have a great Phase 2 and 3, keep on bringing it!

Ixian

All the yoga talk reminded me that I need to order a yoga block so I can keep my leg up higher during the moves during the warrior 3 phase. Every time I do yoga I think "I suck at this, I need a yoga block" and always forget to order one.

FOOTE

Here's my 30 Day progress photos. Not great pictures, but oh well. I am very pleased so far.

Forgive the cases of beer. The first photo was taken after Memorial Day weekend and had friends over all weekend. :)

http://i.imgur.com/SV4O3.jpg[/MG]

May 28th I weighed 178lbs.

Today I weigh 165.[/QUOTE]
You're on your way. Keep it up!

LaneDS

All the yoga talk reminded me that I need to order a yoga block so I can keep my leg up higher during the moves during the warrior 3 phase. Every time I do yoga I think "I suck at this, I need a yoga block" and always forget to order one.

Order it now!

Birdcity, great job! I have lost about that much weight after 100 days (oh damn, today's a milestone!) of the program so I'm a bit jelly, but it is clear you're dedicated by both your results and your thread participation so big thumbs up! Day 60 and day 90 are going to feel awesome, I promise.

Ixian

Order it now!
I did as soon as I wrote that post. :)

birdcity, how tall are you? My body looks kinda similar to how yours does now (though I still have some fat in areas you don't blargh), and every time I look in the mirror I feel like the amount of weight my body looks like it could still lose is more than the amount a person my height should probably weigh. Hate it!

owlbeak

I did as soon as I wrote that post. :)

birdcity, how tall are you? My body looks kinda similar to how yours does now (though I still have some fat in areas you don't blargh), and every time I look in the mirror I feel like the amount of weight my body looks like it could still lose is more than the amount a person my height should probably weigh. Hate it!
I'm 5'7 barely!

Thanks for the encouragement, all!

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
You can buy the One on One version of Yoga MC2 (what it was originally called) for $20 from Beachbody, along with any other X2 DVD. I'm pretty sure the routines are the same.

Top Bottom