• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beat Dragon Quarter for the first time, No restarts.

Ferrio

Banned
Suck it down keebler and scott!

finishedDQ.jpg

Oh a question, will my ants still be the same? I shoved my fairy tear into the item box since I knew I was close to the end, so I should have it when I start again.

Scott

Ferrio said:
Suck it down keebler and scott!
Hey, I never claimed you couldn't beat it in one play, I just said you'd have a hard time doing so on your first try. :p

Anyway, it's kind of odd to see you come out of it with a relatively poor D-Ratio. I'm assuming you just didn't get many pre-emptive strikes, used hard saves a couple of times, and the like. Plus your gametime is double what's needed for a 1/4 Ratio. I guess it all adds up.

For reference, here's the D-Ratio order:

1/8192 (starting)
1/4096
1/2048
1/1024
1/512
1/256
1/128
1/64
1/32
1/16
1/8
1/4 (best)

And unfortunately, with that D-Ratio, you probably won't be able to enter many new areas at all... If that was mainly what you were after, you'll probably have to replay it a time or two before you see notable progress in that area. Sorry. :\

But still, congrats! Now go pump up the party with that XP, enjoy the easy starting game, and all the new SOL scenes. Have fun. :p

And damn, now I want to play this game again...

belgurdo

Banned
The way boss battles drag on, I'm tempted to go grab an AR and do away with the D-meter and save counter too. But I'll preservere because the story's pretty enriching when I have to work for it.

Scott

Wario64 said:
What was your end d-counter?
92%

<Scott> last few bosses give you a hard time?
<Ferrio> I smote them with dragon stuffs
<Scott> Ah, so you did end up using it. What was your % after the elavator boss?
<Ferrio> But before I got the last fights (right after the little girl fight) I had NO meds or nothing and everyone was hurt as hell. i had to run past stuff
<Ferrio> Luckily I was still able to get the chest In the room I ran through..... then the last slew of bosses I dragon form killed, but then the very last fight I was at 92% and I thought I was screwed

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Someone briefly explain to me how to play this game "correctly". I really want to get out of it the respect it gets on GA. I say this as a newb, not someone who beat it and scoffed at it.

Gattsu25

Banned
Musashi Wins! said:
Someone briefly explain to me how to play this game "correctly". I really want to get out of it the respect it gets on GA. I say this as a newb, not someone who beat it and scoffed at it.

Play
Play
Die
Restart
Play
Play
Play
Win

The innovation!

Ferrio

Banned
Well so far I've coasted through 2 hours through the replay with nothing even coming close to hurting me. I'm still pissed I won't be able to do the secret dungeon, I'd need an ungodly amount of party xp to burn through to get through it.. It's insane.

The SOL scenes are nice too, I still foggy on what the hell the whole story is about.

Ferrio

Banned
Hey dammit, MORE DQ LOVE.

So has anybody beaten the secret dungeon? I know what's at the bottom and I wonder how awesome it is.

Ferrio said:
Hey dammit, MORE DQ LOVE.

So has anybody beaten the secret dungeon? I know what's at the bottom and I wonder how awesome it is.

I got down to floor 45, but I was running out of healing items and had already used a chunk of my D-Counter, so I decided to bail. Still ended up with a great D-Ratio at the end of the game, though.

I'm sure I'll finish Kokon-Horay completely on my next swing through the game. Still shooting for that 1/4...

Ferrio

Banned
Greenpanda said:
I got down to floor 45, but I was running out of healing items and had already used a chunk of my D-Counter, so I decided to bail. Still ended up with a great D-Ratio at the end of the game, though.

I'm sure I'll finish Kokon-Horay completely on my next swing through the game. Still shooting for that 1/4...

When you exit the dungeon does your D-counter go back to what it was before you entered?

Ferrio said:
When you exit the dungeon does your D-counter go back to what it was before you entered?

Yes. And your D-Counter goes to 0% when you enter the dungeon. So, you basically have an entirely separate D-Counter for the bonus dungeon. (You go in, the D-Counter goes to 0%, you leave, the Counter goes back to what it was before you came in.)

Ferrio said:
Wish your party xp would go back to what it was, I used up 5k of it to test out the dungeon.

Yeah, the one thing I don't adore about the game is that getting the best performance out of your party (beating the bonus dungeon, getting 1/4) necessitates a lot of cycling to build up party XP, which isn't at all interesting and is rather out of step with all the strategy in the rest of the game.

Ferrio

Banned
The requirements to get 1/4 are INSANE.

I'm already 5 hours into my new game and no way I'd get it under 8. I guess you have to run through every room not fighting anything...

I've met all the requirements for a 1/4 ratio, but the playthrough I had going for it got interrupted by an electrical storm and I had to save and quit. So I missed the 1/4 by one save and have a 1/8 ratio right now. There's essentially no difference between the two.

Ferrio said:
The requirements to get 1/4 are INSANE.

I'm already 5 hours into my new game and no way I'd get it under 8. I guess you have to run through every room not fighting anything...

For what it's worth, not all the time you spend playing the game gets factored into the time the game uses for grading purposes. I know that any time that you spend in the bonus dungeon does not count, at least.

Ferrio

Banned
Greenpanda said:
For what it's worth, not all the time you spend playing the game gets factored into the time the game uses for grading purposes. I know that any time that you spend in the bonus dungeon does not count, at least.

That's good, I just smacked around the captain and still haven't hard saved.

I think what I'll do is I'll save right before the last boss battles, and fight them and then do a restore after those battles and do that a god awful amount of times and rack up some party XP then try to tackle the dungeon.

Ferrio said:
I think what I'll do is I'll save right before the last boss battles, and fight them and then do a restore after those battles and do that a god awful amount of times and rack up some party XP then try to tackle the dungeon.

That's the best way.

Still awfully tedious though :(

Ferrio

Banned
Ya, it's going to bump my time up a shit load though. Then hopefully I'll have enough party XP to bump up my guys to insane levels on my next play through.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ok, I'm actually gonna sit down and beat this game. I finally got past those 3 consecutive bosses at the end of the Frozen Road...my save game has been at this spot for like 7 months now :p

Friend said:
While we're still on the subject of BOF, any news on the next installment of the series?

Given DQ's sales, I haven't been getting my hopes for any future installments at all :p

.... :(

Top Bottom