• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bebpo is crazy, 360 has risen to the heavens and MC Data is out for the week

Ikael

And why is everybody forgetting that Wii Sports costs like 2/3 as much as Zelda, and that Wii Play comes with a controller? And that Zelda isn't as popular in Japan? It's not a surprise that it's 3rd.
Because otherwise their vision of Nintendo destroying gaming with the help of "non games" wouldn't sustent, while truth is that non gaming is an addition to the market, not an attack to the previously existing one.

Jesus, this topic brings me memories of the early PS1 era, when gaming was gonna be doomed thanks to 3D, "violent" games and CDs in detriment of "true" gaming.

Monk

Banned
So basically bebpo is trying to argue that a tie ratio of almost 2 is better than a tie ratio of less than 1 because a bunch of crappy third party games didnt do so well? Brilliant!

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
I know it's just 2 days of sales but...

Red Steel - 9,392
Tamagotchi Pika Pika Daitouryou - 8,042
Elebits - 5,791
Super Monkey Ball Banana Blitz - 4,423
Trauma Center Second Opinion - 4,107
Wing Island - 800

OUCH! Perhaps these games will see some increased sales once people start looking for something else after Wii Sports/Play. Elebits and Trauma Center deserve better sales.

But :lol @ people saying this is the end of gaming...I wouldn't have bought Zelda at launch. I'd have picked up Wii Sports and Wii Play, then Trauma Center, then Elebits, then probably Zelda.

Is it really a surprise that Wii Sports and Wii Play sold so well? Wii Sports has been the centre-piece of Wii advertising and has single-handedly interested new demographics. Wii Play is a collection of mini-games that comes with an extra controller. Both games are cheaper than others.

bmf said:
I was hoping for better. How does the 350k number stand up against tales of a 400k sellout?

The difference is probably related to how MC extrapolates sales from a smaller survey. All 400k sold out.

reminder

Elebits - 5,791

elebitfalls.gif

quetz67

Banned
AniHawk said:
Blue Dragon sold more than any other game this week and boosted 360 sales like Bebpo-crazy.
what are the numbers for Blue Dragon and 360 this week? Dont want to search the whole thread

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
My Arms Your Hearse said:
I'm way late to this thread, but Zelda has never been a HUGE megahit in Japan. N.A. is like 85% of Zelda's market, and always has been.
Im willing to bet its around 50%

Kolgar

Error2k4 said:
from 10/23-10/29 week

DSL 158,681
PSP 25,908
PS2 21,832
GBASP 1,858
Xbox360 1,565
GBM 1,351
GC 644
DS 114
GBA 15
Xbox 7

11/6-11/12

DSL 148,174
PS3 81,639
PSP 19,123
PS2 16,157
Xbox360 3,864
GBASP 1,320
GBM 1,213
GC 496
DS 279
GBA 12
Xbox 3

:lol

Im not going to search for more the system is on life support in japan dont get how bebpo and duckroll are getting that idea that it's going to, suddenly just because it has a few good games coming this month, reach PS2 levels of success.

Looks like them's the numbers.

Parl

Any chance that the low software sales of certain games are because of limited supply in general, and limited supply in certain stores?

I think we should give the Wii a couple of months to sort itself out (doubt it'll be sorted in terms of hardware supply by then) and then we can start judging software sales.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Parl said:
Any chance that the low software sales of certain games are because of limited supply in general, and limited supply in certain stores?

I believe the normal weekly Media-Create gives shipment numbers as well as sales numbers, so we might find out by then.

LOCK

Wow this thread is awesome. Funny....:lol :lol :lol

Zelda hopefully won't die a horrible death in Japan and has some sort of legs....

jarrod

Banned
As an aside, do we have 1st week DS sales for comparison... I seem to remember games like Kimishine or Mr Driller launching to rather unimpressive figures (like under 10-20k) then going on to sell 75-100k copies lifetime? I'd say that's a possibility for stuff like Gundam Scad Hammers or mayabe Tamagotchi.

Pellham said:
Now the 360 getting tons of cool games (especially jRPGs), well this is cool and all but the Dreamcast had the exact same situation (tons of RPGs, sims, adv ports, etc.) and look where that got it. Other than Blue Dragon, none of the 360's top tier japanese-oriented games are mass market system sellers. You can put all the hardcore games you want on it, in the end only gaming otaku are going to buy them.
To be fair, this scenario worked out pretty well for Saturn and PC Engine though. Dreamcast had a lot of more unique factors going against it, not that Xbox 360 doesn't have it's own hurdles though... I'm sure Microsoft would love it if the machine could move the 2.3m or so DC did in Japan actually.

cvxfreak said:
Ubisoft for the win with the Wii, and I guess Bandai Namco with the PS3?
Didn't NBGI expect 1.000.000 each for RR7 and Gundam Crossfire... in Japan alone? I don't think anyone's really winning on the PS3 front at this point. ;)

Bebpo said:
And then we'll be comparing Ridge Racer (a series that does around 500k) vs. DQ (a series that does millions). Sound like a fair comparison? At that point how about we wait until FFXIII so we can compare its sales vs. DQS. @_@
Actually, DQ spinoffs do about as well as RRs (300-600k generally). Certainly a fairer comparison than putting RR up against Cadeucus or Monkey Ball.

Parl

Predictions time. Which one will sell most by this time next year? Wii Sports or Wii Play?

Wii Sports has the hype and promotional advantage, and Wii Play has a general value advantage. More Wii Sports sales will help bring up Wii Play sales because of people wanting more Wii-motes to play Wii Sports (and Wii Play).

Also, gamers who don't care much for the seemingly shallow gameplay of both titles will want to pick up Wii Play more so because of the Wii-mote.

The hype and promotion driven sales of Wi Sports will go down, but maybe it has more word-of-mouth motivation. The value of Wii Play will continue far because of the Wii-mote.

I'm voting for Wii Play, but I won't be surprised if Wii Sports pulls a Brain Training and sells to lots of non-people and wins.

Pellham

Banned
jarrod said:
To be fair, this scenario worked out pretty well for Saturn and PC Engine though. Dreamcast had a lot of more unique factors going against it, not that Xbox 360 doesn't have it's own hurdles though... I'm sure Microsoft would love it if the machine could move the 2.3m or so DC did in Japan actually.

If the X360 keeps getting a steady flow of Japanese oriented games (and I think it will since the dev costs for making an X360 game are far less than making a PS3 game), then yeah I can see the X360 easily getting a 1-2m installed userbase in Japan and definately doing better than the PS3, FF13 or not. I don't really think the FF series is a killer app in Japan anymore seeing as that FF has become radically different from what it used to be.

Of course, if for some reason S-E decides to put DQ9 on the PS3 even despite its projected userbase of less than 500k by end of the year, its all over for X360 in Japan

Pellham said:
If the X360 keeps getting a steady flow of Japanese oriented games (and I think it will since the dev costs for making an X360 game are far less than making a PS3 game), then yeah I can see the X360 easily getting a 1-2m installed userbase in Japan and definately doing better than the PS3, FF13 or not.

Getting 2m in Japan would be Dreamcast territory there. While obviously that isn't great sales for that market, it would be fascinating.

Bo130

Parl said:
Predictions time. Which one will sell most by this time next year? Wii Sports or Wii Play?

Wii Sports by far, I'd say. It's the best multiplayer game out for the Wii in Japan at the moment, so few people will buy Wii Play for the controller without buying Wii Sports. A number of people will go the other way around, I think :)

jarosh

welp, since this thread is still running, i'll just post it here too. it's called milking. i learned it from nintendo.

nobebpo.gif

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Jarosh, you can sleep with my sisters anytime you want, such is your awesomeness.

Jammy

Banned
I think that anybody that sees the Wii and its games not having tremendous success in the next six months to a year in Japan is crazy. It's not like the 360 and PS3 have anything lined up for themselves. And even if the Wii didn't, its games will most likely have legs like no other.

Final sales for the Wii aren't even out guys; no need to make predictions on third party sales when we don't have them all.

If Tamogotchi fails that will be quite interesting though

J-Rzez

wow... just wow.

Seeing Zelda outsold by Wii sports is ****ing saddening... It's a bunch of mini-type games slapped together with imprecise controls... compared to something that's been worked on and polished for how long and is an incredible game?! It's sad the direction things are going over there...

This can only mean one thing... trouble is brewing... I can feel it, and I'm going to begin filling my stockpile of ammunition... It's the end of the world, an internal collapse of society...

People shouldn't be surprised at Jarosh... it's his expect A+ work! :lol

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Bebpo is f**king awesome. :lol :lol

Blue Dragon will easily outsell everything else on the 360 this Christmas. I'm hoping it'll be a top seller for any platform over in Japan. At the very least that would wake up MS Japan and force them to do nothing but RPGs from now on.

I'm not surprised by the Zelda news if Nintendo’s preaching is to be believed. They keep reiterating that their new platforms reach a new audience, which are buying these non-games in droves. That would explain why Zelda is selling so poorly while the non-games are selling exceedingly well. One could surmise that the core audience that Zelda caters to has probably moved on to other consoles, at least in Japan. This is of course assuming that Nintendo's statements about their new audience is in fact true.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
TekunoRobby said:
This is of course assuming that Nintendo's statements about their new audience is in fact true.

That means the only solution is.. Nintendo 3rd Party :(

Razoric

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
I'm not surprised by the Zelda news if Nintendo’s preaching is to be believed. They keep reiterating that their new platforms reach a new audience, which are buying these non-games in droves. That would explain why Zelda is selling so poorly while the non-games are selling exceedingly well. One could surmise that the core audience that Zelda caters to has probably moved on to other consoles, at least in Japan. This is of course assuming that Nintendo's statements about their new audience is in fact true.

:lol :lol

what the hell... zelda sold 140k in 2 days on a brand new system in Japan. how the **** can anyone say that is "selling poorly"?

Pellham

Banned
TekunoRobby said:

Because it's never too old to call people out when they do this but, what on earth makes you think Wii Sports and Wii Play aren't games?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'm a bit sad that the Waggle games are outselling Zelda. I hope Nintendo isn't extrapolating much from these recent turn of events. I would love to see the return of another massive epic like Twilight Princess.

Avalon

J-Rzez said:
It's a bunch of mini-type games slapped together with imprecise controls... compared to something that's been worked on and polished for how long and is an incredible game?! It's sad the direction things are going over there...

Might be wise to wait a bit... numbers are close, there could be a turn around.

But I agree with you. Why bother making games like Zelda when something that took only a fraction of the time and money sells just as well or even more.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Razoric said:
what the hell... zelda sold 140k in 2 days on a brand new system in Japan. how the **** can anyone say that is "selling poorly"?
No it's selling really well but it should've smoked by Wii Play and Sports. The development cost per sales ratio isn't in Zelda's corner though. Maybe I shouldn't have used the word poorly but I was just trying to illustrate that it should be doing better or hopefully be the top seller for the Wii since it is the system's strongest game right now.

Pellham said:
Because it's never too old to call people out when they do this but, what on earth makes you think Wii Sports and Wii Play aren't games?
Yeah I get the hate for the title but its the current GAF meme to label anything that isn't a traditional game as a 'non-game'. They most certainly are games and in the case of Wii Sports pretty damn fun.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Avalon said:

But I agree with you. Why bother making games like Zelda when something that took only a fraction of the time and money sells just as well or even more.
Nintendo spent 5 years to create a game that only sold 140K units. :lol Zelda is doomed.
2 days sales on a 350K userbase or not

TekunoRobby said:
Bebpo is f**king awesome. :lol :lol

Blue Dragon will easily outsell everything else on the 360 this Christmas. I'm hoping it'll be a top seller for any platform over in Japan. At the very least that would wake up MS Japan and force them to do nothing but RPGs from now on.

Their Japanese division should have been making nothing but JRPG's since last gen IMO. And they better have some more first JRPG's in the works beyond Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon 2.

Give Level 5 a call!

Haunted

marc^o^ said:
Nintendo spent 5 years to create a game that only sold 140K units. :lol Zelda is doomed.

Let's compare GC/Wii Zelda TP LTD in Japan to that 140k in a few months, before saying Zelda is doomed ok? ;)

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Their Japanese division should have been making nothing but JRPG's since last gen IMO. And they better have some more first JRPG's in the works beyond Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon 2.

Give Level 5 a call!
Any monkey could've told them that since they made the decision to sell the Xbox in Japan. Their fumbling was probably due to initial slow market management with the Xbox and the earth moving effort required to woo a Japanese developer to work on a JRPG for the Xbox. I just wish they would've completely concentrated all of their efforts to crank one out sooner rather than later. Luckily the timing for Blue Dragon's release was well planned since the system is still relatively new (and priced quite well) and it still has a decent chance to gain marketshare in Japan.

:lol on Level 5, I wonder how deep their hatred for MS runs.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Screw all you guys, I've been on board the bebpo/duckroll ship from the start of this zany adventure! :D
*hopes Idolmaster isn't region locked*

ethelred

Avalon said:

Why both? Because the market for games like Wii Play and Wii Sports isn't infinite and if you devote a hundred-person team to cranking out 10-man games that take a few months to make you'll flood the market and no more games will be sold?

Because hardcore gamers still represent an incredibly big and important demographic that is still profitable and still buys lots of games?

This argument is like traveling back in time to 1998. "Holy crap, this Pokemon thing is so popular, so cheap, so easy to make... we need to be concerned Nintendo will start making nothing but Pokemon!"

Top Bottom