• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bebpo is crazy, 360 has risen to the heavens and MC Data is out for the week

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, you guys are getting desperate.

There's sorta a big difference between the PS3 and Wii launch. PS3 had 80k units and RR7 did 25k, that's about 30% sold to PS3 owners. Wii had 350k units and Trauma Center/Monkey Ball did 4k, that's what 1%?

Seriously you guys are reaching. PS3 3rd party sales devour Wii 3rd party sales at this point, though X360 eats them all up.

Xeke

Banned
Bebpo said:

There's sorta a big difference between the PS3 and Wii launch. PS3 had 80k units and RR7 did 25k, that's about 30% sold to PS3 owners. Wii had 350k units and Trauma Center/Monkey Ball did 4k, that's what 1%?

Seriously you guys are reaching. PS3 3rd party sales devour Wii 3rd party sales at this point, though X360 eats them all up.

And the PS3 numbers were for the first week and the Wii numbers are for 2 days.
Not to mention that there were several better options then Trauma and Monkey for the Wii launch and we'll never know what the VC sales are, but with that huge list launching there I bet it affected sales too.

Good job chief. I'm glad you have a clue what you're talking about.

AniHawk

Bebpo said:

Maybe you're crazy.

Possibly.

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:

Aren't you the one relying on a bunch of PS2 ports and a sequel to some obscure game to boost the 360?

As neo said earlier, Wii third party sales were 12% of total two day sales. Around 80K. With the rest of the week in tow and Bleach coming the number is bound to grow. Since you're not counting Blue Dragon, it can be close between Wii and 360.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Bebpo I think you make a lot of sense and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Seriously, though, I think you'll be proven right on a lot of this stuff

ethelred

Bebpo said:

Yes, errr...let's base 3rd party sale projections and whether 3rd parties feel happy with software sales on 1 day worth of sales with almost no systems in the hands of gamers...

Yep! Great way to guesstimate! @_@

Xeke

Banned
kenta said:
Bebpo I think you make a lot of sense and I would like to subscribe to your newsletter

Well then it's good he has you to support him.:)

It's a kind gesture.

Xeke said:
Well then it's good he has you to support him.:)

It's a kind gesture.

HOV? What say you?

Lose one, let go to get one
Left one, lose some to win some (You lost one)
Story of a champion, sorry I'm a champion
You lost one

"Ok. So make another HOV..."

:D

Pachael

Alright, I swear that Bebpo's trying to do a sonycowboy here. Although I think that this month's the best chance for the X360 to shine in Japan, in my mind the battle's already lost and this month's more of a 'consolation' prize than a 'time to turn the tide!!'...

*2 weeks later*
Oh! Well that was a disappointment! Blue Dragon underwhelmed etc etc.

kenta said:

Bebpo speaks the truth! People are living in denial. :D

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
There's sorta a big difference between the PS3 and Wii launch.

indeed there is - 3 games that all shot over 100k. There was way more competition for these TWO DAYS of sales.

there is also a pretty large difference in profile between some of these games vs. RIDGE RACER (one of two games that didn't suck at the PS3 launch)

Anyways, you are ignoring a whole multitude of factors here

PS3 3rd party sales devour Wii 3rd party sales at this point

Do you think PS3 3rd parties are happy with the PS3 roll out and the (now) 4 weeks of sales???

I'm sure no one is hitting the panic button after 2 days either... well, yourself excluded obviously.

jett

D-Member
I don't like that topic title. This thread does not deliver, other than an episode of j-importers gone wild.

pswii60

Pachael said:
Alright, I swear that Bebpo's trying to do a sonycowboy here. Although I think that this month's the best chance for the X360 to shine in Japan, in my mind the battle's already lost and this month's more of a 'consolation' prize than a 'time to turn the tide!!'...

*2 weeks later*

Well surely 360 has to do 100,000 units as I thought 100,000 BD bundles had already been pre-ordered months ago, unless I'm mistaken? But I then expect the sales to drop nearer to where they were. But the 360 has a decent lineup for the Japanese in December with of course BD, but also Winning Eleven, Lost Planet, PSU, etc, and I'm sure there are also a few games people have missed but will now be buying with their 360s like DoA, Culdcept, etc

Bebpo

Banned
Pachael said:

*2 weeks later*

Actually I'm pretty neutral about Blue Dragon itself. I think it has several factors that are great like Uematsu (<3) and Toriyama monsters. But I have no idea if Sakaguchi and Artoon can make a good game dungeon/battle-wise so I'll stay neutral and see for myself on Thu/Fri when I get it.

But I do think sales-wise it's definitely going to be a big push for the X360 and I'm just giving a scenario that may play out if the push works. Like I said earlier I'm not suggesting the X360 will take the lead in software, nor am I suggesting it won't. I'm just laying out two ways the card could fall and I'm very interested to see what happens next week.

Branduil

AniHawk said:
Maybe you're crazy.

Possibly.

yotsubatoconfused4nj.jpg

Pellham

Banned
3rd party sales on Nintendo console are shit: no surprise

Now the 360 getting tons of cool games (especially jRPGs), well this is cool and all but the Dreamcast had the exact same situation (tons of RPGs, sims, adv ports, etc.) and look where that got it. Other than Blue Dragon, none of the 360's top tier japanese-oriented games are mass market system sellers. You can put all the hardcore games you want on it, in the end only gaming otaku are going to buy them.

However the 360's lineup + the inevitable failure of blu-ray does indicate the 360 just may do better than the PS3 in Japan. :D

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Goddamn it! Those are 2 day Zelda sales, which makes it even worse. UGH!

Well, at least this thread is entertaining enough to lessen my disappointment.

Jonnyram

Bebpo said:
There were only 5 games at launch for PS3, there were 16 for Wii. Then you compare the best-selling PS3 game with the 11th and 13th best sellers on Wii. And you expect the numbers to be comparable?

flsh

Banned
Jonnyram said:
There were only 5 games at launch for PS3, there were 16 for Wii. Then you compare the best-selling PS3 game with the 11th and 13th best sellers on Wii. And you expect the numbers to be comparable?

Also don't forget that comparing TC and SMB to RR is like comparing Halo to SSX to Okami. RR is a MUCH bigger seller in japan as opposed to the low numbers of all TC and SMB games.

john tv

Jonnyram said:
This reminds me of those Shane arguments on 1UP Yours/1UP Show in favor of PS3. The logic is inherently flawed yet he never backs down. :)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Jonnyram said:
yeah and he compares franchises like RR to Trauma Center seriously Im blown away by Bebpo's logic.

ethelred

flsh said:
Also don't forget that comparing TC and SMB to RR is like comparing Halo to SSX to Okami. RR is a MUCH bigger seller in japan as opposed to the low numbers of all TC and SMB games.

The only previous version of Trauma Center sold 24k over its entire lifetime in Japan. Given that, I'd say 4.1k in its first two days isn't too bad at all... but yeah, Beb can feel free to equate it to Ridge Racer.

Like Jonny said (and like I said earlier): a ton of games at launch, a ton of things for people to choose from, a limited number of consoles, and several first party blockbuster games. Yeah, the games are going to perform pretty poorly at first -- but they'll probably have pretty decent monthly sales, and pretty good lifetime sales befitting the fact that most of them are pretty niche games.

The only company here that should/could be genuinely disappointed is Bandai, whose three games did underperform pretty badly. But Atlus, Ubisoft, Tecmo, Konami? I doubt they can be that bummed about this.

ethelred

Maybe the non-Nintendo hardcore weren't willing to wait in line?

h-103_63911_wii004.jpg.jpg

Like Bebpo said:

Saner Bebpo said:
Yes, errr...let's base 3rd party sale projections and whether 3rd parties feel happy with software sales on 1 day worth of sales with almost no systems in the hands of gamers...

Yep! Great way to guesstimate! @_@

AniHawk

cvxfreak said:
I hope you people realize 3rd party Wii sales in sum total > PS3 third party sales in the same period.

But PS3's sales were hampered by the hardware supply. If there were more systems, and if the PS3 actually had good games, they would've sold more. Honest.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DCharlie said:
also remember that Hajimete no Wii comes with a FREE WIIMOTE.

I like to look at it as the Wiimote comes with a FREE Hajimete No Wii. :)

Elios83

cvxfreak said:
I hope you people realize 3rd party Wii sales in sum total > PS3 third party sales in the same period.

Two PS3 third party games at launch.How many for Wii?
Anyway I'd really like to see this week's full chart with PS3 and Xbox360 sales.

Oblivion

Error2k4 said:
:lol oblivion on suicide watch

Nah. I'm not so worried about the fact that Wii Sports is outselling TP so much as those TP sales just seem like its underperforming. I was praying it would reach a million, but the new goal is 800k for great justice! ;)

Bebpo

Banned
cvxfreak said:

Yes, because I'm sure companies share their combined profits with each other :p

cvxfreak

Elios83 said:
Two PS3 third party games at launch.How many for Wii?
Anyway I'd really like to see this week's full chart with PS3 and Xbox360 sales.

There were three. Don't forget Sega's golf game.

RR7 and Gundam PS3 each sold about 30,000 each in their first two days. Then came Resistance at 15,700 units.

I personally expected Gundam and Tamagotchi to do much better. But Swing Golf didn't do too badly (especially with Wii Sports around and looking how Sega's Golf did) and Red Steel is only a few thousand units behind Resistance. We'll need to see how these games perform over the next few weeks to get a better picture of third party sales.

Bebpo said:
Yes, because I'm sure companies share their combined profits with each other :p

I think Red Steel's western sales guarantee that one to be a hit, at the very least. Ubisoft for the win with the Wii, and I guess Bandai Namco with the PS3?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
we need a gaf Wii "Whipping Game"

Can we get the Whippin' Shawn license for it ?

LEVEL 3 ...

"WHO IS NEXT FOR THE WHIP WHIP?"

BEBPO !

they face away from you as the sit at their PC and Little speech bubble quotes come out of them .
Basically you just whip via the wiimote each time they says something unreasonable until they have had enough, then you use the nunchuk to execute the EGM Magazine elbow finisher.

LEVEL 4
WHO IS NEXT FOR THE WHIP WHIP? I BET YOU CANT STAND IT!

Duckroll!

*god my arm hurts*...

Nintendo just has to focus on selling as much hardware as possible. Once the userbase is there, developers really don't have a choice but to support the platform (see: Nintendo DS) and the bigger players like Square-Enix will move in.

There's only 300k systems out there, Wii Sports + Wii Play + Zelda makes it difficult for any 3rd party games to get any shine, let alone games that probably wouldn't sell much better on any platform.

Somehow I doubt if you put Elebits on the PS2 that it would be like a 50,000 first week seller even.

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:

Ok, so there were five games:

RR7 = 25k, better than any 3rd party game on Wii with 4x the hardware
Gundam = 20k, better than any 3rd party game on Wii with 4x the hardware
Resistance = 15k, better than any 3rd party game besides Golf on Wii with 4x the hardware
Genji 2 = 9k, the same as most of the 3rd party games on Wii and higher than a bunch of them with 4x the hardware.
Golf = no idea.

You and DC are making a foolish argument here. The PS3 3rd party game sales (RR7/Gundam...maybe Golf bombed?) with 1/4th the hardware did much better than the Wii 3rd party sales (16k for Golf and then everything else at 9k or 5k or below?).

Oblivion

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
You guys know what?

Tales of Destiny #1 :D

I read all the thread and now I am exhausted...and I still can't understand a thing! So...go Tales! :)

Though those Zelda sales are disappointing total, I do feel it's LTD will be higher than ToD. So enjoy your temporary victory. :p

I never thought a generation would outshine the SNES v. Genesis in terms of quality of games, competition, and hype, but PS3 vs. Wii vs. X360 is looking to overshadow the golden age of gaming.

Bebpo

Banned
AniHawk said:
Man, are people still talking about the PS3?

Look at my tag. Do you think I enjoy talking about the PS3? I'd rather be talking about the X360 J-RPG force, but Nintendo fans are just not willing to accept that Wii is a 3rd party nightmare from day 1 and they're trying to pull down Sony with them.

The thing is I really don't think devs look at third party sales as a whole. The PSP has a higher % of 3rd party sales proportionally for the software it sells. Yet 3rd parties are backing off the system.

Third parties first and foremost look at the overall userbase, especailly companies like Square-Enix. That's the problem for Sony if the Wii becomes a phenonemon in Japan even just off Nintendo's titles.

You can't keep bleeding in the overall marketshare numbers even if you fanbase buys more 3rd party content. The bigger 3rd parties will eventually want a mass market userbase ... that's why the DS is starting to get bigger and better 3rd party announcements now while the PSP ... well you know the rest.

Nintendo gets the userbase, the rest will take care of itself.

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:
You and DC are making a foolish argument here. The PS3 3rd party game sales (RR7/Gundam...maybe Golf bombed?) with 1/4th the hardware did much better than the Wii 3rd party sales (16k for Golf and then everything else at 9k or 5k or below?).

Popular series do better than less popular series. News at 11.

ethelred

Bebpo said:

Resistance = 15k, better than any 3rd party game besides Golf on Wii with 4x the hardware
Genji 2 = 9k, the same as most of the 3rd party games on Wii and higher than a bunch of them with 4x the hardware.
Golf = no idea.

So...

Ridge Racer 7, the latest game in one of Namco's most popular, successful series, that launched on the PS2 with over 230,000 in sales... sold 10k more than a cheap and easy golf game by Tecmo.

And we're supposed to find that impressive?

Yeah, 4x the hardware. You love stats, Mr. Wizard. How about you factor in that the PS3 had five games and the Wii had 16? What kind of an impact might that have on sales of specific games, hmmmmmm?

flsh

Banned
Bebpo said:

Golf = no idea.

How well would Wii third party games sell if the Wii launched with just 3rd party games? Because Resistance is an FPS and Genji is crap. Sony gave 3rd parties no competition.

Top Bottom