• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bebpo is crazy, 360 has risen to the heavens and MC Data is out for the week

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Bebpo said:
Ok, so there were five games:

RR7 = 25k, better than any 3rd party game on Wii with 4x the hardware
Gundam = 20k, better than any 3rd party game on Wii with 4x the hardware
Resistance = 15k, better than any 3rd party game besides Golf on Wii with 4x the hardware
Genji 2 = 9k, the same as most of the 3rd party games on Wii and higher than a bunch of them with 4x the hardware.
Golf = no idea.

You and DC are making a foolish argument here. The PS3 3rd party game sales (RR7/Gundam...maybe Golf bombed?) with 1/4th the hardware did much better than the Wii 3rd party sales (16k for Golf and then everything else at 9k or 5k or below?).
yes because there wasnt a game like TP, Wii Sports or Wii Play (which comes with a free Wiimote) in that line up. japanese 3rd parties didnt have to compete against sony's first party offerings meanwhile on Wii japanese 3rd parties had to compete not only with Zelda but with Wii Sports, Wii Play and Wario Ware.

you cant expect Trauma Center, SMB and Pangya to suddenly sell +50k copies in 2 days.

those are not famous franchises unlike RR

Bebpo

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Popular series do better than less popular series. News at 11.

So when is the next popular 3rd party series appearing on Wii so we can see if you are right? Will Bleach be good enough for you?

icecream

Public Health Threat
flsh said:
it doesn't really know what it wants from it, but MS has NO strong brand in japan.
Xbox had games japanese were fund of too, and they bombed.
Right, because the majority of Japanese gamers so wanted to play N.U.D.E. or Innocent Tears. The situation back then was a far cry from what it is now with the 360 gaining Japanese support that you know, actually matters.

XiaNaphryz said:
Don't forget Idolmaster hits in January! :D

/ducks
Not even a factor. It's going to do 80K at most and die off.

Ronok

Can someone tell me if anything other then wii sales data was posted so I can avoid the rest of this crazyness? >.<;;

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ethelred said:
So...

Ridge Racer 7, the latest game in one of Namco's most popular, successful series, that launched on the PS2 with over 230,000 in sales... sold 10k more than a cheap and easy golf game by Tecmo.

And we're supposed to find that impressive?

look at it this way.

at least your product has a market.

Oblivion said:
Though those Zelda sales are disappointing total, I do feel it's LTD will be higher than ToD. So enjoy your temporary victory. :p
This is the third of fourth time someone comes with the same argument after I say the same thing :lol

And yes, I know but still, ToD #1 this week makes me happy :)

Error

Bebpo said:
Look at my tag. Do you think I enjoy talking about the PS3? I'd rather be talking about the X360 J-RPG force, but Nintendo fans are just not willing to accept that Wii is a 3rd party nightmare from day 1 and they're trying to pull down Sony with them.
oh please, if only your logic wasnt as ridiculous maybe!

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Look at my tag. Do you think I enjoy talking about the PS3? I'd rather be talking about the X360 J-RPG force, but Nintendo fans are just not willing to accept that Wii is a 3rd party nightmare from day 1 and they're trying to pull down Sony with them.

AFTER TWO ****ING DAYS you are making this decission!
I'm sure this will be like your games reviews where we go from Game of the Gen, to shit, to great, to broken, to amazing, then back to shit again....

I'm not pinning anything on your opinion because it gets changed about as many times as a leppers bandages in a drawing pin factory

seriously , i'm losing it here - are you REALLY THIS THICK!?!?

I've lost the energy to explain it - and you now forcing your opinions down peoples throat as fact is making me wanting to commit mass murder (you - 12314 times)

*shakes fist*

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I don't truly know what this thread is about now, but keep going. I have a new bag of popcorn ready. :D

ethelred

Bebpo said:

Saner Bebpo said:
Yes, errr...let's base 3rd party sale projections and whether 3rd parties feel happy with software sales on 1 day worth of sales with almost no systems in the hands of gamers...

Yep! Great way to guesstimate! @_@

"Hey guys, hypocrisy is fun!"

Bebpo

Banned
Error2k4 said:
oh please, if only your logic wasnt as ridiculous maybe!

I like how almost every reply you've had in this thread has been a personal attack rather than a reply to logic. Obviously this is because my logic in this thread is infallible.

Error

ethelred said:
:lol

Bebpo said:
I like how almost every reply you've had in this thread has been a personal attack rather than a reply to logic. Obviously this is because my logic in this thread is infallible.
what? maybe you havent bothered to read my replies to you but I quoted you countless of times already explaining my points.

in fact I like how you ignored the post before that one.

Bebpo said:

So was the DS at one point. All it takes are games to sell a system and future software, doesn't matter from whom. If a game is innovative and good enough, it will sell the system and achieve market success. Nintendo doesn't need to get stressed over third party sales any more than Sony machines need to stress over first party sales. Good games will sell systems, regardless of which party it comes from.

DCharlie

you AREN'T using logic !!!!!!!!

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:
So when is the next popular 3rd party series appearing on Wii so we can see if you are right? Will Bleach be good enough for you?

I'd rather wait until Dragon Quest Swords, mainly because even PS2 Bleach games don't do miraculously.

Bebpo

Banned
ethelred said:

I think you missed several pages ago when you tried posting that and I pointed at that I said you can't guesstimate based on a launch with such SMALL numbers of hardware (80k). It's ridiculous.

350k is a whole different ballgame. If PS3 had 350k units, Ridge and Gundam would've been over 100k each and Resistance over 50k and heck even golf would've been 25k+.

DCharlie

I think you missed several pages ago when you tried posting that and I pointed at that I said you can't guesstimate based on a launch with such SMALL numbers of hardware (80k). It's ridiculous.

350k is a whole different ballgame. If PS3 had 350k units, Ridge and Gundam would've been over 100k each and Resistance over 50k and heck even golf would've been 25k+.

hold on - you've already went to lengths to show that the the XX million PS2 base doesn't mean that software sales grow in proportion...

... but now it suits your latest arguement, it does!

Seriously - which one is it????

Doesn't the Wii already show that this is wrong too?

"If PS3 had 350k units"

bummer - it doesn't - we could have had a level playing field to compar.... no but wait, we are STILL comparing 5 games vs 16 games!

By your logic - what sales would you expect if the launch line up for Wii was this :

Wii Sports,
Hajimete no Wii
Zelda
Trauma Center
Golf

... which of your logical thought processes applies to this Wii situation? ;)

AniHawk

Bebpo said:

350k systems is a LOT.

Just look at the DS launch. Look how many 3rd party games did SO well. It's no wonder why the system took over the world, and why so many 3rd party games are on it now. Because of its first few days of sales.

(I'm being sarcastic)

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:

But hey, the Wii just proved that number of units doesn't translate to higher software sales!

I refuse to believe that if 325K PS3s were out at launch that the software would have suddenly outsold the hardware.

Bebpo

Banned
cvxfreak said:
I'd rather wait until Dragon Quest Swords, mainly because even PS2 Bleach games don't do miraculously.

And then we'll be comparing Ridge Racer (a series that does around 500k) vs. DQ (a series that does millions). Sound like a fair comparison? At that point how about we wait until FFXIII so we can compare its sales vs. DQS. @_@

Error

Bebpo said:

you are missing the fact that Sony's first party offering for PS3 at launch is nothing like Nintendo with Wii.

Zelda+Wii Sports+Wii play+Wario Ware Wii vs Resistance and Genji

guess what games are going to sell more in japan?

3rd parties on PS3 had to compete against AAA FPS (keyword FPS) and a mediocre action game while on Wii 3rd parties had to compete against a AAA action/adventure game of a famous franchise and a couple of games geared toward the DSlite new breed of gamers and both specially Wii Sports were advertise heavily oh and wii play is basically a wiimote with a free game so uh of course it's going to sell and dont get me started on Wario Ware.

your whole argument falls flat when you choose to ignore Nintendo's first party offerings for Wii and then take into account a first party game by Sony.

DCharlie

And then we'll be comparing Ridge Racer (a series that does around 500k) vs. DQ (a series that does millions). Sound like a fair comparison?

.... seriously... go to the doctors...

you had no problem comparing Ridge to Monkey Ball and Trauma center 5 minutes ago!

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:
And then we'll be comparing Ridge Racer (a series that does around 500k) vs. DQ (a series that does millions). Sound like a fair comparison? At that point how about we wait until FFXIII so we can compare its sales vs. DQS. @_@

And comparing Ridge to something like Ennichi no Tatsujin and Red Steel is fair?

FYI DQ side stories seem to do between 300K and 500K as well.

Error

DCharlie said:
.... seriously... go to the doctors...

you had no problem comparing Ridge to Monkey Ball and Trauma center 5 minutes ago!
not only that but DQS is a spinoff that'll probably do like 250k at most so I say the comparision is fairly appropriate.

ethelred

Bebpo said:

And how would they have done if there had been sixteen games releasing that day instead of five?

And I like how you're now arguing by just waving your arms in the air and making up numbers.

For comparison:
PS2 Hardware: 630,552
PS2 Software (total): 411,624

Wii Hardware: 371,936
Wii Software (for just the top ten games): 556,922

Wii had 16 ****ing games, most of the third party ones were extremely niche (the only ones that could even be close to considered mainstream were Tamagotchi and SD Gundam), and you're lauding a 25k performance for Ridge Racer 7. Wow.

Bebpo
Go get some sleep man, there’s 350,000 (Or more depending on which tracking company you choose) consoles on the market. Those sales are the first two days. I’d expect with not a lot of games coming out this month, and it being Xmas and all that malarkey, those there games are gonna shoot away and leave most if not all PS3 titles so far scratching around in their wake.
Wii sold well in its first weekend on sale, with a new batch of consoles every week now those games are gonna keep on selling.

And anyway aside from Zelda and Red Steel those games probably cost about $20 to make and release. And won’t need to sell 500,000 copies to start making profit!

cvxfreak

ethelred, the PS2's top games that made Famitsu's top 30 ranking at launch totaled to 525,264. So if that's so then the Wii, with less hardware, managed to sell more software than even the PS2 did at launch.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Error2k4 said:
not only that but DQS is a spinoff that'll probably do like 250k at most so I say the comparision is fairly appropriate.

at least 500k.......even dq:kenshin did 1mil or ?

AniHawk

cvxfreak said:
ethelred, the PS2's top games that made Famitsu's top 30 ranking at launch totaled to 525,264. So if that's so then the Wii, with less hardware, managed to sell more software than even the PS2 did at launch.
Stop it. You'll unravel time and space itself.

cvxfreak

AniHawk said:
Stop it. You'll unravel time and space itself.

Total for Famitsu Top 10 Wii: 611,910

Just to keep the comparison with PS2 fair.

...why are we bringing the PS2 into this again? :lol

ethelred

cvxfreak said:

Because Beb said that if a system sells more than 80k, you can tell everything about how it will perform based on the first two days sales.

Hmm... PS2 might have sold too much, though. Okay.

If a system sells between 340k and 360k, you can tell everything about its lifetime software performance based on two day sales.

cvxfreak said:

PS2 has been brought into the argument because Wii is gonna beat it?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
just wow. I thought Bebpo and DC got on. 12 pages since I went to sleep. Need time to digest later on...

john tv

Bebpo said:
Ok, so there were five games:

RR7 = 25k, better than any 3rd party game on Wii with 4x the hardware
Gundam = 20k, better than any 3rd party game on Wii with 4x the hardware
Resistance = 15k, better than any 3rd party game besides Golf on Wii with 4x the hardware
Genji 2 = 9k, the same as most of the 3rd party games on Wii and higher than a bunch of them with 4x the hardware.
Golf = no idea.

You and DC are making a foolish argument here. The PS3 3rd party game sales (RR7/Gundam...maybe Golf bombed?) with 1/4th the hardware did much better than the Wii 3rd party sales (16k for Golf and then everything else at 9k or 5k or below?).
Bebpo, your argument doesn't work at all. You're forgetting that there wasn't a single FIRST PARTY game on PS3 that was worth a damn to Japanese gamers, which pretty much forced third party games to sell better than they might have otherwise.

Wii third party games didn't perform as well because there was far better first party shit to choose from. It doesn't say any more about third party performance on Wii as it does first party performance on PS3.

Your logic is not infallible -- it's just wrong. :)

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
This Bebpo reminds me the one who kept saying PSP dpad was the best in the history of controllers.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
dont forget how much them japanes guys are gonna spen on the vc games....their lineup is really strong:)

john tv said:
Bebpo, your argument doesn't work at all.You're forgetting that there wasn't a single FIRST PARTY game on PS3 that was worth a damn to Japanese gamers, which pretty much forced third party games to sell better than they might have otherwise.
I think thats the point, how many Sony first party games will have good sales?

The best Sony first party games won't have good sales in Japan except Grand Turismo and Minna no Golf.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
why the amazement at wii? Its tie ratio overall is pretty good. Just how many games do you expect people to pick up at launch?

and since when did relative 3rd party sales per platform = platform success?

Luckyman

Banned
deathkiller said:
I think thats the point, how many Sony first party games will have good sales?

The best Sony first party games won't have good sales in Japan except Grand Turismo and Minna no Golf.

White Knight, not so much?

I predict the 360 to sell 3 million units next week. Think about it, it has blue dragon. It can't fail!

This thread is a train wreck. At least the title change made me laugh.

john tv said:
Bebpo, your argument doesn't work at all. You're forgetting that there wasn't a single FIRST PARTY game on PS3 that was worth a damn to Japanese gamers, which pretty much forced third party games to sell better than they might have otherwise.

Wii third party games didn't perform as well because there was far better first party shit to choose from. It doesn't say any more about third party performance on Wii as it does first party performance on PS3.

Your logic is not infallible -- it's just wrong. :)

I haven't read through the thread properly, so I'm not sure what bebpo is on about...

...but surely that must be part of his point? There will always be far better first party games on wii, and there will always be far less top-selling first party games on ps3. The popularity of 1st party wii games at launch is not a freak random occurance, and nor is the absense of good 1st party games on ps3 at launch

cvxfreak said:

Isn't it obvious?

Every generation is simply a composite of all the events of past generations, therefore, comparing the first two days of wii sales to all other sets of two day launch sales of other consoles will allow us to identify the system the will track on sales within 50,000 units of hardware sold by teh end of its life cycle.

AniHawk

travisbickle said:
What's the "360 has risen to the heavens" reference? I can't look through the whole thread.

Blue Dragon sold more than any other game this week and boosted 360 sales like Bebpo-crazy.

AniHawk said:
Blue Dragon sold more than any other game this week and boosted 360 sales like Bebpo-crazy.
updnhem.GIF

Top Bottom