• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bebpo is crazy, 360 has risen to the heavens and MC Data is out for the week

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Amir0x said:
what would happen if the 360 suddenly started selling like the PS2 did? I mean, would... Satan just come out of the ocean to announce his marriage to a sea kraken?

I'm pretty sure he'd be playing a Tales game while wearing an outfit made out of True Crime cases.

And then I'd die.

Deku

Banned
parathod said:
While Metroid was never "Zelda big", it certainly was a strong series at some point. Zelda dropped off on the SFC and Link's Awakening (both versions) didn't even place. OoT almost meets the Famicom titles, but you have to keep in mind that Zelda:OoT was the most ambitious title for the N64 and was made in Japan. Majora's Mask, Windwaker, and Minish Cap all had good, but not classic Zelda great sales. So while Metroid sank like a rock, mostly attributed to a game design that doesn't cater to the Japanese, Zelda has been seeing a slower decline.

Metroid stagnated and died. A 3rd person action Metroid developed by Nintendo's A team would have kept the series alive, but Nintendo decided to turn it into a FPS to cater to the western audiences.

That probably won them some gamers, but they've made their bed. Metroid isn't going to be their JP IP.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Solsc said:
How much is Wii Sports and Wii Play?
Is it more or less expensive then Zelda?
wii sports is cheaper than Zelda and Wii play I guess cost the same as Zelda but it's bundled with a Wiimote

"The next PS2" is stretching things. I truly believe Blue Dragon will be a huge title and make 360 sales much better, but not PS2 level better. Remember, if the Xbox 360 started selling 10,000 units a week that would be a major increase. I think Blue Dragon could have that kind of effect, especially with the PS3 price and potential hardcore Japanese gamers wanted to wait for a pricedrop and more AAA Japan oriented software (such as FFXIII)

Amir0x

Banned
cvxfreak said:
Wii Sports: 4800 Yen
Wii Play: 4800 Yen (with a remote)

wait, Wii Play is the same price as Wii Sports in Japan AND it comes with a remote? Crazy Nintendo of Japan

Amir0x said:
what would happen if the 360 suddenly started selling like the PS2 did? I mean, would... Satan just come out of the ocean to announce his marriage to a sea kraken?
Mother 3 would be released in NA, that is what would happen.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
wait, Wii Play is the same price as Wii Sports in Japan AND it comes with a remote?

Dang and they're gonna charge $50 bucks here aren't they. Damn NOA

They call it regional pricing. It's innovative.

So the Japanese buy 2 games that are a little less expensive in huge sums over 2 days? Crazyness. What is making them want quicker games?

Amir0x

Banned
Battersea Power Station said:
You've got it all wrong. They're just waiting for the definitive, 'Cube version of Zelda.

Actually, won't the Cube version sell more by default? Or wait, it's not in Japanese stores regularly you have to order it online right?

AniHawk said:
They call it regional pricing. It's innovative.

+1 Zelda:TP reference. :D

Error

You've got it all wrong. They're just waiting for the definitive, 'Cube version of Zelda.
Cube version of TP wont be available on stores in japan, only online iirc.

like 30k copies at most the GC version of TP will sell

Y2Kev

duckroll said:
What, answering questions with facts is now insanity. Shit I better see a doctor about that. :p

No, not exactly.

You built a rational case with "facts" that does not make any sense. Yes, it's true that the 360 lineup is better the next month.

Your conclusion, though, is where the insanity lies.

Bebpo

Banned
I think I'll up what duckroll is saying and say Is there a single console in Japan with a better Japanese-orientated lineup in December than X360?. The PS2 has dried out mainly, the PS3 hasn't started, the Wii schedule is empty post-launch, and meanwhile the X360 has non-stop games for Japanese folk.

If X360 systems start moving, the software (Culdcept, [EM], etc, etc...) that's aimed at Japanese buyers will start moving as well. This would cause 3rd party developers to say "Hey, the X360 seems like the best place to make games that actually RETURN PROFIT" and to start working on and announce new Japanese beloved franchises for the system.

This in turn causes more people to buy X360 hardware for these new Japanese games, which in turn causes older software to sell more, which in turn causes new games to be announced, repeat.

This is the ball and how it rolls. IF (note this might not happen. Right now it's a complete gamble that no one has any idea if it'll pay off) it starts rolling the momentum would put the X360 into an ever moving chain of events to sustain it as the #1 console for Japanese gamers this gen. When the DS ball got rolling it was unstoppable. The X360 has a chance to do that and that chance is DECEMBER.

DECEMBER will either SAVE the X360 for the next 5 years or DESTROY IT as a total failure.

If I was a betting man I wouldn't bet either way because it's just too damn close.

Haunted

Imagine the GC version bombing hard compared to the Wii version (concerning attach rate, not overall sales) - would be hilarious
and redeem the japanese gamer's tastes a bit in the eyes of many posting in this thread
:lol

Error

Y2Kevbug11 said:
No, not exactly.

You built a rational case with "facts" that does not make any sense. Yes, it's true that the 360 lineup is better the next month.

wait duckroll is also saying 360=PS2 in japan? wtf?

Ashodin

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Duckroll and Bepbo have gone insane!
They're both the same person! AHHHHHHHHHHH

watermark.php

duckroll

Y2Kevbug11 said:

What would that conclusion be? That the Xbox360 software have a very good chance of outselling the PS3 software completely and utterly this holiday season? That has already happened last week. :p

Error2k4 said:
wait duckroll is also saying 360=PS2 in japan? wtf?

I'm confused too. What's going on?!

cvxfreak

Bebpo said:
I think I'll up what duckroll is saying and say Is there a single console in Japan with a better Japanese-orientated lineup in December than X360?. The PS2 has dried out mainly, the PS3 hasn't started, the Wii schedule is empty post-launch, and meanwhile the X360 has non-stop games for Japanese folk.

Uh, the Wii?

Maxrpg said:
They're both the same person! AHHHHHHHHHHH

watermark.php

So...

ethelred = jarrod
AniHawk = Fuzzy = me = Link316 = Vargas
Bebpo = duckroll

Odysseus

Banned
Bebpo said:
I think I'll up what duckroll is saying and say Is there a single console in Japan with a better Japanese-orientated lineup in December than X360?.

How many non- and minigames do they have coming?

Y2Kev

duckroll said:
What would that conclusion be? That the Xbox360 software have a very good chance of outselling the PS3 software completely and utterly this holiday season? That has already happened last week. :p

That Japanese developers will notice this trend and shift their development efforts.

Do you really see that happening?

"wait duckroll is also saying 360=PS2 in japan? wtf?"

No, that's Crazypo. I just think the idea that this has any real impact at all...I think it is spurious at best.

Amir0x

Banned
Bebpo said:
If I was a betting man I wouldn't bet either way because it's just too damn close.

To be fair, it's....not really close right now. It has been on the market for a year, and still has only sold half of what Wii sold in 2 days.

Even if, say, Blue Dragon quadruples 360 penetration it's gonna be a miracle in order to be the system of choice for Japanese gamers. I mean, a literal Jesus splitting the heavens and endorsing the 360-type miracle.

flsh

Banned
Chances of the 360 winning (Or rather, selling) in japan are really slim. BD may be good, but one game isn't enough. With the PS2 japanese gamers had a lot of games to buy, and the guarantee that games will keep coming out thanks to the brand name of the PS2.
It may be true that the brand name is not as strong thanks to the PSP and how sony showed it doesn't really know what it wants from it, but MS has NO strong brand in japan.
Xbox had games japanese were fund of too, and they bombed. It looks like japanese 3rd party developers are making western- oriented games instead, because they actually sell.
The amount of great selling franchises in japan is not that big, but a big part of it is Nintendo's or Sony's (Or exclusive to them like FF13), a few low tier RPGs won't start selling big on 360.

On the Wii's sales - I hope Zelda starts selling huge nubers, but the sales are good. Wii play comes with a controller so that is understood. Wii Sport sold very well.
Wario will have legs if history is anything to go by.

It's sad anything below Wario tanked, but that was to be expected.

Error

This is the ball and how it rolls. IF (note this might not happen. Right now it's a complete gamble that no one has any idea if it'll pay off) it starts rolling the momentum would put the X360 into an ever moving chain of events to sustain it as the #1 console for Japanese gamers this gen. When the DS ball got rolling it was unstoppable. The X360 has a chance to do that and that chance is DECEMBER.
except the DS wasnt struggling selling 5k more or less a week.

sorry bebpo but I dont see the 360 ever reaching PS2 like status.

Ashodin

Y2Kevbug11 said:
That Japanese developers will notice this trend and shift their development efforts.

More than LIKELY they'll see how much simple games like Wii Play and Wii Sports sell, and try to cash in on THAT cow.

The gaming business is about to take a trend for the worse in Amir0x's case. Japan will have an influx of simpler games for the Wii, while the big budget games don't get noticed as much. Over here in the states, we'll still crave big budget games, and we'll most likely see them from western developers.

duckroll

Y2Kevbug11 said:

Considering aside from Blue Dragon the entire line up for Dec I mentioned are third party games, I think the question has already been answered. :p

Amir0x said:
To be fair, it's....not really close right now. It has been on the market for a year, and still has only sold half of what Wii sold in 2 days.

Even if, say, Blue Dragon quadruples 360 penetration it's gonna be a miracle in order to be the system of choice for Japanese gamers. I mean, a literal Ameratsu splitting the heavens and endorsing the 360-type miracle.

Fixed. :p

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
I won't believe what these sales charts show until I see the way they look one year from today.

I'm not convinced that the Wii will sell more than the PS3, at least after 2008. They'd better have the Wii Lite in the works. It would be a good strategy, you know. Sell a short-term console for cheap (GBA) and then blow it up with a megasmash (DS).

Y2Kev

Error2k4 said:
except the DS wasnt struggling selling 5k more or less a week.

sorry bebpo but I dont see the 360 ever reaching PS2 like status.

If you pace their first year sales, 360 would have to accelerate RAPIDLY to match the PS2 LTD.

aeolist

Banned
Maxrpg said:
More than LIKELY they'll see how much simple games like Wii Play and Wii Sports sell, and try to cash in on THAT cow.

The gaming business is about to take a trend for the worse in Amir0x's case. Japan will have an influx of simpler games for the Wii, while the big budget games don't get noticed as much. Over here in the states, we'll still crave big budget games, and we'll most likely see them from western developers.
Even though Zelda and FFXII are two of the biggest selling games of 2006 in Japan? And both are very involving 50 hour + games?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Bebpo said:

If X360 systems start moving, the software (Culdcept, [EM], etc, etc...) that's aimed at Japanese buyers will start moving as well. This would cause 3rd party developers to say "Hey, the X360 seems like the best place to make games that actually RETURN PROFIT" and to start working on and announce new Japanese beloved franchises for the system.

This in turn causes more people to buy X360 hardware for these new Japanese games, which in turn causes older software to sell more, which in turn causes new games to be announced, repeat.

DECEMBER will either SAVE the X360 for the next 5 years or DESTROY IT as a total failure.

Don't forget Idolmaster hits in January! :D

/ducks

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
cvxfreak said:
Uh, the Wii?

So...

ethelred = jarrod
AniHawk = Fuzzy = me = Link316 = Vargas
Bebpo = duckroll
I'm two more people I didn't know about? I knew I was missing more time than I could account for.

Y2Kev

duckroll said:
Considering aside from Blue Dragon the entire line up for Dec I mentioned are third party games, I think the question has already been answered. :p

Oooh, correlation fallacy.

Come on, it is nonsense to link the games coming out next month with industry trends happening now, and SURELY you wouldn't be pointing to sterling 3rd party sales of 360 games in JAPAN.

It's not Brain Training! Took a while to make those games!

Haunted

Bebpo said:

I disagree very strongly with you there - a game with average sales on the PS2 kills any game that makes fantastic sales for the 360 at the moment. I also think that December will be one of the best, if not the best month for the 360 in Japan to date (if for Blue Dragon alone) - but saying that this possibility not only exists but that it is 'too close to call' wether it comes to pass is... well optimistic is probably not strong enough I think.

I am pretty confident that BD will sell well for the 360, move a lot of consoles, but nothing even remotely comparable to Wii or PS3 (if they can supply) numbers. Not even close.

edit: hm. beaten by 500 people to that post. a crazy fast board this is! :)

Ashodin

aeolist said:
Even though Zelda and FFXII are two of the biggest selling games of 2006 in Japan? And both are very involving 50 hour + games?
Can I get numbers? Of that, compared to nongames this year?

Y2Kevbug11 said:
If you pace their first year sales, 360 would have to accelerate RAPIDLY to match the PS2 LTD.
Not to mention actually have multiple games that consistently show up on the 10 ten in sales.

cvxfreak

Fuzzy said:
I'm two more people I didn't know about? I knew I was missing more time than I could account for.

Oh, the other two were from the GameFAQs days. AniHawk knows, maybe Jonny as well. But anyway...

I think the Wii has a very Japanese oriented lineup in December. Let's not forget Pokemon Battle Revolution and Bleach as well.

BuzzJive

Bebpo said:

You really are insane. It will be a miracle if the 360 pulls off Gamecube levels of sales and support in Japan. PS2 levels are absolutely, positively, 100% out of the question - even with several miracles factored in.

Top Bottom