• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

yup, I'm a little ethnocentric when it comes to beer (mostly unintentional), what are some good Washington/Seattle beers I should check out?

The best WA stuff either isn't bottled or doesn't see distribution to California. Fremont, Black Raven, Naked City, Reuben's Brews, etc.

My favorite brewery is Boneyard out if Bend, OR. Draft only right now and only in WA and OR.

KHarvey16

Usually hate IPA's but had a glass of 120 Minute since they had it on tap last night and enjoyed it a lot. Certainly isn't your typical IPA.

u mad

Neo Member
I wish there was an easy, cheap, convenient way to do beer trades.

Imagine the awesomeness that would result from the ability to swap local brews.

KHarvey16

Definitely not. More like paint thinner with a touch of apricot.

It was certainly warm going down but I thought it had some interesting flavors. Some beers hide their alcohol well but it definitely ain't one of those beers. Worked pretty good between my Founder's Breakfast stout and the Ommegang Witte. I realized though that the latter is not nearly as good as the Allagash White.

Tunic

It was certainly warm going down but I thought it had some interesting flavors. Some beers hide their alcohol well but it definitely ain't one of those beers. Worked pretty good between my Founder's Breakfast stout and the Ommegang Witte. I realized though that the latter is not nearly as good as the Allagash White.

Mmmm Breakfast Stout... One of these days I will have another bottle of this and finally try the Kentucky version.

u mad

Neo Member
While on Lagunitas topic, decided to pick up their Cappuccino Stout @ Costco. First time trying it. Not bad, not great. Not really complex, although they nailed the coffee notes.

IMAG0048-1.jpg

My sweet beer sweater coozie my mom gave me for Jesus day. Thanks mom!

kodt

Banned
Went to Goose Island Brewpub over the weekend and tried a few things:

Inspiration IPA - 6.2% ABV - Starts out like a typical IPA fairly hoppy, but finishes with a smooth fruity/citrus taste. This is nice if you don't like the bitter finish of some IPAs. Not my favorite IPA but I would drink it again.

Caber Toss - 7.3% ABV - This is listed as a Scotch Ale, it has a nice copper color but that is the only good thing I can say about this beer. I thought it tasted like piss. Did not enjoy the flavor at all.

Extremely Naughty Goose - 10% ABV - Imperial Brown Ale. Has a nice dark mahogany color, has a nice rich flavor of a strong nut brown ale with some chocolate. Good flavor, really enjoyed this one.

Resolutions - 10% ABV - Imperial Coffee Stout - This is one of the best coffee stouts I have had and probably has the strongest coffee taste I have had. Very smooth taste, not too thick like some Imperial stouts, but a very prominent smell and taste of coffee. If you enjoy coffee taste and want something drinkable, this is a good choice.

XL - 10% ABV - Imperial Oatmeal Stout - A solid but fairly typical stout. The oatmeal and chocolate flavors come out. Its good but not my first choice by any means.

thespot84

Went to Goose Island Brewpub over the weekend and tried a few things:

Inspiration IPA - 6.2% ABV - Starts out like a typical IPA fairly hoppy, but finishes with a smooth fruity/citrus taste. This is nice if you don't like the bitter finish of some IPAs. Not my favorite IPA but I would drink it again.

Caber Toss - 7.3% ABV - This is listed as a Scotch Ale, it has a nice copper color but that is the only good thing I can say about this beer. I thought it tasted like piss. Did not enjoy the flavor at all.

Extremely Naughty Goose - 10% ABV - Imperial Brown Ale. Has a nice dark mahogany color, has a nice rich flavor of a strong nut brown ale with some chocolate. Good flavor, really enjoyed this one.

Resolutions - 10% ABV - Imperial Coffee Stout - This is one of the best coffee stouts I have had and probably has the strongest coffee taste I have had. Very smooth taste, not too thick like some Imperial stouts, but a very prominent smell and taste of coffee. If you enjoy coffee taste and want something drinkable, this is a good choice.

XL - 10% ABV - Imperial Oatmeal Stout - A solid but fairly typical stout. The oatmeal and chocolate flavors come out. Its good but not my first choice by any means.

They were just bought by bud right? Any signs of it at the brewery?

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I just discovered Amstel Light, quite possibly the best light bier around. Nothink like Amstel in holland, but still, tasty!

kodt

Banned
They were just bought by bud right? Any signs of it at the brewery?

No Budweiser stuff anywhere to be seen there. From what I read when they were bought, Anheuser-Busch agreed to give them autonomy in their brewing process. No changes to their beers. Basically it just allows them to expand their distribution to keep up with demand.

IMAG0050-1.jpg

Definitely a ton of this left in STL. Charleville Box of Chocolates just came out too. 8 dollar bottle of beer and people are offering ludicrous trades for it

I'm heading to DC on Thursday night for the weekend to visit my wife's sister and her husband and their new baby. We're hitting up DC Brau since it's close to their house. Any other beers or places I should hit up?

They have Schlafly up there for sure. I went to one of the Dogfish head alehouse when I went to DC. Favorite vacation ever

We don't get Bells or Founders in WA, I wonder if they distribute to DC?

If that was your favorite vacation, you need to get out to Seattle, Portland and Bend. You'd be in heaven.

Not sure about Bells or Founders. Wasn't my favorite cause of the beer. There is just so much to do. Saw all of the monuments, capitol building, supreme court, and library of congress the first day. Second day went to three of the smithsonians. Seattle/Portland or Cali would probably be my destination of choice for a beer trip

Not sure about Bells or Founders. Wasn't my favorite cause of the beer. There is just so much to do. Saw all of the monuments, capitol building, supreme court, and library of congress the first day. Second day went to three of the smithsonians. Seattle/Portland or Cali would probably be my destination of choice for a beer trip

We've been to DC a million times to see all the monuments and everything, this is more to hang out and see the new baby and do local neighborhood stuff.

I've heard DC Brau is good, and they're family friendly which is a plus.*

*99.9% of all breweries in Seattle and the surrounding areas are family friend. Works out will since I've got a daughter who I take with me pretty much everywhere.

teepo

I'm heading to DC on Thursday night for the weekend to visit my wife's sister and her husband and their new baby. We're hitting up DC Brau since it's close to their house. Any other beers or places I should hit up?

I rarely venture into DC, but my regular hangout spots, Spacebar and Galaxy Hut, always have a wide variety of exceptional beers on tap with some great food to go along with it. Both locations have great clientele, a friendly atmosphere that is conducive to conversation, great music selection (especially if you're into the 90s indie rock) and their beer selection isn't "quite" as conservative as other brewpubs around the area though they could have a few sour ales from time to time if you ask me. Spacebar might be out of reach but Galaxy Hut is easily accessible via metro, via the Clarendon metro stop.

These are their current menus, which can change at any given time.

Galaxy Hut:
http://galaxyhut.files.wordpress.com/2011/11/newhutbeermenu6.pdf

Space Bar:
http://spcbr.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/spacebeer14.pdf

inside DC, we've been a regular at Bier Baren for years, which has improved steadily since going under new management but i have a hard time recommending it since it's a bit old fashioned and still rundown but it was for years known for having one of the largest selection of bottles in the states. ChurchKey is by far the best place to get beer in the city, but like a lot of brewpubs inside the city, if you can tolerate a room filled to the brim with pretentious DC yuppies, then by all means, do go.

and for family freindly... Dogfish Head Alehouse is a bit of a drive from DC, and knowing you, you're probably very familiar with their selection but don't expect the food to match up to the quality of their beers, well at least matching up to some of them since I do find a large portion of their beers to be highly overrated. I've only been to the Fairfax one, but from up top of my head, it's prob the best family friendly bar/restaurant that i know of in the area outside of the GAR establishment.

coincidentally, I'm back in the area for the time being, so if you and the wife happen to find yourself away from the family and want to meet up for a brew, we could always arrange something. hit me up on EB if so.

dekline

Keeping it simple again.

There's a liquor store on my block that I usually walk too. Unfortunately their selection isn't very big compared to the store across town. I just hate driving across town for beer.

thespot84

Keeping it simple again.

There's a liquor store on my block that I usually walk too. Unfortunately their selection isn't very big compared to the store across town. I just hate driving across town for beer.

If I could drink only one beer the rest of my life it might be 5 barrel.

Minus_Me

I remember having the Unibroue 17 at the 2007 Mondiale de la Biere in Montreal. It was hands down one of the best beers I had ever had at that point. Would love to find an aged bottle from 2007.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
So I stopped by Whole Foods after work and randomly picked up some craft beers having been inspired by reading this thread.

Anything good from this batch?

2013-01-14204456_zps7ae24edd.jpg

Can't say I've tried anything from Bell's. Prior to Double Jack I really liked Modus Hoperandi, but this takes that huge citrus/grapefruit flavor to the next level. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the hopslam, but I'm prioritizing Unibroue's 17 at the moment

Plus Brian Baird is a good guy and friends with my buddies who have a brewery here in Lexington. Got to try a lot of their stuff on draft.

I went to their taproom in Harajuku a couple years ago after a day of Yomiuri Giants baseball and an all-you-can-eat Brazillian steakhouse. Great beer.

Have you tried anything from 4 Hands B? Another STL brewery I've been curious about

4 hands is awesome and my second favorite tied with Urban Chestnut behind Schlafly. All of their stuff is good to great. If you can find their fall, Morning Glory, pick it up without hesitation. Otherwise any of their stuff is good. Divided Sky Rye IPA and Cast Iron Oatmeal brown are both excellent traditional styles. Pyrus and Prunus saisons are both good uses of specialty ingredients. Their stouts are all good too

Top Bottom