• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Awesome. Good to know someone here is familiar with a lot of the selections from local breweries. Saves me the trouble and money of taking blind stabs in the dark haha

I'll probably pick up some of their stuff along with 17 if I can find it

Beer Advocate has regional forums that are typically helpful and informative.
Oh I know. but I've found some good stuff to try out just from browsing this thread and from looking things up when in doubt. I usually do a mental catalogue of what I see and then inquire about it later. I like having someone here to answer a question directly rather than gather second hand knowledge from BA or Ratebeer. I just don't think I'd be that active a member on a forum that caters exclusively to beers like BA for the same reason I don't post on comics/music forums. I like that I can casually post in a catch all thread like this that pops up occasionally, because I lack the wherewithal to stay in the loop

t-ramp

Ruthless1.jpg

Pretty good. The guy that did the artwork for the label and packaging does nice work on other stuff, too.

matt360

Had Rogue's Bacon Maple Ale over the winter holiday. I thought I had to go to Portland to get it, but I was surprised coming home to Florida from Japan and finding it at my local liquor shop. It tastes exactly like you would imagine, for better or for worse. I split the bottle with three friends and we enjoyed it very much, but I doubt I'd be able to finish a bottle by myself.

JWBqr.jpg

Link

The Autumn Wind
I'm continually underwhelmed by Rogue. Ommegang, on the other hand, I love. Hennepin is one of favorite beers.

matt360

I'm continually underwhelmed by Rogue. Ommegang, on the other hand, I love. Hennepin is one of favorite beers.

Really, I love Rogue. Especially the Hazelnut Brown Nectar or whatever it's called. And I'm very interested in what the Ommegang Game of Thrones beer will turn out to be like, although I doubt I'll ever see it in Japan.

HiResDes

At least Rogue tries a large variety of styles and experiments with an incredible mass of different ingredients...Whereas other highly notable breweries like Stone basically stick to like two lanes, though they do those lanes rather well. Rogue is fantastic, get the fuck outta here.

Link

The Autumn Wind
At least Rogue tries a large variety of styles and experiments with an incredible mass of different ingredients...Whereas other highly notable breweries like Stone basically stick to like two lanes, though they do those lanes rather well. Rogue is fantastic, get the fuck outta here.
You ever hear the expression "Jack of all trades, master of none."?

HiResDes

Shakespeare Stout, Double Chocolate Stout, Brutal Bitter Ale, Hazelnut Brown Nectar, and Dirtoir Black Lager are all good beers. I'd put them up there with the likes of Avery and Great Lakes, which are both really good (maybe not great) breweries respectively.

matt360

You ever hear the expression "Jack of all trades, master of none."?

I actually agree with you on this to a certain degree. None of their beers are mind-blowing, but pretty much all of the ones I've tried are more than solid. Underwhelming isn't an adjective I'd use to describe Rogue.

That would be Sierra Nevada.

Rogue would be: "we suck so we make up for it with marketing gimmicks"

Except for Shakespeare Stout, that stuff rocks.

I assume that you're also a member of the Brewing Network (based off of your hop grenade), so I also assume that you have listened to interviews with him. I have been brewing since '96 and John Maier is a pioneer of American craft brewing, supports the homebrew community, and makes some of the best beer in the world PERIOD.

Since you only mention Shakespeare Stout, I'm betting that you have never been to the brewery in Newport nor their pilot brewery in Eugene. If you had, I bet you would recant your statement. As a transplanted Oregonian in Wyoming, I go back to visit family and Rogue is always a stop for me. Their Yellow Snow and Juniper Pale Ale are both fantastic beers when they are fresh. I also love aging Old Crusty and put it up against any other barley wine.

Also, Pac Man yeast attenuates as well as any yeast I have ever used and that is at 63F. It will chew through grists that have 20% specialty malt like a rototiller on crack cocaine. It leaves the rich maltiness without being cloying.

And this:

Best beer label EVER!! It is absolutely beautiful and still is within the Sierra Nevada style.

Rogue has a great headbrewer in Maier, but their business practices are absolutely terrible and make me hate their beer. They consistently charge more for their product when something that is just as good or better costs less. They hide behind the excuse of "screenprinting bottles is expensive" to justify higher costs, and then frequently sell the same beer under a different name to confuse the average consumer. And don't even get me started on the outrageously expensive growler fill prices at their restaurants. If you want good Oregon beer, there are plenty other breweries to support (Cascade, Boneyard, Hair of the Dog, 10 Barrel, Logsdons, Double Mountain, Crux, Deschutes, Gigantic, Upright, etc.).

With that said, John John Juniper is a good beer.

Minus_Me

A drinking buddy of mine is heading down to NYC for a few days with four of his friends. He told me that they have a maximum allowance of 24 beer bottles per person. So we're trying to see what would be worth hauling back across the border. We have dogfish head, Stone, Rogue, and Sierra Nevada on our list so far. Can you guys suggest anything else? All styles are welcome.

A drinking buddy of mine is heading down to NYC for a few days with four of his friends. He told me that they have a maximum allowance of 24 beer bottles per person. So we're trying to see what would be worth hauling back across the border. We have dogfish head, Stone, Rogue, and Sierra Nevada on our list so far. Can you guys suggest anything else? All styles are welcome.

I take it you're in Canada? New York gets Hair of the Dog (Oregon), I'd definitely get whatever you can. Also, Sixpoint makes nice stuff and they're out of Brooklyn.

matt360

I take it you're in Canada? New York gets Hair of the Dog (Oregon), I'd definitely get whatever you can. Also, Sixpoint makes nice stuff and they're out of Brooklyn.

You could probably pick up a bunch of Southern Tier stuff while in New York. They have a nice variety of dessert-type beers like mocha and creme brulee beers. Too sweet for me to drink a whole bottle by myself, but it's great if you share with friends. Their 2X IPA is also pretty good. There's also Ommegang and Brooklyn Brewery.

Yes Boss!

Thursday night for drinking...keeping it local. Flying Dog is the brewery a few mile away. Dogfish is about an hour away:

Nice Dogfish IPA four-pack:

beer_zpsa558a406.jpg

Flying Dog IPA nice:

beer2_zpsdb08ed56.jpg

belvedere

Junior Butler
4 hands is awesome and my second favorite tied with Urban Chestnut behind Schlafly. All of their stuff is good to great. If you can find their fall, Morning Glory, pick it up without hesitation. Otherwise any of their stuff is good. Divided Sky Rye IPA and Cast Iron Oatmeal brown are both excellent traditional styles. Pyrus and Prunus saisons are both good uses of specialty ingredients. Their stouts are all good too

Anyone from STL pick up any retail Cathedral Square? I bought a sixer from a local gas station (was surprised to see it carried there) and every bottle was over carbonated. Other than foaming over, the Hail Mary IPA was pretty tasty though.

Rogue has a great headbrewer in Maier, but their business practices are absolutely terrible and make me hate their beer. They consistently charge more for their product when something that is just as good or better costs less. They hide behind the excuse of "screenprinting bottles is expensive" to justify higher costs, and then frequently sell the same beer under a different name to confuse the average consumer. And don't even get me started on the outrageously expensive growler fill prices at their restaurants. If you want good Oregon beer, there are plenty other breweries to support (Cascade, Boneyard, Hair of the Dog, 10 Barrel, Logsdons, Double Mountain, Crux, Deschutes, Gigantic, Upright, etc.).

With that said, John John Juniper is a good beer.

I agree with everything you said (especially your tasty list of Oregon brews), except about growler fills. I think growler fills should be expensive and that certain beers shouldn't be available for fills. My logic is that some beers should only be enjoyed at the brewery. The kreik at Double Mountain is best enjoyed with one of their tasty pizzas. If you want a growler, they'll charge you over $40 (and I think that is a fair price considering the amount of cherries in each batch).

Anyhoo, gonna enjoy a saison I brewed with heather and orange peel, followed by a cascadian that I made with basil. Don't have to work tomorrow 'cause my students just finished their semester finals today!!! I also get to brew a cherry smoked red ale tomorrow for my brewing guild's next firkin!! Gonna be a great couple of days.

Decado

I wish we could get Dogfish in Vancouver. :( It's become so popular there isn't enough to ship to Canada.

For Canadians (and perhaps others), Unibroue has a new variety pack out:

Trois Pistols
La Fin Du Monde
Moudite
La Fringante

Their best yet, IMO. In fact, I doubt we'll see any better. I wish it was more widely available in my area. Distribution is probably just getting going.

I wish we could get Dogfish in Vancouver. :( It's become so popular there isn't enough to ship to Canada.

They do make really good beer, but I don't think you're missing what you think you're missing. As far as local beer, I would rather drink Elysian (from Seattle). I'm sure that some Seattle-ites could give you some tips of better local 'merican beer that you can get.

When I would head up to ride at Whistler Blackcomb I would always stay (and drink) at Howe Sound in Squamish. Is there beer still good?

Seattle beer? Fremont, Hilliards, Reuben's Brews, Big Time, Schooner Exact, Epic Ales, etc.

I agree with everything you said (especially your tasty list of Oregon brews), except about growler fills. I think growler fills should be expensive and that certain beers shouldn't be available for fills. My logic is that some beers should only be enjoyed at the brewery. The kreik at Double Mountain is best enjoyed with one of their tasty pizzas. If you want a growler, they'll charge you over $40 (and I think that is a fair price considering the amount of cherries in each batch).

Anyhoo, gonna enjoy a saison I brewed with heather and orange peel, followed by a cascadian that I made with basil. Don't have to work tomorrow 'cause my students just finished their semester finals today!!! I also get to brew a cherry smoked red ale tomorrow for my brewing guild's next firkin!! Gonna be a great couple of days.

A growler fill of one of their standard beers should not be $25. Why would anyone do that when you get something even better for $10. Heck, Boneyard charges $8 for a growler of ANYTHING.

Try their hazelnut brown, chocolate stout, john john (which is an oak aged dead guy), double dead guy (if you're into strong ales), or their honey orange wheat. That voodoo donut beer is trash.

In their restaurants I've gotten a half and half hazelnut brown/chocolate stout mix that I've heard them refer to as a 'snickers beer'. It's an amazing replacement for dessert.

matt360

Try their hazelnut brown, chocolate stout, john john (which is an oak aged dead guy), double dead guy (if you're into strong ales), or their honey orange wheat. That voodoo donut beer is trash.

In their restaurants I've gotten a half and half hazelnut brown/chocolate stout mix that I've heard them refer to as a 'snickers beer'. It's an amazing replacement for dessert.

That sounds awesome.

Cr0wn0

Anyone else just not like IPA's? I have tried and tried them and I just cant do it. I picked up a bottle of enjoy by today and I can barely stand to drink it. I wonder if hops just bring out a different flavor for some people?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Just stocked up on some beer from my local store to keep me going through this horrendous snow disaster that the UK is now enduring!! (not my photos)

Good stuff.

English Bitters have the best names.

Top Bottom