• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Link

The Autumn Wind
Anyone else just not like IPA's? I have tried and tried them and I just cant do it. I picked up a bottle of enjoy by today and I can barely stand to drink it. I wonder if hops just bring out a different flavor for some people?
With a few exceptions, I'm right there with you. It's almost a struggle to get through a glass.

PG2G

Anyone else just not like IPA's? I have tried and tried them and I just cant do it. I picked up a bottle of enjoy by today and I can barely stand to drink it. I wonder if hops just bring out a different flavor for some people?

I thought I hated IPAs but recently there have been a couple i really enjoyed. Pliny the Elder, one by Kern River, and Lagunitas Sucks. All IPAs but the bitterness isn't overwhelming.

that said, I don't I have ever enjoyed anything Stone put out :p I haven't had the enjoy by yet though

Joico

CA Places to go:

Golden Road Brewing - Los Angeles, CA
http://goldenroad.la/beer/

Eagle Rock Brewery - Los Angeles, CA
http://eaglerockbrewery.com/page/beers

Sunset Beer Company - Los Angeles, CA
http://sunsetbeerco.com/

Sunset is a bar that carries hundreds of different beers. If you are looking to get something special that's not made there, definitely check them out.

Check if they have seasonal stuff out.

Places outside of Los Angeles if you want to travel:
Ladyface Ale Companie - Agoura Hill, CA
Gordon Biersch - Burbank, CA

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Had something called a Bombshell Blonde last night. Freakin' awesome beer, and it went so well with my Chinese takeout. I really like Shiner Black but I think I may have a favorite new Texas beer (no, I have not tried Lone Star).

3467922815_8210b13c83.jpg

Source of pic: http://beernotfear.blogspot.com/2009/09/heard-any-good-blonde-jokes-lately.html

I also picked this up at the store cuz I thought it looked cool. Will drink tonight.

pyramid_breweries_old.jpg

fenners

Had something called a Bombshell Blonde last night. Freakin' awesome beer, and it went so well with my Chinese takeout. I really like Shiner Black but I think I may have a favorite new Texas beer (no, I have not tried Lone Star).

Lone Star is cheap shit. Don't try it.

There's a lot of great beers from Texas, unfortunately a lot of poor distribution outside the state. Look out for just about anything by Jester King, Adlebert, 512, Real Oak etc.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Lone Star is cheap shit. Don't try it.

There's a lot of great beers from Texas, unfortunately a lot of poor distribution outside the state. Look out for just about anything by Jester King, Adlebert, 512, Real Oak etc.

Good thing I'm in Texas then lol! Thanks for the suggestions I will look out for them.

Friend told me everyone in Austin drinks Lone Star like it's something you SHOULD order at a bar. Never been there myself.

fenners

Good thing I'm in Texas then lol! Thanks for the suggestions I will look out for them.

Friend told me everyone in Austin drinks Lone Star like it's something you SHOULD order at a bar. Never been there myself.

It's Austin's PBR. It's really nothing special at all. Not even close to a good beer.

kodt

Banned

The one cool thing about Lone Star is the puzzles on the bottom of the bottle caps.

But you can save some money by just getting the free Lone Star Puzzle Caps App on your phone :)

Just stocked up on some beer from my local store to keep me going through this horrendous snow disaster that the UK is now enduring!! (not my photos)

Good stuff.

I'm a big fan of Hobgoblin and, though I've only found it around here once, King Goblin. The former is often on tap at my local tavern. Pretty sessionable, so it's my usual when I go out.

mcfrank

Headed to LA for the weekend. Anything I should be looking for that rarely leaves California?
If you happen to make it to Pasadena (where I live) head out to one of the Lucky Baldwins or Congregation Ale house. Great places to find good beers.

I spent way too much at Lucky Baldwins tonight. Had 2x craftsman acorn saison, a diversity and lille, and a ichtegems grand cru and my wife had 2x craftsman heavenly hefs

Drinking lots of Bells and Great Lakes in DC. Had a Cantillon Fou Fone at Granville Moore on H Street, too. Fantastic.

Heading to DC Brau later today.

kodt

Banned
Did a Quad tasting last night here are the results:

1. Westvleteren 12
2. Trappistes Rochefort 10 (tie)
2. St. Bernardus Abt 12 (tie)
4. La Trappe Quadrupel

Individual rankings:

1. Westvleteren 12
2. Trappistes Rochefort 10
3. St. Bernardus Abt 12
4. La Trappe Quadrupel

1. Westvleteren 12
2. St. Bernardus Abt 12
3. La Trappe Quadrupel
4. Trappistes Rochefort 10

1. Trappistes Rochefort 10
2. Westvleteren 12
3. St. Bernardus Abt 12
4. La Trappe Quadrupel

1. Westvleteren 12
2. La Trappe Quadrupel
3. St. Bernardus Abt 12

Other beers we drank:

Bells Hopslam
Dechutes Red Chair NWPA
Lagunitas Sucks
Allagash Black
Firestone Walker IPA
Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12

Did a Quad tasting last night here are the results:

1. Westvleteren 12
2. Trappistes Rochefort 10 (tie)
2. St. Bernardus Abt 12 (tie)
4. La Trappe Quadrupel

Individual rankings:

1. Westvleteren 12
2. Trappistes Rochefort 10
3. St. Bernardus Abt 12
4. La Trappe Quadrupel

1. Westvleteren 12
2. St. Bernardus Abt 12
3. La Trappe Quadrupel

1. Trappistes Rochefort 10
2. Westvleteren 12
3. St. Bernardus Abt 12
4. La Trappe Quadrupel

1. Westvleteren 12
2. La Trappe Quadrupel
3. St. Bernardus Abt 12

Other beers we drank:

Bells Hopslam
Dechutes Red Chair NWPA
Lagunitas Sucks
Allagash Black
Firestone Walker IPA
Stone Vertical Epic 12.12.12
Was that a blind tasting?

Minus_Me

When I was in Italy, I came to enjoy the Rochefort 10 way more than the Westy 12. I will conceded that they weren't aged bottles. It seems that plays a big part in the complexity of the Westy 12.

kodt

Banned
Was that a blind tasting?

It wasn't, I know it would have been better to do it that way but we were more concerned with just trying them.

I ranked the Westy just slightly above the Rochefort. A few people really did not like the Rochefort for whatever reason, I was slightly surprised.

Minus_Me

How about the near legendary Pliny the Younger? Is that impossible to get a hold of? I couldn't be happier with the Quebec Brewing industry, but we need access to more american craft beers.

How about the near legendary Pliny the Younger? Is that impossible to get a hold of? I couldn't be happier with the Quebec Brewing industry, but we need access to more american craft beers.

I've never been able to get it in oregon. The only time it was available at my bottleshop, it sold out in less than a day and was $8 for a small glass. I've never been disappointed by a russian river beer, though.

Minus_Me

I'm really annoyed that I don't have access to a lot of good stuff. Makes travelling a good option for trying as much stuff as possible, which is a positive of taking a vacation.

PG2G

Pliny the Younger releases are crazy over here, loooooong lines of people. I don't think I can be bothered, especially when some of the bars only get a keg or so.

Picked up some Hitachino Nest XH and Old Rasputin. Pretty psyched about the Hitachino. Also saw a few bottles of the Mephistopheles, do those live up to the hype? The ABV is pretty damned high

Pliny the Younger releases are crazy over here, loooooong lines of people. I don't think I can be bothered, especially when some of the bars only get a keg or so.

I had PtY last February in Seattle. My neighborhood bottle shop got a keg, so they sold $6 tickets that got you a glass the following Saturday when they tapped it. Worked very well.

It's a very well balanced Imperial IPA, strong malt sweetness with a great compliment of citrus hops. I feel it is the victim of the hype machine as many big beers are, though.

Night one in LA. Ended up going to the grocery store for the liquor run, so options were slim. However, was able to snag a 6 pack of Pale 31 (AMAZING) and a bomber of Double Jack and Double Barrel. Currently on the 2nd half of the Double Jack bomber and yum! Chances of a trip to San Diego on Monday, so maybe another beer pick up there...we'll see.

PG2G

Night one in LA. Ended up going to the grocery store for the liquor run, so options were slim. However, was able to snag a 6 pack of Pale 31 (AMAZING) and a bomber of Double Jack and Double Barrel. Currently on the 2nd half of the Double Jack bomber and yum! Chances of a trip to San Diego on Monday, so maybe another beer pick up there...we'll see.

What part of LA are you in?

Drinking a Lagunitas Sucks right now, this beer is absolutely fantastic. Cant really be beat for $10 a six pack

Decado

When I was in Italy, I came to enjoy the Rochefort 10 way more than the Westy 12. I will conceded that they weren't aged bottles. It seems that plays a big part in the complexity of the Westy 12.

Have you ever tried aged Rochefort 10? I had a 7-year-old bottle when I was in Belgium and it was the most amazing thing I ever tasted.

Sadly, I cannot find a place that sells aged bottles in my area :(

Minus_Me

A seven year old bottle? Sounds glorious. I'm happy its readily available in Quebec now. Don't have to go out of my way to enjoy it.

Yes Boss!

So jealous of beer drinkers from the USA :(

Don't be, take advantage of everything in your territory.

I'm from California...Orange County and San Francisco so I've got access to all the great west coast stuff like Stone, Bear Rebublic, Lagunitas, Russian River, Sierra Nevada, Bruery, etc but still cherish drinking beer in Belgium. Appreciate what you have locally!

Top Bottom