• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT|

Well thanks to this thread I went out and got a La Fin du Monde, they were out of the small ones so I grabbed a 750ml. For a blonde it was pretty strong. Are all Unibroue's beers this good? Are the Trader Joe's branded ones any good?

La Fin du Monde is probably their best but they are all high quality (except for Ephemere which I thought was kind of lacking).

My favorite from them is Trois Pistoles, give that one a shot.

6dLRA.jpg

Pretty damned jazzed about the Double Jack there. Supposed to be better than Pliny...

As long as Pliny isn't available here in MO, I'm gonna continue to believe its better than Pliny :/

Drinking the extra stout now, damn Schlafly's special stuff is awesome. Wish this was available year round

As long as Pliny isn't available here in MO, I'm gonna continue to believe its better than Pliny :/

Drinking the extra stout now, damn Schlafly's special stuff is awesome. Wish this was available year round

Yeah I love that beer. I wish Schlafly did more bombers and special stuff, but their six packs are so consistent. Extra Stout, Winter ESB, Coffee Stout, and TIPA are all awesome this time of year

Yeah, Schlafly is damned solid. In all the years I've been here, I've never tried O'Fallon or Boulevard though. That place I've been hitting up, WolfBrau's got tons of stuff in bombers. Have you tried Bat Creek's stuff B? They're supposed to be based out of MO. Saw it there at WolfBrau and was curious about it

Yeah, Schlafly is damned solid. In all the years I've been here, I've never tried O'Fallon or Boulevard though. That place I've been hitting up, WolfBrau's got tons of stuff in bombers. Have you tried Bat Creek's stuff B? They're supposed to be based out of MO. Saw it there at WolfBrau and was curious about it

The only thing I had was Machine Shed Stout which was pretty solid and reasonably priced. I've got a personal beef with Wolfbrau but the dude knows his stuff and generally has a decent selection for the size of his store. Admittedly I tended to go to Friar Tuck when I lived in St. Charles County, but the last time I was there half of their shelves were empty. Looked like they were going out of business.

O'Fallon recommendations are 5 Day IPA and Smoke. Smoke especially because they are discontinuing it and it is a really high quality Smoked Porter. Wheach is great for the pool because it is sessionable and canned. Boulevard is awesome, but huge. You could spend a couple months getting into their good stuff. Pick up a bottle of Rye on Rye if they have it. This years just came out and it is always great

Thanks for the recs man. Appreciate it. Sorry to hear about WolfBrau, may I ask what went wrong there? The owner seems like a pretty friendly guy when I talked to him

He came to my homebrew club's monthly meeting when he first moved in and his attitude and something he said left me with a bad impression of him. No one else in the club seemed to care, so I'm probably just being a baby. I'm in West County now so I mostly go to Lukas Liquor and Randall's Wine and Spirits. Ever been to Exit 6 in Cottleville on Highway N at Mid Rivers?

HiResDes

Well thanks to this thread I went out and got a La Fin du Monde, they were out of the small ones so I grabbed a 750ml. For a blonde it was pretty strong and not bitter at all. Are all Unibroue's beers this good? Are the Trader Joe's branded ones any good?

Maudite is also excellent.

Can't say I have. I live fairly close to Cottleville so I'll definitely be checking that out. I went to WolfBrau on a lark as I was passing through Barnes to look for a book and just happened to notice they'd opened up, I considered it to be a pretty fortuitous moment as I haven't been able to find anything close to home that carried a good selection. More options are always a good thing. I'll definitely hit up Exit 6 on my next day off. Trying to score some Dragon's Milk. WolfBrau had a 4 pack for $15 and change which made me go "well then... Moving along..."

Friar Tuck definitely has Dragon's Milk but I can't speak for the price. Exit 6 is cool and usually has some notables. The guy that opened it was actually the founder of our homebrew club. Big bald guy with a goatee named Jeff, he is there almost all of the time so you will probably run into him. I usually go to International Taphouse in Chesterfield on Mondays because they do half off half the taps. Best deal on craft beer in town

Oh.. No kidding! Alright if he's cool with you, then I'll definitely pop in for a look. It'd be nice if his prices are competitive with wolfbraus too, I'm usually in Cottleville cause I'm currently takin some Cisco courses over at SCC so that works out nicely

Oh.. No kidding! Alright if he's cool with you, then I'll definitely pop in for a look. It'd be nice if his prices are competitive with wolfbraus too, I'm usually in Cottleville cause I'm currently takin some Cisco courses over at SCC so that works out nicely

Sorry, didn't mean to be misleading dude. Exit 6 is a nanobrewery/beer bar. Usually has 4-6 of his own beers on tap and 10-15 from craft breweries. Still worth checking out, but nothing to go. He might have growlers but was out last time I was there

Tunic

Boneyard's Hop Venom is seriously better than Pliny. If you're in Oregon or Washington and see it on tap, DRINK IT.

They have RPM on tap at 99 Bottles for fills right now. I am planning on going down there to try it out. Haven't tried any of their beers yet.

They have RPM on tap at 99 Bottles for fills right now. I am planning on going down there to try it out. Haven't tried any of their beers yet.

I love Boneyard, probably my favorite brewery. Got a hoodie and a pint glass on my trip to Bend last May. My dayghter actually has two of their onesies. They make absolutely incredible beer. RPM is no slouch.

Just arranged my first internet beer trade. Helped a guy track down some Oud Bruin that he hasn't had in a couple years. Getting a bunch of Three Floyds (Gumballhead, Zombie Dust, Alpha King and a random bomber) in return.

Just this once. I will do it just this once. I don't need another obsessive hobby.

Tunic

Just arranged my first internet beer trade. Helped a guy track down some Oud Bruin that he hasn't had in a couple years. Getting a bunch of Three Floyds (Gumballhead, Zombie Dust, Alpha King and a random bomber) in return.

Just this once. I will do it just this once. I don't need another obsessive hobby.

I was once addicted to this and it turned into an expensive hobby and I had to stop. I would like to get back into it one day. I always seeked Three Floyds beers, and all of the beers I was lucky enough to try are amazing.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

I did it once. I got a Sierra Nevada/Russian River Sour Brown from CBC a few years back and people were still under the impression that it was good. Some dude gave me a bottle of Dark Lord 2010, a bottle of Firestone Walker Abacus, a bottle of Gose from Bruery, and some other random Bruery Provisional beer. For a single 12oz bottle of mediocre sourness.

Rareness drives some people to do dumb things.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Trading is too expensive as a general proposition because the shipping is equivalent to the cost of the beer.

This guy was posting in the PNW forum over at Beer Advocate about a beer called Alvinne Undressed. I guess he had it a couple years ago and loved it, but it's not easy to find. He spotted the owner of a local bottle shop (99 Bottles) drinking it on Untappd and then was asking if anyone could help him get a few bottles. I don't mind, but will probably do it just this once. Too much good stuff is available here as it is, I don't need to get in the habit of dropping tons on shipping costs to get beer.

Although, I'm getting the better end of the deal. 3 375ml bottles ($20) for 6 12 oz. bottles and a bomber of FFF.

dekline

The Auroch's horn. Ale brewed with honey and rhubarb added.

iPLkItziN57iR.jpg

Trying it now and it's unlike anything I've ever drank. Not good or bad. Just unique.

Tunic

Picked up a growler of RPM IPA today as well as some bottles of Killer Penguin, Bigfoot 2013, Doggie Claws, Stormwatchers, and Big Eddy Imperial Stout. Going to be a great weekend!

Yeah, I got my Boneyard growler filled with RPM during my lunch break today. Can't wait to crack it on Sunday during the Hawks game.

Picked up a growler of RPM IPA today as well as some bottles of Killer Penguin, Bigfoot 2013, Doggie Claws, Stormwatchers, and Big Eddy Imperial Stout. Going to be a great weekend!

Sit on the Doggie Claws for a while (ie. until Summer). All the cases sent to WA are flat as a board right now. Doggie Claws is bottle conditioned, so it will develop carbonation over time.

291150513f7f48948d8611ede72a9e45_640x640.jpg

Killed the keg at my neighborhood pub. Soooo good.

Tunic

The Doggie Claws I got was from 2010. I missed out on the newest batch. Wish I could have helped you kill that keg there!

The Doggie Claws I got was from 2010. I missed out on the newest batch. Wish I could have helped you kill that keg there!

Oh, 2010 is ready to go, might actually be a bit of a gusher. My last 2010 DC went all Vesuvius on my hallway floor. Throw it in the fridge for 24 hours.

Stasis

La Fin du Monde is probably their best but they are all high quality (except for Ephemere which I thought was kind of lacking).

My favorite from them is Trois Pistoles, give that one a shot.

Which Ephemere did you find lacking, apple or blackcurrant? Not a fan of the apple version, but I like the blackcurrant from time to time, especially in the Summer out on the deck.

U Blonde/Miel and Blonde de Chambly are my go-to regular beers, but I'll pick up a bottle of 17 sometimes if I want something darker... I think you'd like that if you like Trois Pistoles.

Dunno what's available to you. I actually live IN Chambly, the small town near Montreal where they're located.

Boulevard is awesome, but huge. You could spend a couple months getting into their good stuff. Pick up a bottle of Rye on Rye if they have it. This years just came out and it is always great

Big second on getting into Boulevard. If you do manage to find a bottle of the Rye this late, I'd recommend laying it down at least a year before you drink it. Good fresh, great aged.

The Wheat and Pale Ale are obviously their flagship beers but they've pretty much got all seasons and most styles covered. Coming up is the excellent Irish Ale, which I highly recommend. They also recently started bottling their 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat, which is probably in my top 10 overall and easily the Boulevard brew I drink the most of. As for the year-round Smokestack bottles, the Tank 7 is top of the mountain in my opinion.

Sorry to hijack, I get excited when people are talking about my hometown brewery.

Big second on getting into Boulevard. If you do manage to find a bottle of the Rye this late, I'd recommend laying it down at least a year before you drink it. Good fresh, great aged.

The Wheat and Pale Ale are obviously their flagship beers but they've pretty much got all seasons and most styles covered. Coming up is the excellent Irish Ale, which I highly recommend. They also recently started bottling their 80 Acre Hoppy Wheat, which is probably in my top 10 overall and easily the Boulevard brew I drink the most of. As for the year-round Smokestack bottles, the Tank 7 is top of the mountain in my opinion.

Sorry to hijack, I get excited when people are talking about my hometown brewery.

Hijack all you want. Most people in this topic could probably say more about Boulevard than I could. Never been huge on them, but they do have a few I love, Rye on Rye and Tank 7 included

Hijack all you want. Most people in this topic could probably say more about Boulevard than I could. Never been huge on them, but they do have a few I love, Rye on Rye and Tank 7 included

They remind me a lot of New Belgium. They became popular on a style that can tempt the BMC crowd by being slightly more flavorful, yet largely inoffensive (Fat tire, Boulevard wheat) and available everywhere (at least in the midwest). Their mixed 12 packs and what they have in 6 packs or on tap at most places is so-so to decent in most cases, but the Smokestack Series (Boulevard) and the Lips of Faith Series (NB) can compete with the best of them.

Speaking of which, tonight was a Spaten Optimator and Boulevard's 6th Glass Quad kind of night. It was a good night!

They remind me a lot of New Belgium. They became popular on a style that can tempt the BMC crowd by being slightly more flavorful, yet largely inoffensive (Fat tire, Boulevard wheat) and available everywhere (at least in the midwest). Their mixed 12 packs and what they have in 6 packs or on tap at most places is so-so to decent in most cases, but the Smokestack Series (Boulevard) and the Lips of Faith Series (NB) can compete with the best of them.

Speaking of which, tonight was a Spaten Optimator and Boulevard's 6th Glass Quad kind of night. It was a good night!

Definitely. That's a good way to put it. I do like being able to get an Abbey and Trippel in a six pack though. Thanks NB!

mcfrank

If anyone finds Boulevard's Saison-Brett in Southern California, let me know. I really want to try it. A few places around here are starting to carry the Smokestack Series. I drank a Love Child #2 for New Years Eve and it was damn amazing. Growing up in Wichita, KS I will say Boulevard was a gateway into better beers.

I drank the logsdon seizon Bretta the other day and loved it. I am aging another bottle for a few years. I may pick up a few more while they are in circulation.

Peche n Brett hit Portland yesterday and sold out in around two hours. We're supposed to get a shipment in Seattle soon, hopefully I'm in the right place at the right time.

Top Bottom